Classic Horror or Modern Horror?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

HockeyFace
So what do you guys prefer? Classic Horror from the pre-30s to the 30s-70s or Modern Horror from the 70s-Present?

I honestly enjoy Classic Horror better. There is just nothing like watching an old time classic like Dracula, Noseferatu, Wolf Man, Frankenstein, Creature from the Black Lagoon, Raven, Black Cat, Mummy, Horror of Dracula, Curse of Frankenstein, etc. or B-Grade turds like the Killer Shrew, Plan 9 from Outer Space, Giant Gila Monster, or Bride of the Monster or movies with horror legends like Christopher Lee, Bela Lugosi, Boris Karloff, Lon Chaney Jr., Vincent Price, William Castle, etc.

h0ck3yh0rr0r
ummmm classic horror influenced modern horror. so this thread is "kinda" pointless.

BackFire
I prefer horror from the 70's and 80's

HockeyFace
Any reasoning for that Backfire?

Lord Soth
I love the old-time classics like the original Halloween, and Nightmare on Elm Street, but I enjoy the more modern pictures better becuase of sound and video quality. Granted, a grainy feel can sometimes add to a horror atmosphere, but I was more scared by Scream than by Halloween

BackFire
Too me, many of the classic horror films, while being great, are incredibly dated by today's standards. Especially the really old one's from the 30's and 40's. They're very fun and interesting to watch for their sentimental value to the horror genre, but I just can't comprehend any other reason for watching them numerous times.

tabby999
while i do respece the older horror movies i'm not a big fan of much of the stuff prior to the 70s

ragesRemorse
you know classic horror was so good because it pushed it's own boundarie's. Now some of the times the classic horror movies pushed the limit just for shock value. Most of the time though the envelope was being pushed so that the genre could break free from it's cesored enviorment. Another thing was that there were no special effects like today, so if you wanted to make a horror movie you actually had to sit down and think up a half decent story.
Today in a movie realm where there are virtually no boundaries, the limits are being pushed time and time again just for mere shock value.Or movie maker's need no story, they just sit back and rely on special effects. Another way you know the classic horror was better is because the majority of today's horror are just recyled classic horror movies. Theoretically movies should be better with barely any censorship, and great tools for movie making. This is not the case though

Agent_Diva
I like modern and classic...some classics are UNBEATABLE..(I.E - The Omen, The Shining, Nightmare On Elm Street ETC)..but some modern movies are very good..and have the edge..because of better visuals ETC...but a modern horror movie destined to be a classic...I have yet to witness a film, i think will become a classic of the horror genre.

HockeyFace
Classics are different from MODERN DAY CLASSICS the first of which probably being TCM and Halloween. Classics are movies like White Zombie, Murders in the Rue Morgue, Curse of Frankenstein, Abominable Dr. Phibes, The Tingler, Horror of Dracula, etc. Modern Day Classics are Halloween, NOES, TCM, etc.

ragesRemorse
i dont know man i think murders in the rue morge and frankenstien are no longer classic horror movies but vintage horror. whenever genre's break free from a certain standard into a new realm of movie making, there predecessors have to be classic. I dont think we will ever see a horror movie as good as the ones from the late 60's to the mid 80's. The best horror we can hope for lies in thriller suspense.

HockeyFace
I just think that really old horror films are better. The acting is by FAR much better in the really old horror films than now. Guys like Peter Cushing, Christopher Lee, Boris Karloff, and Bela Lugosi ruled and were horror-based actors. The only real horror actor to date is Robert Englund.

Evil Dead
I do not much care for the older films........anything pre-1960s.

I do however believe that people are a bit too liberal with the term horror. There were many old monster movies made........but to label all monster movies as horror, I don't believe I'd go that far. I've seen plenty of movies containing the same monsters that were in no way horror flicks.

sk8rpunkbarbie
i dont know coz the older stuff was seen as scary like the first dracula was seen as scary where as now a days speacial affect are a lot better nd can make things scaried i dont know i think im in the middle because the effect are gettin better as time goes on but if you watch a old horro in black and white its scary still just no as scary also i think it depoends what kind of horror u like classic or modernised

Evil Dead
even for the time period.......I don't think all of the Wolfman v/s (insert monster here) films were made to be scary............no more than Freddy v/s Jason was made to be scary. Monster v/s Monster.........throw them together out of curiosity and fan's desire.......not necissarily because you are trying to scare the living shit out of people.

tabby999
i think Kane Hodder has done a great job as Jason, hes big, imposing and makes jason look really cool. Englund isn't the only good horror actor.

HockeyFace
Hmm... well... I am a little suprised no one liked the pre-60s horror or pre-70s horror. So you guys don't even like the Hammer ones?

sk8rpunkbarbie
he he wolfman rocks! rock

BidMyBlood2Run
I prefer to watch 70s and 80s horror, because they all are my favorities. Very rarely does something good come out in theaters since 1995 that I've enjoyed... only Wes Craven's New Nightmare, Freddy vs Jason, and a few other things have made their way onto my favorites list.

Lord Soth
I love just about evything I've seen (but then again I only watch what people recommend to me) I especially loved Scream

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.