Materialistic?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Julie
I am relating a huge generialization, but here goes nothing.....people say that Americans are materialistic.....
Do you agree or disagree with this statement?

ToMacco
Why even bring something like that up? It all comes down to opinion, and people are gonna start bitching at each other.

Anyone who owns anything is materialistic, in a way. You want to have nice things, and like when you have them.

Julie
Personally I think materialistic is such a harsh word.....Usually its uttered by people who generally think bad of Americans anyway.

ToMacco
People say a lot of things about what they don't understand. Any kind of statement like "All American's are materialistic" are bogus.

Julie
It's also a fallacy. I believe it is a hasty generalization.

ToMacco
Yeah, exsactly. Lots of people are like that. (Notice I didn't say ALL people are like that smile ).

Julie
I'm proud of you, but that prob is not a fallacy big grin ....people make fallacies all the time wink ...you should read the paper...they're packed with various fallacies.

queeq
This is where you start a debate to define "materialistic"so you can dodge the subject entirely. wink

ToMacco
um, your materialistic? sad confused confused

queeq
Yes, a bit yes. I try not to be too much, but when it comes to DVD's I want them all.

yerssot
and we all know his obsession with Tombraider...

queeq
Not obsession, liking. And the movie wasn't too great, but Jolie was. wink

finti
all people are materialistic. Given the opportunities people yerns for stuff.

queeq
I agree.

yerssot
and then people call you obsessed, how rude!

queeq
Pardon?

yerssot
that's the point

queeq
Of course.

yerssot
didn't want to overcomplicate things for you

queeq
You're too kind.

yerssot
I always was, am and will be

Ratcat
I think that the entire western world is materialistic on some level.

We all want our little home comforts, or a nice car, or a holiday in the sun, or DVD's, or Computer games or whatever.

Ushgarak
The States is the centre of capitalism. Therefore, ANYONE who thinks the world is becoming too obsessed with accumulation of things will lay the blame at America's door. Hence people calling it 'materialistic'

Ratcat
BUt then they do seem to work harder for it.

The average American seems to work more hours and have less vacation time than the average European.

queeq
True, but they also pay less taxes so that kinda evens it out.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.