The Elfish Language & Elvish names

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

JavX
I have found a very interesting site that contains the languistics of the Elven languages used by J.R.R if you are interested send me a pm. I am currently studying them myself. These are not for people who like to begin things and then quit!

Sifer
I use this one:

http://www.uib.no/People/hnohf/

It is called: Ardalambion. Some very nice stuff on there and some of it very in depth smile

JavX
i think i have been there. really great site too

Smllfry247
i can only say o few things! but i want to try to write it! It is such pretty writing!

Isilwen Took
i'm a.. I have the dictionnary in my computer..
Aya Quendendil!

hrh_jennifer
I can't remember where I got it from, but I downloaded a Quenya course, it has all the linguistics and stuff too as well as vocabulary etc. Anybody know where I can get something similar on Sindarin?

pinksuezo
at rottentomatoes.com, in the rotk forum, theres some club thats takin elvish lessons. dunno if theyre still around, but i think- i think- that the person u shud contact there (search for them and private message them) is a gal named iluvtolkien.

BeladonnaLeBeau
I find Quenya way much difficult than Sindarin smile

Daragon
Does anyone know a site in german, where I could learn it?

Isilwen Took
ow... i've no doubt it exist but where? i don't know.. the most simple it's to go on Google and write : quenya lessons or learn quenya (or sindarin of course) and you will find some very good site like ardalambion where you can learn almost all the languages of Tolkien...

Daragon
happy thx, I'll do that......

Mithrael
There is a book that goes over ALL the Languages of middle earth and teaches how to read and write most of them. It's a bit of a small and Hard book to find but well worth getting it. It's called "The Languages of Tolkien's Middle-Earth." And if you go to Google.com and Type in Download Sindarin Dictionary, you might find a good elvish dictionary.

Isilwen Took
A BOOK!?? WHERE?! WHERE!? i want it!! Where can i find it, precious..

Mormegil
The book sounds cool, and I might get it, because I'm having trouble with my sources. You'd be suprised at the things my Sindarin Dictionary doesn't have. Thus I concur: Where can we find it? I agree also about the http://www.uib.no/People/hnohf/ being a good source for the languages on Middle-Earth. I am currently learning Adunaic, Sindarin, and Black Speech. Sindarin is definitely the hardest, as it was the most advanced. So, if you please, could you post about this book? I can't wait to get it, now.

Fire
well I have an elvish dictionairy, which I use to make elven quotes I know a few by heart

Isilwen Took
me too.. But it's difficult to learn!!

Fire
hmm I have some mates who know it quite well actualy I know one person who can speak it pretty fluid

Role Play what ain't it good for ay? big grin

Isilwen Took
that's cool! I would like to speak Quenya very well.. it will come i suppose... Your friend is very lucky..

Fire
Tim spend a few years learning it, but he puts down the best elf I've ever seen someone role play

Vorthas
why not compile all the words everyone knows.. and extend it when we learn a new one.

P.S. can "Tim" help me learn quenya?

Rogue Jedi
im too busy learning spanish right now.

gimli
Yes I am trying to learn the Elvish language.

Vorthas
im guessing Rogue Jedi is Tim?

Vorthas
umm... am i right?

XxtinuvielxX
i bought a book on the languages of middle earth at borders. i am studing it i dont really kno much though. it tells you how to write elvish aswell.

XxtinuvielxX
im also learning german...confoosing. blink

silver_tears
i like this site http://www.grey-company.org/Circle/language/phrase.htm#greetings

Orli'sElf7
lol well there is a book on Sindarin AND quenyan from amazon.com....but the easiest lessons i ever took was in a workbook at www.councilofelrond.com....just go to languages..workbook, adn they have lessona along with exercises...the language is hard to learn though...the adj go after the nouns etc etc. im almost fluent!!! just need to expand my vocabulary a bit lol

fini
why leanr sindarin for............thats the latin version of elvish...........but anyway........i need to get some proper phonics or something to learn elvish.........

lol and its elvish that has me going back to learn hindi...........its quite familiar...........u have to learn the characters forst then how to translate

Orli'sElf7
yea its hard... : /

Exa
Yeah I do smile More Sindarin than Quenya and other languages, but I learn what I find...

Ardalambion is surely the best site.

Yah big grin
The best German site on Quenya I know is
http://www.lambion-ardava.de - similar to Ardalambion but German.

For Sindarin, there are a lot of quite easy courses but most of them are ****...

You can get a quite (quite) good one here (pdf) http://sindarin.de/sindarin-lehrbuch.zip

An easier (but not so correct one...) is fx here: www.sindarin-kurs.de

OrliNElijahsGrl
im learning elvish as well, its such a beautiful language and i enjoy learning it, this is the one i found http://www.khazad-dum.net/elvish/phrases.php

it gives alot of elvish phrases and words, its very amazing, im trying to find some more!

vedui' (greetings)

Exa

OrliNElijahsGrl
vedui' means greetings

hehehe i love it...its a very very interesting and beautiful language to learn

Exa
Strange big grin big grin
I'm irritated by that " ' " at the end... where does it come from? An earlier "g"? *confused* have never seen an ' at the end of a sindarin word confused

Ok so another new word for me :]

OrliNElijahsGrl
actually, its from http://www.khazad-dum.net/elvish/phrases.php and that is the elvish way of saying greetings, look:
Greetings (everyone)
Vedui' (il'er)

its very interesting....as well as..one of my favorites Elen sila lumenn omentilmo which means A star shall shine on the hour of our meeting

and le abdollen, which means your late

its amazing and i am enjoying learning it

i have some friends of mine who want me to teach it to them

CandyKoRn
I've got more important things to do with my time than to learn a language that is never used...

OrliNElijahsGrl
hmm well thats your opinion, but alot of people are willing to learn elvish, and speak it, its a beautiful and amazing language to learn and speak and im happy that im learning it

Glipt
I can write the elvish characters quite well. Reading them back is harder, but I am getting better. I learned from the appendices at the back of ROTK. I am just using them for english to get fully used to them for now. Looks beautifull. Way nicer than our Roman characters. I saw a font pack available for download for windoze somewhere a few years ago but I forget the site. I thought I had heard that the Silmarillion was available written entirely in Elvish language AND script. Talk about difficult. Anyone else hear this?

Exa
Yeah, I also write with the Tengwar characters... best writing system ever.

The difficult thing are the dozens of different systems and you never know which one it is big grin

I changed the English Style to a version that's pretty good for writing German, and I always write the letters to my fried with it - looks cool smile

I also learned some of the rune systems, but I forgot most of it again.

@OrliNElijahsGrl.... lol must be an other Sindarin than I learn big grin big grin
I thought "Greetings everybody" would be
Suilaid am'magui or
Suilaid na'fain

muse5
isilwen and vorthas, i like ur sigs... one of my friends learned elfish, and she started talking at me one day, this was before i became a huge fanatic, it was kinda funny, i was like yo hablo ingles (i speak english)

xenitegaladriel

Exa
lol good idea a havent trief letters in sindarin or somethign yet... too difficult... only in elvish writing systems (yah thats really cool... I even tried to write with a real bird's feather i had found some days before... works really good)

shadowy_blue
I have the book. smile I'm trying to learn and it is so great.big grin

Exa
What book?

Which books/websites did you use to learn a bit "elvish"?
I liked Ardalambion, sindarin.de, lambion-ardava, some books with wordlists and for etymologies The Lost Road by Tolkien and the Introduction To Elvish by Jim Allen.

The Gobeth is also great.

shadowy_blue
The book called "The Languages of Tolkien's Middle-Earth". It'a very good book and technically it's not just Elvish languages that's in there but also the other languages in Middle-Earth.

The languages that are in there are the 14 Middle-Earth languages that Tolkiens had created (such a genious).

Black Speech
Common Speech (Westron)
Dunlending
Hobbit language
Khuzdul (Dwarvish)
Other languages of Men
Numenorean (Adunaic)
Orkish
Pre-Numenorean
Quenya
Rohan
Sindarin
Sylvan
Wose

woo!!! too much to learn! LOL laughing out loud

shadowy_blue
I'm also visiting some sites to learn fast and those sites that you mentioned are the sites that I've visited already. smile

LOL.. out of topic but I thought I'd share. I'm having a hard time right now to learn the Middle-Earth languages because my time and enthusiasm are shared by Tolkien's Middle Earth and the X-MEN. (Just a good thing that I've became addicted to Middle-Earth first so I already have all the books related to it and had some many decent knowledge just before the X-MEN bursted into my life. laughing out loud )

undomiel
i want 2 kno how to speak elvish bunny

undomiel
im with orlinelijahsgrl they are sooooooooooooo hot love yes

Exa

shadowy_blue

Hypernova
There's LEAF http://elvengroup.battleaxe.net/

Exa

Caranthir Lossė
Where do i go to learn how to wright elvish? I would like to speak it too but it is too time consuming. I just think the writing is the most stunning thing i eva did see some one write, i gotta know how to write like that!

tdktank59
i have given up on looking for it i cant find anything with like the whole alphebet and stuff and what i want to say and stuff so i was wondering if anyone could help

l8r

Exa
Thanks, finally someone realized that there is a big difference between writing and speaking...

A very good site is for example http://hem.passagen.se/mansb/at/tengwar.htm

The easiest mode can be found here http://hem.passagen.se/mansb/at/teng_beleriand.htm
It's the fullwriting of the Sindar of the First Age

Its a bit confusing as there are so many different modes... on the first page is a table for the Englisch or Common Mode, others like the Beleriand-Mode can be found with the link at the bottom of the page.

russ_mathers
my uncle can speak elvish, because his friend knew J.R.Tolkien, and he got the inscription (from the sauron's ring) on his arm (tatooed)

Exa
Cool... you're lucky... I also want to have an uncle whose friend knew Tolkien!!

Verity
I was given lots of links to learn...truth is, I'm lazy and don't find the time! erm

Morfiwen
Learning Elvish would be so cool!

Ariadne
I would love to learn Elvish, but seeing as my dad thinks that Italian and Latin aren't going to be useful enough in the everyday world (he wants me to take Chinese), he would go absolutely insane if I tried to.

Exa
big grin big grin
Well thats what most people who dont know LoTR (because how, otherwise, would they say something like that??) say if you tell them what you do in your free time... "what, you learn a totally invented language? Nonsense!"
But I think it IS useful - just think of, for example, Esperanto big grin also an invented language and so many internet pages are given in English - and Esperanto.

I think Sindarin IS useful, at least more useful than French or Latin as I dont think I'll ever move to France (omg no) or to ancient rome big grin and the foreign words for which it is useful - well I dont have to learn all that grammar for understanding them. big grin big grin
Well thats what most people who dont know LoTR (because how, otherwise, would they say something like that??) say if you tell them what you do in your free time... "what, you learn a totally invented language? Nonsense!"
But I think it IS useful - just think of, for example, Esperanto big grin also an invented language and so many internet pages are given in English - and Esperanto.

I think Sindarin IS useful, at least more useful than French or Latin as I dont think I'll ever move to France (omg no) or to ancient rome big grin and the foreign words for which it is useful - well I dont have to learn all that grammar for understanding them.

Exa

Verity
Me, but I'm too lazy! I'll have to make time! embarrasment

Bloom4ever
i tried some of those sites and they turned out to be really good. ive started TRYING to learn Sindarin and some of the Elvish phrases.

~ Aa' menealle nauva calen ar' malta ~

Exa
What's "Aa"? I dunno that word

KenjI
i have seen different "versions" of quenya and i wonder where can i find the right one?

PLz answer back i need to study!!

Exa
What "versions" do you mean? Of course the language changes during the years and also has different subgroups... but which versions?!? can you post some examples?

IcepicK
Hi u all, does anybody knows at least a little of Quenya, like how is the pronunciation and the structure of the words, because I want to learn to a little, like a few words(not the entire language); so I want that somebody tell me want ca I do, how is the easiest way to learn, links where I can find some info.. etc..

shadow link
wat i want to know as well is what language is used in the movies coz i started to learn qenya then i wondered if its sindarin in the movies, like when people say they want to learn elvish or they can speak it wat kind do they mean

Exa

Kitoky
Exa said it all so I have no need to explain

fini
* fini wonders what is the sence in posting after exa*

Kitoky
To act stupid fini, that's all there is to it.

fini
thought as much

IcepicK
cool exa...and if I want to learn Sindarin wich resource should I use?

Kitoky
http://www.ardalambion.com/

That's the best site to learn all the tongues of Arda.

kalantiaw
i wanna learn the black language!!!

shadow link
any one know where to get resources to learn and especially get the fonts (be able to write it) the other languages that exa mentioned

Exa

Melani
Hey ppl out there do you understand the elfish language?? i dont im not the best at speakin it but i can shure write it ( the actuall writing like on the ring)

*~*~ Write your thoughts ~*~* Happy Dance rolling on floor laughing

Pipage558
i can say the dark language that is on the ring...... that is the only thing i can speak in elvish!

Melani
awsome, i can write my name in elfish hehe it looks awsome big grin

taotia
hey melanie..

i downloaded from the net some elvish fonts,a nd managed to get my name customeised to elvish fonts (can u see if this is right?)

shall i PM u??

killallhumans
does anyone know where i can find a website that i can learn elvish if so reply or pm me Happy Dance

nazgulinthedark
we really need a thread like "ask exa" or something...because you should ask exa, she probably knows

Melani
well i dont know any sit but i know elfish like i can read and write anything just not very good at speakin it so if u wanna know anything ask me

taotia
gEe..i'M nOt sUrE, iF tHiS hElps...i'll PM u. coz 'm sTill nOt AllOwEd to inCluDe UrlS in mY pOsTs...

Melani
ok ya shure plz do!lol

Smodden
http://www.angelfire.com/tn/josealfredo/

http://www.angelfire.com/tn/josealfredo/

http://www.lotrplaza.com/forum/display_forum_topics.asp?ForumID=30

there are several versions of elvish try these links up there.

taotia
oh BoY oh bOy...

tHen cAn YoU tRansLatE mY naMe inTo ElvIsH plEase???

"mIcHeLLe" is mY naMe...

i nEed the ExaCt elvish transLation, aS in ThE fOnt...i doWnloAded a pRogRam fOr it, bUt nOt rEalLy sUre If iT is aCcuRaTe...

pLeAse heLp...meL...

Smodden
ur elvish name is tari with a accent mark on the A

Melani
I can write and read the writing like the real writng

taotia
tHanKs sMoDdEn!!!

taotia
sO, iTs pRoNounCed as in tHe wOrd - "taRi"??

lIke in nOrmal eNglisH lanGuaGE?

I'm nOt gOod at aLL in elViSh..

frog_rindle
here we go...oh drat it's WAY over the 250000 bytes, and you can't read it any smaller than it already is.

'Not allowed to include links yet confused

Rings3791
its spelled elVish

taotia
hmmm...

SeXyChIcK989
hey taotia! i live in singapore too! ehehe...umm can u tell me where u downloaded the elvish language thingy!? please i really wanna learn it and make my name in it! it sounds cool and fuN! thanks! and Melani how did u learn how to speak elvish!? i really wanna learn! thanks!

SeXyChIcK989
hey can someone tell me how to say my name in elvish? my name is Nikita? and my friends wanna know how to say there names, shina, and tanya...thanks! and if u do know how to say my name how do u know? can u teach me? please...or give me a website! tanks....hey Melani you said,
"I can write and read the writing like the real writng" then please answer the above...and also u Smodden...can one of u help me learn elvish please!??? thanks!

ahaetrkarykl
wow how long did it take you guys to learn elvish? learning a whole language is a big deal

Exa

Exa

Melani
ic Taoia the doc. u sent me was not elfish sad but i wrote you name down and i`ll scan it to you allrighty?

Melani
ya im not the best at reading it off text like that i can only read and write the real writing... by the way what would my name be ?? my name is Melani tho im not good at finding my name in elfish plzzz

Exa
Melani? The name comes from Greek and means "dark(haired)" or something like that, right? So Sindarin would be Morwen, Quenya Morque, Mornie or something similar.

Elondra
I ordered this book 8 months ago that has the languages in it.I still haven't got it yet.They said that it hasn't been printed yet.

Exa
Which book do you mean...?

Elondra
Languages of middle earth by tolkien

Kitoky
Black Speech !?!?! where!??!

Exa
What black speech? We were talking about the ring inscription... the only other black speech given by tolkien is some orcish curse

Exa
Who wrote that book? I've never heard of it before

Elondra
Ruth S. Noel

Exa
Hey cool, thank you smile I think I'll also look for that book

Melani
Ok i know what to do now Thanx a Bunch!!! so now i have my naem translated and i can write it YIPPY Happy Dance

Melani
Ok then i dont know of any black speech??
ok ppl im willin to teach some of you to write the elfish if you want pm me for more info bunny

Kitoky
Awwwwwwww sad No black speech.

Kitoky
I agree with Naz, I think there should be a Ask Exa thread.

Melani
I fianlly figured it out my name in elfish its Morruv which means Melani which means Dark Skinned. Awsome eh?( yes i say "eh" im canadianstick out tongue) any one want me to find there name out??? i will do it for you just tell me on this thread rolling on floor laughing Happy Dance

Discos
erm, yeah go for "Discos", not sure it would come up as I doubt they had a DJ system back then smile

anyhoo please try it.

Ariadne
Sorry, it's my nature to find mistakes; I gotta say it too - ELVISH.

Melani
ok is dicose your real name or is it allready in elfish???

azszhz
can you turn my crappy name into something i can love?
my names ashley
now it shall be remade in Elvish Happy Dance
please

Kitoky

Aurora
My name in Elvish is Volinde but for the life of me I don't know what it means!!

Melani
ok Ashley your name means "from the ash-tree" or "ash-tree meadows" and i have come up with Lithaldalaer or Uinlithalda one or the other they mean the same thing

Melani
ha ha or i have foud out others for myself, theres Morruv, Durvana and Morvana Which one to you think is better?????

Kitoky
Volinde was a name of a made up character that an author use for a um...Rated NC-17 fanfic for Leggy........Holy crap.......

Kitoky
Yeah when referring to Tolkien's elves, it's best to use a v instead of an f.

Melani
okidoki

Melani
lolol Hey ppl which do you think is a better name for me Morruv, Durvana, or Morvana???

Aurora
NOOOOOOOOO What ever you do don't tell LegolasIsMyMan she will KILL me!! laughing laughing

Kitoky
Morruv sounds cool and more foreign, the others with an 'ana' at the end seems to modern.

Melani
ok great! thanks Kitoky smile

Gollum_Gal
hey can u look up jade. thaks a million!(Kiss Kiss)(hug hug)(lol)

CANADA ROX!smile

KingOfGondor292
Can you look up Stephanie? Thanks! smile

Aesma

Elvinarrow
how about Tiffany?

Elvinarrow
how about Tiffany? it's for my friend

Member.
Erestor Ar-Feiniel = me

azszhz
How about Fold or NoName, there my game names, or are they just to weird?

pinksuezo
i say eh but im not canadian eh? big grin

Member.
lol

Aesma

SeXyChIcK989
what is writen on the ring? i wanna knwo!

Exa

Exa

SeXyChIcK989

SeXyChIcK989
wow what does that mean? hey exa where do u live? how old are u?

Exa
"One Ring to rule them all, one Ring to find them
One Ring to bring them all and in the Darkness bind them"
Not elvish but the Black Speech from Mordor, invented by Sauron

Me? I'm from some sweet little country in Europe called Austria (NOT australia!!!) nobody seems to know... and how old? hmmm 15...

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>