Matrix is a huge ripp off!!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

cobak
Saddeningly i found out today that matrix is a huge ripp off of the movie "Robot Holocaust". The main person in it is even named neo. Check out the description on the back cover of the movie "Against the deimated ruins of New York City, explore the desolate future facing mankind after the horrifying ROBOT HOLOCAUST. Powerful robots have seized the Earth, poisoning the air and reducing human beings to a race of slaves imprisoned underground. Against hideous giant worms, flesh eating mutants and robot warriors, the nomad Neo and his robot Klyton face the unimaginable evil power of The Dark One in a spectacular battle beyond description to reclaim the earth and rescue the human race from the ROBOT HOLOCAUST." I hate to post this, but after the huge dissapointment that was revolutions i have to because the wachouski bros are a sham.

Lord Shadow Z
Are you serious?

Lord Shadow Z
You are right! I've just checked it out on the net laughing laughing

realworlddreams
wow! did u actually watch the movie to see if this is true? or r u jus another person who decided to blame their personal beliefs about the matrix on something else? i think the latter.

realworlddreams
btw, there were no giant worms, mutants or robot warriors (sentinels yes, warriors no) in the matrix. humans weren't enslaved underground, thats where they were free.did neo have a robot? no. there is no machine evil (the dark one) only Smith within the matrix. also, the sky wasnt poisoned, it was blacked out. also, the robots didnt take over man, man began a war w/the robots. also, the name neo is symbolic in the matrix, not necessarily generic. (neo=one, also theres the whole Neodaumas ) thing about philosophy). maybe if u came to this forum and read a lot more, u would understand.
im not flaming here, i jus honestly think u dont know wut ur talkin about and if ur basing an idea w/o proof other than a box description, i dont even consider u.
so i guess the only similarity thats really there is a nomad named NEO playing w/a robot...

dragonpisces272

BioLogos
Also: you can believe that if there WERE a shred of similarity (real or imagined) in the stories (beyond the generic "machines take over the world" theme), the writers of "Robot Holocaust" would have been very quick to sue the pants off of everyone connected to The Matrix in an attempt to extract whatever $$$ they could get.

mook
The matrix has lots of influences such as;

Mona Lisa Overdrive is a book written by William Gibson. Gibson has written another book, Neuromancer. One of the first Cyberpunk novels, featuring
"Zion"
"The Matrix"
"The Oracle"
"the construct"
"Smith"
EMP weapons
Only 1 survivor of an attack, sabotaged by an EMP
a factory of babies, grown in tubes
"Reinhold Scientific A.G." (connection to Neo's boss, Mr. Rhineheart?)
A villian with a French accent
connection between brains and computers via electrodes
an enemy who was "an unthinkably powerful artificial intelligence"
Words like "The sky was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel."
Just think of the green and blue hue in the Matrix / in Zion
Sunglasses
Trenchcoats
Black clothes

however the matrix shows its influences, often with references. in this case the music to the freeway chase is called "Mona Lisa Overdrive"

from dragonpisces272's post i dont think this film is a major influence.

Korri
lol

Sifer
This has to be one of the most hilarious threads ever. Seriously! big grin

Are you not aware that the Matrix is everywhere? It is all around us. Even in this very forum. It is there when you watch TV, or movies, or when you read books.

What is the Matrix? Whatever you want it to be.

Sifer
-

SilverFighter
Well, we don't really know if the W bros have seen this movie or not. There are going to be differences but the elements appear to be present in both films. I haven't seen "Robot Holocaust" so I can't really call The Matrix a rip-off yet (if there is such a thing as a rip off). I guess it wouldn't hurt to watch Robot Holocaust and try to enjoy it (cuz now it seems some folks will have a notepad and pencil ready) and maybe this movie could be a hidden cult classic that no one notice before.

SpikeSpiegel
shhhh...*looks around for men in suits*

realworlddreams
lol.

cobak
now, all your arguments arnt realy arguments at all, you see, you just dont wanna think that this movie is a sham. I know how you might feel, there is even a thread where people like you worshop the film, and to have someone say its a sham, is going against ur very grain. But i hate to tell you, it is a sham. why do you think the second and third movie realy had no plot, just some silly ideas that ended up nowhere. I mean common, who was anyone in that movie, they explained nothing, because they ran outa materal to rip off. Sorry guys, but no....way....

"puny citizens of New Terra, who are forced to slave in the energy mines" hrmmm, humans as energy producers, or just slaves in energy mines. Same idea common!

DARKVIRUS
Would'nt surprise me if they took some ideas from this film. I mean some ppl need to calm down I dont think this guy is saying they stole the idea completely...just that someone else had a layout and the wac. brothers ran with it.

There's nothing wrong with that IF you perfect and put your own twist on it. There is something wrong with ruining a good trilogy but, hey revolutions dropped of the top ten box office in just under four weeks so that good enough for me. :P

Fire
well the story of the matrix, with out all the philosophy isn't too great anywayz

DARKVIRUS
Well i think the first and the second one had something going there but, it just all fell apart for me in the third one. The majority of ppl disliked the third movie and I think for good reason.

Sifer
I said it in the "Matrix at the Oscars" thread. The Matrix Trilogy contains deep rooted Philosophy cloded by allegory. Note that last word - Hence the reason for my sarcastic post further up - which links to the word - allegory.

And again: What is the Matrix? Whatever you want it to be big grin

Sifer
Also, it didn't fall apart in the 3rd movie, it brought it all together. But that probably depends on how you look at it smile

kalantiaw
what is a rip off..? how do you define a rip off..? if rip off means a similarity between two very different movies, then every other movie IS a rip off... ideas have to begin somewhere... in music, books, and especially movies, originality is a rarity... why do you think they're remaking so many of the old films..? because they're running out of ideas... don't think of it as ripping off, but instead, think of it as pioneering...

GABRIEL05
HA HA HAAA!!!

laughing

JKozzy
Neo, a drifter from the atomic-blasted wastelands, arrives with his klutzy robot sidekick at a factory where slaves labor to fuel the sinister Dark One's Power Station. There, he meets a comely woman who convinces him to help rescue her scientist father, who has invented a device that can break the Dark One's control over the slaves. Gathering a motley crew of allies on the way, Neo and pals travel to the Power Station, where they confront the Dark One's evil servants.

Eh, a name and robots. That's really all there is. No virtual reality, no matrix, no Trinity, no Zion, no SMITH.

cobak
well thank u very much, someone with some brains. GOODNIGHT!

mook
i think its wrong to say the matrix is a sham.
its an original piece of work- but with many influences.
however i dont feel 'robot holocaust' is very similar and so probably not a major influence.

"puny citizens of New Terra, who are forced to slave in the energy mines"- people working in mines.

Matrix-people grown from birth, living unaware in a computer program.

not really the same thing....

DARKVIRUS
The key word being YOU. It depends on how the individual looks at it.

Mook: if you sit down and say "hey ppl are forced to be slave in a energy mine.....why not make ppl the source of the energy" then it could relate to eachother. You guys are not giving this guy a chance. If you sit down and look at some of the things he is saying it COULD be possible....but, I guess it's better to just shoot him down right away roll eyes (sarcastic) .

Sifer
Darkvirus: I know what I said. You don't need to tell me.

realworlddreams
ok, i admit that we're all wrong and the W. bros stole the idea completely off of Robot Holocaust...so thanx for ruining everything that i thought was great about the movie and making me realize that the two geniuses behind "the matrix" were so shallow and unimaginative as to steal their entire premise for one of the most ground-breaking films of all time off of a lame movie that is very un-like the matrix.

yeah right, go find a hole and sit in it. it isn't , it wasn't, and i don't have to accept or believe it.

DARKVIRUS
Dude, first of all you need to calm down. I never said it was true i just simply said it's possible. Sort of like how it would be possible for you to hold a decent discusion but, I refuse to believe that.

Seifer: Yes seifer you may have "known" what you said but I just wanted to make sure you "understood" it.

Verity
Ur movie doesn't really SOUND like the Matrix anyway.....If it's a rip off....then everything else that's ever been made is ALSO!....I mean......isn't everything and everyone influenced at some point by a previous project? Duh!
For someone who seems so sure of this, u should be checking how to write Wachowski before claiming they r the sham... roll eyes (sarcastic)

realworlddreams
do u have any proof that this movie was ever even SEEN by the W. Bros? hmm...now if they made a reference to it in an interview (not that i really know of many interviews they've done) then i would consider it, but not if you're jus pullin this movie outta ur ass like that.
n yes i can be very kind Darkvirus, go look in the Matrix Revs DVD cover thread.

Sifer
Believe me, the Wachowski's will have watched this movie. I guarantee it big grin

Virus: I also understand everything I type smile I thought you would have known that by now big grin

mook
DARKVIRUS>Mook: if you sit down and say "hey ppl are forced to be slave in a energy mine.....why not make ppl the source of the energy" then it could relate to eachother.

i dont feel thats the same. having people being slaves is a common idea used in many films, books etc.
the matrix idea is completely different to normal slaves.

DARKVIRUS>You guys are not giving this guy a chance. If you sit down and look at some of the things he is saying it COULD be possible....but, I guess it's better to just shoot him down right away.

i freely admit that The matrix has lots of influences such as the one i mentioned in this thread already 'Neuromancer' by William Gibson.
however from the description of the film there doesnt seem to be a lot of links between 'robot holocaust' and the matrix so i dont think this film is a major influence.
however, as you say it COULD be possible that it influenced the w.bros, but as for the matrix being a rip off of 'robot holocaust' i dont understand how anyone could believe this as the stories etc are too different.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.