The Silmarillion

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

shadowy_blue
Hey you guys!

For all that have read, still in the midst of reading, and for those that have just finished reading "The Silmarillion", this is the place where you could have your insights about the book.

This is the general review area of everything you want to discuss about it. Things that you liked, things you didn't like, your favorite Silmarillion characters, favorite chapters, things about Silmarillion that doesn't fit the other threads that discuss about it, everything. You could also clarify some stuff if you like. big grin

You could also post your reviews here about the book overall. big grin

Hope it's ok to post a thread like this. cool

sauron
turon killed beleg...and then killed himself

very good part that...his sword talks! wtf stick out tongue

or the fall of gondolin...

the theft of the silmarils....

Smodden
tulkas the strong:awesome guy except when he fell asleep...

Exa

Smodden
tulkas is not nasssty! mad he's just bold, big grin

sauron
aye, i shall slay you, to forget the tatse of my masters blood

^something like thast^

tulkas i HATE him, laughing in melkors face..and manwe with his eagles and boringness

fingolfin for his death in challenging morgoth

feanor for being a bad assed elf

sauron for just being sauron...and totally tricking gorlim and laughing at numenoreans stick out tongue

gothmog, glaurung, beren who shows up with his hand gone and says i have it in my hand, give me you r daughter mwhaha

and of course thingol such an amazing guy..who was KILLED BY BASTARD DWARVES mad

huan the hound of valinor permitted to speak three times upon arda

Exa
Yey Tulkas is stupid mad laughing at morgoth... really... args!!
Manwe is boredom in person

I loved that scene big grin I dun remember exactly but something like "and sauron laughed... and sauron laughed a second time... and sauron laughed again... and so on"

in fact he says
"For little price do elven kings sell their daughters: for gems and things made by craft" wink

Smodden
yavana's hot.

Exa
Yavanna? Yeah shes cool... with her trees and everything..

sauron
seen here have you stick out tongue

yeah exa im on about when he gets back without his hand

ive got the silmril in my hadn..but my hands in some wolves stomach...*grabs daughter* so il be taking her

(he says that but all tolkieny, not in my weird way stick out tongue)

shadowy_blue

Smodden
manwe can go blow his winds somewhere else!

and ulmo(s?) out sleeping in the sea while melkor's wrecking havok!!!!!!

oh wait didn't he go in with melkor for a little whil?

Exa
Hehee lol ok thats another point of view than tolkien gives stick out tongue
Bad luck that he had to die before he could do anything like wedding her big grin
But mad stupid beren (for robbing morgoth) was allowed to live again mad while poor, poor, lovely Beleg is never mentioned again *cries*

and id say Ulmo is the only one (apart from morgoth) who cares about the elves and men of middleearth... thinking of Gondolin......

shadowy_blue

Exa
"For the less even as for the greater there is some deed that he may accomplish but once only; and in that deed his heart shall rest. It may be that I can unlock my jewels, and never again shall I make their like. And if I shall break them, I shall break my heart, and I shall be slain, first of all Eldar of Aman. (...) This thing I will not do of free will. But if the Valar will constrain me, then I shall know indeed that Melkor is of their kindred!"

Smodden
Tukas! Tulkas! Tulkas!

well i'm off to work

CU l8er

Exa
"GREAT IS THE FALL OF GONDOLIN"

"By the command of Morgoth the Orcs with great labour gathered the bodies of all those who had fallen in the great battle, and all their harness and weapons, and piled them in a great mound in the midst of Anfauglith; and it was like a hill that could be seen from afar. Haudh-en-Ndengin, the Elves named it, the Hill of the Slain, and Haudh-en-Nirnaeth, the Hill of Tears. But grass came there and grew again long and green upon that hill, alone in all the desert that Morgoth made; and no creature of Morgoth trod thereafter upon the earth beneath which the swords of the Eldar and the Edain crumbled into rust."

"At last Fingon stood alone with his guard dead about him; and he fought with Gothmog, until another Balrog came behind and cast a thong of fire about him. Then Gothmog hewed him with his black axe, and a white flame sprang up from the helm of Fingon as it was cloven. Thus fell the High King of the Noldor; and they beat him into the dust with their maces; and his banner, blue and silver, they trod into the mire of his blood."

sauron
"not the first"...but he did not then know of what they meant

Exa
Yey thats what Mandos said, right?

"Yea, a thief shall reveal thieves!"

Kitoky
I've always had this liking of the Tale of Beren and Luthien. Romantic...

I liked Eldamar and the Princes of Eldalie.

shadowy_blue
Celebrimbor was so sweet to create the Evenstar for Galadriel. love And Fingolfin, I love you. love big grin

Kitoky
Don't forget Glorfindel. But he's off limits.

shadowy_blue
LOL...laughing I'll just stick with Eol, then. big grin

PippinTook
Sadly, I haven't read the Silmarillion yet....I tried though! I'm on the fourth page right now embarrasment But I just haven't read it because I have to read specific books for school right now (I'm reading five books at once...I'm not sure I can handle six haha), but when I get done with those books, I'll finish the Silmarillion. So tell me, everyone, how do you rate it? Out of 10. I saw someone rated it on the last page, but I want to know what everyone else thinks big grin

Kitoky
I read Silmarillion like in a month and a half, because I was so busy with school.

PippinTook
I could probably read it in two days or something if I didn't have school or anything to do...But I do sad Gah. I'll probably get done with the books I have to read in a few weeks...Hopefully soon.

shadowy_blue
Out of 10? Maybe 9.75 big grin

I really can't rate it as the perfect, perfect book to give it a 10 IMO, 'coz I admit I'm being confused and lost sometimes. But that really depends on the person who's reading it. You just have to remind yourself though that one of the things about the Silmarillion is that it is the "backstory" so to speak of "Lord of the Rings." Tolkien meant it more as a historical text than a detailed story and that is why you don't get the indepth character development, dialogue, and landscape detail. The truly compelling characters who really had some developments are Melkor, Turin and Feanor, IMO.

Overall, I rated it 9.75, and I wouldn't rate it lower than that. It's a brilliant piece of literature and you wouldn't regret reading it. You will really be pulled in Utumno, Angband, Aman, Eressea, etc. big grin

Kitoky
I give Silmarillion a 9.99. The other .01 is for the small text.

PippinTook
Ah thank you shadowy big grin Eh that makes me wish I had it over here...I'm with my dad and my copy from the library (I don't have any money to buy it hehe) is at my house....I just can't get into it like I did with LOTR...It's confusing. It's kinda hard to read it, but once I get to the 10th page or something, I'll probably get done with it within a week, considering I have other books to read....*sigh* Good thing I'm a fast reader or else it would take me forever to read all these books!! .....Hmmm people think I'm wierd cause I like to read confused I say they're wierd cause they DON'T like to read! Ha! stick out tongue

PippinTook
roll eyes (sarcastic) That sounds like something my mom would say haha. She hates books with small text.

Exa
I love books with small text big grin
And I love the Silmarillion
I give it at least 10 out of 10 (Id love to give it 15 but thats quite impossible with 10 big grin )

For me the Silmarillion is the 2nd best book in the world... or ex aequo on 1 together with the Lays Of Beleriand love

sauron
i would give it a one

one hundred that is

Exa
big grin

Some critic called the Silmarillion an "elvish phone register" because of all the names... lol...

sauron
lmao big grin well what do critics know stick out tongue

kokiril33t
Ungoliant!!!

Exa
But nassssty Ungoliant dared to make Morgoth scream...

sauron
lol i wonder if it was a girly scream big grin

ungoliant is cruel....she was in my good books with the destroying of the trees...but then when she attacked morgoth...ooohhhhh i hated her

and was happy balrogs came and got her

FLAMES OF UDUN

Exa
How dare you just think of this impossible possibility big grin

Yeah Balrogs in the Sil are cool love especially Gothmog love

sauron
yeah but he gets killed sad sad by bloody you know who but cant say anything bad about him or someone (kit) will hurt me big grin

Exa
big grin

Yey but I like Ecthelion though he killed Gothmog... and I also love Glorfindel in spite of his murder concerning the poor poor innocent Balrog in the Echoriath...

Kitoky
*cough* Atleast you know your place big grin big grin

sauron
my place...sauron has no place, he strays where he will when he wants big grin yet he is not so mighty he is without fear...souby always gnaws at him...the fact kit would kill him for glorfy has entered his mind

Kitoky
laughing That I would laughing out loud

Ah well all is dandy...

Who thought that putting Aragorn singing of the tale of Luthien and Beren in Fotr was cool?

sauron
me!

its good stick out tongue

frodo: who is it, who you sing of
aragorn: luthien...an elf maiden who gave her love to beren...a mortal man
frodo: what happened to her?
aragorn: she died

audience: AWWWWWW

Exa

sauron
he he

Exa
AAWWW the cover of the best book ever love The Lays Of Beleriand... Fingolfins Challenge love

sauron
yeah except theres the poem and the melkor bits i added into it

Exa
Hard to read though sad *tries*

Kitoky
Yeah it is...

sauron
yeah i have it REALLY clear but its too large

last of all noldor
a star in the night
and a bearer of hope
he rides into glorious battle alone
farewell to the valiant warlord

the fate of us all
lies deep in the dark
when time stands still at the iron hill

Exa
WOW love
cool text

sauron
isnt it...im turning it into a sig big grin

but only the top part

Exa
smile
cool
are you gonna change your sig?

Kitoky
Ohhh okie, awesome. smile

When they did a close up shot on Viggo when he was singing the song, he looks absolutely adorable....

sauron
yeah exa i am

well il try

Exa
Awww Il miss the sauron one sad

sauron
lol well it may not work yet...il send yoiu sauron one if it does work...and you can look at it every day big grin

Exa
YEY!!!! thx

Kitoky
confused

sauron
sorry to disapoint exa but im keeping my current sig..because bastard thing wont upload

Exa
bastard siggy big grin

sauron
whoah first time i heard you say bastard big grin

Exa
Actually the first time I used it in written english big grin

sauron
yey glad to have witnessed it big grin

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.