Best Storyline in a game

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

§pearhead
I was just wondering what other people thought about the plots in some games. Personally, I think the best storyline is the Legacy of Kain series, but I don't play vid games a great deal, so there might be something more intriguing out there...

MUSE(a band)_16
i think the silent hill games are great
the end of silent hill 2 is awesome

RobBo
Tomb Raider 4: The Last Revelation...........what an adventure!

h0ck3yh0rr0r
ima say Legacy Of Kain: Soul Reaver. that game itself was great. story line was great.
Silent Hill was good too. alot of games have good storylines.

Voorhees
Fallout for PC that game had an awsome storyline. Fallout 2 was even better.

SaTsuJiN
Final Fantasy III or 6 if you prefer to get technical. Like backfire was saying, they've worked so hard on the story, that you can feel the turmoil that kefka has put each of the characters through. I swear they should've made this into a movie instead of 'spirits within'.

Linkalicious > since you were questioning me about this game you can read up a bit on it here : http://www.ffextreme.com/ff6.php (in the u.s. its ff3 tho heh)

Linkalicious
I'll go with Final Fantasy 8 on this, but i'm sure there are better because i've played a crap load of games. Wasn't the best story line, but i kinda liked the Tony Hawk Underground storyline for a short skating game.

HALO and HALO 2 will have as great of a storyline

oh and MegaMan legends for playstation i thought had a really fun and intriguing storyline

venomfan
i dont think X-box even belongs here(i beat halo on legendary i know what im talking about) gamecube and playstation are the only way to go if you want a compeling story...there makin a silent hill movie...brrrr(chills)

JRatT12
Ohh come on its got to be FF7. SO many twists and turns....like Arise dieing that was quite a shock to me. But i have always like the Resident evil and Zelda story lines as well (Zelda's is just classic guy saves the princes and the world at the same time very cool stuff)

this is not a discussion about xbox vs other consoles or about how quick you beat a game..it's about storyline alone and just cause you beat halo on legendary doesn't make it any less of a great story...i mean for me that's like 70% the reason why i love Halo so much-for the story

BackFire
Final Fantasy 3 (6), Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy 7, Warcraft 3, HalfLife

LordVegellamy
Final Fantasy 7 all the way. No matter how many times i play it, the story is still engrossing and hooks me every time. Excellently written game.

JKozzy
FINAL! FANTASY! VII!!!! big grin

wicker_man
Max Payne, Metal Gear Solid & Metal Gear Solid : Sons of Liberty

Darth Jello
Anyone play Faxanadu for the old NES? that one had a pretty complex storyline for an 8 bit game. still one of my favorites

glenn
Medal of Honor 'frontline' and 'rising sun' had some good storylines.

Linkalicious
to me i didn't feel emotionally distraut (sp?) when i saw Aeris die in FFVII, actually i don't see why so many different people got so attached to her. But i definitly think that FFVII would be in the top 5 if not top 3 for most gamers.

venomfan
yeah those wer some goofy lookin characters, i didnt need to specify earlier becuase ff7 was the best story in a game

KidRock
knights of the old republic hands down

RobBo
Q*Bert! (Ask your parents, kids!)

§pearhead
roll eyes (sarcastic) sure...

I havent played Kotor, but it looks damn good.

SilverFighter
thumb up

Another good storyline in a video game is "The prince of Persia: Sands of time" cool ending. smile

oh and super mario brothers

SaTsuJiN
I totally agree with backfire, and also about Metal Gear Solid... thats some of the best game music I've heard. Especially the track called "The best is yet to come"

theflyingmonkey
hey is anyone forgetting Kingdom hearts thats like one of the best story lines ever i loved that game anyone agree?

BloodSin
I'll have to say the Legacy of Kain Series (even if Blood Omen 2 went a little too far off the cheesy sci-fi deep end). The first Blood Omen was fantastically original, and the Soul Reaver games had all the best plot twists. It's almost filmworthy.

I'd also have to give a nod Vagrant Story. Definitely one of the best story lines out there. Kind of a shame that it didn't get more notice.

sith_darth_jay
C'mon, metal gear solid has the best storyline ever made, so many plot twists, the game is great, i didn' t like SOL that much, but is a great follow up for MGS

Darth Jello
does anyone remember startropics? the story lines of the two games were a little childish but tied into the legend of zelda in weird ways

Linkalicious
Hey in Final Fantasy III i just got off some stupid raft thing after fighting some dumb purple monster. I know i'm early in the game, but when's it supposed to start getting good? by now i was totally into Crono Trigger and even Lufia 2 Rise of the Sinistrals. I'm doubting that Final Fantasy III is a great game, but the story so far isn't anything to get excited over.

oblivious1
The top story line games. Some you probably have never played, but if you have then you will know how good these games are. I registered just to place this 1 post, thats it.

Oni. It is an old first person shooter with good graphics, but it will effect you with its story line. you will remember it for a lifetime

Deus ex: a very absorbing story line that will make you wonder about the world around you

Halo: if you havent played it, then you are really screwed up. its on xbox AND PC and you are using a PC right now.....

Lufia for GBA: go buy it. it has a touching story line and you will love it

Golden Sun for GBA: This is an amazing game, and you should buy it

SpikeSpiegel
I've got loads of games with good storylines, too many to choose.

xeous
KotOR

dave123
XIII

dave123
and MGS was good... KotoR was alrite i guess

total metalhead
im not sure about the best but the worst has to be Ninja Assault. i mean how can you find an excuse for basing a game revolving around a high-calibre state of the art automatic pistol in 15th century feudal Japan??? it makes no sense.

actually i think my fave storyline has to be Dynasty Warriors series. it was really complex, but very realistic and created 200 years of history from scratch, and FFVII comes second.

solidus
final fantasy 7 cant argue that

SaTsuJiN
I also liked Jedi Knight 2 : Jedi Outcasts story , Jedi academys gameplay was a bit better, but the story was kindof hashed :/
character designs are very cool too

Daedalus
Halo and Max Payne 1&2 (its twisted, but its also good because its SO cheesy)

Red_Drake
No matter what other people say, FF7 is the most popular around here, the plot of the game is impecable, just perfect, and to add with that, the magic sistem is the best one I have ever saw, you can mix your abilities not needing to change job like on the others games or be monojob like in FF9, I believe many will agree that the magic sistem of FF7 should be repeated.

SaTsuJiN
if you played FF VI then you wouldnt like VII's magic system... rather than 'earning' magic, you basically just buy it at the store? thats sorta silly... thats just my opinion though.

VI - Acquire Magicite, equip the desired magicite and learn the skills of that magicite over the course of battling

VII - Oh cool, Fire magic is at the store omg. And look even healing magic!

Red_Drake
I don't mean by buying, I too agree that was sorta silly, I meant to equip the magics, in this game you weren't stuck to a thief who could only steal or a mage who know nothing but black magic, in this one you could make a single character know how to summon, to use both black and white magic to steal as well, the bad side is that unlike FF6 you have to be equiped with the orb, or the spell wouldn't be casted but still I think it was better.

Dregh
Final Fantasy VII

VengeanceGOD
FF6 is the Greatest Video Game of All Time, which I guess also makes it the best RPG ever.

Elliot_Moose
first of all, HALO HAS NO STORY. practicly anyway.

Secondly. FINAL FANTASY 3/6 MADE ME CRY! AND KEFKA IS PURE EVIL!

Thirdy. FINAL FANTASY 7 Lovers are just people who look at previous final fantasy games and say they suck because the graphics are primative! YOU SHOULD ALL BE ASHAMED!!

Fourthly. THE TOP 3 STORYLINES ARE CHRONOTRIGGER, then FINAL FANTASY 3, THEN... To prevent argument, WHATEVER U THINK SHOULD GO THIRD. END OF DISCUSSION! ANYONE WHO DISAGREES WITH ME IS JUST A LITTLE KID WHO DOESN'T KNOW HIS HISTORY! Happy Dance it's peanut butter jelly time!

NOW ALL OF YOU SHUT UP AND AGREE WITH ME!

whitedragon
I think the best story line ever is either Final Fantasy 10 or the Metal Gear Solid games. Parasite Eve was ok 2.
eek!
I gota agree with Elliot on this one about Halo, it had no story line.

Johnson
FF6
FF7
FF8
FF10
FF10-2

The final fantasy games have the best storyline, well besides chrono trigger/chrono cross.

Battosuai_Tim
Xenogears
FF7
FF9
FF10

VENOMfan
for christ sake it was donkey kong, i mean Monkeys barrels and ladders a damsel in destress a plumber..........

§pearhead
I think y'all are forgetting galaxian, c'mon now roll eyes (sarcastic)

silvabullet
Star Wars:Knights of The Old Republic is the best story I've seen in a game. That's coming from a hardcore gamer with a large collection. Currently, I have started Legacy of Kain Defiance. But haven't really had a chance to get into it more.

Raventheonly
Heck ya KoTOR! But morrowind rivals its story if you actually get close to completing it, like i am! lol

Raventheonly
Um the best magic system created is in morrowind, limitless..... you can train in everything.. there are no limits. You can be a 2 ton lifting warrior shooting lightning bolts outa your left hand while smashing the guy with a hammer in your right.... all in Real Time!!!! no turn based crap...

Raventheonly
In morrow and Kotor you actually find out you are the enemy, there is no bigger twist then that!

Samas-adian
I hate the metal gear solid story..... i hated the parts where they kept on talking and talking and talking and talking.....i was like "excuse me can i have the gameplay back"

Story wise......Zelda are always nice....Half life story was typical..but how it was told, was amazing. I think the best is Starcraft for the PC...that was awesome.

VENOMfan
yeah Starcraft had a great story, i mean Fenix dies and returns as a dragoon, Kerrigan turns into the Zerg queen.........

Samas-adian
yah it was great, espically with add on.
Great characters like Raynor, and the Duke, sons of korhal.
Superb game.

VENOMfan
hell yeah, I hear there making a actuall sequal too, not just Starcraft:ghost but a legit Starcraft 2. I mean they set the ground work for a Zerg/Protoss hybrid, So theres a brand new race

Samas-adian
true...the series did leave with an open ending...but i would still like the humans in it. and im looking forward to ghost also, it would be cool to see the units up close in 3d...

Ushgarak
I would very much reject KOTOR; its plot was average at best. Morrowind started interesting but then became pretty mainstream and the ending was dire.

Blade Runner probably made a good go at best plot but kinda lost it at the end... darn... but fantastic for the first half.

I always liked Baldur's Gate II myself- David Warner made SUCH a good bad guy, it just went to show that games as well as films benefit from decent personalities.

Prince of Persia was VERY entertaining, also with great characters; I really was not sure about the end, though. Seemed like they just skipped a lot of the strange bits that had been so intriguing earlier on.

Starcraft and Warcraft both had very engaging plots, but I don't think they can be rated for effort along side your Baldur's Gates and Final Fantasies of this world.

Although it did not have a storyline as such, I always found Alpha Centauri's semi-narrative that unfurled as you discovered things very mature and engaging.

For that matter, cheesy as it was, Wing Commander III was frigging superb!

I suppose it is like films; it depends what sort of storyline you are after at the time. Hard to get a decent storyline like the Usual Suspects into a game because the actual 'game' part has to be there somewhere.

A Final Fantasy will probably win it; I just haven't really played enough to judge. I'll shoot for BGII, myself.

Ushgarak
Well, that's just the Xel'Naga experimenting...

darksephiroth13
Final Fantasy 7 it has so many twists and turns big grin

gls
i liked eternal darkness for gamecube.

Rogue Jedi
the best story line, i think, is a tie between the metal gear series and tekken series.

§pearhead
huh Tekken? That's rich--its just an excuse to get a bunch of random people to fight.

Raventheonly
Buldur's gate II and one are linked, ending in the throne of Baul, very cool story, you find out that you are the enemy to and must choose between immortality and being a hero. LOL i still havent sat and totally completed the Morrowind story. Farthest i got was starting to unite the great houses.... and so far its really cool.

Lord_Andres
The Warcraft story, and by the way, Half Life's stroy is basicly a copy of Dooms story

Ushgarak
No, I think Throne of Baal was very straightforward plotwise, and a little over the top.

I mean the main Baldur's Gate II plot in particular- a little sidetracked from the whole 'God' plot of the main game, and based around the interesting personality of the main bad guy. Top notch.

BackFire
Man, I still need to play those baldur's gate games. I own them and have yet to play them. I keep hearing how awesome they are and how they are among the best RPG's on the PC.

Raventheonly
All i got to say is a Vampire Archmage has to be one of the coolest bad guys ever, next to maybe a demi-liche.

Elliot_Moose
Before I list THE (not my) top STORYLINE games, I just want to tell you people that this forum is topiced on STORYLINES! The gameplay, graphics, or music have nothing to do with anything. Got it?!

1. Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy 3/6 (its a tie) "snes/psx"
2. Final Fantasy 10 "ps2"
3. Starcraft, Warcraft III "pc"
4. Call of Duty (yeah i know its history remade) "pc"
5. The Day of Silent Snowfall "pc"

those are the top 5 storylines, maybe i havnt played every game in the world but I know I'v played most of them.

Elliot_Moose
Before I list THE (not my) top STORYLINE games, I just want to tell you people that this forum is topiced on STORY-LINES! The gameplay, graphics, or music have nothing to do with anything. Got it?!

those are the top 5 storylines, maybe i havnt played every game in the world but I know I'v played most of them.

Elliot_Moose
Before I list THE (not my) top STORYLINE games, I just want to tell you people that this forum is topiced on STORY-LINES! The gameplay, graphics, or music have nothing to do with anything. Got it?!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.