Help add a Horror movie to my collection

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Zilverz
I really enjoy reading all of your posts in this horror forum. I have a small collection and would like to slowly add to it. If you guys wouldnt mind taking the time to submit 1 horror movie that you think i might enjoy, i would greatly appreciate it.

Submit the movie as if it would be the next one you purchased owning my tiny collection.

---
Night of the Living Dead - (color remake 1990)
Dawn of the Dead - (waiting on the remasterd version of the original)
Day of the Dead
Return of the living Dead
28 Days Later
The Last House on the Left
Texas Chainsaw Massacre - (original)
Event Horizon - (scifi/horror)
---

h0ck3yh0rr0r
my favorite horror movie of all time would be Red Dragon. Actually the whole Hannibal Lecter series. i recommend you get it.

BackFire
Evil Dead, Dog Soldiers, Henry - Portrait of a Serial Killer

Evil Dead
In addition to Backfire's suggestions.........

Halloween 25th Anniversary
Hellraiser
A Nightmare on Elm Street
In the Mouth of Madness

DeNiro
as Evil Dead said, Hell Raiser, that is a must.

Lord_Andres
The Fog and The Thing(Remake)

wicker_man
The Wicker Man
Nosferatu ('22 Version)
Jaws
Evil Dead 2 : Dead By Dawn
The Army of Darkness : Evil Dead 3
The Amityville Horror
The Shining
Poltergeist

johnny_rotten
One definitely NOT to get or even consider is the pathetic 13 GHOSTS.

Striel
The Amityville Horror and The Shining are must haves.

SlipknoT
the texas chainsaw massacre (1974)

SilverFighter
Hellraiser is a must for horror fans but since it has already been mention. I suggest you add Phantasm and The Howling to your list of dvds.

SlipknoT
childs play is ok

Freddy_vs_Jason
im so pissed off, i was just downloading "freddy vs. jason" on the net and it turned out to the the ****en stupidiest movie ever "final destination 2" sum ****en bastard cheated me, ****, am i ever going to see this movie, last night i hired out all the nitemare on elm street moviez apart from one and 2 , 2nite im watchin "freddy's dead:the final nightmare" oh i would kill 2 see freddy vs. jason

Freddy_vs_Jason
duz ne one know wen freddy vs. jason cums out in new zealand or austrailia? ive searched all over the net but i cant find it

cobak
I have a movie that everyone should see. "Killer Monkey From The Outer Sector" Now i know none of you have hear of this, because its not out yet, but as soon as it comes out, i can get you a copy if youll pay the shipping charges. Its a freakin tour de force my friends.

eggmayo
return of the living dead part 2.
pure hilarity

Lord_Andres
I know what you mean Freddy vs Jason, the same happend too mesad

Michael Myers 1
yea i downloaded part one from kazza as i thought but it looked like crap and since i already saw it i didnt watch it

HockeyFace
Here are some good ones to add to your collection, Zilverz:

Abominable Dr. Phibes, The (Vincent Price)
Dr. Phibes Rises Again (Vincent Price)
Last Man on Earth, The (Vincent Price, Inspiration for Night of the Living Dead)
Prince of Darkness (Donald Pleasance)
Wishmaster (Robert Englund)
The Black Cat (Bela Lugosi, Boris Karloff
The Raven (Bela Lugosi, Boris Karloff
Pumkinhead

Here are some horror movies I haven't seen but suggest you add to your collection anyway:

Invisible Ray, The (Bela Lugosi, Boris Karloff)
Horror of Dracula (Christopher Lee, Peter Cushing)

wicker_man
You have some classics in there good choices. smile

samhain
Candyman, Alien, Maniac Cop 1&2, Friday the 13th, IT. Just a few off the top of my head, enjoy.

Michael Myers 1
Halloween 1 and 2 (all if your like me)
Friday the 13th (maybe)
Evil Dead
Stephen Kings: IT
Final Destination 2
Texas Chainsaw Masacre (old one)
Psycho
Nightmare on Elm Street
Hellraiser Series

Zilverz
Holy chittttzzz you guys are hookin me up ... Thanks!!! i have seen some of the ones you listed .. but most i havent ..

In what order should I watch the Hannibal series ?

this is awesome .. keep up with the titles guys

wicker_man
Manhunter
Red Dragon
Silence of the Lambs
Hannibal

samhain
It might not be classed as horror but nobody should be without the film cube.

venomfan
the sure fire must haves are the thing, the shining,the first nightmare, and pet semetary.

Nastybutlerbob
I am assuming that you are a romero fan considering you own the Dead trilogy. So this is not a reccomendation, its an order.

Look for Fulci! Lucio Fulci.

The Beyond
Beyond the Beyond
Zombie
Zombie 3
The Gates of Hell

Fulci is the man, he has made some very primo zombie gore flicks. He succesfully combines suspense and gore. For example one scene in zombie is a lovely woman hiding behind a barricaded door. A zombies hand busts through the door and slowly pulls her head, eye first, towards a jaggged wooden shard. Now in modern mainstream horror the maiden will get away at the last moment. Not with Fulci. Also is the magnificent underwater battle in zombie between a zombie and a real shark. Find it. Being a Romero fan I'm sure you'll dig it. If not, well then I'll just have to shut up and go F*** myself.

Zilverz
LOL too funny!!! yes romero fan here and I will definately start out your list with Zombie

Zilverz
Thanks never heard of Manhunter... prequel huh ?

wicker_man
Manhunter was the prequel to Silence of the Lambs and was based on 'Red Dragon', the film Red Dragon is infact a remake of Manhunter.

Zilverz
Just ordered

Dog Soldiers, Zombie, and Hellraiser1

im workin on these guys ..slowly... anyone that hasnt made a suggestion please feel free... i need quality horror (;

wicker_man
Not a big fan of Hellraiser to be honest but Zombie and Dog Soldiers are great choices, Dog Soldiers is brilliant.

RobBo
If you like tongue in cheek visual horror, try to get hold of "Basketcase", one of the infamous 1980s 'video nasties'. More classy (from the same period) is "The Thing".

For the ultimate in psychological horror/terror, try "The Cabinet of Doctor Caligari". A 1920's sepia that will scare the shit out of you. Seriously.

Wolfie
The Howling
Wolf
A Nightmare on Elm Street Series
Freddy vs. Jason
13 Ghosts
Final Destination
Evil Dead Trilogy

Freddy_vs_Jason
We share each others pain......,i was so pissed off, it cums out tomorrow in u.s.a on dvd and vhs...i would kill too see it...!!

zombieman
City of the Living Dead

Freddy_vs_Jason
there's no such thing!! its "city of the dead"

ragesRemorse
angel heart

Rosemary's baby

Ninth gate

the shining

HockeyFace
Go to classic-horror.com for some good horror movies.

Zilverz
I just watched Zombie today .... nice and gorey .. I like his style ... i read that Zombie 3 was intended to continue the story but then it didnt and fulci dropped off the film ... anyone seen this and is it good ?

mjpgameplaya
Ya man I had the same problem. I downloaded what seemed to be a copy of Freddy vs Jason on Kazaa but turned out to be Final Destination 2. It wasn't the whole movie either. It was like 5 minutes of it. I have the Freddy vs Jason dvd and I highly recommend buying it. The movie is awesome and theres tons of special features and alternate/deleted scenes.

Dario Argento

Nastybutlerbob
This might be a bit of a leap But try august underground and its sequel AUgust Underground Mordum. I can tell you how disgusting and horrible these great films are but no matter how bd I tell you they are they will still blow you away with their very realistic nature. To get these fine gems just email Fred Vogel c/o Toe Tag Pictures. His email address is [email protected]. If anyone is on ezboard they should dig the gorezone forum. It is frequented by Krusty, the female in my sig, and a hard working individual for toe tag. By the way, the pic in my sig is from AU Mordum.

HockeyFace
Oh I also suggest Alone in the Dark. It is a great "lost" slasher flick with Donald Pleasence. It is about the mental institute Haven which has a bunch of crazy killers like a 400 pound man that rapes girls, a tough as nails scheizophrenic(sp?), a murderer that has nose bleeds when he kills people, and a killer that quotes the bible a lot! MWHAAHAHAHA! So anyways Haven's only security is electicity... but then there is a black out and... well... ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE BABY!!!! The movie kicks A$$. Martin Landau stars in the movie as Preacher the bible quotein' psychopathic killer, and he does a TREMENDOUS job in the movie with the chracter. Really good movie from 1982 that I suggest you pick up soemwhere, and if you don't find it in the a store or rental place buy it off the net!

If you like Gothic horror pick up The Skull with Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee. It is about a man that gets a skull which is actually the skull of the first sadist Marqui De Sade. It so happens the skull is filled with an evil spirit that can make people do bad things like steal or even kill. A good entry if you are a fan of Gothic horror.

Now if I did not already suggest it go get the Tingler. It is an old school horror film that is made by the master of gimmicktry, William Castle. There are so many gimmicks in this film. It is always fun to watch a William Castle film and when you thrown in Vincent Price with some great lines as a major character and tthere is no going wrong. If you like The Tingler I suggest you also see Mr. Sardonicus, House on Haunted Hill, Straight-Jacket, Homicidal, Macbre, 13 Ghosts, and Zotz!

movie_god
Silence of the lambs
Red Dragon
Carrie
The Exorcist (just cus its a classic)
The Thing
Evil Dead
Halloween
The Omen
Rosemary's Baby

amlap
you really a fan of dog soldiers? is this the kind fo new scottish film bout the military guys, or is there a remake? because the one i saw was kind of shitty!

i hear the FOG is a brilliant movie, tho i never saw it!

wishmaster
carrie
event horizen
puppet master
maniac cop
phantasm( which in my opinion, is one of the most underminded horror series out there)
children of the corn
deliverance( trust me its horror!)

Freddy_vs_Jason
mgpgameplaya i downloaded the exact thing as you! it turned out to be final destination!! and f v j duznt come out here to 4th of feb (next wednesday) and thats only 2 rent, it cums out march 25th to by.......

papabeard
I would reccomend :
Cannibal Holocaust
RoadKill
Psycho
the shining
the excorsist
braindead
salems lot & return to salems lot
henry protrait of a serial killer
dog soldiers
The Last Broadcast
The Wicker Man
The Ted Bundy Movie ( Very Disturbed)
The true Story of Henry Lee Lucas
Ring
Ring 2
Ring 0 ( The Japanese versions not the american)
The Mask of Satan
Buried ALive ( Original Hammer)
The Pit and The Pendulum
Nosferatu
Scorpio Rising
The Exorcist 2 & 3
The omen trilogy

Zilverz
Wow i have an unlimited supply of movie titles to check out it seems .... I just recently watched the original HellRaiser .. and Dog Soldiers ... both great flicks ... the wolves looked pretty cool in DS.. thanks for the recommendations ... ill be going back to this post for the rest of the year probably

wicker_man
You may also wish to consider the following 'less mainstream' titles:

Bad Taste ~ Although not a horror as such it has some pretty disgusting scenes, not to mention it is pretty cheesy and humorous.

Haunted ~ Not to be confused with Jan De Bont's similary titled 'The Haunting', this is a tradtional English ghost storgy set in early 20th century England - in the same vein as the others.

Black Sunday

The Innocents

Jacob's Ladder

The Haunting (1963 Version)

Suspiria

The Stepfather

Pet Semetary ~ More mainstream then the rest of the list but still worth a look.

Spoorloos

Another Heaven

The Devils Backbone

House of Wax

Inner Senses

Series 7 : The Contenders ~ Less horror but definetly worth a look particualry if you are getting fed up with reality shows.

The Witchfinder General

The Bloody Judge

wicker_man
Also, if you do not mind early 20th Century horror i recommend Golem (a.k.a wie er in die Welt kam, Der) a German horror film filmed in the 1920's.

HockeyFace
I heard Bloody Judge is the offenseive movie in the Chrisatopher Lee collection, so what do you think wicker man.

wicker_man
Indeed it is a pretty disturbing film, as always Sir Christopher Lee gives such a sterling performance in his portrayal as the brutal and sadistic Lord George Jeffreys (in my opinion only really rivaled by Vincet Price's Matthew Hopkins - from the Witchfinder General ) and whats more the character as portrayed by Sir Christopher Lee was based on a real person who was actually based in our village, known as the 'hanging judge' he took pleasure out of sending people to the gallows, it is certainly not a film that can be viewed lightly and even compared to The Wicker Man this is probably Lee's most disturbing portrayal to date.

HockeyFace
Thanks wicker man! Hey since you seem to known a lot about the my favorite Brit actors could tell me if you would recommend any of these Peter Cushing/Christopher Lee/Vincent Price movies? Thanks!

1. Dr. Terror's House of Horrors
2. Island of Terror
3. Corruption
4. Mummy's Shroud
5. Creeping Flesh
6. Man Who Could Cheat Death
7. The Uncanny
8. Land of the Minotaur
9. Monster Island
10. The Ghoul (1975, the Peter Cushing one not the Karloff one)
11. Curse of the Crimson Alter

wicker_man
Dr. Terror's House of Horrors - Well for a start this film is a must for the cast alone, not only do you have Lee and Cushing but also you have Donald Sutherland, Frank Forsyth and Roy Castle (RIP) to boot, the ending is brilliant and has to be one of the best i've seen from a Hammer Horror (HH) movie.

Island of Terror -If you like the traditional feel of the Hammer Horrors this film is a must for it has all the traits of one cheesy special effect, damsels in distress (so expect lots of prolonged screaming).

Corruption - Although Cushing stars, this film IMO lacks something that makes it feel like a Hammer Horror, still if you like a bit of thriller mixed in check this out.

Mummy's Shroud - Again another horror film in the true mold of Hammer Horror, although not as good as some of its more well known predecessors (i.e. The Mummy).

Creeping Flesh -This is one of those films with an over zealous plot that wouldn't look out of place in one of todays Hollywood productions, although its over enthusiasm lead to the films downfall although not rubbish in anyway often the films story became unstuck as a result.

Man Who Could Cheat Death - Again another over-zealous plot and again another hit & miss effort.

The Uncanny - One of Hammers more moderate outputs.

Land of the Minotaur - Donald Plescence returns once again (with HH regular Peter Cushing) to investigate a series of unexplainable deaths on a small village, the name sort of gives it away as to what is causing this.

Monster Island - Again another moderate about the name explains it all.

The Ghoul - John Hurt aids Peter Cushing, this is one of Hammer Horror productions moves into the genre of the living dead and is pretty good to boot.

Curse of the Crimson Alter - Again pretty good, in the style of HH but certainly not one of their best efforts.

HockeyFace
Thanks! Hey could you take a look at these horror films and tell me if you recommend any of these:

1. Eye of the Devil
2. Taste of Fear
3. Terror of the Tongs
4. Doctor from Seven Dials
5. Body and the Whip
6. My Uncle was a Vampire
7. Carmilla
8. Horror Castle
9. Castle of the Living Dead
10. The Christopher Lee Fu Manchu films
11. Eugenie
12. Vampir-Cuadecec
13. Houe that Dripped Blood
13. From Beyond the Grave
14. Raw Meat/Death Line
15. Dark Places
16. The Keep
17. Stranglers of Bombay

wicker_man
Ok will do, although i may need some time as its ages since i've seen some of those aforementioned films.

HockeyFace
sorry, its just you are the ONLY person on this board that has possibly seen these movies and everyone else only wants to see a gorefest. Also since you seem to like Brit horror I suggest you go to britishhorrorfilms.co.uk

Cinemaddiction
I was going to say 'Dead Alive". It's just a cornerstone horror flick.

I'd avoid anything like Candyman, and the latter installments of the 3 big 3 franchises.

SlipknoT
Since when is candyman a big franchise?

Cinemaddiction
Candyman, in addition to the big 3, is what meant.

SlipknoT
o ok

BAFilmworks
Take Zombi 3 off that list and add New York Ripper, House By The Cemetery, A Lizard in a Woman's Skin, or Don't Torture the Duckling. Zombi 3 is terrible, and is only part directed by Fulci, the rest is directed by Italian Uber-Hack Bruno Mattei a notoriously awful filmmaker responsible for such films as (Troy McClure voice) Hell of the Living Dead (aka Night of the Zombies), Rats : Nights of Terror, and Cruel Jaws (aka Jaws 5 a terrible Jaws ripoff) It also rips off many many elements of Dan O'Bannon's - Return of the Living Dead.

Add these films to your list of must see horror films
Lisa and the Devil
Black Sunday
Kill Baby Kill
Suspiria
Opera
Profondo Rosso
Phenomena
Dellamorte Dellamore (Cemetery Man, Mi Novis Es un Zombie)
Stagefright
Cannibal Holocaust
Beyond the Darkness (aka Buio Omega)
Demons
Night of the Living Dead '68
Dead and Buried
Re-Animator
Let Sleeping Corpses Lie (Breakfest at Manchester Morgue)
Plague of the Zombies
Horror of Dracula
Curse of Frankenstein
Blood Feast
2000 Maniacs
The Gore-Gore Girls
Brain Damage
Basket Case
Maniac
Martin
Phantasm
The Prowler
Society
Return of the Living Dead 1 and 3
Dead Alive
Bad Taste

Zilverz
awesome im glad this post is still getting action .. i have the most enourmous amount of movies to pick from now (:

BAFilmworks
I tried to come up with a well rounded list, but in doing that my love of Italian horror cinema came out, and many of those film are Italian, primarily from the late 70's and early 80's. Some of those are just Gore films and others lean toward science fiction like Phantasm and Bad Taste.

If you want some good suggestions check out these books

Videohound's Cult Flicks and Trash Pics
Videohound's Horror Movie Guide
Joe Bob Brigg's Profoundly Disturbing
Eaten Alive : Italian Cannibal and Zombie Films by Jay Slater

Most of these films deal with cult films in General, but much information on horror can be found in those pages, then again who's for being a total elitist. That can get boring, believe me I've tried it before. I wouldn't take the reviews too seriously in either of the videohound's, it's all of a matter of opinion really, but they really are great sources of information for the cult/horror fan.
Others like Eaten Alive are very well written essays and reviews, although once again it's all a matter of opinion. For example Giovanni Lombardo Radice's commentary to Jungle Holocaust and Cannibal Ferox are quite negative, but then again he suffured through the making of Cannibal Ferox, and even had a prosthetic penis cut off of him in front of a crowd of people while being filmed. On the other hand Lloyd Kaufman's review of Cannibal Holocaust is quite interesting, and being that it's in Lloyd's nature, he brings up some Troma films that relate to the topic at hand.
Joe Bob Brigg's book is so well written that it at times seems out of character. It's more John Bloom then Joe Bob Briggs, but it is one of the most interesting reads to come out recently on the subject of cult/disturbing cinema. It only covers 15 or 16 movies, but the essays are interesting and as I mentioned prior were very well written. Esp. good were the essays that covered The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari, Blood Feast, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, and Reservoir Dogs.

If I could pick any one film off the list earlier for you to check out immediatly...I would end up picking two... rules are meant to be broken ..

Re-Animator
and
Dario Argento's Suspiria

Check out some reviews if you like, but try going into them with a fresh mind.

I've been told that people didn't get Suspiria the first times they've seen it, but with me the attraction was instant. Suspiria imo is one of the most beautiful, suspenseful, horrorfic films ever made, and cemented Dario Argento of one of the all time great masters of horror cinema regardless of his recent output (Barring the Stendhal Syndrome)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.