The Da Vinci Code

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Lord Soth
I just finished this today. It is incredible awesome. Dan Brown is a genius. The story is intrguing and mysterious. It has startling insights to the Christian faith. The codes and how they're solved is mind-boggling. The characaters are enticing. I swear, this book seizes you mind and never lets go till the end, which is awesome. I'd recommend this to anyone who loves intellectual reading, and anyone who enjoys reading about sybols. The main character is, in fact, a symbologist. I intend to read all of his other books, they're that good.

What do you guys think?

badkittykitty
wow sounds like it was a awesome read lord soth!

SilverFighter
Did you find it very controversial? I heard it promotes gnosticism and not too fond of Catholicism? Let me know I been wanting to read it but never made it part of my reading list.

Lord Soth
Well, being an athiest myself, I found all of the anti-Christian sentiments (and the reasonings behind them) very intriguing.

JamalMagloire
I just finished reading Angels and Demons. Brown's introduction of Robert Langdon. This was great too. DaVinci Code has a better body, but Angels and Demons has a superior ending. You all should really go out and read them both.

beaujay1
Oh yes!!!! I read this book like two weeks ago!!!!!!!!!! i loved it, my family loved it too!!!!!!Is it all true? Not including the characters but the holy grail? thats very interesting

Nilfalathiel
Eh, I've never read The Da Vinci Code, but I did find Digital Fortress on an airplane. I just sort of slipped it into my bag and read it - it wasn't that bad

Lord Soth
U've read Angels and Demons, the Da Vinci Code and Digital Fortress. I love the way he can insert so many plot twists into the story, it's almost too hard to follow. Almost. I can't wait to read Deception Point

JamalMagloire
What is Digital Fortress about? Is it anything like Angels and DaVinci?

Lord Soth
Digital Fortress is little lie A &D and The Code. Digital Fortress doesn't even have Robert Langdon. I'll copy down the back on the book

When the NSA's ivincible code-breaking machine ncounters a mysterious code it cannot break, the agency calls its head cryptogropher, Susan Fletcher, a brilliant and beautiful mathematician. What she uncovers sends shock waves through the corridors of power. The NSA is being held hostage...not by guns or bombs, but by a code so ingeniously complex that if released it would cripple U.S. intelligence. Caught in an accelerating tempest of secresy and lies, Susan Fletcher battles to save the agency she believes in. Betrayed on all sides, she finds herself fighting not only for her country but also for her life, and in the end, for the life of the man she loves.

Awesome, huh?

tptmanno1
Who has read this book?
It's awesome!!
Go read it!!

tptmanno1
Sorry about the double thread and the double post.
I loved this book,
Im am Catholic and I thought the parts about the history of christianity were very enlightening.
I can't believe all this stuff is true!
I have to look at some of the Da Vinci paintings again, to see if I can spot some of the things he mentioned.

I also liked how he put that part about Phi in there, That is just soo cool!

Lord Soth
I know....stuff like that seems so unrelated to the story but is soooooo awesome anyway....

tptmanno1
yea but i like how authors do stuff like that!

Lord Soth
yes

tptmanno1
Just finished Deception Point!
Wow!!!

Lord Soth
I know! Dan Brown kicks ass!!

Plus, there are plans to make The Da Vinci Code into a movie....eek!

tptmanno1
If they can pull it off well, go for it, But if they make it suck...

Now reading angles and Demons!

SAtown_punk
I've heard great things about this book, and I plan on reading it soon.

sprtsbabe7
I love the Da Vinci Code. It really made me think. What if all that stuff was true? All my friends love it and are forcing everyone else to read it too!

SAtown_punk
From what I hear, most of the stuff in the book could be true. I really want to read it, but it's a very hot item, apparently. It's out at all the libraries.

tptmanno1
Da-Vinci code is Historical/realistic Fiction.
This means that all of the underlying facts are true
the brotherhood, did/does exist as does that wierd sec of the Church, that the albino belongs to, thats reall. all the stuff in the paintings
this is a spoiler so I will post it as so
The part about the Holy grail being mary Magdaline is true too. That's swesome!

SAtown_punk
Don't post spoilers! Luckily, I have no idea what you were talking about, and I will have probably forgotten that when I finally get to read the book.

tptmanno1
Thats why i put it in the spoiler text!
but all the other stuff i put your hear about within the first chapter, adn not really essential.

SAtown_punk
oh well...ok

Lord Soth
The Da Vinci Code
Based on the best-selling novel, The Da Vinci Code centers on Harvard professor Robert Langdon, who uncovers a 2000-year-old conspiracy through clues encoded in painting by Leonardo Da Vinci. (Mystery/Thriller)

Directed by Ron Howard
Written by Akiva Goldsman

tptmanno1
wow, I hope they can pull it off well.

Fire
might read it some day not time atm

SAtown_punk
Ron Howard is directing? The movie is going to be amazing, then.

Lord Soth
There is no official word on who's acting, but there are rumors going around that Russel Crowe is a possibility for Langdon (which I don't think would work, he'd make a better Fache), and Kate Beckinsale as Sophie Nuveau(sp) (which could work, if she dyed her hari convincingly blonde)

Meggs
I am actually right smack in the middle of The Da Vinci Code! I haven't been able to put it down at all and nothing has ever kept my interest as this has. It sounds to me like Brown's books are a lot a like. This is the first I have read of him. Any other greats out there you would like to suggest?
Thanks

Lord Soth
He only has 3 other books out: Angels and Demons ( a prequel to the Code), Digital Fortress, and Deception Point. However I hear tell that's he's righting another Robert Langdon adventure now

MattyB
http://kingstonobserver.com/images/books-da-vinci-code.jpg

My English teacher recommend this novel to me. I recently finished it after purchasing it last week. I don't mean to bring up more controversy about this book, since there is a lot as is, but I was curious about all of your thoughts on the book, whether you think it is true, everything that Dan Brown says. What do you think?

Thanks again

> Matthew

badkittykitty
merged your thread matthew..it was also one of our book of the month books heres a link to the discussion http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=33818&highlight=Discussion

MattyB
Thanks kitty, just something else to add...

I am not of religous background, but I think that everything that Dan Brown said was from facts and history that exists somewhere in the world. All of the places he talks about is true, but is everything related to the Holy Grail and Jesus he talked about real? I'm not offended by anything he says, like I said, I am not religous so I am offended by nothing related to Christ.

What do you think?

finti
Finished the book and it was an ok read, have read some similare stuff before. Holy Blood Holy Grail. "The Templars Revelation secret guardiance of the true identity of christ

Well Dan Brown uses a lot of the stuff from the two books I mentioned and that it is some truth to it, well at least about the secret society founded by some crusader king. The fact that there where several gospels about the life of Jesus that was "denied" access as a gospel in the NT(new testament) is true. What Dan Brown wrote about what happen with the Council of Nicaea in 325 AD is a fact too among other stuff.

It is just as much truth to this as the NT, only thing I think the Gnostic gospels are closer to the truth than the NT. The fact that Jesus wasnt divine at all

Vampiree
I'm reading it RIGHT NOW... God, it's so amazing... i mean.. the codes! they're brilliant!

but..

Opus Dei sick that's horrible.

~Air Angel~
^ Yeah Opus Dei was awful. Silas' character was so appalling.....GROSS! He seemed like such a freak. It's hard to believe that there are societies like that.....creepy.

As for the book itself, I just finished reading it last week. I loved it! It has the wheels in my mind turning........... with all the facts....

PHI....the grail info..........the paintings and how each was painted...with hidden meanings.

I went and pulled up the Mona Lisa and part of the face is larger....then I pulled up the last supper and totally could tell it was a woman.... I had never really looked into any of this stuff before. But definitely this book is worth reading.

I am trying to get my husband to read it...but he's thrown off with all the big words and the french in it......... I just told him to get past Chapter 18 and it starts getting really good!

I recommend for anyone to read this, if they haven't already. It's a MUST READ book!

Jury
The DaVinci Code is really worth buying for. smile

The Religious History however seemed not new to me. My religion teaches the same.

The characters of DanBrown are very symbolic. The Holy See... Silas and the Opus Dei... The Teacher and Bishop Aringarosa... the Priory of Sion... Sophie Neveu... Jacques Sauniere... Fache, Collet and Vernet... Wow everybody is too symbolic... They all exist in our real word. smile

I quite disappointed with the character of Sir L. Teabing... and the password APPLE... Quite predictable. smile

Anyway, the Book is really good.

I can't wait for it's movie version. The DaVinci Code starring Tom Hanks as Robert Langdon.

smile I also suggest you guys to read "The Holy Blood, Holy Grail"... Brown's reference to The DaVinci Code.

smile I thank God I'm not Catholic.

Lydia_J
I love the Da Vinci Code, I was always trying to work out the answers to the codes but was kindfa rubbish at them embarrasment. The symbology stuff in there is really interesting to read and being Catholic it is very fascinating to hear all the stuff relating to Christ, it makes me think about what I believe. The book is great and a film would be brilliant if they did it well

Evy_O
btw people, the real Opus Dei isn't as described in the book, it's only rumors about the stuff Silas did messed

I heard Langton is gonna be played by Tom Hanks and Sophie by the girl that played Amelie (no idea how to spell her name in english and excuse me if this has already been mentioned, but no time to read the thread over)

Jury
Actually, Opus Dei was used symbolically.. and also the Priory of Sion... The thing Dan Brown wouldn't admit of course. He rather wanted to be that way. Priory of Sion is not actually the secret society where those mentioned prominent people counted in... It won't be so secret anymore if Brown insisted to reveal the real name of the secret society in his story.

yerssot
errr...Jury... the Priory of Sion DOES exist

and in the end secrets do get out y'know messed

Jury
Yes. It DOES exist... but not the one Dan Brown described in his book.

yerssot
and you know all societies/organisations in the entire world so you can say with such certainty it doesn't exist in the way he described?

Jury
Simply because the list of the Priory members remains an "allegation"... and without proof. smile

Ushgarak
The Priory of Sion does NOT exist! It was a French hoax created for a laugh in 1956, fulfilling the surrealist ambitions of its three creators. It did take its name from a short lived Catholic orde rhtat wrapped up in 1617. They took the name of an irrelevantm forgotten order and created the entire line of bullcrap that Holy Blood/Holy Gail, and later DaVinci Code, is based upon.

I cannot believe rational people still believe this stuff after its exposure. The very people themselves who are the source of all of it admitted the hoax years ago.

Nearly every single thing listed in the Davinci Code is not real- regardless of what Dan Brown says.

a1hsauce
WHAT!

yerssot
the point of a secret organisation is that it's a secret wink
but of course Dan Brown knowing so much is a bit silly, those parts are, imo-oc, not true

Ou Be Low hoo
Anyone thinking of reading 'The Da Vinci Code' should disgard their desire now! It's a piece of trash wrapped in fake silk.

yerssot
because ...

Jury
Originally posted by Ou Be Low hoo
Anyone thinking of reading 'The Da Vinci Code' should disgard their desire now! It's a piece of trash wrapped in fake silk.
...and...?

Ou Be Low hoo
You are both right...'Because' and 'and'.

yerssot
I'm good at guessing games no expression

do you have any actual reason to say it's a piece of trash and are you willing to post your reason? if so, please do

there no expression

Ou Be Low hoo
Oh...la...la...Well, let me see...It's written like a Clive Cussler novel, it's inaccurate and it's ends like any other middle-of-the-road, trashy 'thriller' novel. Oh, and it's the litterary equivalent of a Big Mac.

Do you require further embellishment?

Jury
In what point do you render the novel as 'inaccurate'?

Care to point the reasons why? roll eyes (sarcastic)

Ou Be Low hoo
Do your own research, my friend...The internet can be used for other things besides posting on KMC.

Jury
Are you the internet?

Clovie
Oh...la...la...Well, let me see...It's written like a Clive Cussler novel, it's inaccurate and it's ends like any other middle-of-the-road, trashy 'thriller' novel. Oh, and it's the litterary equivalent of a Big Mac.

Do you require further embellishment? ermm...you don't read a thriller novels to get knowledge about stuff. you read them because you want some entertainment. (at least it is my reason) and i don't see why are you forbidding this entertainment to some ppl messed if they want to they can read it. even they like it good for them, coz they had fun. and it was actually slightly better than average 'trashy' thriller. (at least you didn't know how it will end after reading first two sentences yawn)

there are two ways of classify a good book
1. it has a big point, and is important. and i'm unable to read it. coz it is depressing me too much.
2. it is a 'read-me' book. you take it, you read it and book is read. you are having some fun in the meantime.

and why are you making such a big deal of it?

(and btw if you want to compare something to big mac, try reading harlequins)

Jury
love mon chere clover clover

yerssot
yes, there are historical inaccurasies in the book... that's why it's fiction, if you can't seperate reality from a story the person needs to get mental help. Giving this as a reason NOT to read it is simply stupid, it is ment to entertain and not to teach

Soth
This thread took quite a nasty turn...

For one thing, The Da Vinci code is a well-written, edge-of-your seat book, however inaccurate it may be. People could be arguing this for decade with people gave them the chance.

And despite my affection for this book, I must admit that it has flaws. Numero uno was the lack of character development. Like Stephen King, John Grisham, and other, Dan Brown writes the literary equivalent of popcorn movies. We enjoy reading it, but it doesn't exactly fulfill us. Brown, King, Grisham, etc. rely on action to further their story.

Other than that, I have no problems with it. It is FICTION, as yerss said, and anyone who tries to make a huge world-controversy deal about it completely wasting their time.

Miss_Faye
I read the book as soon as it came out, i simply loved it. It had alot of information that has been buried by the church and they're all true. This is the first author that I have read in a while that knew just how well to put this info into the story plot. I loved it!

luv_danrad*^^*
the di vinci code was so good!! i read it lots of times. it was real smart!!!!

Jury
thumb up

yerssot
Originally posted by Miss_Faye
I read the book as soon as it came out, i simply loved it. It had alot of information that has been buried by the church and they're all true. This is the first author that I have read in a while that knew just how well to put this info into the story plot. I loved it!
though be careful about what you consider the truth in the book

Miss_Faye
Originally posted by yerssot
though be careful about what you consider the truth in the book

Yes i know, but the author did do his research and had all his facts well written. He makes good sense. And I can tell the differences between truth and make believe. wink

yerssot
well, not all that he wrote and claims to be fact is right

Miss_Faye
I know I never claimed it was. But some of the facts that he did discuss in the book were right.

yerssot
indeed smile just saying wink

Miss_Faye
Ha, alright coolness, by the way good thread.

Ou Be Low hoo

This is what I stated previously...Please note, the inaccuracies of the tripe are only one point of displeasure.

However, the problem with inaccuracies in works of fiction is that some fools believe them and some authors encourage this belief...Far greater is the crime of being an over-rated piece of trash wrapped-up like an 'intelligent' book, causing stupid people to believe..."Wow, I like, uh, understood 'The Da Vinci' code, so, uh, I must be, like, uh, well-read and smart, yeah!"

Jury
This is what I stated previously...Please note, the inaccuracies of the tripe are only one point of displeasure.

However, the problem with inaccuracies in works of fiction is that some fools believe them and some authors encourage this belief...Far greater is the crime of being an over-rated piece of trash wrapped-up like an 'intelligent' book, causing stupid people to believe..."Wow, I like, uh, understood 'The Da Vinci' code, so, uh, I must be, like, uh, well-read and smart, yeah!"
So, maybe people behind the New York Times and other critics who praised the works of Dan Brown are stupid.

Clovie

However, the problem with inaccuracies in works of fiction is that some fools believe them and some authors encourage this belief...Far greater is the crime of being an over-rated piece of trash wrapped-up like an 'intelligent' book, causing stupid people to believe..."Wow, I like, uh, understood 'The Da Vinci' code, so, uh, I must be, like, uh, well-read and smart, yeah!" oh shit.... so can't be thinking i'm smart cry and my hopes went so up back then.

yerssot

and as I state: if you can't seperate fiction from truth, you have a mental problem. This is not a reason to diss this book or any other fictional book there is out

Ou Be Low hoo
Jury, Clovie, yerssot...I love you all and you're all very smart, so I must be wrong as you never fail to miss the point of my post.

Here are some of my favorite books:

Catcher in the Rye - JD Salinger
You Shall Know Our Velocity - D Eggers
The Great Gatsby - Fitzgerald
Dubliners - Joyce
Heart Of Darkness - Conrad
The Alchemist - Coelho
Great Expectations - Dickens
The Great White Shark Hunt - Thompson
Caught Inside - Duane
Papillon - Charriere
Catch 22 - Heller
1984 - Orwell
Animal farm - Orwell
A Clockwork Orange - Burgess
The Crying of Lot 49 - Pynchon
The Jitterbug Perfume - Robbins

Most of them are works of fiction, so 'truth' has little to do with whether I like or dislike a book. My derision aimed at The Da Vinci Code, as I've repeatedly stated, is that it is just a shit book.

Clovie
i love you too huh

out of books you mentioned i've read only Catcher in the Rye and The Alchemist...
i've read something by conrad but not the one you mentioned, and i have no clue about english title of that one. and a part of 1984.. resignated from reading it coz it was too similar to our history erm

and what goes for da vinci code..
i have no idea why are you making such a big deal of it.
you didn't like it. it is your chpice, but everyone should have a right to make their own choices and i don't see why are you in so autocrative way prohibiting others from read a book.
it is nothing but a book.
you find it 'shitty', i find it entertaiming, some other ppl loved or hated it it.

and i thought the dissucion was that some ppl belives what was said there to be truth (what is obviously wrong) and not that it is not one of the kind of books you like.

Jury
I rather agree with the critics' praises for the book. erm

yerssot
Jury, Clovie, yerssot...I love you all and you're all very smart, so I must be wrong as you never fail to miss the point of my post.

Here are some of my favorite books:

Catcher in the Rye - JD Salinger
You Shall Know Our Velocity - D Eggers
The Great Gatsby - Fitzgerald
Dubliners - Joyce
Heart Of Darkness - Conrad
The Alchemist - Coelho
Great Expectations - Dickens
The Great White Shark Hunt - Thompson
Caught Inside - Duane
Papillon - Charriere
Catch 22 - Heller
1984 - Orwell
Animal farm - Orwell
A Clockwork Orange - Burgess
The Crying of Lot 49 - Pynchon
The Jitterbug Perfume - Robbins

Most of them are works of fiction, so 'truth' has little to do with whether I like or dislike a book. My derision aimed at The Da Vinci Code, as I've repeatedly stated, is that it is just a shit book.
now, if you just would build me a statue and "sacrifice" two young beautiful virgins every day I'm happy wink

I only read 1984 and Animal Farm I believe... though I'm pretty sure that I never finished 1984 cause I found it boring blink

anyway, I was like Clovie under the impression that the discussion was about that it wasn't fully the truth messed

Jury

KharmaDog
For people who care not to research the fact that they so readily believe when reading "The Da Vinci Code" The history channel has aired a documentary several times showing how most (if not all) of the facts used in the book are based on shoddy research, hoaxes and lies.

What bothers me most is that the author is seen in the interview claiming that all the "facts" in his book are true.

I started to read this book, but became quickly bored. Not saying it was poorly written, just not my cup of tea. However, I do think it's a joke that the author has tried to convince people that the facts of this book are true. I think that it's a bigger joke that people who have enough skill to read often lack the ability to research facts before they so readily accept them.

Jury
Originally posted by KharmaDog
For people who care not to research the fact that they so readily believe when reading "The Da Vinci Code" The history channel has aired a documentary several times showing how most (if not all) of the facts used in the book are based on shoddy research, hoaxes and lies.

What bothers me most is that the author is seen in the interview claiming that all the "facts" in his book are true.

I started to read this book, but became quickly bored. Not saying it was poorly written, just not my cup of tea. However, I do think it's a joke that the author has tried to convince people that the facts of this book are true. I think that it's a bigger joke that people who have enough skill to read often lack the ability to research facts before they so readily accept them.
Dan Brown says:

HOW MUCH OF THIS NOVEL IS TRUE?

The Da Vinci Code is a novel and therefore a work of fiction. While the book's characters and their actions are obviously not real, the artwork, architecture, documents, and secret rituals depicted in this novel all exist (for example, Leonardo Da Vinci's paintings, the Gnostic Gospels, Hieros Gamos, etc.). These real elements are interpreted and debated by fictional characters. While it is my belief that some of the theories discussed by these characters may have merit, each individual reader must explore these characters' viewpoints and come to his or her own interpretations. My hope in writing this novel was that the story would serve as a catalyst and a springboard for people to discuss the important topics of faith, religion, and history.

BUT DOESN'T THE NOVEL'S "FACT" PAGE CLAIM THAT EVERY SINGLE WORD IN THIS NOVEL IS HISTORICAL FACT?

If you read the "FACT" page, you will see it clearly states that the documents, rituals, organization, artwork, and architecture in the novel all exist. The "FACT" page makes no statement whatsoever about any of the ancient theories discussed by fictional characters. Interpreting those ideas is left to the reader.

smile

yerssot
when was the claim of that rival writer made? cause if it's recent, he's just trying to leech of the success of the book, if it was a month or so after first publication, it is most possibly that his claim is right

Jury
The news of plagiarism was sometime in September or earlier... year 2004.

I also found out that the intenational bestseller - Holy Blood, Holy Grail authors prepare to sue Brown with the same charges.

Probably, it's because of Dan Brown's success in making the Da Vinci Code.

smile

buttafly
I loveddd the Da vinci code! awesome book. I've read angels and demons as well and I LOVE that book as well. Definately must reads!!!

yerssot
yeah, after they see it's succesfull they go sue to get money roll eyes (sarcastic)

Filmmaker451
Dan brown must of read many books before wink

I still think this book was very well written and the mystery was so hard to put down but i think angels and demons was better in violence, intelligence and mystery. I love how in the end langdon found that the holy grail was right under his nose where he started but it could mean many things like in his head or he actually did find it their in the louvre

yerssot
I actually hated that part Filmmaker, if the ending was kept strictly on an idea it would have been better

Jury
yeah, after they see it's succesfull they go sue to get money roll eyes (sarcastic)
Definitely. smile

Clovie
Originally posted by Filmmaker451
Dan brown must of read many books before wink

I still think this book was very well written and the mystery was so hard to put down but i think angels and demons was better in violence, intelligence and mystery. I love how in the end langdon found that the holy grail was right under his nose where he started but it could mean many things like in his head or he actually did find it their in the louvre i think it'b be better if the grail was in that chappel in scotland erm

Jury
the Grail in Roslin Chapel... my reaction ---> huh

After I read the Epilogue ----> eek! confused big grin

Ushgarak
Originally posted by Jury
If you read the "FACT" page, you will see it clearly states that the documents, rituals, organization, artwork, and architecture in the novel all exist. The "FACT" page makes no statement whatsoever about any of the ancient theories discussed by fictional characters. Interpreting those ideas is left to the reader.

But a load of that is shit as well- several of the organisations, rituals, documents and conspiracies don't exist either (or at most are faked).

Clovie
ermm i know that Opus Dei exists but i have no idea about its rituals erm

yerssot
Originally posted by Clovie
i think it'b be better if the grail was in that chappel in scotland erm
I thought it would be better if the grail was destroyed ages ago or simply couldn't be found anymore

Clovie
I thought it would be better if the grail was destroyed ages ago or simply couldn't be found anymore that too.

but if it has to be somewhere....some desert chappel in mountains sounds for me much better than middle of paris sick

Jury
And I remember in the movie... "The League of the Extraordinary Gentlemen".. It was mentioned there the blueprint of Paris underground made by Da Vinci himself.

colchestereldo
hi all

just finished the Da Vinci Code, am most of the way through Angels and demons --- which has certain similarities, it must be said!
However, found both books completely gripping. The rolling debate in this forum as to whether or not the "facts" are actually "fiction" is almost irrelevant --- the point is, we're all talking about it. Dan Brown has 3 books in the top ten best sellers list at the moment, at least he does in the WH Smith at Stansted Airport, if that's anything to go by.

The point I'm making is that I can't remember the last time one book captured the imagination of so many people all around the world like this one - except perhaps the Harry Potter ones, which i must admit i haven't read largely because I'm not 12.

I noticed yersott that your list of favourite books reads a little like those of my old English Teacher (you're not, are you...?) All pretty much considered classics, and i'm certainly in agreement with you on Orwell and Dickens. However, let's not make the mistake that Dan Brown writes for a different audience to someone who enjoys the "classics" as well. He just writes for a different mood. One day I may pick up Martin Chuzlewit (one day i may even remember how to spell it) another I may pick up Angels and Demons.....the point is, a book transports you momentarily away from your everyday life into a different place, and if you get enjoyment from it, who cares how accurate it may or may not be! Clearly, Dan Brown doesn't know where the real Holy Grail is, so the whole book, which was always going to end with the hero finding it, was clearly always going to have a large element of fiction to it.

My last point would be that conspiracy theories will always interest us -- and frankly, not knowing whether or not they are factually accurate is the interesting part......has anyone else watched the movie "JFK?"

Corran
I've just finished this book and I am of the opposite opinion, this book took me weeks to finish where I would normally finish a book this size in 3 days to a week if I am enthralled by it. I t just did not seem to get me going, I love fiction and intrigue, but this was not at all believable or interesting, there was too much crap assigned to symobolisms of the chalice, the worst for be being when you put 2 fingers behind someone's head in a photograph that this is a sign of virility - rubbish.

If this is the type of book that people are buying and making a best seller then I am disappointed in the literacy skills of the public today, this was not, in my opinion, well written.

Corran
Oh and the ending was pretty Lame too.

Jury
Well, who measures the literacy of a certain group of people or individual person anyway. roll eyes (sarcastic)

In my opinion, Da Vinci Code is the real UNIQUE novel in the history of modern literature... that's why it draws most interest in the world.

I only read few novels... Mystery-type fictions.

The Omega Code - which is not quite good.
The Genesis Code - is better
The Da Vinci Code - is best so far
The Devil's Code - which I am about to read.

These books offer much entertainment and excitement. smile

colchestereldo
i have to admit i too found the ending a bit "twee."
i'm also not sure that it was the style of writing that i enjoyed particularly, more the plot and the subject matter. I agree that he is probably not the finest writer around at the moment, but for me at least he is one of the most entertaining

RedAlertv2
I loved the Davinci Code. Just finished the prequel Angels and Demons. It was awesome also, though not quite as good as Davinci Code

sonnet
Originally posted by Soth
I just finished this today. It is incredible awesome. Dan Brown is a genius. The story is intrguing and mysterious. It has startling insights to the Christian faith. The codes and how they're solved is mind-boggling. The characaters are enticing. I swear, this book seizes you mind and never lets go till the end, which is awesome. I'd recommend this to anyone who loves intellectual reading, and anyone who enjoys reading about sybols. The main character is, in fact, a symbologist. I intend to read all of his other books, they're that good.

What do you guys think?

Sorry guys, I read the book but think its a load of anti- Christian propaganda. The world has been attacking Christianity for ages now. I just wonder what they are afraid of. Do they think if they try to discredit God and Jesus that it will make all of it untrue? I have seen to many miracles happen in the name of Jesus Christ to not believe every word that is written in the Bible.

Jury
I am a Christian... but I didn't see it against Christianity... I would rather say, the book is against Catholicism... that is more obvious.

smile

sonnet
I think it is a load of New Age crap. Just another attemp to discredit Christianity. For ages now the world is attacking Christianity. I wonder what they are afraid of???? But in a year or so when this book is forgotten the Bible will still be a best seller and Christianity will still be going strong!

sonnet
I am a Christian... but I didn't see it against Christianity... I would rather say, the book is against Catholicism... that is more obvious.

smile The writer is attacking ( questioning) the authenticity of Jesus as we know him from the Bible and are spreading biblical untruths. That I interpret as being against Christianity as our believe of Jesus as the divine saviour and all that is written in the bible about him is being made out to be false. But then there are also prophesies in the bible about the lies of the world and Satan that will lead many people away from the Truth.

colchestereldo
I agree with sonnet in that the book is not going to bring down Christianity, and that people will continue to buy read and live their lives by the bible, if that is their personal belief.

People were convinced at the time that Darwin's theories of evolution would bring down religion, given that evolution was seen to challenge a lot in the old testament, specifically Genesis, regarding the creation. In fact, Christians have simply reinterpreted the creation. Don't forget, the bible was not written by God or Jesus, it was written by believers, and as such things in it could be inaccurate without necessarily discrediting Christianity in general.

Dan Brown has not set out, as I see it, to bring down the Church, rather to write a best seller and make lots of money! He has simply put into an exciting fictional work theories that have been running for years. Personally, I am not religious to any extent, but not because Satan, under the pen name of Dan Brown, has led me astray. Christianity along with all religions is meant to promote tolerance and understanding, if you dislike something then don't read it/watch it/listen to it.

I personally dislike my children coming home from school telling me "facts" about Christianity and God, rather than being taught that they are beliefs that certain people hold. I do not particularly want my children brainwashed in this way. However, it is my role as a parent to encourage them to make their own minds up about the world, and if they grow up to be Christian/Muslim/Atheist they will recieve my support and respect regardless.

Sonnet - whatever you do, don't read Angels and Demons!

Jury
I don't think so. Dan Brown mentioned of Jesus as being married to Mary Magdaline.. and this idea came from the book "Holy Blood, Holy Grail"... Yes. There is a possibility that Jesus indeed kisses Magdaline many times... but there's no mention of them being married to each other.

Jewish customs include kissing each other while greeting. This is called the physical "Holy Kiss". See Romans 16:16.

On the other hand, there is also a possiblity that Jesus was married to her or to anybody... since there is no mention in the New Testament that Jesus is not married.

But the Book "The Da Vinci Code" is really against Christianity?

The author himself says:

IS THIS BOOK ANTI-CHRISTIAN?

No. This book is not anti-anything. It's a novel. I wrote this story in an effort to explore certain aspects of Christian history that interest me. The vast majority of devout Christians understand this fact and consider The Da Vinci Code an entertaining story that promotes spiritual discussion and debate. Even so, a small but vocal group of individuals has proclaimed the story dangerous, heretical, and anti-Christian. While I regret having offended those individuals, I should mention that priests, nuns, and clergy contact me all the time to thank me for writing the novel. Many church officials are celebrating The Da Vinci Code because it has sparked renewed interest in important topics of faith and Christian history. It is important to remember that a reader does not have to agree with every word in the novel to use the book as a positive catalyst for introspection and exploration of our faith.

smile

Ou Be Low hoo
It's still such a terrible book and I think everyone should leave it in peace to die a lonely death...

sonnet
Concerning your opinion that the bible was written by believers and are not of God, I just wonder how much you know about the history of the bible.The facts can be found in any library or museum,So take the time. I just wonder which believers then wrote the bible? The believers of God or the believers of Jesus for the old and new testaments were written ages apart and by over 30 different people ranging from prophets, disciples, apostles, ordinary people like Job and kings like David who was inspired by God's spirit. What is really interesting is how so many documents written over so many 100's of years and by so many different people and found in so many different locations can fit together like a puzzle. But as you said it is also personal belief that is at stake. On the other subject,surely if Jesus was married the disciples would have written about that as marriage was so important in that century. Jesus spoke many times about marital issues. When on the cross he entrusted the care of his mother to one of his disciples. Surely he would have asked someone to take care of his wife, had he one? But we know that Jesus was not married because the bible speaks of believers being the bride of Christ. And that he will return for his bride.If you read the scriptures about Jesus' teachings on marriage as well as Revelation 19 to 21 you will understand why there can only be one bride for Christ and that he could not have been married while on earth.

But we agree that not this book or any other will be a threat to Christianity. Even if Dan Brown did not intend for it to be so, look at the multitudes of people reading it not knowing about all the historical and biblical"mistakes"he made, and believing it to be true.They even believe that they now have incite into Christian faith and history. There are alot of websites where you can read about the mistakes and fabrications in his book. As for Angels and demons, I have read a lot of books that some Christians probably would rather burn. My husband has turned to New Age and I like to keep informed of their beliefs and opinions etc.So if you want to talk about tolerance and understanding here I am.

yerssot
well, lets not take this down a religious fight/debate/whatever, I suggest you go to the appropriate section for that. (however, I have to tell sonnet, that you are rather wrong: not every "fact" has been proven and there are "facts" proven to be wrong too. Furthermore, I suggest you read the gnostic works too, they hint at a relationship between Jesus and Magdalene)

to be ontopic about this:
it's been a while since I read it, but I DO remember that it has been said in the book that if your faith falls simply by Jesus being married or not, you were never religious in the first place. It's all about his teachings and not about his private life.
and as last, as I have said many times to those who oppose the book:
it's FICTION, there was never any claim that everything in the book is true, the documents and organisations are yes, but that's all. Someone who can't see this, should get professional help.

Jury
Dan Brown says:

HOW MUCH OF THIS NOVEL IS TRUE?

The Da Vinci Code is a novel and therefore a work of fiction. While the book's characters and their actions are obviously not real, the artwork, architecture, documents, and secret rituals depicted in this novel all exist (for example, Leonardo Da Vinci's paintings, the Gnostic Gospels, Hieros Gamos, etc.). These real elements are interpreted and debated by fictional characters. While it is my belief that some of the theories discussed by these characters may have merit, each individual reader must explore these characters' viewpoints and come to his or her own interpretations. My hope in writing this novel was that the story would serve as a catalyst and a springboard for people to discuss the important topics of faith, religion, and history.

BUT DOESN'T THE NOVEL'S "FACT" PAGE CLAIM THAT EVERY SINGLE WORD IN THIS NOVEL IS HISTORICAL FACT?

smile
wink yes as what I've posted before.

yerssot
yeah, but what's in a little repost wink

Moonunit
The book is lying bull-shit for gullible people.

yerssot
as said moonunit: it's fiction

Jury
The book didn't claim infallibility and inerrant anyway. smile

sonnet

Yerssot, there is a reason why the gnostic works were not included in the Bible. They dated much older than the the books of the Bible and were written by unknown people and there were no proof in these writings that the authors ever new Jesus or any of his disciples, apostles or prophets or even lived in Israel during that century - they failed all the criteria to be included in the Bible and new Testament for that matter. So as no one knows who wrote these they are pretty much useless and untrustworthy for Christians. Christian faith is not build on whether Jesus was married or not. We believe what is written in the Bible as God's word and our faith is build on the fact that Jesus died on the cross for the sins of the whole world. Thus it is faith in the salvation through the blood of Jesus that it is all about.
But lets leave the religious discussion there.

The book is there to be read and every one must decide for themselves.

yerssot
errr...same goes for the gospels that got included, sonnet: no one knows who wrote them and they DEFINITLY weren't written by the apostels: the youngest one of the four is from 70 BC!

sonnet
errr...same goes for the gospels that got included, sonnet: no one knows who wrote them and they DEFINITLY weren't written by the apostels: the youngest one of the four is from 70 BC!

Sorry to say but you are very misinformed or are using unreliable sources. The history of the bible are documented and can be researched in any library. All of the documents recovered concerning the gospels were in fact signed by the authors or there were indication in the writings who it was written by.

yerssot
laughing out loud you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about
please do some proper reading on this

and for more religion talks, please go to the religion-forum

sonnet
laughing out loud you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about
please do some proper reading on this

and for more religion talks, please go to the religion-forum

rolling on floor laughing I have. Have you????

yerssot
from time to time

Aminto

yerssot
you can't cause some just sign up to spam... which this is too I believe

Moosooman
Even thoguh it was anovel there is a lot of truth involved in it. As i had been studying about this for some years now. About Rex_Deus etc.
Good book though smile

Aminto
Hi yerssot,

Sorry I came over like a spammer, that wasn't my intention, I only posted here 'cos you were talking about The Da Vinci Code (or at least, started off talking about The Da Vinci Code!)

Peace man,

Aminto

IceWithin
I recently started this book and I'm loving it... I'm in the part where Sir Leighe Teabing tells the story about the Holy Grail to Sophie
This is what I call a page turner!

IceWithin
just finished it! great book and great ending...
greatness no expression

@F1
Only just purchased The Davinci Code, heard so much about it, can't wait to start reading it. Been ages since I read a good book. OK, here I go...Chapter 1 Robert Langdon awoke slowly.

Deano
k ive picked up a copy and have started to read it...

zmckee
There is the most awesome thing about the Da Vinci Code on the internet. If you go to google and type in Da VInci Code web quest #1 or #2 you get this awesome search that makes you look things up and it's just so cool. Do them both. They are awesome.

dani86
I thought the Da Vinci Code was brilliant, kept me interested and in suspense the whole way through. As a Catholic I was finding my self wondering about the painting and the holy grail wondering if any of it is true. Definitely a book to read!

Deano
brilliant book
im now onto angels and demons

darkfan76
Good fiction novel! smile

Worst pseudo-historic document I've ever read!!

embarrasment

Well fist of all I think Don Brown's sources were:
Michael Baigent, Henry Lincoln, Richard Leigh "Holy Blood, Holy Grial"
Kersey Graves' "The World's Sixteen Crucified Saviours"
and many gnostic and esoteric documents.

Its literary value is poor. The historic value is none, or worst than that, this book has confused many people that believe blindly that the facts and conjetures presented are faithful.

Don't confuse the mistery and curiosity feeling you have when reading the book with literary depth.

The anti-christian (specially anti-catholic) intention of the book, has made Brown to twist many historical facts, while others are just a lie.

You can visit any library and document yourself. I'm bothered, not for the anti-religious content, but for the manipulation of historical facts, that any of us can check in any library.

Don't take for granted eveything you read!

Jury
Anti-Christian? Ows? I am a Christian... and I love the book. It made my faith as a Christian even more stronger. smile

Ya Krunk'd Floo
For the love of all that is Natural, stop reading this terrible book! It is nothing more than common garden-weed trash that is more disposable than a paper cup, but less useful.

Jury
Why would you suggest somebody to STOP reading a book? Not all people do have the same curves of absurdity like yours, anyway. And who are you to stop them?

It is okay to say something (whether negative or not) about a book, but you can't simply say "STOP reading this terrible book!" Not that way. no2

darkfan76
Why would you suggest somebody to STOP reading a book? Not all people do have the same curves of absurdity like yours, anyway. And who are you to stop them?

It is okay to say something (whether negative or not) about a book, but you can't simply say "STOP reading this terrible book!" Not that way. no2

Agreed. I suggest to read the book, and also suggest to read real history books. The problem is that for many people this will be their first contact with many historical facts that are twisted or faked in Brown's book. I repeat: No literary value, No historical value. Just a topic that creates curiosity and that put together as a thriller, will be perceived as an interesting, revealing or even a magnificent novel by readers with less history and literature general knowledge.

The goal of this novel is first of all, creating controversy, that will lead to curiosity, that will lead to buy the book $$ , so the main goal has been clearly achieved (smokin: Congratulation Mr. Brown!). 2nd. Creating religious confusion and doubtness in readers, and it has achieved to a certain degree, specially to those whose knowledge of primitive christian religion and history is very poor. (There's more but do not want to include religious remarls on this forum!) :

Movie_Geek_
Originally posted by darkfan76
Agreed. I suggest to read the book, and also suggest to read real history books. The problem is that for many people this will be their first contact with many historical facts that are twisted or faked in Brown's book. I repeat: No literary value, No historical value. Just a topic that creates curiosity and that put together as a thriller, will be perceived as an interesting, revealing or even a magnificent novel by readers with less history and literature general knowledge.

The goal of this novel is first of all, creating controversy, that will lead to curiosity, that will lead to buy the book $$ , so the main goal has been clearly achieved (smokin: Congratulation Mr. Brown!). 2nd. Creating religious confusion and doubtness in readers, and it has achieved to a certain degree, specially to those whose knowledge of primitive christian religion and history is very poor. (There's more but do not want to include religious remarls on this forum!) :

True, The book did not have much to do with historic fact as much as a guess or perception of history. I saw a thing on the history channel on the books historic facts and my mother got a book call Decoding the Di Vin Chi Code. There historical fact support for the fact that the theory Langdon has in the story then what we lean in Sunday school. I found it interesting and worth reading. I am not a strong Cristin person and have not been to church for longer then I can remember so the books content did not bug me, it made me more interested in the history of religion,which by the way is different then what they tell you in church.

eadraven
If you liked Da Vinci Code.... you'll love Angels and Demons... Its a bit more far fetched than da vinci but fun non-the-less...

Movie_Geek_
Originally posted by eadraven
If you liked Da Vinci Code.... you'll love Angels and Demons... Its a bit more far fetched than da vinci but fun non-the-less...

I have read them both. I like The Da Vinci code better too. Agles and Demons did not seem as possable as Da Vinci.

lioness_pride
I LOVE The Da-Vinci code.
WOW.
i read it las weekend and i loved it so much
the plot is amazing!!!

iluvsirius
super great book!!! i also read Angels & Demons, Deception Point and im starting Digital Fortress!! he has such a fertile imagination! hes really a genious!

Great Vengeance
The actual story of Da vinci code is rather simple and uninspired. What makes the book worthwhile is the interesting research he shares with the readers.

me_myself_and_i
I'm not finish reading this book.. But it's ausome as of the moment! There are lot of tricks and twists! I really love the characters.. It has all in one package! I'm a catholic.. but being an open-minded person, i'll leave all the truths about the holy grail and divinity of christ to the book itself.. it really entertains me but for a 'virgin' like me, it was shocking!

AOR
Being a Catholic I found the Da Vinci Code very entertaining, and that's about it. True, it seemed very peculiar, but seeing as Dan Brown is a Christian, I believe his goal was to merely put out a book that would shake the masses...

Makedde
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
Did you find it very controversial? I heard it promotes gnosticism and not too fond of Catholicism? Let me know I been wanting to read it but never made it part of my reading list.

I didn't find it controversial at all, I enjoyed the book, and found a lot of it fairly believable, like it may actually have happened.

DarkC
The Da Vinci Code is definitely a phenomenal book, although in my mind I liked Angels and Demons better.

Barker
Originally posted by DarkC
The Da Vinci Code is definitely a phenomenal book, although in my mind I liked Angels and Demons better.
I agree 100%.

DarkC
I currently own all the Dan Brown novels. stick out tongue Nearly done Deception Point.

Solomon Key(2007) should be a hit. Every single one of his novels has.

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>