Leia: Princess, Rebel, SISTER!?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

kittypuff
Other than elimating any question over who Leia will choose as a partner, and solving the riddle of the "OT" triangle....is there any GOOD reason for Leia to be Luke's sister? I mean, it seems to make no sense, and doesn't do anything to drive the story, except to make somethign ofr us to talk about. It doesn't help solve the battle between the rebels and the empire...it's just some sort of useless bit of trivia that was thrown in at the last minute to give Luke a reason to fight Vader at the end of ROTJ. But can someone tell me WHY it's important to make her his SISTER!? Is anybody else out there bewildered that GL would think that made a good plot point? I mean, what IS the point of her as his sister? To me, it's just silly....why can't Luke just meet people in the galaxy who happen to help him on his quest...why does he have to be related to most of them in some way? lol

kittypuff
PS....I also read in an interview with Peter Mayhew that CHewbacca is in the movie and "delivers some twins". For Goodness' Sake! If it turns out that he either helped birth, or helped hide ANY of the characters from the OT, I'll walk out of the movie! I SWEAR I will!

VengeanceGOD
Have fun with that. Then freak out on the streets until the Cops drag you away, so I can point and laugh.

Captain REX
Geez, what's wrong with the characters having a connection? I mean, Chewie helping birth the children would give a good reason to why Obi-Wan asked Chewie for passage in the Cantina.

I think it is good that they are all connected some way. With they weren't, Luke would know jack squat about everything.

Lyn
I agree. happy thumb up

yerssot
it's also to show that they thought Luke could fail, cause they had a back-up, namely his sister

that's like saying "yeah, go to the emperor, we know you probably won't make it and die a rather horrible death, but go, we have your sister of course"
cause they're a danger to Vader for getting him back to the light-side

Lyn
I loved that line....
"He was our last hope."
"No...there is another."

yerssot
yeah, that was the line I was aiming for smile
(actually, if I can be a nitpicker, it was "that boy was our last hope" ... sorry, geekness-attack messed)

kittypuff
NO, it's just silly to have her be his sister! UNLESS (I'm hoping!) it adds some plot points and mystery to episode three....you know, more sneaking around stuff to hide the secret sister....but honestly, the FACT she was his sister didn't help anything! And it's silly to think obi-wan would ask Chewie for passage becuase he helped birth Luke and Leia....wouldn't chewie have recognized him? Didn't he ask in Star wars...."where did you dig up that old fossil" quoted by han. Nah....it doesn't seem plausible, or even sensible. But then, I also didn't think we needed to meet boba fett either, but apparently I was wrong! good thing I'm not GL, becuase then you'd ALL be unhappy! lol I'd have none of this sister/brother, mother/father, midwife/pilot stuff! laughing out loud

VengeanceGOD
If you were GL, the movies would suck.

Besides, who says Chewie told Han everything?

yerssot
yeah, the only thing you can possibly think up to ruin that idea, is that chewie remembered the smell of OB1 (if that didn't change in 20 years)

Ushgarak
There is only one reason Leia is Luke's sister.

His sister was originally going to be a new character in the originally planned sequel trilogy. When GL decided not to do that, and to tie things up in Episode VI instead, he had no other way to tie off the 'Sister' thing- there was no time for a new good guy character and how many other female good guys did he have to pick from? Not many, for sure...

yerssot
mon mothma ...

kittypuff
OH USH! thank you so much! that answers it for me! I really didn't get it....but now I see. THanks! smile

kittypuff
Vengeance....My movies would NOT suck! hrumph! Seriously though....whether Chewie told Han or not, I think he would have recognized Obi-wan...but then I could be wrong....hmmmm. And as far as I know, smell doesn't change as people age (again I could be wrong!), however, certainly Chewie would have SMELLED the man? His sense of smell is evidently quite keen! But then, in all respects, it doesn't much matter what any of us say or think, the thing is done....it is over, and the movies havebeen made....just have to wait and hopethis final one isn't bad or disappointing.

Ushgarak
Np, Kitty...

Dirty Vader
No not realy, that wouldnt make sense.
rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!
Well you've said it Chewie, where did you dig up that old fossil?

not much recognition there....

Lyn
Fine!! NITPICKER!! mad

Joshing... stick out tongue

yerssot
told you I was annoying stick out tongue

Maikahyandowen
this way it's funnier when you go back and watch ep.5 when she kisses luke. ahhhhh! she's kissing her brother!! blink

xeous
No objections here, I'm from West Virginia.

Lyn
Quite... stick out tongue wink rolling on floor laughing Happy Dance laughing

Maikahyandowen
uh........ok

Dirty Vader
cool pic

Ushgarak
Incidentally, for those of you who may be wandering, before she became co-opted as a Jedi potential, Leia's original post ep. VI plot (note NOT post ROTJ plot, because once epiosde VI became ROTJ that finished this idea) was for her to follow in her Mother's footsteps as Luke followed (kinda!) in his father's by becoming Queen of her people (remembering at the time there was no need for her to have been adopted as in this plotline she was not Luke's sister).

Though quite who she was ruling, seeing as they got blown up, I dunno.

Maikahyandowen
were you referring to me Dirty Vader?

Darth Jello
well it would explain why chewie and obiwan are so buddie buddie in episode 4

Maikahyandowen
they aren't THAT buddy buddy

Dirty Vader
Yeah I was refering to your pic Maikayandowen.
Chewie and Obi-Wan arent at all buddy. As I've said before, if they were why would chewie growl to Han a remark about him that suggests he doeent know him.
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!
Well you've said it chewie, where did you dig up that old fossil?

Maikahyandowen
if chewie remembered him i 'm sure he would have mentioned that to Han.

yerssot
if he remembers him, why would he have to?

Maikahyandowen
so that han will be nice?? i dunno

Dirty Vader
JEEEEE!!!!! He doesent know him!!!

Maikahyandowen
thank you for that. it's about time someone said it!!!!!!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.