The Hobbit Update

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

JKozzy
What about The Hobbit, Tolkien's own precursor to "The Lord of the Rings"? New Line has production rights although the situation is complicated by MGM/UA's distribution ownership. "There's a reasonable possibility that we can negotiate an arrangement," New Line co-chairman Bob Shaye says. The studio also has the rights to create its own original prequel or sequel to "The Lord of the Rings," but would pursue the projects only if Jackson would be involved again.

From comingsoon.net big grin

TimberlandG2
I think that this would be a great idea to bring Hobbit to screen. It would give everyone an in dept look at the Hobbit. The book has enough info in there to mak a great movie.

BingaBonga
I really hope that PJ will do it, but he's doing King Kong next. This must be thread number 3239459606 that has to do with The Hobbit stick out tongue

Evil Dead
Um.........not to doubt your source or anything but............

The Tolkein estate (his children) still own the rights to the book.......and have not sold them, nor will they ever. They did not even want the LOTR movies to be made..........they however could not prevent the LoTR movies because J.R.R. himself sold the movie rights to the books back in 1968.

Before any studio can make a movie based on the book "The Hobbit" they must first procure the rights to the book............which is impossible as Tolkien's family refuse to sell the rights.

Sure.......New Line can make it's own sequel or prequel to LoTR, they own the rights to that story............if New Line's prequel resembles "The Hobbit" in any way shape or form (name/story) however they will get the pants sued off of them.

Kes
How long ago did Tolkien died?

Evil Dead
Tolkien died on September 2, 1973........

Kes
Thankssmile
So that was 30 years ago, almost 31...if it was here and the family didnt sell the rights we would just have to wait another 40/39 years big grin lol

Fire
yea Kes they can't claim em forever (I think -costs a lot of money as well-) so one day we might see it

yerssot
with all respect, I hope not,
I didn't thought the hobbit was such a great story

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.