Upgrading to WinXP is Arse

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Baylin
I've just upgraded to WinXP from Win98, which in its self is ok I like the system, it seems to work really well apart form all my old programs that wont run properly on it! mad
So not only have I had to fork out for my new OS I've also had to fanny around and in some cases pay to upgrade my existing software to use it.

Why bother going to XP you might ask, well I recently got myself a digital camcorder with USB link but Win98 cant manage video and audio via USB and microsoft have stopped doing updates for it so my hands were tied.

I'm sure its a conspiracy amongst the electronics makers, make things that wont work right on older systems so the consumer has to spend more money upgrading and stuff! Makes me MAD!!! mad mad

Rebel Racer
XP is the best.... too bad things are so ****ed for you.

Baylin
No dont get me wrong so far I'm actually impressed with XP, just a bit miffed that I've basically had to replace a lot of my old software that I used to use a lot because it wont work under XP

Rebel Racer
oooh, i had the exact same experience when i upgraded. I was pissed to the coffin, i swear. Nothing worked with XP, not even my printer!!

Baylin
The worst bit is my CD writer. I installed the old software not realising it wouldnt work. It didnt work and made XP unstable, no probs I thought I'll just uninstall it. Which I did - XP then stopped recognising both my CD drives. I had to edit the registry, which always scares me, to sort the problem out!

silver_tears
I have 98 and have a usb cam and all blink

Rebel Racer
damn, baylin, you took it hard... everything finally said-and-done?

Baylin
A usb webcam is a little different to digital streaming from a camcorder apparently. I dont know why but when I tried it on 98 I could only get the video but no sounds - which hey given my camcorder commentary probably isnt a bad thing...

Baylin
Yeah I'm pretty much sussed for now...

yerssot
when will you learn? microsoft always has bugs for you to pay for to get rid off

Corlindel
And don't forget to do the online microsoft updates..or your pc will crash.

I hate Microsoft.

Fire
lol I never do online updates, I dont trust em never have never will

anywayz best is not to upgrade an old windows version but to format your HD and to install the new one

yerssot
NOW he tells ya stick out tongue

Fire
noone ever asked: or another possibility if you have the HD space, just install XP "Next to" your 98, so you can use both

yerssot
nitpicker stick out tongue

Fitch
the critical updates at windows XP are relly necessary because it has some huge bugs.

Fire
well it's junk anywayz long live 2K

Fitch
in some cases.....very true

rusky
good point fire... as a matter of fact, I'm sure u've heard of the MsBlast virus no ? big grin

Fitch
what about it ?

Fire
yea so? just get a decent virus scan

Fitch
true.the key to all viruses....antiviruses big grin

rusky
so what ? without sp1 or 2 u'll just get it again...
Plus...I hate antivirus software, it take ages to scan 120gb and I NEVER have the patience..

johnny_rotten
I had some problems with "old" software when upgrading to XP. If you "right click" on the "setup" or "install" icon of the programme, you can select "properties". On selcting "properties" there is a "compatibility" tab, select that. You can now select to run or install the "old" software as a 98, 95 programme etc etc. It has got me out of a few holes. Give it t a try.

rusky
Doesn't always work though... I found that to work well for REALLY old dos soft...

Dexx
wink..that's why i had to upgrade to xp, actually

rusky
laughing out loud

Gundark
XP was the operating system that came with this laptop I bought last year. Took a little bit of getting used to, but I love it now.

Ushgarak
Upgrading is indeed a bastard, but most have had to admit that XP is a considerable improvement on its predecessors.

Dexx
bwah..i liked 2000 professional way better.....
XP is a little greedy on the resources wink...and..considering my pc...smile

yerssot
cause it couldn't get any worse roll eyes (sarcastic)

Fitch
common....the buttons are way better laughing out loud

rusky
yes it can....longhorn's comin' big grinevil face

Dexx
yeah..yeah..the new age of voice commanding stick out tongue...sure...anytime big grin

Fire
XP has far too much DO NOT NEED options that take up space and resources

Baylin
I did do a completet install from fresh and being the idiot that I am I followed the instructions to the letter. First thing I did was go to microsoft update to install SP1 and would you believe I got hacked and planted with that lovely MSBlast. To make matters worse the person managed to set my PC so I couldn't download the updates or install my firewall! mad
To save messing I just re-formatted my HDD, re-installed XP. I then installed my firewall and anti-virus and finally downloaded SP1 - Bit of a lesson learned there I think!

All in all though I have to admit my PC does run a lot better with XP than 98, its only crashed once in 2 weeks, when I tried to run my old CD burning software on it. It used to crash a least 2-3 times a day with 98...

yerssot
wait... you actually listen to microsoft? stick out tonguewink

Baylin
Like I said I'm an idiot! Anyway it wasn't Microsoft it was some instructions given me by someone from my works IT department which kinda says it all! mad

yerssot
tsk tsk tsk, those guys know nothing huh? wink

Baylin
Not where I work, they're probably all microsoft trained laughing

yerssot
brainwashed more likely messed

Baylin
Indeed!

Have you heard about some guy in America called Micheal Roe. He's a software designer or something, anyway he's registered his website and called it michealrow.com and microsoft spat their dummies out cos they thought it was too much like their name! How sad is that!

yerssot
and did he win the case?

Baylin

Raz
How long did it take you to get hacked from installing? You might have broken a record...

yerssot
well, braking into by a bug from microsoft isn't that difficult razwink

Baylin
Well the SP1 was probably about half downloaded when I got the 'Remote Procedure Call Service terminated unexpectedly, windows will now shut down' message. Given that I have broadband, probably about 5 or 10 minutes sad embarrasment mad mad mad

Captain REX
Yeah, I've got an XP, Baylin. The graphics card is an arse and white washes the screen whenever you strain it with complicated video games. Jedi Outcast, my friend spawned a bazillion stormtroopers, whited washed!

yerssot
cause you have a crappy pc, rex stick out tongue

Baylin
My PCs not too bad far an oldish machine P3 1Ghz, 256Mb ram, 32Mb ATI Rage128 Pro Graphics.

yerssot
still... it isn't exactly good messed

Fire
the graphical card needs updating fast

Fire
btw just wondering who wins the fastest crash record?
when I installed win2k for the first time ever on my comp it had completed its installation and rebooted (as always) when it was rebooted it immediatly went to blue screen and crash big grin I think it run for 0.7 seconds or something

Baylin
Well I'm not really a game player I use it for some music production - which has always worked well, and I use it for net access so it does alright smile

But that aside hopefully in the next 6 months I'll be giving it to Mrs Baylin and I'll buy myself a new one! big grin big grin

Baylin
I had the same prob the 2nd time I installed Win98, infact it didnt really install properly cos I couldn't get it to reboot at all, so I had to spend another 2 hours re-installing it again - I was not a happy bunny that day! mad

Catch 22
I dunno how you guys do it. I've been running XP Pro since nearly release day and I never a problem with a hacker.

On the old applications not working front, if you follow the upgrade advise from Microsoft then generally most things will work.

The advise being: You should REMOVE any applications you wish to use after the upgrade, UPGRADE the OS, then reinstall the applications.

This is because the UPGRADE only UPGRADES the OS. Micrsoft have never ever said that it will reliably guarentee the operations of any application across an upgrade.

What they have said is that the MAJORITY of W98/Me compatable applications will run on XP, IF you complete the upgrade in the specified manner...

Fire
just format your HD and reinstall everything best way smile

I never had hacker trouble or virus trouble either, now my parents thats another problem

yerssot
cause you have a firewall I take?

well, Fire, nice try, but my dad got a bluescreen with W95 the first time he installed it, right after clicking on "finish" laughing out loud

Raz
Yes, firewalls are a MUST if you have broadband, or you use the internet for a long time.

a) They protect you from outside hacking
b) They protect you from inside hacking i.e. trojan programs etc.

Sygate do a free firewall which is pretty handy: http://soho.sygate.com/default.htm

Fire
well my new router has an in build firewall

yerssot
well, I have one too ofcourse, but for some reason not a lot of people over here have them

DracotheDragon
I've got XP Pro, and I've had no problems yet with all my old games and programs, hmmm..... weird.....

Baylin
The biggest problem I have with older games is my 8 year who logs on a restricted user cant run them. I'll be bug*ered if I gonna let him on as an admin cos he has a really, really annoying habit of playing about with things neither of us understand. This screws the system up and its me that has to go bald trying to fix it!

Catch 22
Absolutely, wouldn't be without it.

That's prbably because there is no upgrade path from Windows 95 to Windows XP.

yerssot
I doubt there is C22... but I didn't mean an update from W95 to XP, just the first time W95 got installed on the pc .... around 1995

Catch 22
Oh, I see. Well W95 was so innovative at the time, but it had more bugs than an entomology convention.

yerssot
laughing out loud
that's putting it lightly, 00-22

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.