Freedom of Opinions???

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

ash007
Do older and more experienced people belittle the opinions and thoughts of "younger people" (such as ages from teens-29)???

Fire
some do some dont

SilverFighter
No not really but if younger ppl don't have a good argument in an opinion and thoughts then we don't pay attention to them wink

Fire
lol you should correct them and tell them why their argument is not good

SilverFighter
Nah! let their teachers correct them......I mean thats why they get pay for wink

Darth Revan
Yeah they do!!! My mom was tellin me this story about how when she was in high school, her brother Sherwood tried to correct a chemistry teacher when he was wrong about something. My uncle was right, and the teacher knew it cos it was pretty obvious but he didn't like being wrong so he kicked him out. Oh and another thing. WHY CAN'T PEOPLE UNDER 18 VOTE?!!! WE WOULDN'T HAVE THIS IDIOT FOR PRESIDENT IF EVERYBODY IN MY GENERATION HAD BEEN ALLOWED TO VOTE!!!!!

Lord Soth
Unfortunately yes. Younger people often have more insight to the world than the current ruling generation, due mostly to fear and prejudice. It's times like this, with Gulf War II and George Bush that make me ashamed to be an American.

Darth Revan
I agree completely--this is the first time in my life when I could honestly say that I'd rather be Canadian than American. I'm glad I live in this little hippie town I wouldn't want to live anywhere else in the US right now.
Plus this whole "No Child Left Behind" thing is a load of crap!! Did you know that resource (err... special) kids and kids who just moved here and don't know English have to pass the same tests as all the others?

Lord Soth
You'd be hard-pressed to find any sympathy in America. You either with us or we invade, that's the American standpoint

older people always think they're wiser...doesn't make it truth

finti
older people are in most cases wiser due to experience

Fire
finti is right 113

cermiestar
the old believe everything, the middle aged suspect everything and the young know everything big grin

i got told by the RS department at my school that my OPINIONS were wrong and i backed up my arguments with evidence, but just becausemy evidence was based on science and not religion i was wrong and0 for my essay ..... now that's discriminatory....though that may not be to do with my age......*thinks*

yerssot
it's about them having an other mentality,

we base everything on science they on ...er ... well, a creature they believe in that no one ever saw and still has no proof it ever existed messed

cermiestar
so religion's theory is more valid? stick out tongue

yerssot
according to them...yes
accorrding to the majority of the world these days... not by a long shot

cermiestar
*applauds*

Lord Soth
Experience is a factor in wisdom, but more important ones are insight, morality, and common sense (which isn't common)

zombieman
I think its more the case that educated people belittle stupid people, regardless of their age.

Darth Revan
There's a difference between "uneducated" or "ignorant" people and "stupid" people... Personally I find it to be the other way around very often... I have never in my life teased an uneducated or stupid person (well except for Bush...) because I'm "smarter" than them. I think people tend to dislike individuals who aren't afraid to show that they're smart. Take Al Gore for example. He is quite simply brilliant, yet America chose the idiot instead of him to be president. He is also humble, experienced with politics, and a good leader in general. Bush is none of the above.

Lord Soth
The way you put that, it makes me sick to be an American again....

BackFire
Age has very little to do with the credibility of one's opinion too me.

realworlddreams
well, in terms of freedom of opinons, it depends on who u give opinions too.
my sexist english teacher doesnt like my opinions because they go against his ideas, n im not a pretty ****...too bad, then i mite get listened to

but i dont think that the majority of people would ever give sumone the time of day to voice an opinion unless they've given a reason to be listened to, even if its superficial, like they're a celebrity.

o, n BTW, im Canadian livin in los angeles, so i guess im bein discriminated on too...lol

tptmanno1
LA??
or somewhere near there??
I live Reaaallly close to LA

I think, In general, Older people don't want to see the opinions of younger people as valid. I hardly ever try to make my opinions known anymore. Me, for example, I have VERY strong Libral (Sp?) views, but its near impossible to convey that well to members of my extended family even though they share the same views as me. Thats why I like this site, people on here are different. They look at what you write first and your age/experience later if not never.

realworlddreams
remember Stevenson Ranch, where the fires were? i saw flames from my window.

tptmanno1
Oh that sux!
I live in Long Beach,
farrrr away from all that!

realworlddreams
lol, but its long beach, um...
here, we dont talk much about long beach, lol...
i got no prob w/it tho.

Fire
still BF, I dont know mant wise 8 year olds, tho I do know some lil kids who are quite smart and have a good common sense, then they turn 14 and it disappears again

cermiestar
stick out tongue hinduism is a cool religion - they believe in reincarnation so little children can be valued as very wise if the have an old soul!

Fire
true, but do hindus remember everything about their past lives?

cermiestar
not a clue

Fire
I dont think so, anywayz if they dont it can't help em to be wise.

cermiestar
some say they do.....i didn't study for my rs exam sad

Fire
hehe

cermiestar
i still managed to write 6 pages! if i'd studied i would know......more about hinduism.....but it's a complete doss

Fire
hehe

kalantiaw
you cannot deny the wisdom experience brings... but some old people are just set in their ways, nothing to do with wisdom at all... they just grew up that way... plus, young people (me included) act on impulse and instinct, which as we all know (maybe not all), may or may not lead to a wrong choice... but we all make mistakes, and as time goes, these mistakes pile up... and believe it or not we gain wisdom... doesn't mean we won't make the same mistakes twice, it just means that we simply know...

Darth Revan
you have a good point... The part about how young people tend to act more on instinct. I personally think that intuition/instinct is a very important thing that a lot of people learn to block out. I think every animal, humans included, has an innate ability to sense what will happen in the future... I know it sounds crazy but in my experience intuition is very often correct.. Like I'll get the feeling that something bad is going to happen and then it does. For example one time I went to go ride my horse and I didn't really want to.. I felt like some accident or something was going to happen. So I got out to the barn and there's this girl, Sara getting her horse ready and she had the horse tied to the door of a stall. Something scared the horse and she panicked and leaned back on the door until the door came off the front of the stall and long story short ended up dragging it down the aisle of the barn and very nearly taking me with it. So there ya go...

Lord Soth
unfortunately, as we grow older, we learn to ignore it, even though it could solve a lot of problems in the world

Baylin
I personally like to hear other peoples views on things be them young or old. Because of this I've found that young people although sometimes naive can have refreshing ideas because they dont any better. By this I mean that they haven't necessarely learnt the way things should be and are therefore not stuck in their ways, this leads to open mindedness which in my opinion is only a good thing.

Lord Soth
This thread reminds me of a quote I once heard: Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill big grin

finti
talking out of experiece or just because you belive so

Fire
not everyone acts like that (whoever finti quoted)

Lord Soth
Finti quoted me. I believe that a combination of instinct, experience and common sense would make the world a better place.

And to answer Finti's question, I have no experience, I just read a lot into human nature

Dagons Blade
May I remind you that England controlled America at one time because we didn't agree with the King??? May I remind you that France tried to create another France in the colonies in Vietnam? May I remind you that Afghanistan was invaded by the Russians because they opposed the Russian presence? And may I remind you that England has held Ireland in it's grip for over 100 years? And Iraq invaded Kuwait as part of a 'brotherhood' deal that was just for notihng more than oil.

America's not the only country who ever wanted to eat someone else's lunch, OK?

And when you say stuff like you said above, you miss the whole point-Germay, France, Russia, they all disagred with us on the second Gulf War. Did we invade them? NO!

Again, this War is on a NETWORK of TERRORISTS that has hands, ears and eyes all over the globe, not the countries themselves. It's time the leaders of the other nations began to see this, and it's high time they stopped turning and twisting American foreign policies into the stuff THEY want to hear just because they're afraid of the backlash within their backyards...that's all I'm saying.

If people would read between the lines more,
maybe they'd understand what's really going on.

Trinity_Matrix
I think that everyone's opinions should count, regardless of their age. It's an opinion, and no one can tell you what to think, and even if you don't agree with what someone else thinks, you should at least be open-minded enough to hear them out.

I do agree that wisdom comes from experience, not necessarily from age.

I myself am a very opinionated person with very liberal views (and I'm so glad that I'm turning 18 in two weeks so I can vote for the next election...), and if I feel strongly about something, I will let my opinion be known. But I don't put down other people's opinions, and I don't allow my opinions to be put down.

The Omega
So that makes it ok?

Unless you look up a profile, you won't know the age of people around here. I don't see a "belittlement" based on age, but on ignorance or stupidity.
Age doesn't matter. I've met 18-year olds who make more sense than 40-year olds...
And vice versa.

yerssot
try not get carried away in discussion ok? and a quick thingie: no politics wink

by the waffle, I love reminding people of stuff big grin
Fire, remember: you owe me some beer stick out tongue

Lord Soth
Well, I was exaggerating, but I'm glad I evoked such a passinoate response big grin

Darth Revan
Same here... I have no experience but sometimes I scare myself--like I can tell what the next thing somebody is going to say is... Without even knowing them very well. Same with animals--I can predict fairly accurately how they'll respond to stuff

and no I don't claim to be psychic

Lord Soth
I do! yes big grin

Fire
:unfortunately, as we grow older, we learn to ignore it, even though it could solve a lot of problems in the world

Well Soth I personaly have discussed a lot of things with a lot of much older ppl than myself and most of them do listen to what young(er) people have to say, not all but most

Lord Soth
I was giving a generalization

Corlindel
Well I am 34 and I spend sometime listening younger people opinions here smile

Corlindel
Ah! And I am learning a lot smile

Lord Soth
I'm only 15 big grin(although my birthday's soon)

Corlindel
We have all the same age here in KMC smile..As other thread at GF says; somewhere between "loser" and "freak" stick out tongue

Lord Soth
HAHA laughing

doesn't make their opinions any more valid...just a different perspective like everyone else

Darth Revan
yes

love your sig, btw.. Can't believe that got on the news..

haha thanks yo

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.