Lack of Female horror icons

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

tabby999
is it just me or is there a distinct lack of female horror icons. and not i dont meen Sid from Scream or Starling from The Silence of the Lambs/Hannibal i meen there is no bad character females. is it so hard to make a Jason into Jennifer? Micheal into Michelle? Freddy into Freida?
i think it'd be cool to have a female killer. and no, the chick from American sucko two dont count neither. oh or Valentine, that movie was shite.

wicker_man
Mrs Vorhees from the original Friday The 13th ????

Lord Shadow Z
Yeah, I agree because women could seriously portray evil charcters really well and they never get the chance to because of all the parts being written are for males. The idea of a female horror icon should seriously be considered cause it's evil incarnate.

glenn
There's Kristanna Loken from T3

Lord Shadow Z
Kristanna Loken was crap as T3- she wasn't scary or evil at all.

SlipknoT
females just arent scary though

h0ck3yh0rr0r
WHAT! females are even scarier. Carey was a ****ed up movie. And Carey II was ok. But the first Carey movie....was great but i got really scared when i was little. lol

SlipknoT
Carrie was anything but great. OK, maby but not great

HockeyFace
Well actually females are scary... if they are b!tches (do not assume I am sexist when I say that)

Hw about hot blonde with rocket launchers for boobs and guns for an a$$? she could even have swords for her boobs too! LOL!

tabby999
people like the female termanator dont count, there spin off characters. there not in for the long run

Zilverz
What about the chic in Misery ? thats about the only movie i can think of right now

tabby999
havn't seen it so i dont know.

sk8rpunkbarbie
what about in the adama family the girl who married fester tries to kill the 'hole family and she ends up dying but she DID kill he husbands debbie so shes a female killer

sk8rpunkbarbie
and like yeh debbie

Evil Dead
#1. Wicker Man hit the most obvious example.........Pamela Voorhies from the very first Friday the 13th film, one of the most popular horror/slasher film ever.

#2. Carrie was not a villain. If you think this, you need to watch the movie.

#3. Camilla was pretty good in The Guardian..............

#4. Since people are bringing up movies like T3, which isn't horror........I take it we are now discussing villains in any genre, not jut horror? Okay..........perfect movie villain (female) Rebecca Demornay in the Hand that Rocks the Cradle..........

sk8rpunkbarbie
so when u p*** us off we dont grab the scissors and try and castrate u oh i think we do and we are scary *smiles smugly and reaches for scossors*

A.D. Skinner
Darkness Falls and The Ring both had villians that were female.

Not to mention The Exorcist.

Even in House of a 1000 corpses there was a female killer.

h0ck3yh0rr0r
evil dead> no, carrie is not a villain. i just said she was scary. smile

tabby999
people you missed my point. i'm not talking people in the movies that are one offs but ones that live on, and on, and on, like Jason/Freddy/Myers. yes there have been some good female characters in horror but there in what, one movie. and yes i'm only talking in horror, not sci-fi which is what the Terminator movies are under in my opinion

SlipknoT
As odd as this may sound I've never had a woman try to castrate me when I made her mad

sk8rpunkbarbie
yeh true but still its funny catwoman now i know she aint scary but shes sexy sassy and everything a woman bad guy needs to be

A.D. Skinner
For the most part, I think the sterotype for a serial killer or mass muderer has been a person of male gender. The female being the victim more than not.

As I took a moment to do a little research, I have only found one case: Aileen Wuornos from Florida ( A prostitue that shot 6 men after they were propositioned to have sex ). The list goes on and on for male mass muderers and serial killers.

Would the idea of a female movie killer be one that would work ? Possibly...but so many ideas have been done and redone in hollywood, that they would have to come up with something so unique and original to be accepted.

shaber
You don't know my mother laughing

If the Terminators count as horror films, then Linda Hamilton is definitely horrible enough to be a terminator - just not photogenic enough!

The T-1000 is one of my favourite villains. evil face

shaber
Is Catwoman all that bad? confused

shaber
What about the Midwitch cuckoos in village of the damned? Their leader was a girl-thing. They should of course have been smashed when they were still foetae.

shaber
OK boys and girls how about the alien queen in Planet of Blood? That is a rather creepy female horror film nemesis. Florence Marley had curiously overlarge features which made her appear more outlandish evil face alien

Nastybutlerbob
www.crimelibrary.com

Want to read on some intersting murderous females? Dig this. Not serial Killers or mass murderers per se, but sick bitches no less.

On another August Underground Mordum trip, if you want female horror Icon, it gets no better than Krusty from AU mordum. Shes hot, sick, bi and completely psychotic!

BTW: Krusty is the sexy Little thing bookending my signature. The picture is abit fuzzy though. I would post the full size picture but it has a bare nipple on it and I don't want to piss of the MODS and or ADMINS

Nastybutlerbob
here she is.....

i slayed buffy
thhat is really sick

sk8rpunkbarbie
you wanna see sick go to london dungeon website or TO london dungeon www.thedungeons.com

sk8rpunkbarbie

amlap
i think the character from that movie MAY or MAE? (whatever) would be a cool horror female

shaber
Hey, how did you all forget Samara in the Ring eek! ?

reander
Urban Legends had a female killer.

But i agree we need to make a movie with a bad ass female killer.

tabby999
true, but not a very good one

reander
^^^Yeah the killer in it was crappy.

How about Mrs Lumis in Scream, she was worse.

tabby999
i dunno i think "Mother" in Psycho was pretty shit, she just sat in the cellar, no lines, one exspresion, talk about wooden wink
yeah, its prolly just because its easier to make the women look weak and defencless in horror movies and the guys look all big and tough

bettyboo212
scream 2 - billy's mother
the exorcist - regan, although possessed by a male demon
all the boys love mandy lane - Mandy turns to killing
friday the 13th - jason's mam
urban legends - female student killer
psycho - Marion Crane

siriuswriter
i think the usually in a straight out gore horror film, it's more likely to be a guy.
i could think of a lot of edging thriller or wha??
Fay Dunaway as Jane Fonda in Mommy Dearest, for example.

I wouldn't want to be gadding around chased by that.

MildPossession
In reality, most killers are male anyway, it's rare for a serial killer to be female compared to men, and the type of killing that is relative to females wouldn't make much of a Horror film.

I find it more realistic in films to have male characters as killers over women, doesn't mean there can't be and I enjoy seeing it going in the female direction. I'm also happy that it's nearly always a woman who survives a horror film(final girl) and gets to kill the monster/killer. smile

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by MildPossession
In reality, most killers are male anyway, it's rare for a serial killer to be female compared to men, and the type of killing that is relative to females wouldn't make much of a Horror film.

I find it more realistic in films to have male characters as killers over women, doesn't mean there can't be and I enjoy seeing it going in the female direction. I'm also happy that it's nearly always a woman who survives a horror film(final girl) and gets to kill the monster/killer. smile

I agree with you

lil bitchiness
There is an iconic female horror character which has creeped males and females alike - Annie Wilkes, from Misery.

Although I agree there is a lack of psycho females. Sort of continuation of their character.

Robtard
Fatal Attraction had another memorable female villain, though not a horror movie, that ***** was horrifying, especially at the end.

There is indeed a lack female Horror villains. Probably because the theaters would be empty.

Kris Blaze
tbh there hasn't been a lack in 40 years now.

The 70s brought on a shitload of female power horror movies and it just continued.

Robtard
Originally posted by Kris Blaze
tbh there hasn't been a lack in 40 years now.

The 70s brought on a shitload of female power horror movies and it just continued.

I can't think of many in the last 20 years, can you name this shitload?

Mr. Rhythmic
Female killers are pretty much extinct at this point. It's a shame, though. All it takes is a strong script and a good actress.

MildPossession
Oo Jennifer Jason Leigh in Single White Female was messed up. Good film, not horror though.

bettyboo212
for my media coursework please could you help me by answering these next questions, it would be much appreciated smile

in your own opinion, how do you feel lead female characters are portrayed in horror movies?

in your own opinion, why do you think that there is a lack of female killers in horror movies?

Thank you for your time! big grin

Kris Blaze
Originally posted by Robtard
I can't think of many in the last 20 years, can you name this shitload?

Just reread the thread title.

I got it completely wrong xD

cinelover
Lead female characters are portrayed nicely and I feel that female killers are not that less......if it is less I guess it is because of ladies not happy doing those roles as most of the preferring glam roles which makes them popular...

MildPossession
I don't believe it is actresses wanting to do more glam roles at all.

Pandemoniac
Reviewing history and human anatomy explains the favor of male over female choosing the gender for killers in movies. Men sadly just proved to be a hell of a lot better at killing by mentality and physique, so the choice is uninspired but obvious.

lil bitchiness
Originally posted by Pandemoniac
Reviewing history and human anatomy explains the favor of male over female choosing the gender for killers in movies. Men sadly just proved to be a hell of a lot better at killing by mentality and physique, so the choice is uninspired but obvious.

Perhaps because of this, female killers are scarier - or female psychos, rather. That and anything to do with children.

All the boys love Mandy Lane does not have a female killer but it has a sociopathic manipulative female which made the whole move extreamly scary

MildPossession
Though she did kill her female friend at the end when the twist was revealed. Well I remember her friend running to her for help and then stabbing her, did she finish her off or did the boy, I can't remember ?

lil bitchiness
Originally posted by MildPossession
Though she did kill her female friend at the end when the twist was revealed. Well I remember her friend running to her for help and then stabbing her, did she finish her off or did the boy, I can't remember ?

It's correct, but I wanted to allude people to it happening. stick out tongue

MildPossession
Oh, okay I will shushhhhhhhhh then. smile

Selphie
She's clearly not a villain, and was indeed a victim, but in I Spit On Your Grave, the girl dishes back some serious revenge.... pretty badass.

BackFire
May, Asami from Audition, one of the killers in the August Underground films is female.

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by Selphie
She's clearly not a villain, and was indeed a victim, but in I Spit On Your Grave, the girl dishes back some serious revenge.... pretty badass.

i love that movie.. excellent cult classic

Parmaniac
Christine :-D the car from the Stephen King Film :-P

Amazing Vrayo!!
I think a woman was the villain in sleepy hollow.

Amazing Vrayo!!
It isn't really horror, but that girl who played juno was in this suspense film called hard candy where she wasn't really the villain, but she was certainly the scarier character even though she was the protagonist.

MildPossession
Yeah one of the main villains in Sleepy Hollow was played by Miranda Richardson.

wicker_man
Whilst I agree there are no horror icons on the same level as Jason, Michael, Freddy and Leatherface there are still a few lurking around:

The Blair Witch

Regan MacNeil (The Exorcist) - although I believe the demon that possessed her was male.

Lady Summerisle (Wicker Man remake)

The Alien Queen wink

Annie Wilkes (Misery)

Amanda Young (SAW)

Sil (Species)

The Nanny (The Nanny)

Ayesha (She)

Christina (Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed) - although the soul that was given to her was that of a man

Julia Cotton (Hellraiser 1 & 2)

Female Cenobite (Hellraiser 1 & 2)

RayzLittleHell
Angela - Night of the Demons
Angela - Sleepaway Camp

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.