the BEGINNING of EpIII

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

bigsef2
As we have it right now, TPM and AOTC both follow the path of a typical "summer blockbuster" movie. The same path followed by ANH and ROTJ. Theres a minor scuffle at the beginning to set the stage for the movie, and the movie progresses towards a big climatic battle at the end.

ESB, which is my favorite Star Wars movie, did the exact opposite. It set the stage for the movie with about 20 minutes of slow stuff, and then exploded into a HUGE battlescene, which set the stage for the events to follow later in the movie. the movie ended with a climatic character-oriented battle, that wasnt a special effects all out battlescene extrveganza. and its my favorite star wars movie. It also ended with a big cliffhanger.

My HOPE is that EPIII will follow the same formula. I would hope all three prequel movies didnt follow the staple hollywood summer blockbuster formula. I think it would be great if GL did the same thing for EPIII. Have the big battle scene in the beginning, and the rest of the movie be character driven. no huge battle at the end of the movie. just a duel between master and apprentice and a "cliffhanger" as to what will happen in EPIV.

Aquarius87
Wow,i totally agree.
Episode 3 i think will be spectacular..in every aspect..like the turn of anakin..and the birth of luke and leia,in my opinion its gonna have to be the best of the trilogy,because its like the turning point,in the middle,you know what i mean. smile

Gandalf
eek! Are you saying you didn't like the other films? Blasphemy!

Also, how do you know AOTC will start with a scuffle? How could it start with a scuffle? The apprentice of the dark side is as of yet unkown, and Lucas wouldn't dare unmask him in the opening scenes, nor will Palpatine do anything due to his new status. I kind of picture Obi-wan training Anakin somewhere.

yerssot
I always hoped that EpIII would end with Anakin falling in the lava and you see someone pulling him out (this way the shock in ESB would still be there)

Gandalf
This topic isn't about the beginnings of the film's...

Episode III should have something about their children, or at least a heightening of Padme and Anakin's relationship, IF it's not already on the downfall.

bigsef2
first, AOTC, does open with a minor scuffle. There is an assassination attempt on padme amidala.

actually, the topic i started IS about the opening of the films: My idea that EPIII, will start big, and get smaller and more personalized at the end, the way ESB did. I am interested in a discussion about with what we know happens at the end of AOTC, with the clones boarding ships, readying for an all out war, what kind of huge battlescene people think we could see at the opening of EPIII.

yerssot
I'm writing EpIII at the moment (well, the things that need to happen, and what I think will happen) and I have to say, there are no cliffhangers ... well... I made it so that the shock will come in EpV (twice: father and who he is)

bigsef2
when i say cliffhanger, i mainly mean something along the lines of at the end of ESB, where han's fate is left in the open, and luke has heard that darth vader is his father, but we dont have conclusive evidence.

I still have my doubts that we will know that darth vader=anakin skywalker in EPIII, but that aside, I think we could have a cliffhanger along the lines of, "is anakin REALLY going to turn to the dark side" and more probably, just a bad scenario of events for the main characters. Its going to end with the bad guys in power and the good guys in deep sh!t. that in of itself, is a cliffhanger

Gandalf
Spelling error. I meant to say this post isn't about the endings of this movie. embarrasment sad

yerssot
Really big, you can alter it that you don't know that he becomes Vader...
you should read it big grin

bigsef2
YESS!!!! i argued till my head exploded that GL could easily do EPIII so that we wouldnt know he turned into Vader until EPV. and you guys all told me i was stupid and critized me to no end!

whats youre theory, yess?

yerssot
don't have a theory, but if you make the fight at the end (like a last struggle to get him back) and Anakin falls, Ob1 leaves in sadness for Padme, to pick up Luke (Yoda is there and tells him that he will leave to Dagobah)... when he is gone you see an arm grabbing someone out of the lava...

Then you THINK it's Anakin and then suddenly the mainvillan in the OT tells someone he is Anakin, the one you thought was dead...

bigsef2
ok, how about this. im not going to offer any explainations, because then i would be typing for hours, but suffice to say, if GL wants to keep the anakin thing a secret, this is how i see him doing it....(along with how i think the beginning of the movie should open)

Ok, first of all, reguardless of whether we find out anakin is vader, padme cannot have the twins in EPIII. The movie will end with her being very much pregnant and anakin not knowing about it. Padme will become pregnant between EpII and EPIII.

At the beginning of EPIII, Obiwan will be in his fighter on some important mission being chased by ALOT of enemy fighter ships. He will land his fighter on a planet, probably Alderaan (since hes working for bail organa. The fighters will disengage and before long a whole fleet of ships will appear and send landing craft towards the planet (ala Hoth in ESB) A big fight will ensue, between the clones and whoever and the good guys will get their @$$es kicked.

Obiwan will go to tatooine seeking Anakin's help, who left the jedi order after EPII to live a quiet life on tatooine with padme. Against owens will, Anakin will follow Obiwan on a damn-fool idealistic crusade - that being to reunify the republic and deal with dooku. Anakin leaves padme, not knowing she is pregnant. Somewhere along the line, Anakin and Obiwan confront Dooku and find out that Palpatine has been behind everything from the beginning. Palpatine convinces Anakin that what he is doing is the only way to bring order to the galaxy, and that he will free the slaves, etc. He also will tell him that Obiwan HAS been holding him back, and keeping him from reaching his potential. Obiwan and Anakin battle it out, and it is left with the audience thinking Anakin Skywalker is killed. The movie ends with the children unborn, so that we only beleive there to be one child, and that that child will one day be born and offer the galaxy hope.

The only major problem with any theory reguarding the Anakin Skywalker=Darth Vader not being revealed until EPV, is this line from ANH: "when we last met, i was but the learner...now I am the master."

yerssot
ok...
Anakin does know she is pregnant, otherwhise he can't know that Luke is his son (could be his nephew otherwhise)
But I agree that she will become pregnant between EpII and III.
I think the Clones will get a new name, the stormtroopers...

Anakin won't life on Tatooine, he is still with the Jedi order normally...

Hmm, if you see two children you still don't know that Leia is his sister

Aquarius87
..how cute would it be,seeing these two mini versions of luke and leia!

bigsef2
in the script for ROTJ, obiwan tells luke: "when your father left, he didnt know your mother was pregnant." in the script, the whole speech obiwan gave luke on dagobah after yoda died was ALOT longer than what we see in the movie, but GL cut it out so we wouldnt get bored. While technically, this statement isnt cannon, it WAS GLs idea, and he probably hasnt changed that aspect of the story since filming ROTJ.

yerssot
I don't know, I think he will change it, otherwhise there would seemingly be a HUGE gap between EpIII and ANH

bigsef2
there should be a huge gap. theres over 20 years between the movies!

yerssot
there is also 10 years between TPM and AOTC, but you don't see that clearly

bigsef2
exactly. we dont see obiwan train anakin like yoda trained luke. its simply not important to the story. likewise, its not important to the story to actually see luke and leia born. it actually works out alot better for EPIII to end with padme still pregnant. thats the only way to keep leia a surprise until ROTJ

LanceWindu
I completely agree with you bigsef2.

yerssot
If you see the birth of two babies with no indication at all, it will still be a surprise... ok, you can show Luke being brought to Tatooine, (with a stop at Dagobah perhaps?) so you know ONE skywalker lifes in the OT, but it would all be a big surprise

bigsef2
if padmes PREGNANT in EPIII, it wont be a surprise. and we have no reason to beleive that GL will show luke taken to dagobah, thats entirely speculation, and theres no need to show obiwan taking him to tatooine at the end of EPIII. theres simply no reason to show it. Based solely on what we know from the OT, we know exactly what happens. At the beginning of ANH, we will see luke and realize hes padme and anakins kid. Well wonder how he got to tatooine and well find out later on in the movies. Theres no reason to show any of it.

darthyogi
Sort of related, but I heard Lucas was going to end Ep III with the original opening of ANH - the bit with Luke and his friends around Ankorhead, and Biggs leaving and so on.

I know time dilation isn't a device that Lucas has used before in Star Wars, but a segue from a dying Anakin to a youthful Luke would be kind of cool. More likely to stick the cut senes on the ANH DVD, though, if you ask me.

The reason I mention it is that it's a rumour I've come across several times and - if it's true - it means Lucas is planning on leaving no doubt about Luke's parentage.

And a Happy New Year one and all! smile

yerssot
"I don't know but there is something familiar about this place"
this couls indicate that Luke visited Dagobah a while ago and perhaps as a baby...

And I stick to my point (boy are we stuborn today) that GL can get a script where we don't know that Anakin is DV!!!

bigsef2
I agree with Yess that it is possible, and it its also how i would personally like to see the films, as one big movie where we dont know anakin is darth vader. At the same time, It could all be a matter of us knowing something the hero (luke) doesnt and simply watching him find out in ESB. That is a classic storytelling method.

Aside from that, I wonder how GL could do EPIII without giving away that anakin is vader. the movie, itself, would be fine. But would we wonder then, why the focus of EPIV shifted to Luke, and not his father, Anakin. (We will obviously know anakin is lukes father, just not that anakin=vader)

And also, these movies are supposedly about Anakin skywalker and his redemption through his son. That theme loses ALOT of its power if right in the middle of the saga (EPIV and most of EPV) we dont know that Vader is Anakin and Lukes father. I suppose it could be done if we simply thought Anakin had died in the molten pit, AFTER he had already done horrendous things. Then Lukes actions in ANH and ESB could be seen as redeeming what his father did. Still, although i would LOVE to see GL do EPIII so that we dont know Anakin=Vader, I honestly don't think he will do it that way.

yerssot
True, and about the pregnantcy thing...
It's possible that Padme gets pregnant just before Anakin leaves for his mission
(I think the mission is about the Kaiburr Crystal, what do you think?)

bigsef2
Youre talking about the one in "the splinter of the minds eye?"

yerssot
I talk about who?

bigsef2
the crystal? I was asking if you were talking about the crystal from the book, "splinter of the minds eye." Its the first EU book and was written in the 80s, and takes place b/w EPIV AND EPV. I really dont think the quest in EPIII has to do with a crystal. It seems too late in the saga to create some comepletely new aspect to the star wars universe. On top of that, I think the idea of a powerful force crystal is just a little to mystical for GL.

yerssot
I took the Crystal thing because it was in the first 2-3 drafts of ANH, and I belief that in the 4th draft it was in Vaders lightsabre...

It's, I think, the most repeated thing in the drafts that hadn't made it in the movie.
And you know that GL likes to recycle stuff ... (take Mace Windu as an example)

bigsef2
im fairly certain the crusade is simply the reunification of the republic

yerssot
and that crystal had as myth that it could purify evil (making the galaxy one again)

Ushgarak
Blimey, not that bloody crystal... that is about as likely to happen now as Had Abaddon is.

yerssot
Well, that crystal came in it a long time ago and stayed there for very long

bigsef2
it can go away just as quickly. as a respected forum member, id be careful about talking so much about force crystals and crap like that. it might actually add weight to the idea and get impressionable people to beleive the foolish ideas as well. :-)

yerssot
nothing is foolish, there are only foolish answers

Well, if it's not the crysytal what will it be then?

Ushgarak
What will what be? Sorry, but this whole thread has become rather obscure.

yerssot
we only need to dim the lights and light up some candles smile

Ush, if it's not the crystal that will be the story, what will it be then?
(perhaps the same as in EpII?)

bigsef2
I beleive we were discussing the crusade Obiwan and Anakin fight in in EPIII. I beleive it will be an effort to reunify the republic

yerssot
wich crusade? against who?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.