Interesting...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

shadowy_blue
Hey guys! I just thought I have to share. I don't think this topic will consume 2 or more pages but, yeah...I just thought it's interesting.

In ROTK, I noticed a lot of the Orcs throughout the movie are carrying shields that are shaped like crescents. This was confusing me for a while until I remembered that they came from Minas Morgul, which was once called Minas Ithil before the Witch King and Necromancer's armies from Dol Guldur laid siege on the city. Minas Ithil was also known as "The Tower of the Rising Moon". Just thought that it a really cool thing to have the orcs have moon shaped shields.

Also, at Aragorn's coronation, there are several banners amongst the people. One of the banners have the Gondorian Tree and Stars, (and we already know what it means) and one of them has a sun, one has a swan, and one has a moon. Could be a nod to the fact that Gondor now controls both Minas Ithil/Minas Morgul and Minas Anor/ Minas Tirith (which is the "Tower of the Setting Sun"wink

Also the banner with the swan is Dol Amroth's. So yeah...even though we didn't see Prince Imrahil, there's still a nod for him.

Still, maybe another possible reason why the orcs are using crescent shaped shields, is for some sort of mockery, like:

"Hahehahahe!! We took Minas Ithil about 1017 years ago, and now we're gonna take Minas Tirith!!! Bwahahahehehehahaha!!!"

Thanks for reading through. big grin

Kitoky
Yes the detail that the crew placed into this production was phenomenal and very Tolkienish.

LOTRLUVR
Such a fun word,Tolkeinish....pile sry just testing smilies

shadowy_blue
^ Only, the i in Tolkien comes first before the e. wink Sorry, just had to. LOL. big grin

Exa
big grin

Hm that thing with the shapes of the shields is cool...
Does anyone have a pic of one of these banners in Minas Tirith? Im an absolute fan of all the banners of middleearth... also those in the film.

shadowy_blue
Unfortunately, I've been looking all over the web for screencaps but I can't find any..sad I've just seen them when I watched the movie over and over.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.