Gothmog

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Firithlotwen
hehe to make things clear about gothmog

i started a thread about ROTK EE, with a text from a spanish web that i translated, and there they call gothmog to the head orc in pellenor fields battle (the one who talks to the witch king when he says he's taking care of the wizard)

i think gothmog is one of the head orcs in minas morgul, but i don't remember if it's the same orc that the one in pellenor fields battle, and i do not remember his race so i can't conclude anything sad

ALSO there is another gothmog: the lord of the balrogs (the one that killed feanor if i remember correclty)

ok, i may be wrong so i need your help to make things clear

sauron
gothmog was lord of the balrogs go to encyclopedia of arda and it tells you about balrog and orc gothmog

Exa

Kitoky
Gothmog in the movies was the Orc General that was ordering everyone around.

ATM4eternity
Movie gothmog was the lieutenant of morgul im pretty sure. he was the white one that stabs the ranger in the chest in osgilianth (damrod?)

Exa
The ranger was called Madril wink
Damrod was darkhaired, I think

ATM4eternity
oooo yeah thats right

Discos
was gothmog from Murgul? In the movie they all appearfrom the boats into Osgiliath but i may be mistaking as they could of "boated" from Minas Morgul?

Exa
They cant have come from Minas Morgul by boat because there is not water wide enough on that way wink as its in the mountains big grin

They set off from the borders of Anduin not too far from Osgiliath.
Im sure they came from Morgul as its the nearest way for Mordor-Orcs, Minas Morgul being a former fortress of Gondor, counterpart to Minas Tirith.

Firithlotwen
yep exa you're completely right (as always!!! smile), i searched in the glossary from my .doc version of the silmarillion, and it said that, plus i searched in the document and i found interesting things such as

now it's a spoiler ahead (i advice no to read it if you haven't read the silmarillion yet)

//
gothmog (lord of the balrogs) not only murdered feanor as i remembered, but also murdered gondolin and (there is more!, this i didn't remember at all messed) ecthelion and gothmog killed each other
//

wooow i'm so reading the silmarillion again!! too bad now i only have the .doc version, hope my eyes resist!!

IcepicK
go an print It... unless you are out of paper and tint big grin... its too unconfortable to read it from the pc :s

Firithlotwen
i better ask for my own book back wink
i gave it to a friend after i read it, when i was in highschool (like 5 o 6 years ago)...
may be i'll print it :P

Bar-en-Danwedh

Bar-en-Danwedh
oh yeah, and it took more than one balrog to kill feanor...
it pretty much took all of them.
(that's why feanors my favorite elf)

Firithlotwen
i'm more confused now than before....

so gothmog we all agree it's the lord of the balrogs

but it's also a ringwraith because of some of the books

and in the movie it's an orc

????????????

is this correct?????

ATM4eternity
well put firith,,,,, some where it talked aobut him and said he was the "lieutenant of morgul" my guess is that he attacked osgilianth first and was still there when they were all on boats.

Bar-en-Danwedh
in the film credits, there is listed: orc lieutenant.

ATM4eternity
The same person played the witch king and gothmog.

Exa
Witchking and Gothmog is Lawrence Makoare

"Orc lieutenant 1" is played by Joel Tobeck

sauron
ALL the balrogs no...several,,,all the balrogs would destroy him in an instant

Bar-en-Danwedh
well either way it was a bitchin' effort!!! several balrogs (and many orcs) is still an amazing effort and way to go!!!

especially the way he died... got up, red hot, and told his sons to fullfill thier oath and then blew away as ash in the wind.

Corlindel
Gotty is my pet. I brought him from Udhun. The other from ROTK is ugly and my Gotty is beautiful stick out tongue

Bar-en-Danwedh
John Gotty?

Exa
big grin big grin

Godzilla2000

Corlindel
bah,,,That is not my Gotty. My Gothmog killed Feanor and Fingon. And I gave hi a strong breakfast or Gotty would est them too stick out tongue

Exa
Your Gotty also killed poor Ecthelion, didnt he? Nassssty Gothy

Godzilla2000
Ah, you must be referring to the original Gothmog, Lord of the Balrog whom Gothmog named himself after when the Witch King fell.

Corlindel
Echtelion is a Pimp!!! mad I dont wanna hear his name mad

big grin

feanor
Gothmog and I are now locked in eternal battle under the house of Mandos... laughing laughing

Exa
Strange that only two of the Balrogs really had names... Gothmog and Lungorthin the White, both called "Lord of the Balrogs" big grin

ecthelion is not a pimp
he killed five (!) balrogs...

feanor
And I thought I knew quite a bit...I found no reference to Lungorthin the White. I humbly bow to your vast knowledge. Ecthelion also killed Gothmog before he himself was slain. But you already knew that... big grin

Exa

Bar-en-Danwedh
i spoke to a friend of mine who is wiser than even I in these matters,
he has read the books more than I and for longer...

I brought this up and he said that Gothmog as an orc was a laughable Idea and agreed with me, howver to my utter horror he didn't agree with me that gothy was Kamhul the Nazgul. He said Man, and not neccesaryily a black numenorian like MOS! but I still push for Ringwraith status. But what ever anyone belives -THERE IS NO WAY GOTHMOG IS AN ORC!!!

Exa

ATM4eternity
for the movie gothmog is an orc,,,,, he was in the credits, and gamesworkshop has a model of him "Gothmog, lieutenant of morgul" he was and orc leader in the movie but then was givin a name

Bar-en-Danwedh
but the credits mention one 'orc lieutenant'
????????????????????????????????????????

either way the films may have interpreted him as an orc...
but 'gothmog' and 'witchking' are played by the same guy!!!
so i don't know what to think...
either way gothy is not an orc in the books...
(and this in no way lessens my love for the films)

ATM4eternity
alright, now what to figure out.... who the orc lietenant is? my guess is the one with a skull on his head that yells catapults! and then gets owned by aragorn and the dead

Exa
Hm... Orc lieutenant... no idea who he could be... maybe one of those from Minas Morgul who came to Ithilien? This guy standing beside Gothmog when Madril is killed?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.