Professor Rydell's DADA Class

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

airangel429
ONLY MEMBERS OF THE HP RPG GAME WILL BE PARTICIPATING IN THIS!!! big grin

What are the Dark Arts?

The Dark Arts differ from other forms of magic in the intent of the wizard using it. Most magic is relatively neutral--it can be used for bad or good. Some magic, however, is Evil in it's intention through and though. Spells of this kind are often called curses. Curses are spells that are often intended to cause harm to another person. This intention to do harm places that spell into the realm of the Dark Arts. However, simply casting a Curse spell doesn't mean that a person is using the Dark Arts. Ultimately, the deep, true intention of the caster is what makes the difference.

This is a difficult distinction to make in many cases. However, understanding the difference between acceptable and Dark magic is of key importance for witches and wizards in training, which is why Defense Against the Dark Arts is such an important class for students at Hogwarts. Other schools have a reputation for teaching the Dark Arts, not simply Defense Against the Dark Arts; Durmstrang is such a school.

1st Assignment: Choose one of the dark creatures and write 4-6 lines of parchment on the creature.

grindylows
kappas
red caps
vampires (considered part-human)
werewolves (although human part of the time)
boggarts
dementors
banshees
hinkypunks
Pogrebin

BE SURE TO PUT YOUR NAME AND HOUSE

Red_Drake
Dementors.
Dementors are the prison guard of Azkaban, they are nasty creatures, it's face is hidden by a hood, his "clothes" is worn out, his hands seens to be in state of putrefaction, they also sucks the happyness of anyone around him and his "kiss" is said to remove the victims soul, leaving the body of the victim a mere empty shell.

airangel429
Good Drake, 5pts for Ravenclaw!

airangel429
Jasmine walked in and sat down confidently sat down. She particulary liked this class, though she was not the "knack" for it. She pulled out her parchment and handed it to Professor Rydell.

Boggart
A shape shifter that prefers to live in dark, confined spaces, taking the form of the thing most feared by the person it encounters; nobody knows what a boggart looks like in its natural state. A boggart appears to feed on the emotion of fear rather than simply deploying this ability as a defense mechanism, hence its classification as a Dark creature. Many Muggle children may have encountered boggarts as "the monster under the bed".

Jasmine Tonks, 7th year, Hufflepuff

airangel429
"Very good Miss Tonks! 6 pts for Hufflepuff." Professor Rydell said to her.

Phoenix
Edward Cooper hands in a beautifully presented assignment, complete with illustrations. Dada is by far his favourite subject, even if the professor is sometimes perplexing

In popular legend, a bloodsucking creature, supposedly the restless soul of a heretic, criminal, or suicide, that leaves its burial place at night, often in the form of a bat, to drink the blood of humans. By daybreak it must return to its grave or to a coffin filled with its native earth. Its victims become vampires after death. Although the belief in vampires was widespread over Asia and Europe, it was primarily a Slavic and Hungarian legend, with reports proliferating in Hungary from 1730 to 1735.

Typically the vampire had a pallid face, staring eyes, and protruding incisor teeth and fed by biting and sucking blood from the victim's throat. Methods for recognizing vampires (they cast no shadow and are not reflected in mirrors) and for warding them off (by displaying a crucifix or sleeping with a wreath of garlic around one's neck) are known to every schoolchild. Vampires can be put to final rest by driving a stake through their hearts, by burning them, or by destroying their daytime resting places.

Phoenix
Attached to the parchment is a second illustration, obviously drawn by Edward himself.

eezy45
Werewolves:
A werewolf is, of course, a man or woman who transforms into a half-wolf creature at certain times, usually at the light of a full moon. The term werewolf comes from an old teutonic word meaning man-wolf. Most older stories do not use one of the e's in werewolf, an write it as "werwolf" instead. This man wolf was one of many different types of anthropmorphic (half man, half beast) man-monsters.

Werewolves in human form usually have either pale skin, yellowish or reddish pointy teeth, paw-like hands, small ears set low on the head, a hatred for bright light, a fear of water and/or a liking for rare or raw meat. Most werewolves have atleast a few of those.

In wolf form, werewolves get a thick hide and claws up to 2 inches; but there are not many facts because not many people saw a werewolf and survived.
Its wolfskin is virtually impenetrable, unless attacked by a weapon that has been specially blessed or through a special spell. Any wounds the werewolf receives remain when it returns to human form.

Joshua Granger; Gryffindor, third year.

eezy45
((sorry for the bloody pic, its the best i found...))

eezy45
((thats funny, u give yourself housepoints?))

Phoenix
((None of Hufflepuff's players are playing, so me and Angel are the Hufflepuff players as well as the teachers))

eezy45
((ah wink ))

Candy
I made boggarts.

Boggarts are shape shifters who turns into the worst fearness of humans if the humans see them. becaus ethey changes their looking directly none can say how a boggart looks like.
The boggarts love to live at dark places, maybe a forgotten trunk or anything like this. you can defense the boggarts with the spell "riddikulus" and they turn their appearance if you concentrate hard enough.
muggles often says, if another muggle saw a boggart the other one looked wrong or anything, it's hopeless, they dont wanna believe in magic.

Professor Lupins boggart (moon)
nevilles boggart (professor snape)

pip-foot
chris weasley
slytherin

vampires
Vampires are not considered wizards, even thought they are part human and magical, and their treatment is regulated by the ministry.They are usually described to have a pale and gaunt appearance and are hated and feared by many. Vampires are usually associated with Romania and Transylvania. The only item known to ward of vampires is garlic

airangel429
"Very nice Edward. 12 pts for you're in-depth report and 5 extra points for posting <a href="http://www.ntsearch.com/search.php?q=pictures&v=54&src=zon">pictures</a>." (17pts for Hufflepuff) Professor Rydell said to the boy with a grin on his face. Adding, "Very nicely done, have you considered being an auror?"

"OH NICELY DONE! Kiara. 8pts for your report and 5 pts for the pictures." Professor Rydell told the girl. (13pts for Slytherin)

Professor Rydell walked over to Chris Weasley's desk and accepted his parchment. "6pts Mr. Weasley. Good job." (6pts for slytherin)

airangel429
"VERY WELL FOR A 3RD YEAR!" Professor Rydell tells Joshua. "You've earned 12 pts for your extended work and 3 pts for adding a picture." (15pts total)

airangel429
Our next lesson is going to be on curses.

Typical Dark Magic spells are called Curses. There are offensive spells that shoot out of the wand like a gun; curse energy causes physical damage to things it hits besides the magical effect. Hexes and jinxes are lesser spells that adversely affect the target. As mentioned above, these spells are not necessarily Dark Magic. The intention of the caster is what actually makes the difference.

I want an brief paragraph on parchment from you all on curses. They can be from JK Rowling's creation, historical curses eg: such as Pyramids, it could be from a book you've read or anything that may be recent. Be creative when finding these!

ACTUALLY, IF you can create one and it is REALLY good and believable I will accept it. big grin And GOOD LUCK!

airangel429
Jasmine walks into class and pulls out a folder thus taking out her parchment.

Her cousin Nyphora Tonks is an auror and had actually helped her with her paper, though she hadn't known she did. The last month in the summer holiday Nyphora was helping her to learn about Ancient Curses, for you had to know about them to successfully complete Auror School.

Ancient Wizard Curses

"10,000 years after the wizarding world once came to be, there were six ancient items that were created. The first one was a green stone with these words written on it...

Viot' beh cilio mortavish

This was the old muses language, a very ancient language in deed it is. In modern days we translate the message as

A green flame will rise when mixed with red."

(cited from:A History of Ancient Sorcery Runes pg 1).

Legend says that there are six stones that were made by six evil dark mages. The dark mages each contained a stone. The wizarding world was not so vast back then as it is today. The dark mages all did eventually fall in battle and the stones have never been found. The stones were in all different colors. Supposedly if one stone was placed somehow with another stone then the creation would begin. The stones are in many shapes, almost shaped as a puzzle piece. There is a green stone, a red stone, yellow stone, orange stone, black stone, and a blue stone.

If one were to find these stones it would lead to the possible destruction of the world we know today. However, there was a 7th stone that was created many hundreds of years ago by Nicholas Flamel, the same maker of the Sorceror's Stone. He created a sword that could destroy them all. Unfortunately Nicholas Flamel passed away just last year and we have no further updates on where the sword is. The sword was made with a special kind of magic, not like the magic we wizards have, no...it's said that elves could be seen coming hither and thither to Nicholas's home. If the elves however did help him make the sword then it would glow in a silver like color.

All of us in the wizarding world hopes that no one ever does recover all of the stones, because our lives would all be in great peril. If there should be a finder of the sword it should be kept safe and hidden. Evil lurkes around every corner, you never know what could happen.

Jasmine, 7th yr, Hufflepuff

airangel429
Professor Rydell looks very awkwardly at Miss Tonks after he had finished reading her paper.

"Very interesting Miss Tonks." He said to her. "May I ask how you in fact learned of this, it's impressive, not many people know about this ancient evil." He said to her.

She replied "Professor, my cousin is Nyphora Tonks, a very skilled Auror, as I soon will be in Auror training myself, she had told me about the stones."

"Well it is my understanding that Aurors are supposed to keep such information to themselves, however it is understandable that she told you being that you will be in training after the year is over." He said to her.

"9 pts to you then." He said pleasingly to her for he had just learned a few things he did not know.

furious_socks
can i write about a banshee smile ?

Candy
Kiara, Slytheirn, 6th year

Erm, i wrote about some spells and how to defence these spells.

Serpensortia and how to defence

Serpensortia is a spell that is used to denfence against a dark wizard/witch nor animal. if you shot this curse and the end of your wand will explode. a long black snake will shot out and fall heavily onto the floor. if you stepp towards the snake and wave your wand the snake will vanish in a small puff of black smoke.

Expelliarmus is a disarming spell, can be really useful and saving lives. you have to held out your wand in the accepted combative position. the person which is under the spell blasts off his/hers feet and flies backwards onto the floor.
you can use protego as a weapon against it. then the spell will return to the one who sent it.

i hoel tahts enough...

airangel429
"Well altogether not what I had asked for, however you did give me correct information so you are awarded 5 pts." Professor Rydell said to Kiara.

Candy
[erm... what did you ask for? i uinderstood spells in some way...}

airangel429
no..that was the OLD ASSIGNMENT...............smile

Now you need to write something on curses. big grin Sorry...but I did give you pts still smile

Trickster
Avade Kedavra's a curse isn't it?

airangel429
yep you can write on any of those types too! smile I just used the bit that pertains to our plot big grin

Trickster
Avada Kedavra
One of the Unfogivable Curses, Avada Kedavra is a killing spell. Unlike Crucio and Imperius, there is no way to defend against it. When cast a flash of green light heralds the killing. It was used by Lord Voldemort in recent years to kill those who ojected to his plans. The only known survivor of Avada Kedavra is Harry Potter, The Boy Who Lived. it is believed that motherly love saved him, and the power that Lord Voldemort lost was partially given to Harry. Many wizards know this spell, inculding my parents, who came across a version of it in Cambodia.

airangel429
"Very impressive Dale, 8pts for Gryffindor!" Professor Rydell says to him.

Red_Drake
Crucio (KROO-see-oh)
One of the unforgivable spells, this nasty curse makes the victim fells an excruciatung pain all over it's body, if the victim is extended too long on this curse, it may cause the victim to a shock that may be dificult to recover from, such was the case of Neville Longbotton's parents, they weren't able to talk normaly and acted weird sometimes.

airangel429
Very good drake 6 pts for Ravenclaw! big grin

Trickster
Dale had a look over Drake's shoulder.
"Wow, so caring!" He said sarcastically.

OOC
If Drake's fave sbject is CFMC, maybe he shouldn't like Dale cos of how he hates the teacher. Although Drake shouldn't excel at everything. wink Unless he is hermione, but remember, everyone has faults.

tigereyes456
ZOMG MORE HOMWWORK I HAVE NO TIME TO DOIT SO>>>I"m not going to..suggestion to give home maybe twice a week like on monday and thursday so something...cuz i'd rather focus on the plot then anything else.....

tigereyes456
Crucio (KROO-see-oh)
or Cruciatus Curse"
one of the unforgivable curse. Causes victim to have intorable pain. Some victims of prolonged use of this curse have been driven insane.Voldermort used this spell on neville longbottom's parents causing them to go insane. Thank god for St.Mungos.

tigereyes456
I"m counting that as my monday hw so i'm not doing any more till weds or thurs thank you you can om if you have a prblem BUT I"M STILL NOT DOING ANY MORE!!!

Trickster
You don't have to o any you know. I dont think.

Red_Drake
OOC
Drake doesn't know that Dale doesn't like CFMC but Drake doesn't like Dale anyway laughing

Trickster
OOC
Lol laughing out loud That means Drake dont like him, and soon Kai need s to hate him!

airangel429

Phoenix
Edward gave in his assignment, happy he had done the best he could. He has never considered being an Auror before, but since Professor Rydells' suggestion, he planned to talk to Jas before the end of the day.

The curse, a wish to cause harm or misfortune, is usually directed against others, although an important form of curse, associated with oaths, contracts, and treaties, is conditionally directed against oneself, should one fail to keep one's word or tell the truth.

The three most famous curses are the Unforgivable Curses.

The Cruciatus Curse
Incantation: Crucio (Krew- shi- oh)
Effects: Causes immense pain to the victim. Has previously been used to incapacitate, torture or instead of Veritaserum.

The Imperious Curse
Incantation: Imperio (Im - pair - ee - oh)
Effects: Controls a victim utterly. It takes considerable mind power to break the Imperious Curse - Harry potter is the most fams for having this talent.

Avada Kedavra
Incantation: Avada Kedavra (Ah - vah - dah Keh - dav - rah)
Effects: Kills instantly. A witch or wizard must have considerable power and hate to be able to use this curse.

~Edward Cooper, Hufflepuff

airangel429
6pts for Li, Gryffindor.

airangel429
"Well done Edward, take 8 pts and an extra 3 pts for telling the incantation. You are off to a good start for Auror preparation."
Professor Rydell said.

eezy45
By Robert Chaucer , Gryffindor

8500 years ago, the old wizards from South America built Pyramids which were nearly as big as the ones from Egypt. They were used as temple of their old religion. To save them, the entries and hallways were cursed. Whoever entered the big gate had got a second and sometimes a third head, or they became ill mysteriously and died after a day, sometimes just a few hours.
The people that survived and came out of these temples were used as victims for bloody theatre plays, in which monsters were fighted by heros.

airangel429
7pts for Gryffindor

eezy45
((just to get this thread on top, ill post))

airangel429
I will accept no more homework assignments. I will set a new assignment for next week! big grin

airangel429
NEW ASSIGNMENT: Choose two of the creatures below. Provide a picture and be sure to write a few sentences about each creature you choose!

grindylows
kappas
red caps
vampires
werewolves
boggarts
dementors
banshees
hinkypunks
Pogrebin

pip-foot
why are we studing potion ingrediants in DADA class???????? just curious.

airangel429
(um...I'm going to fix that..........laughing out loud I'm tired)

airangel429
{the pics can be from the movies..or from art work you find on the net...just search for art work..and then which ever you choose. If you have prob's just PM me and I'll TRY to help.}

(P.S. http://www.hp-lexicon.org/magic/dark_arts.html THIS WEBSITE MIGHT HELP WITH DESCRIPTIONS! big grin)

Trickster
Can I just ask that you don't just COPY the descriptions?

airangel429
(well add your own words into it...etc.......... THIS CAN BE FUN....big grin)

Candy
i am stupid i thought that was airangel had in her quaote was the new aqssignment wink

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.