5 Istari

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Alar
I read sumwhere that there were 5 istari at sum point who came 2 middle earth, who were they?

i know obviosly about Gandalf n Saruman, n vaguely of Radagast (or howeva u spell it)

who were the other 2 and what happened 2 them? Oh, n Radagast 2?

silentfaf
the other two were the blue wizard i believe and there idenity is still unknown

Kitoky
Istari means 'Wise Ones' and they came to Middle-Earth under a sort of mission of the Valar and they travelled to Arda, but Saruman was the most powerful. They came to Middle-Earth around the 1000 year of the 3rd Age

The five were Gandalf, Saruman, Radagast, Alatar, and Pallando. These five were known as other names before they were sent to Middle-Earth, Gandalf was Olorin, and Saruman was Curunir/Curumo. Radagast was also known as Aiwendil. Alatar and Pallando were the Ithryn Luin, or Blue Wizards.

These two travelled with Saruman to the East of Middle-Earth but when Saruman came back, these two didn't.

Sauron is also a Maiar but these Maiars are more lower class and can't stand up to the power of the Valar or Illuvatar.

Alar
no one knows even their names?

Firithlotwen
curunir is saruman
mithrandir is gandalf
olorin was another but i don't know if it's gandalf?
radagast is another
and i'm missing one or two... ?

Trickster
Yeah he is Gandalf. Look up

Alar
sorry kit, didnt see ur post b4 i wrote that. thx a lot smile ur provin a v helpful kinda guy

Kitoky
Anytime guys. Exa is the #1 priority, I'm just helping out.

Alar
wot u mean about Exa?

Kitoky
Exa's like a Lord of the Rings encyclopedia, you ask her anything and she will know.

Firithlotwen
i was reviewing the names of the most known istari, but i think i'm missing at least one messed

Firithlotwen
so we should wait till exa sees this post?

Discos
Well done, I thought Kitoky did rather well in Exas absence lol, na I think the post is pretty much cleared up. Nice one wink

Wasn't there another type like Sauron?

Discos - Exa rules, but trojans don't

Bar-en-Danwedh
it is assumed that the blue wizards were killed in the east by dark forces but tolkien hints that they may have turned evil and become like cult leaders of the easterlings and southronsl.

Kitoky
Type of Sauron?

Well....you know how Sauron is the called the 'Dark Lord' but he's the Second Dark Lord. Sauron was probably one of the first to come to Middle-Earth, he was there since the First Age. So he's lived for about........14 or 15 thousand years.

Sauron's name means "Abhorred".

But before he came to Middle-Earth while he was still this perfect little lower class Maiar, he was perhaps the most powerful of the Lower class. So really when he came to Middle-Earth, earlier in the First Age, the Melkor corrupted him and you know the whole story right?

Kitoky
Hmmmm interesting.....

Lord_Andres
wasint there a book called The New Shadow? maybe he wanted to write more about the two blue wizards there

Kitoky
Hmmm I never heard of The New Shadow....

Lord_Andres
I belive that he didint finish it, and read someware on the net, don't know if it's true, that it had something to do about a kult of some sort

Lord_Andres
look what I found, a bit offtopic I know

http://www.fountain.btinternet.co.uk/tolkien/

Exa

Kitoky
Exactly what I said Exa.

Exa
I said Id say exactly what you said as you already said everything that is to be said

Firithlotwen
i thought ungoliant eated the other "spiders" and ended eating itself, and never had any "children"... this is a questions that bugs me a lot, how certain we are that shelob descends from ungoliant?

Exa
It IS certain, Tolkien says so (if we take Tolkiens word for being correct).

Where does Tolkien write that she ate other spiders?
Dun remember that... but in the Silmarillion it is said that in the end she devoured herself in her hunger, though Tolkien started a poem about Earendil where he wanted to describe him kill Ungoliant.
And - Ungoliant had many, many children.

Firithlotwen
yes, you're right, now that i recall.........

it's been a while since i read the silmarillion, maybe i should read it once more to freshen things up! wink

thanks exa, you're really a human tolkien-dictionary!!!

feanor

Exa

feanor

sauron
erm exa gandalf-staff elf

wasnt it

gandalf - wander elf

im SURE it was that would also explain how Gan and thar(K) could both mean staff

Exa
Its staff-elf - originally the name of a dwarf in the Elder Edda.
Tolkien first planned to take the name for Thorin and call Gandalf "Bladorthin" instead - which later became the name of a very mysterious king near Dorwinion. Bladorthin means Wanderer of the Wide Lands or something like that, but Gandalf comes from
Gand = staff, especially a quite magical one, and Alf = Elf

Exa

Kitoky
And there goes my minute of spotlight right out the window as Exa comes galloping on Asfaloth. *sighs*

Bar-en-Danwedh
a good start is that Shelobs stinger pierces through mithril !!!

"...bugs me alot..." ha ha ha, what a delicious pun! laughing
Happy Dance Happy Dance Happy Dance Happy Dance

Kitoky
Um....actually Shelob CAN'T pierce through Mithril...nothing can....

Bar-en-Danwedh
frodo is wearing the mithril coat when Shelob stings him.
mirhril stops normal weapons, yes, but Shelob's basically the daughter of a god!

Kitoky
In the books Shelob struck Frodo in the back of the head/neck but in the movie, it goes against the rule of Mithril and the sting could not've pierced Mithril, so I'm assuming that the sting just about missed the Mithril.

Bar-en-Danwedh
it's been a while since i read the books but that does sound familiar...

but ungoliant kicked melkors ass, so i imagine that Shelob, while born to a deminished Ungoliant, still would be increadibly powerfull. especially because her mother sucked the life out of the two trees of valianor, and it took an army of balrogs to chase beat her off.

i'd like to belive that Shelob could do it, maybe not her kids in Mirkwood, but she kicks ass.

feanor
in the book frodo got stung in the neck, the back i think

TrixStar
maybe im forgetting but where does it say that?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.