when does love become obsession?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Extol
I Love Lord Of The Rings, I have read some of the books, most of my friends have read all the books. but, seriously, no matter how great Lord Of The Rings is or how beatifully put together it is. It is still just a story. Some people take it over board, I have characters I like more than others, but they are just actors and some people act as if they are real as in the movies. anybody else know what I am talking about?

orlandoOYEA
yea but it is fun having obsessions, it gives you something to do, something to believe in. There is no taking it overboard with lotr

Kitoky
Fun = nonsense that people do
Obsession = An inspiration for livin' life.

orlandoOYEA
exactly kit. Lemme explain. Lotr for me takes my mind off things that suck parents arguing, school. Lotr is a get away, a safe haven if you will. Something you believe in, something you love.

Extol
your right, LOFTR gets my mind off that stuff, i didn't want to offend anyone, but seriously some people get hurt from obsessions. like if tomorrow you found out Orlando Bloom was beating his girl friend that would hurt.

orlandoOYEA
true, but i need something to believe in, ya know? Your not offending me by the way

Extol
cool, cauz some people might take it the wrong way. I don't like seeing people get hurt and I wanted to bring it up so people would realize that it is not real. but you do have good points, when I read or watch LOFTR i am in a different world, it is so awesome. I LOVE TOLKIEN. I've got the latest Issue of ChristianHistory and since Tolkien was a christian they did about 50 pages on him and Lord Of The Rings. I've learned a lot about when and where he wrote it and all his intentions.
Tolkien says he is a hobbit.

orlandoOYEA
Just because you are obsessed with something doesnt mean that you think its real. For instance i am obsessed with lotr in every sense of the word and i know that the Shire isnt out there or Sauron will never create a world of shadow. Its just something there ya know?

Extol
yea, i didn't mean real like that.
but i have a question.
Do you want to marry Orlando Bloom?If so, why?

orlandoOYEA
no, but i think hes a great person. believe me im not that obsessed. I know what i have a chance with and not. I know i will never be with him but its fun to have an intrest in someone

Extol
but im not asking could you marry him. Do you want to?

Kitoky
Ewwwwwww Orli eeeeeeewwwwwwwwww lol, I'm just kidding. He's a great guy, really open minded, and sweet.

orlandoOYEA
if i had the chance to meet him that would be great, i dunno if i would marry him without getting to know him first. I mean i know what hes like, but i dont KNOW him, got it

Extol
ok, see, your saying you should get to know him first, that is good. people who say they want to marry him and don't even know him are nuts.

PippinTook
Amen! big grin *sniff* That's so beautiful, orlando! *sniff*

Extol
**naive dumb blonde voice** yea like uh, i saw Orlando Bloom in an interview and he was like I don't act for the money and I was like, WOW! what a sensitive babe. So then and there I knew we were meant to be. *sigh*

orlandoOYEA
thank you. smile

orlandoOYEA
extol............*fumes*...........................

Kitoky
bold dots - ................. = extremely annoyance

PippinTook
*laughs* Ooh that's funny, Extol stick out tongue

Hmmm didn't I JUST get finished posting on some other chicks thread about Orlando? Hehehe....long one too....

I have nothing against Orli. He's a great guy and a great actor and he seems really nice. I'm just tired of girls talking about how they wanna marry him and how hot he is and all that crap....

Like you guys know how much I love Billy, of course, right? wink See, I think he's a wonderful actor and I love him to death (in the best possible way....and NOT because he's hot or anything you Orli fans! Haha) but I wouldn't want to MARRY him....Sure, I can dream about it, but I don't want to actually marry him ya know....Plus, he's 22 years older than me roll eyes (sarcastic) But it would be wicked if I could actually meet him someday....Just like how orlandoOYEA and everyone wants to meet Orli or Dom or Sean A. or someone, I would love to meet Billy. It'll, sadly, probably never happen, but MAYBE I will big grin Keep your hopes up, ya know! Just...uhmm...don't hope for Orli asking you to marry him or anything like that if you meet him roll eyes (sarcastic) Hahaha.

orlandoOYEA
Exactly Pippintook, you are the voice of wisdom in this idiot world. we love you

Kitoky
*claps* Bravo!

Extol
well, pip, im glad you appreciate my humor. some people get offended so easily, its just insecurity.

PippinTook
*blushes* Oh stop it, orlando embarrasment Thank you, though. I feel so loved!!!! love

orlandoOYEA
EXCUSE ME! *walks out*

orlandoOYEA
you should Pip your great

PippinTook
laughing out loud Wow Kit. Usually I'm the one clapping for everyone....didn't know people would clap for me hahaha.....

Yesh, I agree Extol stick out tongue People shouldn't get offended so easily...

Extol
i thought you walked out.

PippinTook
*sniff* Wow you guys! *sniff sniff* I lurve you guys so much! *huggles* love I feel so special!!

shaber
Obviously Sauron is deceased duhhhh wacko

I am very obsessive about everything. It is best to fixate on something whereby I can't injure myself.

Phoenix
It isn't OUT THERE... It's IN HERE... *taps head*

Phoenix
Books are like a haven to me. I can forget all my troubles for half an hour... big grin

orlandoOYEA
Exactly! It is in here *taps head and where heart is*

Camellia
Not real?? Erm, what do you mean? *panics, breathing rapid* Tell me they're joking! TELL ME!!!!!

pip-foot
yes it is. LOTR is a very wonderful haven to go to when i cant stand things like school, or my parents. i just pick up a book or turn on one of there movies, and i forget all of my troubles. its the most wonderful thing in the world. i dont know what i would do with out LOTR. it means the world to me *taps heat and heart* its in here it is. and i couldnt live without it

Camellia
But it IS real, right? Right??!?

I spoke to Pippin just yesterday!!!

pip-foot
course it's real!!!!!!!!! i talk to pippin2 every single day smile *pants* its definatly real smile

Camellia
Oh yes: *nods eagerly* It's definately...erm...real!

*slaps self for thinking filthy things*

orlandoOYEA
of course its real. For gods sake me and Arwen went shopping yesterday for Aragorns birthday preasent!

pip-foot
what happened to legolas??? havnt you seen him around. and tonit i am gonna go to a party with merry, sam, and pippin!

sauron
hey...if i wasnt obsessed i wouldnt have come here...and would not have met so many great people.....

also if i heard orlando bloom was beating his girl....it would hurt HIM...he would lose all his girl fans.....(99.99999999999999%)

pip-foot
yeah...me either smile

lol smile am I one of those great people???? (J/K)

sauron
but of course...just look at my *GASP*

be right back big grin *runs off to user control panel.....*

orlandoOYEA
LOOK! your right next to me!

pip-foot
YEAH! that makes me HAPPY smile *smiles* yous guys are on mine too! I just learned how to make it! and it works now!!!!!!!!!! smile ( it took me QUITE a long while smile )

orlandoOYEA
lol,YAYAYAYAYAYAYAY!

pip-foot
HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY AM I!!!!!! smile

PippinTook
What do you mean??? Partying with Pippin? *looks at Pippin suspiciously* Hmmm and just who gave you permission to go partying with MY husband?!?!?! mad *marches over to Pippin* WHAT WERE YOU DOING LAST NIGHT? AND YOU BETTER TELL ME THE TRUTH!! *watches Pippin sink in his chair...glares angrily at him* AND DON'T YOU DARE SAY YOU WEREN'T DOING ANYTHING!! DON'T THINK I DIDN'T HEAR YOU COME IN AT 3 THIS MORNING!! WHERE WERE YOU??? OUT WITH IT! NOW!

big grin Naw, I'm just playing with you, pip-foot. I know you wouldn't do anything with Pippin while I'm not looking confused laughing out loud ....But Pip WAS out til 3 last night...Did any of you guys see him anywhere perchance? *looks at Pippin as he smiles...guiltily...* He did something... What the f**k?

Camellia
Oooh, what are you getting him? I was planning n buying him a new tunic and matching boots so that he continue with his 'rangering' when he wants to - you know, to get away frm the stress of being the Ruler and all.....

smile I hope nobody forgot about his birthday! It is VERY important!!

big grin

Kitoky
Love is when you can talk about it in a human, mature behavior while Obsession is when you start to hyperventilate when you hear about it.

Camellia
Oh...can you love and obsess over sometihng at teh same time?confused

smile

Kitoky
......No not really.....

Camellia
*sulks* Fine then.....sad

Kitoky
Unless they're two diff. things, like if you Love Lord of the rings but you're Obsessed with Billy and Dom, those are two diff things.

Camellia
Oh, ok, yes, that's exactly itsmile

PippinTook
Hehe, that'd be me stick out tongue But I'm not exactly obsessed over LOTR or Billy(although some of you may think so wink ) or Dom or anything...Like Kit said, we just love them... a lot stick out tongue

Camellia
Indeedy! I find myself yearning for the whole thing to be real (which it is of course) and I so badly want to live in the Shire although it isn't real (yes, it is)

...sorry, had a Gollum moment there...

orlandoOYEA
By the way i got Aragorn a gift card to Kings n Rulers day spa. He needs the relaxation. All the stress from marrige life, ya know

Kitoky
Ya I know, but wouldn't it be better if it was the Nazgul's spa center? Minas Morgul has lovely green lighting wink

orlandoOYEA
Indeed it does. Indeed

Bloom4ever
i'm obsessed and I hate it like my new phrase: 'Obsession Kills'
i think i need special therapy to get over lotr

Extol
that is a very nice ring

Bloom4ever
yeah, it's mine dont you know? stick out tongue

Extol
sweet, does it function like the one ring or just look like it?

Kitoky
I doubt it'll work is Bloomi here can print it out and stick a hole through the middle for her finger stick out tongue.

Iirima
That hole might not be big nuff.

Iirima
But who am I to say? Do what ya want!!

Pirate_Girly
In my opinion, in all seriousness, an obsession becomes an obsession when....You take ONE look at orlando bloom.

Seriously..look at that pic..i know when i first saw him an obsession sparked..now i have 500 pictures of him

PippinTook
Oi! A new member! Welcome, Iirima! big grin

Iirima
OOH! Thanxies! *glomps* There are a million new members every day, but lots don't even post once. Me only subscribes when I plan 2 stay and post! XD

Hania
That's great Extol! And what's annoying is that soo many girls talk like that in my school!!!! As to replying to this thread. Obsession isn't that bad, as long as your not hurting yourself or the thing/people you are obsessed with. But being obsessed with lord of the rings, and other things, truly gives us something to do, and takes our mind off of other things, well, my mind anyway.

Kitoky
That only goes for 3/4 of the populations of teenage girls.

Pirate_Girly
LOL

Bloom4ever
not me, of course not me at all, i am not in the least bit obsessed over Orlando Bloom, nothing at all can prove that i am, i only think of him as an okay actor and a gorgeous man, i really honestly dont like him as more than a friend

well, maybe a little

Kitoky
laughing I knew that was comin' Bloomi.

Bloom4ever
*wait i meant dont like him more than an actor lol, not friend since he dont know me

Iirima
Brotherly love, though I don't know him and he's not my brother...*gasp* Really!..sorry, je suis slightly hYpurr.

Pirate_Girly
lol well we all have our opinions big grin and yes..hes a gorgeous man and well talented actor..GO ORLI!

Kitoky
Okie guys a bit off-subject.

Iirima
yoh...wait, not *too* far off, but maybe a little.

PippinTook
And, of course, that does not apply to me stick out tongue I adore Billy and only Billy...Well...Maybe Dom, too, but you know love You can't help but love 'em!

*gasp* And you know what?! K, well yesterday at school, me and my LOTR fanatical buddy, Ben, we talking about, you guessed it, LOTR stick out tongue and then we started talking about how most people only watch it for stupid Orlando (I'm sorry...he's not stupid...he's really great...I'm addressing the fangirls when I say stupid mad ) and one of my other friends comes up and says "Yeah, I only like LOTR because of Orlando Bloom!" and then another one of my friends didn't know who Pippin is *gasp* and another one didn't know who Gollum is!!!! So me and Ben got all mad at them...twas very funny...We started threatening to shoot them cause of that stick out tongue......Oops, sorry, WAY off topic...My point IS that too many people like Orli mad Everyone likes him ONLY for his looks....Stupid gorgeous guy....Arggg....Why not adore, oh I dunno, Billy or Dom??? You never hear ANYTHING about them!!! WHY?!?!? ARE THEY NOT BEAUTIFUL ENOUGH FOR YOU???? I THINK THEY ARE MUCH MORE BEAUTIFUL THAN ORLI! But that's just my opinion.....

OK I gotta go now...Buh bye all! *huggles*

Pirate_Girly
Billy Billy Oh Beautiful Billy! LOL *dont ask* I adore Billy but i havent quite sparked an obsession yet. *watch me i know i will someday* lol..I think he is gorgeous, and his voice and accent..omg it drives me wild i love it. As for dominic the same goes for him He is awesome.

Iirima
Billy is cool...WAAAAAY cool, I love him, Orli a little more, but neither one as much Craig Parker. He's Haldir. Yes, I'm crazy.

Pirate_Girly
Oh and btw, sorry for making 2 posts, but i just fully read your post above, PippinTook..I agree, orli is NOT stupid..nopes! I love him and i dont even really watch LOTR just for him, cause the movie itself is wonderful. And I dont like Orlando just for his looks, even though it REALLY seems that way..He is gorgeous, me love his looks, But there are other things that are noticable about him..for instance...his voice...its great and it makes me shudder when i hear it..One more example...His Hair..Its beautiful, and i havent seen any other hair like it LOL i love those curls

Iirima
course, not as Legolas, cuz he doesn't have any, but he looks quite cool when he looks regular...i.e. brown hair and eyes

Pirate_Girly
lol

Iirima
big grin

Kitoky
Here's a great pic of Orlando-

http://www.cns1.com/images/orlando_bloom.gif

Billy

http://www.canterburyelf.com/billyrotkla.jpg

Billy: They said...em...'When you get to Hithroel, you'll, em, be travelin' with someone called Orlando Bloom.'
Orlando: I just left my family behind, my friends and my life, feeling a bit teary, y'know, leavin' everything behind and my dog and everything.
Billy: I see this guy, y'know, and I thought, 'He looks....elf-like.'
Orlando: And this wee fellow walked over and uh..
Billy: "You wouldn't happen to be Orlando Bloom would ye?" and he went like "BILLY!"
Orlando: "Oh my god, you're a hobbit." And we had this huge embrace.

http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/amadrier/emp4.jpg

Iirima

Kitoky
I put up Billy to even it out.

darbanana
you forgot Elijah... but he's actually a LOT cuter in LOTR, so you really forgot Frodo

Kitoky
http://www.canterburyelf.com/bookreading3.jpg

http://www.canterburyelf.com/frodo28.jpg

Iirima

Iirima
Oh, yeah, and now 'Lij... he's kinda cool too.

darbanana
I'm actually NOT obsessed... actually, I am obsessed, am I? I just realized I am, that's a hard realization to handle, back to figuring out if I change my desktop back to the close up of Orlando will it make it more or less obsessed...

Kitoky
I think Elijah himself, is a really cool man. I mean he's an extraordinary young man, who is the youngest of cast which is amazing, because he has this energy but he was always tired during the shoot, but he could do these dramatic scenes that is really major, and him and Sean Astin, Brad Dourif had to immitate this english accent, and it's so amazing.

Iirima
Who was Brad Dourif? Yeah, I must admit that Orli can't act as well as the rest of them. Point off for him!

darbanana
the tiredness was needed for his part though, I always imagined Frodo at the end as being like me when I wake up on Monday morning, only like that all day and not staring at his radio wishing it would announce life being canceled

Kitoky
Brad was Grima Wormtongue-

Now Orlando, I don't think it was his fault that his performance weren't very good because he was given lines that didn't seem very important, so but though I think that Orlando should've read the books, and if he did, I have not heard about it, and he should've suggested some things about Legolas, and improve more about the character.

Kitoky
laughing you too?

darbanana
who doesn't? at least it's Friday tomorrow

Iirima
Thank ye, thank ye! big grin

He *should've* read the book. And...his acting was okay, I guess. Shall not ramble... XD

darbanana
I actually don't think he was all that bad, I think that a lot of people are like "Orlando is so beautiful..." and ignore his acting, but Legolas actually always seemed to me in the books as an elf and that's about it, like all of the hobbits, and Aragorn were pretty well developed, but I guess I'll re-read the books AGAIN happily, and try to figure Legolas out

Iirima
I think it said that Legolas did the least of all the Fellowship. But I could be wrong. I usually am. XD

Kaleanae
it is true

ash007
yeah the guy was just eye candy
i mean in the book he played more of a role and so did Gimli

Kitoky
Legolas, a Silvan Elf, who comes to Rivendell to warn Elrond/Mithrandir because Gollum had escaped their hold.

He eventually became part of the fellowship, and in the books, he wasn't given much lines in the Fellowship but his lines were usually of great knowledge because he HAS been living for over 2,000 years. In the two towers, he had a little bit more of a part but not much. Can't really determine on RotK....he had....like...no part.

Iirima
Eye candy...I like it!

darbanana
I think that Legolas and Gimli both didn't do as much as the others, Frodo and Sam certainly did huge amounts, and Aragorn, and Merry and Pippin with their whole battlefield heroism, I guess Boromir is one of the other members of the fellowship who doesn't do much, be he DID accept Aragorn as his king... they're all good

Iirima
except for that elephant thing... that was just weird. 2,000 years young!

darbanana
Legolas and Gimli do become friends and sort of renew the friendship that was once had between Elves and Dwarves, they also accompany Aragorn in the paths on the dead, they didn't do anything, but they were just very loyal to him and stuff...

Iirima
They are quite loyal, aren't they? And they go off to sea in the end...I like that part in the book.

darbanana
the oliphaunt (or however Tolkien spelled it) thing didn't happen in the books, there was one, but just Frodo/Sam/Gollum saw it... wasn't there? I may be wrong, correct me if I am

Kitoky
That wasn't in the books though, hun.

Kitoky
Frodo and Sam seeing the Oliphaunts coming to Mordor with the Harads were in the books, and it's a great moment because, they're out in this world in which they've never seen anything outside the Shire. All they've heard about were tales from Gandalf and here they're witnessing the Oliphaunts.

darbanana
I know that part, Sam recited some poem about an oliphaunt and then a little while later he sees one, I was just thinking that maybe there had been an oliphaunt in one of the battles and Legolas had killed it...

Iirima
*rolls eyes* I know THAT wasn't. I was movie-talking.

Kitoky
I think that Oliphaunt surfing thing with Legolas was too much, Orlando surfing down the stairs at Helm's Deep, he got away with that because yeah it's an original, but havin' that done again, didn't impress me.

darbanana
I actually never saw the first movie, I'm going to eventually, but I haven't gotten around to it yet... If I start mentioning everything that ever bothered me I'd go on forever, however

Iirima
It was amusing, but it only counts as one! stick out tongue

Kitoky
Be my guest.

The thing that gets me about FotR is that it was REALLY choppy.

Iirima
You HAVEN'T? I'm actually watching it right now? Shall I decribe it to you. or shall I het a box? XD Just kidding...

Pirate_Girly
*crazy gimli laugh* Lol I Loved that part in the movie, it was one of my favorites.

Iirima
My friends and I made a LotR opera, and we sing that part so much, and as loudly as we can, all together (ie, ear piercingly loud). It's hilarious. Anyway, kinda off topic, but oh well...

darbanana
*yawns* no thanks on the box, discribing it isn't worth it because the books will still be better... I will see it though, I heard the extended version is a lot better...

Iirima
EE is MUCH better.

Kitoky
FotR: EE did make the original cut seem much less choppy.

Iirima
Yoh, it did. Watched unxtended, and I was like, WHAT?? EE is the BEEEEEEST!

Kitoky
I especially loved the scene when Aragorn sings the lament of Luthien.

sauron
yeah i like that but i didnt like the way he explained it

luthien an elf maiden...who gave her love to beren a mortal man

what happened

she died

he said it all sadly as if it had happened to him...so un-book reading audiences will be like...aww his wife died or something...(trust me its what my ENTIRE family said)

now i know it could happen to him because of arwen and thats why he was sad but i mean come on.....

Iirima
I loved that part...unextended...grr...*hits unextended edition with a hammer*

Iirima
Ooh...sauron...did you just change yr sig?

Kitoky
I thought that was good...by that moment we know that elves are immortal because of Galadriel's dialogue in the prologue, and so to have an elf-maiden, Luthien, die. That's like 'audience: wow'.

Exa

PippinTook
I still haven't seen the FOTR EE sad But my dad's supposed to rent it sometime today...In about an hour big grin Whoop!

Oh sauron, I love your new sig! stick out tongue

Extol
i think im talking about an unhealthy obsession, you guys are talking about being fans of something. I mean "Dungeons and Dragons" obsession, you know the stories. guy plays dungeons and dragons for years, he lives with his mom, doesn't go to work or anything just plays DD all day, after years he kills himself. that kind of obsession, when it becomes your life. sorry for the confusion.

PippinTook
I thought you were gone, Extol. *sigh* These meaningless fights about nothing are so stupid and you're gonna get booted off here for good one day, Extol. You just wait. You'll see.

*mutters to self* stupid fights....argg....stupid people....

Plus, we aren't obsessed with LOTR. We are just greatly passionate about it. There is nothing wrong about it.

Extol
Pippin Took, I mean to cause no harm and I am accusing noone of being obsessed.

PippinTook
Sure. confused Cause no harm? That's sure what it seems like you're doing. And you've already accused plenty of us of being obsessed in other threads.

Extol
hey that was my little brother and I already explain that in page 180 something.

Kitoky
.................Let's just drop it. smile Welcome back Extol.

Extol
hey, thanks.

Kitoky
Now since the subject of obsession seems to be revolving around Orlando and Billy, which do you prefer?

PippinTook
Who said anything about them, Kit? confused Eh, I gotta go. Welcome back, Extol. Sorry for jumping on you a few minutes ago. I'm tired. So I'm going to bed. Buh bye all!

cheeky munkey
ORLANDO!!!!!!! love he is so...mmmmm. hehe lol.... how bout u?

Kitoky
I prefer neither big grin Bean's my style.

Pirate_Girly
I prefer Good Olllllll Orlando! Woohoo..cant beat that. But hey..dont get me wrong..billy's up there on thelist too..yummy

Kitoky
And what about Vig?

Pirate_Girly
Of course of course!!!!!!!! And Dominic and Lij!!! Stupid me forgot. *sigh* but ya know..they asked which i would pick billy or orli big grinbig grinbig grinbig grin sad

Kitoky
Ye, but still, ya can't really choose....

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>