Couple of LOTR questions...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

LOTRLuver
Hello Everyone!

I saw ROTK on Friday and not only bawled my eyes out but I am dying to see it again!

To get my "fix" I watched The Two Towers and then caught Fellowship this AM (so cool how much foreshadowing there is once you have seen them all!)

Anyway, I have a couple questions...I have't read the books yet and all my friends who have urge me to. I definitely will! But in the meantime, can someone help with these: embarrasment

1) In the beginning of Fellowship, they talk about nine rings that were cast and of course the "one ring to rule them all." Who made these rings? Why nine (man, elves, dwarfs, and then who?) I think Sauron made the rings...but if so, why did anyone take them and who put him in charge?

2) How EXACTLY did Biblo get the ring? Had he met Gollum? At one point in the movie, Frodo says about Gollum "Bilbo should have killed him when he had the chance!" WHEN DID THEY MEET? And when Gollum was tortured into saying "Baggins Shire" was that when Bibo had it or Frodo?

3) Why did Bibo have the ring for almost 60 years and no one came after it until he gave it to Frodo? What took so long?

4) Why did Sam all of a sudden call Frodo "Mr. Frodo" when he had been calling him Frodo forever?

5) Is Legolas and Arielle (? Cate Blanchett) in the same "elf" group?

THANKS EVERYONE! rolling on floor laughing

Kitoky
Answer 1) Sauron made the One Ring, but I'm not sure about the others. But I know the person who made the Elven Rings was an elf named Celebrimbor.

Answer 2) The Hobbit is the book to read if you want to know how Bilbo got the ring basically he found the ring laying about just like in the fellowship in a dark cave and he basically stole it from Gollum. Because Gollum and Bilbo played a riddle game which Gollum enjoyed and so yeah...

Answer 3) No one knew that Bilbo had it all these years until the Nazguls/Orcs had to capture and torture Gollum into telling them where the rin was.

Answer 4) Sam's dad, The Gaffer was in service to the Bagginses so Sam has no choice but to give the young Baggins some respect. Sam is his gardner after all. smile

Answer 5) Arielle?? May I ask who that is, and define - 'group'.

Ariadne
Lovely answers Kit.

I think that 'Arielle' is Galadriel.

shadowy_blue
I think she means Galadriel. Legolas is a Silvan Elf who dwells in Mirkwood while Galadriel is a Noldorin Elf in Lothlorien.

Kitoky
yes

Why thank you, I had alot of practice informing them. smile

LOTRLuver
Great answers Kit, thanks! It is much clearer!

Yes, I meant Galadriel - thanks Ariadne and shadowy! I have no idea where I got Ariel (?!) blink

Hmm...so Bilbo and Gollum played a riddle game and that was when he had they had the opportunity to meet....

I noticed that whenever Frodo put the ring on, they seemed to know better where he was...had Bilbo not ever put it on until he wanted to leave his party? I would be curious to know how Gollum was captured - 60 years after it had disappeared!

Aurora
Just a little clarification on the answer of the first question:

The One Ring was made by Sauron alone, and in secret.
The Seven and the 9 were made by Sauron and the Elves together in Eregion. Celebrimor was the cheif smith and Sauron tempted them (long story read the books) Sauron then left. Celembimbor made the Three w/o Saruon's assistance (but using the knowledge that he had gained from him). That is why the Elven rings were able to be kept secret and hidden.

So for a time line:
S.A.1500 The 7 and the 9 are forged.
S.A.1590 The 3 are forged.
S.A. 1600 the One is forged.

Kitoky
Bilbo never really used the ring ever since an event in the Hobbit which I'll leave you to find out on your own. So when Bilbo put the ring on during the party, Sauron could actually feel his Ring and so he sent out the Nine Riders to travel all across Arda in search for Bilbo. smile But this was after they found Gollum.

Actually events in the books is actually quite different but some parts are similar.

Kitoky
Well......I wasn't that far off from the elf who created the rings. Yay! I got his name almost right. That's a thought.

shadowy_blue
When Gollum was being tortured, he screamed, "Shiiirreee!!!Bagggiinssss!!!", he was referring to Bilbo 'coz he's the one he knew that took his Precious.

Aurora
The Hobbit is the foundation on which Tolkien built Middle Earth. It is a great book I suggest taking a look at it.

Kitoky
Dude I was trying to inform her enough so that I don't spoil the whole damn thing and make her think that she doesn't need to read the damn books.

mad

shadowy_blue
Yeah, sorry, but, I think she's still gonna read it, I didn't tell her everything anyway. I'll just gonna edit it in case she hasn't read it yet.

Kitoky
Yes seeing as though that a huge paragraph, I'd think it's best if you use that handy edit button

shadowy_blue
Done, I just deleted the whole thing about the book, just left the torture thing.

Aurora
hehehehehe Am I okay??

shadowy_blue
Yes, you are.

Kitoky
I'm sorry about just making you delete everything you typed, I was just trying not to post any spoilers but still answering her question.

shadowy_blue
LOL..it's OK. No harm. big grin I'm sorry for posting "major spoilers" too.

Kitoky
Here for you

Just for an apology. big grin

shadowy_blue
eek! love big grin

Thanks!!!! smile

ROTFLMAO to the rhymings. LOL.. laughing

Kitoky
"Skip to the left, hop to the right, shoot those Uruks with all your might!"

LOTRLuver
Thanks guys!

I didn't get to read the posts until after that paragraph was deleted - so thanks for deleting it!

I hope PJ makes the Hobbit into a film!

Kitoky
We're praying that PJ will make it also but you have to read it before he makes it wink

LOTRLuver
Oh I will! wink

I actually read it a long time ago - but now I will appreciate it more!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.