Silmarillion

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

mah
Has anyone read Tolkiens book 'The Silmarillion'? It's about the start of everything, and there's alot of information about characters who are in/or are talked about - in LOTR, and about the creation of Middle-earth.
a bit hard to get into at the start, but it's a fantastic book!

Ushgarak
Yes I have. But I cannot in good conscience recommend it for general reading. Only if you are a big fan.

mah
very true

finti
at least one of my fav group took its name from that novel
Marillion

"So here I am once more in the playground of the broken hearts,
One more experience, one more entry in a diary, self penned
Yet another emotional suicide overdosed on sentiment and pride
Too late to say I love you, Too late to restage the play
Abandoning the relics in my playground of yesterday."

Machine
i just bought this book and im felling in love with lord of the rings even more .

mah
now I'm reading 'history of middle-earth', which are also very fascinating books. but as with silmarillion; people who are not especially interested in middle-earth need not apply.

Dexx
i'll soon start to read silmarillion too, but i don't have the book. I just have a word text....it'll have to do. And, i presume it involves a lot of names, and dates (years)...stories, stuff like that.....wich make no sense to normal ppl....(i've been told) laughing out loud
P.S.: This is part of my campaign in digging the forums evil face
To be continued...

Captain REX
I got the book, but I'll save it for summer. If I feel like it anyway. stick out tongue

I read the first page and then I gave up because I felt like I was trying to read a book about colledge algrebra. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Palanfirith
I don't have the book eighter sad .But I hope that I will buy it in the summer with the history of Middle-Earth big grin

Dexx
I'm sure i'll love it. Even though i'll have to read it twice to get somethin'. But i'll start to read it when i get in that certain Tolkien moode to read. The timing must be precise

Palanfirith
indeed u're right.

mah
silmarillion starts off pretty heavy, but gets more and more interesting. I've read it a couple of times, but now I'm digging through new books of The History of Middle-Earth, and I'm telling you, it's HEAVY; REAL HEAVY stuff. I still find it interesting, but you have to have great interest in Middle-earth to get ANYTHING out of it. juxtapose it with silmarillion and you'll find silmarillion light.

Dexx
i'll get to that soon enough

Captain REX
I think I'll wait awhile before I read Silmarillion.

Dexx
i'll finish the hobbit in a few days...then i'll read it

FINGOLFIN
I loved it!!!!!

It was great to read Tolkiens version of the creation of Middle-Earth. And Wow!!!!...was Melkor evil or what!!!???

I own a copy of the Silmarillion (one of 500 made) signed by Christopher Tolkien and Ted Nasmith...best book I ever bought!

The tale of Beren and Luthien was excellent. The best part of the Silmarillion was reading the origin of all those elvish references in LOTR. Once I read the Silm..I had a new appreciation and understanding of the elvish-lore.

mah
yup, it's if one's deeply interested in middle-earth it's a must

Dexx
hmm...i never had the time to start it. I don't have it as a book...jus as a document, here on the pc. I think i'd preffer the book.....
maybe it's cause i'm readin' somethin' else now.
I'm planning on reading it....from what i hear it's one good book.

FINGOLFIN
I am going to blow my own horn here...sorry...

I have free links to various versions of the book on my website...just FYI...NO BIG DEAL

big grin

mah
we've heard about that before, so please no more spamming, eh?

jedi fernando

mah
of course it's not the same story, no one claimed so, but it's in the same world, and with some connections.

glad you like it though, you certainly should read LOTR now that you've read it.

Ushgarak
I am happy you liked it, Fernando, but I maintain that for most casual readers the Silmarillion is not a good idea.

glorfindel
truly nobody can enjoy the lotr books without understanding the deeper history of the tales that only become apparant from reading SILMARILION.

Dexx
yeah, perhaps...too late now i read 'em

glorfindel
THE lotr IS JUST THE END OF THE TALE.if u think lotr is ok please read the sil. it,s deeper confused

Dexx
i know what it's about. It's just that i only have it as a pc doc, i don't have the book. And it's exhausting to read a book on the PC

FINGOLFIN
I think I forgot to invite you to my website video screening of Passage to Middle Earth...I mean't to....sorry!

Send me an E-mail or PM so I can invite you to the next screening..if you want....

big grin

Dexx
i PMed u.

Manôkhâu
Bump.
evil face

Smodden
THe silmarillion is the best book I ever read.

Manôkhâu
angel

fini
well it aint the best book i've read. BUT MAN it was intense. SO much stuff, so many names............................egyad Tolkien had some wicked imagination.

Manôkhâu
stick out tongue
Yes he did....

Thorondor KoC
Well, the history of Arda is the best story there is in this world I think, and the Silmarillion is more interesting than the other books. I recommend everybody to read it, even if you aren't a real fan, you'll be one soon!

Bar-en-Danwedh
my favorite book of all time!!!

first 30 pages is like downloading quiocktime or something, once you've done that you can understand the rest...

Exabyte
laughing good comparison...

I think it's quite important to be concentrated and have time when reading it reading and to have patience...

That's why some critics called it "elvish telephone directory" stick out tongue

I love all the names... that's basically what first made me admire the book so much

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.