Languages

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Phoenix
As a few already know, I am writing an LotR Fanfic... It would be greatly appreciated if anyone could give me some cool phrases in any Middle-earth tongue...

Phoenix
Language, Phrase and then Translation would be cool... eg.

Orcish :

"Amal shufar, at rrug"
Where there's a whip, there's a way.

Exa
What should these phrases be about? And which languages - any is nice, but who shall speak them?

Phoenix
Well, I mostly want dramatic ones in Elvish or Orcish, but anything is good! Funny ones, serious ones - whatever you can find! Or just your fave saying... Or names, and their meaning...

Phoenix
I will put everyone who contributes in my 'thanks' for my fic... big grin

Exa
About your second post - only with words really attested by Tolkien or also Neolanguagetranslations, like Neokhuzdul, Neoorcish (like your sentence, these words are freely invented by somebody but Tolkien has little to do with it)?

Exa

Exa

Phoenix
Tolkein ones are good, but made-up ones are good too! My only thing is that it needs to be correct Tolkeinese - eg. right grammar, syntax, spelling, verbs etc, but it doesn't have to be a phrase he actually used...

Exa

Phoenix
yes, that is ok big grin

Exa

Phoenix
I love that one - it completely sums up the main character I'm using... She is bitter because she no longer has any chance or life or of love... The only line I had thought up as one she would shout at Legolas...

"I am not like you - I cannot leave! I must stay here and rot, with the filth of Men!"

freckleson
Namarie! Nai hiruvalye Valimar. Nai elye hiruva. Namarie!

Means:

Farewell! Maybe even thou shalt find Valimar. Maybe even thou shalt find it. Farewell!

Murray
Elvish:

cavmin linduva yassen megrille

This translates to:
"My bow shall sing with your sword"

If anyone has any Elvish lines, please post them because I'm trying to learn as much about the language as I can.
THANX!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.