Lost Prophets

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Last Train home is such a great song

great band...i should really buy this new album and the first one too

tabby999
i'm going to see them in a few weeks

Bad Boy
My band record in the same studio as lostprophets!

loserib
i seen em on ozzfest a year or two back they were all right

total metalhead
i was about to make a thread about them but i found this one. good band they got a lot of potential. Fake Sound Of Progress was a v.good cd yes

lil bitchiness
I just want to strangle Ian Watkins no expression

Lostprophets sold out! And Ian is such an arognat bastard mad

ElectricBugaloo
I like 'em, they are one of my favorite bands. From when they played here, my brother got a drumstick and had it autographed by most of hte band.

lil bitchiness
I spoke to Ian before they were so famous, and he was such a dick it was un-beliavable. Which put me off them for life!

ElectricBugaloo
well when I spoke to him he was nice and we hung out for most of the night.

If you only like bands who have nice lead singers, get ready to have a short list of bands.

lil bitchiness
Ian was nice to us, duuh, but he was a dick to his roady and to the guy who was carrying their stuf from the club, that says a lot about a person.

Of course he'll be nice to us, we're his ''fans''

Hes an arogant b!tch!

ragesRemorse
I was impressed with there latest

SlipknoT
That song last train home is pretty good

TrAnCeDuO
"wake up" is a pretty decent song...but by far i like this band...they aernt bad at all...

ragesRemorse
bo not at all, i just hope they dont go coorperate or mainstream

ElectricBugaloo
i think that "wake up" is one of their weaker songs. repetitive, never really hits a climax like "Burn Burn" or "Last Train Home" did. Their first album was a little more raw, and they say they look at it as their demo, but it is a damned good demo that happened to get 'em MTV2 airplay.

ragesRemorse
i hope they neverplay on mtv because then they will deffaintly suck, anything that goes through mtv sells its soul to it. I mean we still kill the old way kicks ass. I hope they dont use mtv like so many rise to fame and change bands do, it pisses me of so damn much. Death of the record companies is the death of music, any one can produce crap now. HOpefull lost prophets wil steer clear from this trend

Df02
haha, you hope they dont use mtv? well sorry but have to disappoint u here, they released 4 video's off their first album, and 4 off the new album......

i have met em before they were famous aswell, they just had the attitude of a band that had already made it, before they had made it... they didnt seem like bad people.
they are walking the line of selling out tho lol, they got such a slating from fans for releasing 4 singles off first album, that alot of people went off them for ages... and now theyve just gone and repeated themselves.

tabby999
pffft, who cares if they "sell out," that term is so full of shit anyway, as long as they make music you like it dosn't matter. oh and they kicked arse live

Df02
its just a shame to see them go that way..... i wouldnt be too bothered if they did, but itd be a shame....because they wouldnt be making msic for the music, theyd be making it for the money

Bad Boy
It annoys me so much people say band have sold out when they know nothing of the band. Have some respect cos it takes a hell of alot of hardwork to get that far in the industry. And then people turn round and say they've sold out if they get to number 1.

If my band tours little clubs and then get signed to a small label and tour clubs for like 3 years, and then picked up by a major label who give my music a huge exposure to the public- who buy it and get it to number 1 (the same way any other band usually does), does that mean I've sold out??????

Df02

Alpha Centauri
I think they have the odd tuneful track but it's clear that ever since they knew they could get bigger in the states by being a certain way, they have done everything to bring that on.

Selling out does bother me because it can never be good music if you know it was put out through compromisation and isn't a true reflection or artistic depiction.

-AC

Bad Boy
OK, you gotta point there!

tabby999
maybe they just made an intelligent move to get their music heard. Outkast had been around for ages, had a few albums but knew they had to make something like Speaker Boxxx to get their music into the mainstream, and it worked, maybe lostprophets are doing that too.

and they might think that there are lots of good songs on the album, hence, many singles

lil bitchiness
I still dont like them no expression Especially Ian.

Lee was nice and stuff, Mike was a dick.

I dont know, I dont think I'll ever like them like i have before.

Alpha Centauri
"maybe they just made an intelligent move to get their music heard. "

Some of the world's greatest bands don't even advertise because they know that THEIR fans are not ones to be spoon-fed. They go and find music.

-AC

tabby999
your point? Lost Prophets are good, but they arn't one of the worlds best. and do you think that those bands you speak of didn't promote? course they did, they have to or they'd be nothin. and just because bands get promoted and are out there dosn't mean their fans are spoon fed. indeed some are, and will only find out about bands because they see them on Video Hits or MTV (depending on where you live), but comeone, way to lump all their fans into one basket.

Alpha Centauri
"your point? Lost Prophets are good, but they arn't one of the worlds best. and do you think that those bands you speak of didn't promote? course they did, they have to or they'd be nothin. and just because bands get promoted and are out there dosn't mean their fans are spoon fed."

Tool aren't "out there" promoting. They don't even promote their albums or advertise them. Radiohead don't advertise on TV, maybe they've had the one or two roadside billboards for their most recent album but they don't do it any other time. Talent is often predictable by the amount the band advertise. Obviously really big, awesome bands with major reps promote stuff coz they have fans from every walk of life and people wanna know when they're touring etc. Tool and such know their fans will come out and look for info or look for CDs because their have elite groups of fans.

If you are happy with ramming your music down people's throats it's pretty obvious you wanna sell your music as opposed to have more people listening to it for the fulfillment of themselves.

Lost Prophets, on the release of their first single, were nobodies. Literally just another band to us in the UK, well decent Rock fans anyhow. They knew they'd never get a major break so they went to America and changed their style completely.

-AC

lil bitchiness
Tool! pray

Lostprophets dont deserve to be mentioned in the same thread as Tool.

I totally agree with that. Tool dont promote, but Tool have more devoted fans than Lostprophets can ever dream of, and thats because Tool dont need to promote, since they are absolutely amazing musicians.

Lostprophets can only make it if they promote their shit songs and shit attitude because otherwise they'll never get recognised!

Darth Revan
Ah you're being too hard on 'em lil.... I can understand not liking them but still...

Personally I like them. I wouldn't consider myself a fan, but "burn burn" is a kickass song. Their lyrics are a bit repetitive...

The term "selling out" is really overused these days.

"In between sips of coke
He told me that he thought we were
Selling out, laying down, sucking up to the man

Well now I've got some advice for you little buddy
Before you point your finger you should know that I'm the man
I'm the man and you're the man and he's the man as well
So you can point that f*cking finger up your ass

All you know about me's what I sold you,
Dumb ****.
I sold out long before you ever heard my name.

I sold my soul to make a record,
Dipshit,
And you bought one."

I know that doesn't apply to everybody, but he has a point.

lil bitchiness
You know, i never really released how much I hated bands with shitty attitude till i came across the Lostprophets blink

Shadow_King
their an ok band.

ElectricBugaloo
ok, congratulations on saying hte same thing over and over.

and as for Tool not doing any advertising, that's a joke. THey did plenty of advertising leading up to Lateralus' release in magazines and such, and had commercials on the radio, etc. They even did interviews with Spin and Rolling Stone! If that isn't associated with "selling out", then I don't know what is.

Though it is a good point that Tool have admitted to selling out.

As for Lostprophets changing their music between albums, it's actually very typical for a band to change their sound between their first and second efforts; thier first effort they have had their whole lives to write and so the songs are (generally) better. Rage Against The Machine's second effort was much different than their first, same with Weezer, and a million other bands.

Shadow_King
ok lil tell me agian why you hate LP. just wondering.

ElectricBugaloo
just look back through the thread, shadow king

Bad Boy
Does anyone know what selling out means??????????????????

It's pretty much when record companies tell you to play songs/do things the band don't really like doing, but still go ahead and take the money!

Darth Revan
TBH I don't really know what it means anymore. It used to mean when somebody was only doing it for the money... But there are so many bands people claim have "sold out", and they can't ALL be doing it only for the money, surely at least a few of them still enjoy playing music roll eyes (sarcastic)

Df02
it all burns down the fact that out of 2albums, pretty much a third of the songs have been released as singles... theres only 1 excuse for that, wanting more money...why else would you release a single? or 2? or 3? or 4?!

and moving out to the US where u can get a bigger audience, and then start parading around acting like you've lived there your whole lives, etc...

Darth Revan
Yeah, I know, but my point still stands that "sell out" is an overused term.

Df02
yea it is....but still, LP are quite close to being 1 of the few bands who deserve the term

Alpha Centauri
"and as for Tool not doing any advertising, that's a joke. THey did plenty of advertising leading up to Lateralus' release in magazines and such, and had commercials on the radio, etc. They even did interviews with Spin and Rolling Stone! If that isn't associated with "selling out", then I don't know what is."

They did an interview in Metal Hammer and Rolling Stone because despite being big magazines they are read by musical critics and people with intelligent views on music for the most part. I personally never heard THEM doing any commercials on the radio. If people who like them advertise them, that's down to the people. Tool never purposely go out and promote albums.

And Darth, you do realise Hooker With A Penis is actually a comedic take on sellouts, it's written from the point of view of a sellout to show you how stupid selling out is. Maynard hates selling out and people who sell out, it's proven in Aenima the song.

-AC

lil bitchiness
I can tell how much I hate Lostprophets as much as i please, alright? If you're bothered, dont read it, simple as.

Tool sold out? Thats the most rediculous thing i have ever heard.

''Oooh they did an interview for the Rolling Stone, that MUST mean they sold out''

Please, you dont have a clue what you're talking about. They did an interview, big goddamned deal! Lost prophets did interview to pretty much every single crappy magazine that wanted their stupid mugs on their pages, they didnt choose!

And the songs....the songs suck beyond belief! I dont see where you got the idea to compare the talented musicians like Lostprophets to Tool:

Last Train home, by LP:

''But we sing
If we're going nowhere
Yeah we sing
If it's not enough
And we sing
Sing without a reason
To ever fall in love''

Wow, what a well thought through lyrics! Pathetic, its very very sad!

And eversince they toured with Head Automatica, they started to ware suits! Copying much?

Ians vocals are pathetic, their songs are bad and the lyrics are even worse, and on top of that they have shitty attitude! Which is very very annoying! I cant even believe you mentioned Tool selling out...please!

Lostprophets cannot compare to Tool, and never will be able to, they dont have the ability or the talent to be even considered a competition of any kind!

Shadow_King
wow you really hate LP

ElectricBugaloo
Rolling Stone isn't exactly a bastion of musical knowledge anymore, and they had a cover story on Spin--the same magazine that has had covers of limpbizkit, The hives, etc.

furryman
my mate's phone, which was indestructible up until then, died in the LP pit at Glastonbury!

Shadow_King
your friends phone died at an lp concert

furryman
yeah, thanks for reiterating that confused
and it wasn't a LP concert as such, a festival, and they played

Alpha Centauri
"the same magazine that has had covers of limpbizkit, The hives, etc."

Limp Bizkit suck but I like The Hives. Really big magazines have the gift and curse of having to interview excellent and shit acts.

Kerrang is the world's biggest selling weekly magazine. It has great parts and shit parts. Great parts for those who bother to read, shit for those who buy it for the front cover. Also, given that Tool rarely give interviews, that's probably why they were on the front cover.

-AC

Bad Boy
Your taking this too seriously now! It's an anthem style chorus which is supposed to get everyone singing when played live.

Do you want it to say...

"And we say
No more world hunger
And we say
Get the troops out of Iraq
And we say
The Media is poison
And I stay in my bedroom depressed because I'm an elitist indie fan with the Pope on my wall.

It's not supposed to be clever lyrics.... JUST ENTERTAINMENT!!!

And it's usually record companies who release the singles and get the music video directors. If the bands do don't that.. they get dropped simple as that and end up in debt and no more having fun making music!

I got signed a few years back and dropped not before long, so trust me, it pretty much works like that!

Df02
i like LP's music, but the attitude is gettin annoying.... i like Last train home, got the new album in my car atm, and the old album is great.

but they piss me off sometimes

lil bitchiness
Oh my god. I could have pulled better lyrics out of my ass! Its PATHETIC!!

Well, wow, thanks for letting me know its entertainment!

There are so many bands and artists out there that do not sing about a goddamned Iraq and war, yet their lyrics are awesome and well thought through.

Those lyrics look like a 12 year old rock star wannabe wrote them. Pathetic!

ElectricBugaloo
AC, don't try to defend Spin magazine, we all know that it is a magazine that is made for fans who are corporate media whores; they throw in some indie acts to seem cutting edge, but by the time they get around to actually 'introducing' these acts, they've had an underground buzz for years.

Rolling Stone is much the same now.

el_barto
lol, That sounds like me when I was 11/12 big grin

Fearnix
i dont like them but i like one of there songs last summer i think it was.

tabby999
say what you want, i heard a shit load of radio press for Radiohead (yeah, they mentioned them too, not just tool) for when they toured and when their new album came out, and its good to see how "the worlds greatest bands" refers only to tool and radiohead. people forget that The Clash were signed to a major record company, so what, did they sell out? who gives a shit whether they've "sold out"

Alpha Centauri
"who gives a shit whether they've "sold out""

I do and if you DON'T MIND your favourite artists being sell outs, there's likely something wrong.

Radiohead's latest album was one of the biggest releases of the year. Their 6th album.

They got there through NO promotion.

-AC

Bad Boy
Yeah, thats the point! There not supposed to be fantastic. Just an anthem for people to sing along to!

lil bitchiness
Well why dont we all go make songs, if you dont have to be talented or fantastic, just have shitty attitude and willing to sell out to make it.

tabby999
did you not read what i just wrote? i just blatantly pointed out that Radiohead HAD PROMOTION on australias #1 alternative radio station for not only their album, but their tour as well. and not once did i say that lost prophets were one of my favourite artists, i said i liked them, but there not in my top 5. also, after releasing 5 prior albums, a band like radiohead would have had people writing about them for months saying their recording again, which is promotion and simply by being a band of radioheads stature, would have sold a shit load anyway. if you think that radiohead never advertised, never promoted themselves, then your f*cking insane

Alpha Centauri
"i just blatantly pointed out that Radiohead HAD PROMOTION on australias #1 alternative radio station for not only their album, but their tour as well."

Who did the promoting? Radio shows always promote stuff that they think will get them more listeners. Radiohead can't stop every live DJ mentioning them.

"if you think that radiohead never advertised, never promoted themselves, then your f*cking insane"

No I'm not. Chill out. I never saw any Radiohead albums advertised on TV or in the paper. If random men decide to promote them they can't stop it.

-AC

tabby999
what about magazines like Rolling Stone and the like, before their album came out, there were a heap of interveiws with Thom York talking up the album, not to mention the "Radiohead" magazine that came out before the cd and tour

silverstar
Me = Big Lost Prophets fan! eek!

Alpha Centauri
"what about magazines like Rolling Stone and the like, before their album came out, there were a heap of interveiws with Thom York talking up the album"

What about them? If you cannot find a quote from a member of Radiohead saying "Go buy our album" or any other such blatant self-promotion, not interviews, then you can have a claim that holds water. To claim Radiohead are sell outs is insanity. In one webcast someone said "Nobody wants to hear a rich musician whining" and he said "Don't buy our records, don't come to our shows." Actually telling a member of the public to have nothing to do with the band. Metallica probably had an elite group of fans. By Master Of Puppets they had a wealth and were well on their way to being a world conquering Metal band. In this case, OK Computer is the Master Of Puppets. Over the years people become aware that Radiohead are a band well known for having a very intelligent fan base. So they may try to get into it.

Selling out is doing stuff you don't want to do for cash and compromising your style to suit the mainstream and general public. Radiohead have never and will never do such a thing. It was their 6th album and it had a lot of anticipatory (if you will) hype around it. Tool's new album will probably get alot more coverage than the previous because it's highly anticipated. You need to re-evaluate your term of selling out.

-AC

Bad Boy
All artists gotta advertise... other wise no money, and no funds to keep playing music.

Remember if your on a major label, tons of money is spent on touring and recording. Records companies have gotta earn that money back, if they don't, they'll drop the band!

ElectricBugaloo
the only big band in the last decade that hasn't "sold out" by having ANY ads or even being on a major label is Fugazi. Other than that, all the other bands have had ads in Rolling Stone, etc.

tabby999
did i once say that Radiohead sold out? no i didn't. i used radiohead as an example because you were using refering alot. and i dont read articles with Lost Prophets saying "buy our albums." basically, Lost Prophets havn't gone out and done something that they didn't agree with/didn't want to do to make money, they just released singles off their album. their new album is simply the next stage up from the style that had on the first, so by YOUR definition, they havn't sold out.

Alpha Centauri
"All artists gotta advertise... other wise no money, and no funds to keep playing music.

Remember if your on a major label, tons of money is spent on touring and recording. Records companies have gotta earn that money back, if they don't, they'll drop the band!"

Don't assume there isn't any bands with integrity just because you don't know of them. I know enough of music to know that it's possibly to be successful and even rich without selling out.

"Lost Prophets havn't gone out and done something that they didn't agree with/didn't want to do to make money, they just released singles off their album. their new album is simply the next stage up from the style that had on the first, so by YOUR definition, they havn't sold out."

I believe they've gone from being a very British band to a much more American sound. If they stayed making music like Shinobi Vs Dragoninja they wouldn't be where they are now and I'd be willing to bet they know it too. So if they changed their sound to get more fans and be more accessible just so they can be amongst the masses, yes it's selling out. Coz if they wanted to do that they would have done it from the start.

-AC

tabby999
the nu metal sound still is popular, linkin park, limp bizkit and others proved this, Lost Prophets also had a sound that is a lot like that

lil bitchiness
You're right.

Anyway, lostprophets are gold diggers!!

They released their first album....TWICE!! After they became known, they released Fake sound of progress again, remixing some of the songs...roll eyes (sarcastic) please!

Now they think they are all american band...sados, the lot of them.

tabby999
they didn't just remix it, they remastered it, because the origonal was recorded very cheaply and they now had the chance to get it recorded in a proper studio. who wouldn't want to get their own material cleaned up and recorded properly? i dont think thats tantamount to "selling out" now is it

ElectricBugaloo
their first album's first recording was basically just a demo, so of course they would remaster it and rerelease it.

lil bitchiness
They should have made it properly the first time arround eek! I dont see Glassjaw re-releasing Siberian Kiss, do you? eek!

Please, Ian clearly says on the album ''thanks'' section:

''All the people who bought this record first time arround ''

When you release demos, you state they are demos...what they released was a ''record'' as Ian said!

Please...they are shitty attitude sell outs!

ElectricBugaloo
ok, their record company didn't give them enough money to make a good version of TFSOP. So when they DID get the money, they made sure that it was remastered.

What you are saying is that they should have kept the inferior product instead of giving their fans something of better quality?

Alpha Centauri
If they knew they were gonna get a bigger deal they should have released the first album as a demo.

-AC

ElectricBugaloo
obviouisly they didn't know they were going to get a bigger deal, AC. It was probably after they sold enough of their demo that their record company realized that "hey, people like this band" so gave them the money to get it remastered and such.

tabby999
see, someone else gets it and isn't gonna brandish the "sell out" stick needlessly

eezy45
Not a bad band, love the song "New Noise"

Bad Boy
All bands have the right to change their style. In a band myself, it's very easy to get bored playing/writing the same style. Besides Lostprophets wrote the songs from Fake Sound of Progress when they were 17-19. Its amazing how much your musical style can change. It doesn't mean your changing your style to make more money.

And it's not a bands choice if their record company decides to re-release an album!

ElectricBugaloo
look at the difference between "bleach" and "Nevermind" for Nirvana. or between "Acrobatic Tenement" and "Relationship of Command" for At the Drive In. Or even your favorite Radiohead! They all change styles between records.

tabby999
stick that in your pipe and smoke it!

Alpha Centauri
"or between "Acrobatic Tenement" and "Relationship of Command" for At the Drive In. Or even your favorite Radiohead! They all change styles between records"

The difference being that Lost Prophets owe their sucess globally to their change of style. I know US fans of Radiohead who have loved them since way before they went stateside. They change their style because they have the talent to and know that they don't HAVE to stick to a certain style to please fans. Lost Prophets are quite clearly trying to break the States and they weren't gonna do it with FSOP or the style used therein, I don't believe.

But to each their own.

"stick that in your pipe and smoke it!"

No thank you, I don't smoke.

-AC

tabby999
thats good, smokings bad for your health and it'll give you cancer, but i'm not positive on the health effects of smoking a web forum...

lil bitchiness
Lostprophets should dissapear into nothingness...alongside Avril Lavigne yes they are as good as each other.

tabby999
now THATS a big call!

lil bitchiness
Ok, maybe that was bit harsh...even for Lostprophets. *shudder*

Df02
thing is i think their music is ok, but its soo obvious theyve compromised their music for the US audience

ElectricBugaloo
well i still like 'em,but i liked FSOP better. we're just getting into the repetitive saying the same things over and over.

then agian, Radiohead probably changed for the better after the first album...

Df02
yea this threads said all it needs to....like em or not its ur choice, but its a fact that theyve changed since they hit the US

Bad Boy
This is getting boring now!

BlackC@t
I LOVE their song 'Lucky You.' happy

ElectricBugaloo
I LIKE THEM NO MATTER WHAT YOU ALL SAY.

ragesRemorse
When i first heard lost prophets i thought they were just another manufactured band from the same assembly line as all those bands on the radio. After actually bothering to pick their album up, i realized they were actually a genuine band. Nice work on diversity through out the album, nice lyrics, nice rythm, and nice rifts. Though in several of their songs it does appear that they may become just another band that abuses the repetitive three chord chorus approach.

In all, i expected another "jet" type band. Instead of copying classic rock, exploiting early alternative rock. However, i was pleasantly surprised. I think if this band can steer clear of giving into fame and stardom they could be somthing worth looking forward to in the future. just please stay away from the trendy three cord chorus garbage.

Darth Revan
I do like the Lostprophets, but I feel like repeating something here that I said in another thread. They did a live performance that was televised by MTV and they were absolutely godawful. The singer was totally out of tune, and in the one song I felt like watching them play they couldn't keep a steady tempo worth shit. I swear that a couple of the fans looked almost confused trying to sing along.

ElectricBugaloo
when i saw them live, they were very clean despite the tiny stage.

ragesRemorse
That is the problem with many bands of today. twenty years ago, bands made their name and fame from touring. That is all they did this is how they made a name for themselves.. Today bands still make the meat of their money from touring, but that is not how they get their fame anymore. Fame can be bought through entertainment mediums. Thier music can be heard for free over the internet. There is no longer a such thing as word of mouth in the music world. It is all fed to you everywhere you go. whenever you hear bands on t.v or on the internet, you are not hearing them actually playing. there music is being cleaned through mixers and rythm cleansers. sure they may practice their music in the raw, but it is manipulated before production.

ElectricBugaloo
twenty years ago, bands made their name and fame from touring.

Closer to thirty now, unless you are talking about Indie bands - which I assume you aren't since the rest goes on to only talk about mainstream.

Thier music can be heard for free over the internet. There is no longer a such thing as word of mouth in the music world

The internet IS the word of mouth now. While this forum isn't a great example, there are plenty of places to hear about new music that you ordinarily wouldn't hear of otherwise. That is how bands like The Postal Service, The Shins, Iron & Wine and even Elliott Smith have got popular.

The Postal Service's CD Give Up has almost gone gold completely on word of mouth - even without touring (much like XTC in that regard). Elliott Smith gained his fame through word of mouth, and while he went to a major label, he still didn't get the major push from the company.

there music is being cleaned through mixers and rythm cleansers. sure they may practice their music in the raw, but it is manipulated before production.
Like I said, they were very clean when I saw them. Maybe they didn't have time to set up and sound check properly, maybe they had an off night, or maybe the night I saw them everything came together perfectly.

Korri
i dunno why but i have never really been able to get into their stuff. erm

tabby999
i saw them last year the Big Day Out and their set was basically flawless. i'm sure they have their bad days but they were right on the money with their preformance when i saw them

lil bitchiness
So can someone explain to me the deal with Lostprophets new video, and the dressing sense of it all?

Whats with the...clothes?

And why does Lee look like he just stepped off Franz Ferdinand audition trials?

If I didn't like them before, I REALLY don't like them now.

What dee fuke is going on?

Alpha Centauri
That's what happens when your best friend is Gerard Way of My Chemical Romance.

-AC

Imaginary
I never really got into the Lost Prophets either... dunno why.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.