Elvish

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Hobbitgrl
Hey! I was wondering if any of you speak elvish. If yopu do, please translate this, "Journey to light" into Elvish! thanks!

Kitoky
EXAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!

Exa
Lend na-ngalad I think

Kitoky
I know the ngalad is right..... Not sure about na and Lend

Exa
Light is Calad, but lenited either galad or nasally rather a-chalad... yes I think
Lend a-chalad is better

Kitoky
Gil- galad, Gil-chalad. I'll stick with Gil-galad

Exa
Both is possible (calad and galad)

galad is softly mutated from calad in that word, there is no nasal mutation there thus gilgalad and not gilchalad which would only be with a nasal before

But also in Galadriel thus both... chalad sounds nicer....

Kitoky
I think Galad is much easier

Exa
big grin
Why easier?
In Gilgalad its clearly easier softly mutated, but the word IS Calad... at least I used the calad-form (->a-chalad) and not galad (->a-ngalad)

Kitoky
Yeah yeah yeah phoey, most elves use the nasal one galad, though might be calad, it sounds more like galad, and that's how Phillipa, Fran, and PJ did it.

Exa
they S A Y Gilgalad because his name IS Gilgalad but for the construction of the name Tolkien used the words gil+calad which together makes gilgalad - in Sindarin, the consonants at the beginning of a word change when put together with an other word
so together with gil it makes c -> g
but together with an it makes c -> ch because n is a nasal and L is a liquid which causes soft mutation instead of nasal mutation wink depends on the word not on the speaker

Kitoky
I KNOW!! I was just using Gil galad as an example...phoey.

PippinTook
Hey Exa, where did you learn to speak Elvish? And how long did it take you?

Caribbean_Chick
Does anyone know how to say Birthday in Elvish?

and I triel learning Quenya but it take so much time and effort.. I just couldn't do.. I'm going to try again over the Summer holidays

Exa
Birthday would be "Nostrad" or "Nostor" in Sindarin, in Quenya "Nosta".

I do not speak Elvish, just to clear that. I know some words and some grammar and can write a bit, but I can not really speak, some words or phrases perhaps, but not more. I started all that about two or one-and-a-half years ago, but never really learned; I started several Sindarin- and two Quenya-courses, I think, but until today I only finished one quite simple Sindarin-course which didnt teach much. At the moment I'm working on some Sindarin course I quite like and I think I'll restart one of the Quenya-courses again as I forgot practically everything. For translating something, I usually need a dictionary, especially for Quenya which is an enormous language.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.