Oscar Nominees List Out

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Raz
Full list here: http://www.killermovies.com/o/oscars/articles/3577.html

Quick summary:

The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King - 11
Master and Commander - 10
Cold Mountain - 7
Seabiscuit - 7
Mystic River - 6
Matrix Movies - 0

badkittykitty
yes! 11 for rotk,and charlise theron got nominated for best actress from 'monster' my faith might be restored in the oscars now! smile

SilverFighter
What?? Johnny Depp got nominated for best actor??? BOOOOO!!! But anyways, I'm happy for ROTK gettin all those nominations it deserves it all the way!!

Stewie is God
i have to admit that i was surprised when Johnny got nominated...but he did have 1 hell of a preformence....i mean i felt moved.....im so happy for Charlize Theron..shes incredible..and i really wanna see "Lost in Translation" sweep the Oscars

The One Himself
Who cares for Matrix movies? Happy Dance City Of God Happy Dance Happy Dance City Of God Happy Dance Happy Dance City Of God Happy Dance Happy Dance City Of God Happy Dance Happy Dance City Of God Happy Dance

Fire
Let's help Raz a bit (cause he left out some good movies :P)

The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King - 11
Master and Commander - 10
Cold Mountain - 7
Seabiscuit - 7
Mystic River - 6
Pirates of the Caribbean - 5
Finding Nemo - 4
The Last Samurai - 4
Lost in Translation - 3
TheTriplets of Belleville - 1 (EVEN A BELGIAN CARTOON GOT MORE THAN THE MATRIX NARF)
Matrix Movies - 0

SilverFighter
I think is unfair that the Matrix sequels weren't nominated for best Visual Effects. Sure, I didn't like Reloaded but it did had some oustanding and excellent cgi effects. So I think the judges made a mistake not nominating the Matrix sequels.

astrid133
I'm surprised Nicole Kidman wasn't up for cold mountain!

Fire
cgi was good but it didnt beat

The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World
Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl

Kes
Wasnt City of God up for best foreign movie last year? blink
Weird.

Raz
Nope. Full awards for the film here: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0317248/awards

yerssot
I never liked the oscars, but not nominating the matrix movies shows they at least have SOME intelligence left, people go yapping about it having great FX, well, I didn't saw the last one cause the effects in the second one were just VERY POORLY down, you could immediatly see what was fake and what not!

I really hope Depp won't win, cause that movie was nice from an entertaining point of view but definitly not from a more serious point which I think the oscars should be. (can someone also explain why POTC got selected in make-up? or for that matter in all the other sections? (well, pass on the music, cause I didn't pay much attention to that)

For best animated movie I would certainly take Finding Nemo (haven't seen the other ones, planning on seeing Brother Bear), cause it was one of the best movies I saw, really heart-warming

The One Himself
No..It was not even nominated... sad

Myth
No Kill Bill? GOD DAMN IT!

BackFire
Kill Bill couldn't have been nominated as it's not complete, look for it in next years list.

The list overall is pretty good, some surprises there, especially lost in translation.

I must say I'm very happy, but not very surprised that the matrix sequels weren't nominated, glad to see bad movies getting the shoulder despite being popular.

jetzhere101
its official i now hate the oscars as they did not nominate the matrix sequels for the visual fx.....they do deserve a nomination to say the least.sad

glenn
Theres really no contest. It will either be Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King or Mystic River.

SilverFighter
I still think that the Matrix sequels should have been nominated for great FX. Forget the storyline or the plot holes the W brothers did a good job with the FX. The POTC visual effects weren't very impresive compare to Reloaded (which I didn't like as a sequel).

astrid133
I take it the ceremony will be all glitz again after last years 'dress down' because of the war. Cue ezpensive dresses and lots of bling bling tee hee

Fire
I wonder wether or not lost in translation is worth the hasle, but if the girl is as good as her daddy than it should be good

astrid133
I really want to see 'Girl with the pearl earring' it's supposed to be fab

alic88
LMAO! matrix not getting nominated?! kinda surprising, but still good. 1 thing it should have gotten nominated for best cgi effects( if there is an award 4 that)

Fire
it falls under visual effects the nominated movies for that one are
ROTK
M&C
POTC

Who ALL BEAT matrix reloaded and revo

silver_tears
that article is very nicely done yes

Kes
It should have been nominated last year, not this year.

Raz
It was released 17 January 2003 in the US, so it qualifies for this year.

Kes
It doesnt matter when it was released in the U.S. , most movies presented/nominated for foreign movies dont even come out in the U.S.
I believe it was given to the Academy last year and was ignored...I think I saw it in an interview.

Dario Argento
Why do you care so much about Oscars? It is boring. They only nominate the big and safe movies, they don't have any balls.

astrid133
You do have a point there.
Theres so many films that a brilliant...can any one remember when a comedy won best film....few and far between wink

Raz
Actually that's not true. Theres a strict requirement:
More here: http://www.killermovies.com/o/oscars/articles/3472.html

Kes
Thats best film, City of God is a foreign movie.

They ignored it last year.

Kes
Shakespeare in love is a comedy, a romantic comedy, and won best movie...and actress sick It didnt even come close to deserving either!
Usually comedies tend to suck messed But this year you have Johnny Depp and Diane Keaton, both nominated for comedies.
As good as it gets.....it was nominated for best picture...won actor/actress.

Raz
It wasn't eligible for last years oscars because it wasn't released until January 2003.

For last years oscars it would have to have been released sometime in 2002 in San Francisco.

Kes
You dont understand what I'm saying, its a foreign movie that came out in 2002. It would be presented at the Oscars as a foreign movie...and
look what I found at imdb:
USA 31 August 2002 (Telluride Film Festival)
USA 6 October 2002 (Chicago International Film Festival)
USA 14 November 2002 (AFI Film Festival)
but regardless it does not need to come out in the US to be at the Oscars has a foreign movie. So if its good enough for all these nominations it was good enough to be up for best foreign last year...they ignored it.

The One Himself
Can I ask you thing? embarrasment Have you ever watched the movie? Just asking... confused

Kes
Actually no, I want to...all my friends say its great.Just have to wait for somebody to lend it to me embarrasment

Seraph

Lord Soth
Lord of the Rings, if everything goes as planned. If not...lynch mob

VengeanceGOD
LOTR had best be winning Best Picture. Otherwise, we will burn the Academy down with our Righteous Wrath.

I'll probably root for Johnny as well.

Cinemaddiction
As long as "Lost in Translation" doesn't win anything, it will all be fine. I, too, I am shooting for a Rings sweep, though.

Kaleanae
City of God

Kaleanae
I want ROTK to win! But the people from the oscars are weird..

plenTpak52
I think Big Fish should at least be nominated. And Uma Thurman should be nominated for Kill Bill. She was awesome in that movie.

Too late now, though

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.