Palpatine

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

sand person no. 10
Does anyone else think that palpatine needed to be in the ot more, ok he was in rotj a lot but he was hardly mentioned in anh, appeared briefly in esb, i just think he needed to be there more, if lucas is going to change the films slightly by adding to them, i'd add palpatine a whole lot more.

bigsef2
thats most likely the main change GL will make to the OT. Lots of holo conversations b/w Palpatine and Vader. I doubt we'll see him in person in the definative editions, though. Theres really no need for it, and it would take away from the dramatic effect in ROTJ. But he will be in the definative editions in holo form. otherwise, theres big discontinuity

ToMacco
I think changing the OT is BS. Lucas needs to stop messing with the classics to compensate his new trilogy.

yerssot
true!

King Jedi
He can do what he likes as long as when the DVD is released it has all the different versions on them. So we can choose.

Master Kadub
I think.....take that back.....I know that when GL was putting the OT together, he had no clue which direction he was going with what....and that is like all producers and directors of movies......

I think the OT is fine the way it is......if he were going to go into every characters background then he has a lot of back tracking to do.....

'Leave the OT the way it is..."

Ushgarak
I agree.

bigsef2
watching the movies in sequence will be odd if Palpatine isnt added to them. Rembering the trilogy BEFORE we saw the TPM, the emperor was only mentioned in ANH. In ESB, we saw him on a holo image. In ROTJ, we actually saw him and realized how big a threat he really was. Everything started small and got bigger. The reason for that is because GL didnt know where he was taking the story when he made ANH. Now that weve got a full blown prequel story, its going to be very odd getting small again and working back up to actually seeing the Emperor in ESB and ROTJ. Hell be in holo-form in the definative edition of ANH. I dont like tampering with the OT, i was happy with them before GL added all the stupid crap he did, with the exception of CG battle sequences, etc. But hes got to make some changes now to provide continuity. Unless he intends for future audiences to watch the OT first, then see the PT.

Ushgarak
That's probably the best way to see it. Otherwise he would have started with episode I first.

King Jedi
I'll be watching it OT to PT.

ToMacco
Lucas further tampering with the OT will only reinforce theories that he changes his original vision to compinaste for public feedback.

bigsef2
i think the movies should be watch sequentially, and that minor changes should be made for continuity purposes only. its an epic after all. the out of order thing is for the benefit of this generation and this generation only.

ToMacco
Do you go back and tamper with "The Godfather" to try to make it better? Do you go back and redo the tornado scene in "The Wizard of Oz" so it has better special effects?

Don't mess with the classics, which the OT is.

yerssot
Indeed,
GL always said that SW was more then three movies, well, he started with IV not I so leave it alone!
If he wants to temper with the OT, he had to start with EpI first!

Ushgarak
Yes, it's not just a generational thing. You really ARE meant to watch number IV first.

The new films are PREQUELS. That is a very definite term. You do not, for example, say that ANH is a prequel to ESB. It is simply the film that comes before.

Prequels are different. They are films set before but made AFTER, with the original films very much in mind. Hence., you should watch them afterwards as well.

bigsef2
yes, but has GL ever said that? No, what he HAS said is that its really one long 12 hour movie. Do you watch a 12 hour movie in the middle, and then go back to watch the beginning? The idea that we are meant to watch the OT first is purely because its what we all know and love. Were used to it and its blinding some people to the truth. The OT stands just fine on its own. It does. AFTER gl finished the original star wars, he realized he was writing the middle story. those were his words. later on, he realized hed just told the end story. he went back to tell the beginning. its a good dramatic thing to do. he could have made true sequels, but thats not what the story was about. GL is doing it this way because he started with ANH and then realized there was this whole groundwork behind his story, that would make great stories in themselves. The fact is, we have heard GL is adding some sort of additional, recently shot footage to the original trilogy. why else would he do that, other than to add continuity. theyre meant to be watched in numerical order.

Ushgarak
There is no serious word yet on whether he has shot new stuff for the OT yet.

bigsef2
but why would tvguide make it up?

ToMacco
TVGuide is basing that on speculation, probably.

I agree with you bigsef2, and with Ush. Ush is right when he says that they are prequels, to be watched after the OT. But McCallum has said that it is one 12 hour movie to be watched from start to finish.

I don't think Lucas should tamper with the OT, no matter how you watch the six films.

The fact that Palpatine isn't in the OT as much makes him more sinister. We see him a lot in the PT, because he has to do everything himself, because he's not as powerful. IN ANH, he has everyone working for him, so his mention is like "Who is this guy who has control over everyone?"

In ESB, we watch Vader, the ultimate badass BOWING to Palpatines hologram. Now we know Palpy is in control. Then he shows up in Jedi.

It's like Palpatine started from nothing in TPM, then became the ultimate bad guy, who didn't even need to show up but he could still run the universe.

bigsef2
I think we need to take away the Jabba scene from ANH, and substitute a Vader talking to the Emperor via hologram in its place.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.