Chronicals of Narnia Vs. LOTR

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Smodden
which one did u like beter? Has anyone read Chonicals of Narnia

i loved 'em you can kinda see some likeness between the 2. C.S. lewis and Tolkien were friends

sauron
i like tolkien better mind, is lion witch and the wardrobe a chronicle of narnia, it is isnt it? well i didnt like that too much

Smodden
i like tolkien beter too BUT u should give narnia a chance...and yes lion witch and wardrobe is book 1 of 7 voyage of the dawn treader was good.

the dufflepuds make happy

lol that always cracks me up...

Exa
I only read some pages (and I really liked that);

This question is interested indeed as Lewis and Tolkien also made writing competitions (Tolkien for example wrote the Lost Road for that)

But LoTR will always be better big grin

Kitoky
When I read the first Narnia book I just fell asleep like that, honestly, It was really slow and then that's when it picks up. So at times, it can be slow, I prefer LotR

Smodden
has anyone read any of the other books BESIDES TLTWATW? Book 1 is trash compared to the other ones.

Kitoky
TLTWATW? Damn those are long intitials. I have read most of them, and they're still a bit slow at times.

Smodden
lol lets compare:

tlotrtfotr=The Lord of the Rings the Fellowship of the Ring
tltwatw=The lion the witch and the wardrobe

hmmmm...

don't get me wrong lotr is faaaaaaar beter than tltwatw but it has longer initials.

Kitoky
O.o Well.....I just call it FotR....but okaaaaaaaaay.....

jjoutlaw3
ok i liked them both but i thot LOR was more of an "older" book. the CoN is more for younger kids - you can tell cause nobody dies and the people who get hurt get healed right away and every things nice. except the last one. the last battle. i loved that one. cause they do die. i knew it too right from the beginning and it made me want to read more. you can definetely see the resemblance between LOR and CON. they're similar in certain ways. LOR is better tho. much more beautiful and eloquent

Ring Bearer
I read SOME of the chronicals, and I love it so far. I also love Tolkien. I feel that Tolkien and C.S.Lewis are two very different authors who are unique in their own right and that it is not fair that we should compare them and determine whom is the better author. Instead praise their similarity that makes us feel at ease when we read books.

Sifer
They are 2 authors who wanted to create their own world because no-one else had done it. They both did it - although Tolkien's work is much more in-depth and my favourite big grin

Member.
yup.

Suzuka
I agree...I've read the Naria books about 3 times (well, they were read to me when i was like 4 stick out tongue) and they are a definate allagory to the Bible, which is why I like them...though LoTR is more in deapth, and I like it better....though C.S. Lewis is an awsome writer too smile

nazgulinthedark
narnia was easier to understand

Smodden
yeah the lion was supposed to be Jesus.

has anyone seen the movie CoN?

theyre terible!

Kitoky
Narnia's easier to read and everything, but it was dead BORING!

Ariadne
I've read all the Narnia books (and the Magician's Nephew is actually supposed to be first even though they were all written out of order). Narnia's definitely easier to read and understand than LotR and everything, but they're really good for kids who aren't quite old enough for LotR. They're not as interesting now as they were when I was younger, but I still like them even though they'll never compare to LotR. Narnia and LotR can't really be compared though, because they're for different audiences.

Smodden
yeah my brother thinks lotr books are dull at times but i prefer lotr.

enya
ive seen the 'the lion the witch......' film and i agree with you smodden they are terrible, which some 'scary' lady falls of some cliff cos of some roar or something it just cracks me up.

the chronicles are for much a younger target audience so they are not as good as lotrs but there still good

azszhz
me and my friend have spent many a long hour arguing about which is better and i don't care what anybody says
the Lotr is much better

but the Chronicals of Narnia are pretty good too

Smodden
totaly agree

enya
this is a LOTR forum so we are all slightly biased. if there was a chronicles forum they would probably all say that they were betta than LOTR

Ushgarak
Obviously as a Tolkien fan myself (though Lewis was a better author) I prefer LOTR, but I feel bound to point out that Tolkien created his world and his stories and that was it, nice as they were, whereas everything Lewis wrote was always quite deep and intellectual, with something beyond the story.

For example, it is all very well saying 'Aslan is Jesus' but it;s not as if he designed it to leap out the page at you. Needless to say, no dramatisation or filming of his work ever caiught any of it, hence such films and programmes do his work a disservice, unlike LOTR.

And 'The Screwtape Letters' is one of the best darn books ever...

Melkor
I like them both cept LOTR is about Language and CoN is based completely on the Bible. LOTR is deeper, though

enya
much deeper

Smodden
AHH the Screwtape Letters! i loved that book its great.

Bar-en-Danwedh
actually 'the lion, the witch, and the wardrobe' is book 2. ('the magicians nephew' was book1).

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.