What becomes of C-3PO in the 10 years?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Ratcat
According to the Behind the Magic CD, C-3PO will have his first job programming Binary Load Lifters, this ties in with what he tells Owen Lars. However, who is he doing this for?

We have also heard from Anthony Daniels that he was present for filming at the Lar's Homestead for Episode-II. Does he meet Owen then?

The Behind the Magic CD says that C-3PO recieves his protocol programming some years AFTER he was built. It also states that his initial form was somewhat different to how he was seen in the OT. Yes, we do know this already.

Does all this have any relation to the fact that C-3PO doesn't know Tatooine, doesn't recognise the Lars homestead, Doesn't recognise Obi Wan, Doesn't catch on to the name Skywalker???

That last one really bugs me. Once he heard the name Skywalker, it would seem to me natural that he would say. "Oh really Sir, I was built by a Skywalker."

King Jedi
I think the only way this can be explained is if he has his memory erased. Then his first job after this might be programming binary load lifters.

Ratcat
Could be, but then we don't know how the memory erasure works. It could be that events and experiences are erased whilst skills are maintained.

UnknownBountyHunter
I think he stays with Shmi, until after their slave wars, than he is taken by OB1, after Anakin's turn, to learn of his past.

Darth Daft
Ratcat I don't think you should rely to much on what the CD says. It is one of my favourite and best sources, but still it states that Threepio was activated centuries before the OT, whereas in TPM we find that he was only first made 30 or so years before. Also it says that he has managed to escape having his memory erased and that is why he has formed such a unique personality.

UnknownBountyHunter
Well what if he was activated, and Anakin rescued him from a scrap heap, rebuilt him, and then later his memory was partially-erased, but he remembered some crucial elements to his past?

Darth Daft
Yeah ok, I guess thats possible. But still, I have seen other mistakes on the BTM CD. It has loads of info on it, but some of it is false.

UnknownBountyHunter
"Untrue to thy eyes, one might seem, until thou opens wide enough to see light!" -UBH

P.S.-Don't ask, think!

Darth Daft
Just out of a matter of interest, does anyone actually know what binary load lifters are? They sound like something to do with cargo, but I'm not sure.

Ratcat
Actually DD, the CD just says he was activated many years before the Battle of Yavin. 40 years is many.....

I agree that some info has changed by what we have seen in TPM and some other stuff just doesn't match up with the OT or the EU.

I have a theory that I've been think about for some time that would place Threepio and R2 at the centre of this whole mess. What if they were instructed to never reveal what the discover in the prequels.

It could put a whole new perspective on them happening on the Lars homestead, though how trhey would have know that the Jawas were heading that way is a bit of a blocker to me right now.

Darth Daft
Ah I see you were right about the BTM CD. I could have sworn I saw it somewhere where it said he was activated over a century before though. I'll have to look it up.

Dim
I love how they rewrite stuff so that it seems like it was just a figment of your imagination...

I think it might be interesting if we were to find out that 3P0 was alot older than we thought...but I don't see any real reason for it ..yet.

Darth Daft
I guess it must be difficult for Lucasfilm making source books coz they'd have to be careful they don't make information that GL would want to do differently in a next film.
By the way, Ratcat, I just realised that it's in the back of the latest Star Wars Magazine (UK) where a writer stated that C-3PO has been said to have been over 100 years old in certain source books.
I guess we should ignore them. Like Dim said, Lucasfilm will obviously change a few things if they republish certain source books that don't agree with Episode 2.

Gundark
3PO stated in ANH to Owen that "sir, my first job was programming binary load lifters, very similar to your vaporators in most respects." I assume a BLL is a stationary piece of equipment the moves goods or cargo via an elevator or conveyor belt system and that the programming is on an intelligence level similar to Owens vaporators. I have a guess that 3PO, once removed from Tatoonine, will assume the usual course of being dragged from pillar to post throughout the films, from planet to ship to planet much as he was throughout the OT. And like JarJar was in ep1. George just kind of flings everybody around the galaxy, no time to pack a bag or anything. I like it and I think its exciting. Never know where the gang is gonna end up next. smile

Ratcat
If a BLL is similar to a vaporator, it's possible that it too is found on Tatooine.

Darth Daft
Yes I quite agree, Gundark. And the VD said that Luke was C-3PO's 43rd master? Geez, he HAS to do a lot of travelling.
But then, I probably shouldn't rely on the VD. It's been wrong many times about Threepio.
In fact, many sources seem to say wrong things about, and this is obviously because they all led us to believe that Threepio was just a company robot activated over a hundred years before the Galactic Civil War. Whereas in TPM it seems he was first activated around 30 years before (although some people believe Anakin made him from scrap and he had actually already been alive, but I don't believe in this).
So that is the main reason why source books are so wrong about Threepio. Their own facts are usually made up directly by using the fact that he was activated as a company droid over a century ago, so they can make up facts like, "Luke Skywalker is C-3PO's 43rd Master," and "C-3PO has been repaired countless times throughout his adventures because of constant damage while travelling around the galaxy."
So basically, if only Lucas had hinted that Threepio was in fact a private robot rather than a company one and that he was activated a few decades before ANH then the source books would have obviously have gone more in line with TPM.

Ratcat
DD, he is definately made from scrap. How else would Anakin have gotten the parts? Mail order perhaps, or perhaps in packets of Kellogs Cornflakes. laughing out loud

Darth Daft
Well, yes he is made of scrap, but what I meant is that I don't agree that Threepio was already a complete Droid before being built by Anakin. I think Lucas is trying to show us that Threepio's adventures begin HERE, in TPM. Nowhere else.
And according to the novel, Anakin called him C-3PO because he is the 3rd member of his family. So he was obviously not called C-3PO even if he did used to be a complete Droid. He would have had his memory wiped anyway, I think.

Ratcat
That's what I mean, an arm here, a torso there, a head from somewhere else. C-3PO could be made up of many. many different droids.

Gundark
Good point, RC. That's exactly what scrap is. A lot of different parts put together. Poor 3PO. If only the Ewoks had known he wasn't a true blue blood, his deity status would have scrap !!!! stick out tongue

queeq

Darth Daft
I agree. And yes, I think it's highly possible that Threepio was made out of parts from many different Droids. Still, it's the processor/brain/personality thing inside his head that counts. I think that as long as he has no memory of any possible adventures he may have had before Anakin built him then we shouldn't consider him the same Droid. Kind of like reincarnation, which some people believe happens to you after you die. However, personally I believe that if you have no memory of your past life, you have a different name, you are brought up in a different enviroment and by different guardians then you aren't even the same person you once was. Your personality, looks and opinion on certain things will be completely different, making you a completely different person.

Ratcat
I hadn't thought of that DD. It's a good point that you have raised. Where did the program come from? Was it residual froma previous incarnation or did Anakin create it.

I know this has been said many times before, but I thought I'd add it to the mix.

When Threepio says "Thank the Maker", he's basically thanking Anakin or worse of all Darth Vader.

queeq
I know. Corny, isn't it?

queeq out

Ratcat
Lucas must have realsied when he decided to make Anakin the person who constructed C-3PO or did here.....

theEviljedi
What I want to know is who programed C-3PO not to impersonate a King?Perhaps Captain Antillies?

Ratcat
Heh, heh, he's probably been programmed to not impersonate anyone... Or it could have something to do with secret orders regarding infomration he has that could affect the fate of the Galaxy.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.