What's up with Kung Fu movies?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Traydemark03
Nowadays, kung fu movies are really not creative. I swear, they're over using special effects...except for Hero, that was good.

Kes
I'd like to see Hero. Almost did while it was at the cinema, but my friend didnt want to sad Got to rent that 1.

yerssot
I have it wink

SilverFighter
You hit the bullseye, for example I'm disappointed with Jet Li in that movie "The one". If the Shaw brothers keep it old cinema kung fu flicks will always be safe. But with all the new PC effects Martial arts directors might get too tempted to use them.

Traydemark03
Yep. Old style is the best way to attract the foreign audience. Crouching tiger did really well and Hero was nominated for best foreign film...lost though...

They should hire Yuen Woo Ping more often...

Dagons Blade
Has anyone here ever heard of the Shaw Brothers? The masters of old school martial mayhem that defined their films with spectacular choreography, and the ost outrageous costumes since the Batman TV series..and I mean that respectfully smile

In the mid 70's to the early 80's, their company broke new ground with a series of films, the most popular of them being "The Five Deadly Venoms." As well, all 5 of them men who played 'The Venoms" went on to star in over 20 films together, and while there were other great Shaw stable actors like Ti Lung, Alexander Fu Sheng, and David Chiang, "The Venoms" were a truly talented and gifted set of individuals who helped define the golden age of the martial art film.

Even Bruce Lee did some test footage for the Shaws, who sadly turned him down, only to regret that decision later, much as Hollywood did when they turned Bruce down for the Kung-Fu series, instead giving therole to David Carradine, one of the biggest asses I have ever met in person at a convention...anyway, anyone interested in "The Venoms" and what they started should like this link:

http://www.shawstudios.com/venoms.html

BakaXero
Is hero the 1 with jet li
it really wasnt dat god
n does ne1 see somfing weird
hong kong movies r using more special effects
n america is using more hk style fight scenes
theyve swapped
Nooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thorC
@ dragon blade i've seen some of them when i was working for movie company. i think this kind of movies have only one plot, which is only skinny guy fights against a ton of bad guys especially drug dealers. it's kind of uniform. Jacky Chang also. i 've seen many Hong Kong mafia movie and Kung Fu too. as i said it's uniform movie. and it's easy to go.
like American cars chasing where are they now.

Traydemark03
Well it's better than a cowboy fighting against a ton of bad guys... I mean seriously... When 10 guys with oozis can't shoot 1 guy, it's ridiculous... I'd gladly watch a fight scene instead...

MISSME
Yes, I also would like a good "kung-fu" movie with lots of action.

Crouching Tiger & Hidden Dragon was excellent! Maybe the same actors can be used to produce another love story with lots of action.

Also, I will never forget the action stunt scenes where the actor and actress are using swords high up in the bamboo trees. That is a remarkable scene ...truely unforgetable.

How about a movie that applies to "news events" that are happening today or yesterday. Example, sending Jet-Lee into to Iraq to kick some butt. Or maybe in to Bosina to really kick some butt.

The action directors have lots of experience and all they need is encouragement from their fans.

Directors....keep up the good work on the next movie.

MISSME
I liked "The Quest" movie with Von Damm!

thorC
mmm actually i think C tiger H dragon is not a mainstream Kung Fu movie. you guys have to see Bruce Lee's movies or Shaw Brothers movie . that's real!. the Quest no i don't think so. it's just kicking movie movie that's all. wink wink

Traydemark03
Yeah after bloodsport and kickboxer... Van Damme gets old...Crouching Tiger was mainstream but it didn't do as well there as it did here. The HK audience is/has been exposed to so many kung fu movies that it gets boring to them. Maybe that's why they're branching off to cg instead of old style choreography... I get tired of Shaw Bros. too.

MISSME
Who do you recommend for the lead role?

MISSME
What about a Jackie Chan, Von Damm, and Jet Lee in the same movie?

There would be some serious Kung Fu and also a little humor!

Dagons Blade
More than anything else, the Shaw Brothers films had great choreography and none of that wire crap...they fought, and fought with an elegance and style not seen in today's action films, and the characcters were likable.

The Venoms were:
Kuo Chui (the most popular)
Sun Shien
Chiang Sheng (now deceased)
Lo Mang (the body on this guy was increbible...)
Lu Feng

A sixth actor, Wei Pai, played a Venom only once (the Snake) and he is nowhere to be seen now.

Some of the better Shaw Brothers films were:

Kid With The Golden Arm
Avenging Eagle
Ten Tigers From Kwangtung
5 Deadly Venoms and Return Of The Five Deadly Venoms
Flag Of Iron
Masked Avengers
Killer Army
Shaolin Rescuers
The Chinatown Kid.....

.....and I could go on but that's a starter list. Again, anyone seriously inot old school martial mayhem, do NOT overlook the Sahw Brothers films!

BakaXero
i loved the bruce lee movie.
pity he died before finishing "the game of death".
but hollywood should never tried to finish it.
they ruined his vision
and create a piece of C***.

SilverFighter
I haven't seen the 5 deadly venoms in a loooong time. But you just gave me some flashbacks of the characters I think it goes something like this:Kuo Chiu (Lizard),Chiang Sheng (The young Student) ,Lu Feng (Centipede) Lo Mang (Toad), Sun Chien (Scorpion), Wei Pei (Snake). The Shaw brothers are the masters of Hong Kong martial arts, I not sure but most of their movies were made in Mandarin and translated to Cantonese. Anyways their classics are to find nowadays so thats why not many people know about them but still, they are awesome with their work
smile

Traydemark03
I think Jackie Chan and Jet Li would clash...but hey...you never know...

Shaolin soccer was a funny kung fu movie...It wasn't really kung fu though (no fighting) but it was still hilarious. CG worked well for that movie

thorC
i dont think Jacky and Jet would clash in a film . coz Jacky can play comedy but Jet don't. you see you can smile throghout Jacky movie but for Jet, no i don't know. i think it's going be Jet's hard time in Hollywood.and many Hk stars too.

Dagons Blade
You , my friend, are 100% corrct, and let me shake your hand for your excellent memeory. You rock! Wei Pai (Snake) is practically out of the spotlight today, and Chiang Sheng died as a result of drinking himsef to death over his wife's leaving him, and Kuo Chiu, his best friend and mentor, said that he died of a broken heart more than anything else. The other ones are still working however.

Anyhow, do you remember Alexander Fu Sheng? He died in July of 83' in a car crash, and prior to that, he wa sthe only person to have ever bought and lived in Bruce Lee's house after Lee died. Many believe "the curse" killed him too. Fu Sheng was so popular that had he lived, Jackie Chan may have taken a back seat. 2 of Fu Sheng's best films are "The Chinatown Kid" with all of the Venoms, and "Avenging Eagle" with Ti Lung, who made a name for himself as Chow Yun Fat's brother in the "A Better Tomorrow" films.

The best villian in the Shaw films? Wang Lung Wei, the eternal creep. He had this beautifully deceptive and evil appearance that just made you jump for joy whenever he got it. Anyway, thanks for helping me out here, you have a great memory!!!

BakaXero
Jacky and Jet
hmm...........
their sorta like rival in the movie business
some actor will never be in the same and i think Jacky and Jet are one of those.
Dont get me wrong i'd fink it be cool if they did.
but it aint gonna happen

thorC
last year i saw some good Kung Fu Movie calle dthe Hero i forgot the actors name . Like Any Liew or Tony Leang, this is a Hk movie which filmed in China. i think it's good. it's English spoken movie. thou last week i was in HK for my business, i have talked to someone there abou their HK movie market thty told me that it was clash by Korea and Japan movie. i have seen some Korean movies. i think they are hard too understand. and most of them are horror movie with stupid plot.
and they said that now this industry in HK tren to produce HK mafia movie rather than Kung Fu movie. and Kung Fu movie are going to be afternoon TV series.

Kes
thorC> Japan are making some of the best horror movies!

Traydemark03
I think you mean Andy Lau. It was called "the Duel." They released a dubbed version of the movie.

BakaXero
i hate dubbed movies
i hate anything dubbed
they stuff it up so much
the voices they dont suit the characters
i prefer subtitles over dubbed any day

thorC
if you are talking about The Ring. yes it is a great movie and book too. but not in Hollywood Version.
i fact i dont' like horror movie coz i think my life is horror enough now. stick out tongue stick out tongue
So ' i just flew back from Japan the other day. everywhere in Japan is LOTR. you know all the Teens out there put on LOTR stuff. i think that freak me out.

@> Traydenmark03: i think i quite clear about the name it is THE HERO. but i can't figure the actors name.

SilverFighter
I did not know Alex die sad that's a real shame. I haven't seen "Avenging Eagle" or "A Better Tomorrow" but those will definetly be my next rentals. There is a documentary about the Shaw brothers and Harvest films history. I forget the name but I do remenber Samuel L. Jackson narrates it, is worth seen it. The origins of Chinese Opera inspired the best Martial Arts films today. Check it out is a real cool documentary big grin

Traydemark03
It might've been "A Man Called Hero." It stars Ekin Cheng. He's a regular superstar there.

What was the movie about?

thorC
yah That's right it's the same one . besides have you ever seen The Twn Effect, The Strom Rider ,yet . they're very entertaining Kung Fu movie. of coz full of Sp Effx. which have seen in the matrix.
i guess you will enjoy it.

Kes
Not just The ring, but The eye and others...they have that violent type of horror. Really cool. According to a teacher of mine,Europe is making some good horror movies too. Have to investigate that!

Traydemark03
Yep. I have them. I don't like Storm Raiders too much, my friends love it though...There is no real fighting...it's all CG.

Twin's Effect is pretty good. Gillian Chung is cute. It's so ironic how Gillian Chung and Charlene Choi team up because they make up a singing group called "The Twins" and the title of the movie is "Twin's EFfect."

badkittykitty
there might be good news in the works! crouching tiger comes from a series of five books..rumors are Ang Lee will make the pre-sequel of Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon. The name of the movie will be Treasured Sword, Golden Hairpin. The story will combine episode two and three.

BakaXero
yea... most hk movies coming out are like now
theres one called the Bad Boys club filled with special FX

i dont get why they named the movie The Twin effect. its got nothing to do with it. its mainly about Vampires. i know Twins are in it but they dont act as sisters in it.

These days they use more singers in thier films and less martial artist

thorC
now have you ever seen Korean Thai Horror movie. umm. like- A Tale of Two Sisters and Thai horor Movie - Three= well in this movie there are three directors with three different movie. all of them are the great horror movie, thu. in fact one of my friend adviced me to see the on of Shaw Brothers film= The Legend of The Bat and The Buddha 's Plam, which i think they are good you guy must see them.

may be i'm the last one in the planet earth to see Fall Safe which is the CBS movie. WOW i think it's great war movie without battle filed and blood on the movie. everything in the movie is about war room and great scritp. it's about human with power have to deal with the mistake that lead them to war and disaster. if any one have seen it. what do you think?

Kes
To tell you the truth I'm not big on Non-english movies.

thorC
me neither. it's my job to see those movie.but it is , isn't it? why don't you try?

Vin
Anyone out there a real kung fu movie buff??? Looking for some old school Bruce Lee movies that ive seen when i was young. Know of any names or places to check?

Vin

Kes
They are non-existent here!

thorC
Vin @ Check out your local VDO rental. i'm sure there will be. if you are in NY. there's a lot .
KAS @. Next mounth i have a plan to go to Thailand . There will be a movie festival. if you want to see some give me your address i'll send some to you. i'm very kind, right.

Kes
lol Its kes wink
Not a good idea to give my address to strangers shifty but thatnks.

thorC
A-Ha. all the movies are not for free, i'll bill you. but you should check out some rentals round. by the way. i'll not send someone to kill you just bill you . stick out tongue stick out tongue stick out tongue Do you like asian movies or indy movies i have lots in my stock. it is business stuff

Kes
lol My video store has very few movies and its a ***** to make my self a member of another messed
Like a said I rarely see non-English movies also non-European or non-American movies are very difficult to find embarrasment

Kes
But back to topic

Traydemark03
Bruce Lee only starred in 5 movies:
Fist of Fury (The Big Boss)
Chinese Connection (Fist of Fury)
Return of the Dragon (Way of the Dragon)
Enter the Dragon
Game of Death

He was in some more movies as a kid but those aren't what we know him for. And of course, he was in Green Hornet...

thorC
think so!!!!
i know that Bruce first Hollywood movie was not released.
anns most of his film is Hk. movie which are non- english movie.
but they are great. mmm. he was on some TV show in America too, ( mt father told me that)

Traydemark03
Actually...only the last three were released here. The first two never made it till the 90's...I think it was the 90's...

Other than Green Hornet he came up with the idea of the Kung Fu series but the producers sold him out and instead cast a Caucasian guy named David Carradine...He was recently 'heard' in Kill Bill vol. 1. (they didn't show his face).

thorC
oh really i thought he die b4 his first hollywood movie released. thankx you 4 yr information.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.