what are the best scary movies

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Gemmy619
I love scary movies but i find it hard to find 1 that actually scares me i always watch them late at night with all the lights out in total darkness but still most just dont scare me sad does any1 know of a movie to make me jump outa my skin? fear

astrid133
The original Japanese Ring series is good. Audition is fab too..

Kes
Moving to Horror movies
moving--moved

BackFire
Texas Chainsaw Massacre (the original, not the crappy remake)

The Shining.

Gemmy619
cool i know ive seen 1 of them but im not sure which, they lived underground in like caves or mine tunnels is that the 1 ur on about or is that a crappy remake cos which ever it was it made me laugh most the time laughing and the shining is good but ive seen it 2 many times to be scared of it now

amlap
the only scary movie that made me jump,EVER, is child's play. that ****ing chucky... but of course i was only 6 or so.

by the way, its my first post! im the new guy

movieman
It's half horror, half comedy, but I'd have to go with RE-ANIMATOR. The movie is ****ing awesome.

wicker_man
To be perfectly honest there has not been one film that has truly scared me however i have to say The Original Texas Chainsaw Massacre is worth a view particularly for Leatherfaces entrance.

wicker_man
Welcome, Enjoy posting around smile

Evil Dead
Gemmy619..............that is The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 that you speak of. It is a farse of a horror movie at best. It is nothing like the original.

I have to agree with Texas Chainsaw and the Shining.......great films. I also suggest The Amityville Horror..............

Gemmy619
ok cool ill check them out thanx guys thumb up smile
if u know of any more plz let me know

wicker_man
Agreed the Amityville Horror is a classic and pretty chilling to boot.

Cowboyography
when u get rolling and start looking for some really intense stuff, check out Last house on the Left(Wes Craven) Henry, and of course Suspiria(i hate barb wire so much!!)
these are not the best movies for first time horror viewers however once you can stomach them they truly are frightning!!!

andyF1
i remember seeing jaws when i was about 8 on the big screen, the scene when the head comes out the boat. i nearly died.

i can also remember a woodywoodpecker cartoon on before it, scary stuff!

shagmobile
the best scary movie i have ever seen is flash gordon. The horrible acting and shatty specialfx made this the scarriest movies ive ever seen

Gemmy619
laughing

BackFire
Also Night of the Living dead, Dawn of the Dead, Henry - Portrait of a Serial Killer, 28 Days Later, Dog Soldiers, The Thing, Evil Dead, Day of the Dead, In the Mouth of Madness, and Candyman.

All those are required viewings for anything horror fan.

Nastybutlerbob
I repeat myself yet again.

AUGUST UNDERGROUND and AUgUST UNDERGROUND MORDUM

If you are not frightened and disgutsted out of your mmind then you are completely inhuman and should Join Toe Tag pictures, the company responsible.

You can order them by contacting Fred Vogel, [email protected]

samhain
An American werewolf in London. Got the 2 disc set yesterday, it's brilliant!

Jason420
yes it is

Lord Soth
Scream is ingeniously done, a must have (my birthday's in a week, I'm hopeful....)

venomfan
scream thumb up

Gemmy619
scream is nowhere near the kinda scary im talking about i wouldnt even call scream a lil scary well not 4 me anyway no thumb down

Gemmy619
happybday

venomfan
well I do stand by it being a original concept"the first one anyhow" and was done very well.

if you want to scare yourself silly though, aside all the classics previously mentioned, i suggest you see Silver Bullet for the first time. then go try and walk around in a park at about 1:am. not fun

tabby999
its out in the discount shop sales bins for $10 over here (like $7 your money)

Jason420
i choose freddy vs jason and all friday the 13th (except new beginning) and 1st NOES and 1-2 Halloween Dog Soldiers and TCM remake

Striel
The Amityville Horror, The Shining, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Night of the Living Dead, Event Horizon

h0ck3yh0rr0r
age of 5 about- i was ****ing scared of Leprechaun

now- i haven't seen a scary movie YET. but i've seen many movies which have things poping and jumping out of no where. just a shock but no scare lol smile

Jason420
and i choose She-Creature

reander
Scream isn't scary after the first time you watch it.

I thought Urban legends was scary the first time i saw that. I heard the Japanese version of the ring is wet yourself scary. But i've never seen a really scary movie.

Lord Soth
. . . . . . . . .Scream is awesome

Lord_Andres
disagree on that one Soth, Blair Witch on the other and is very scary movie or The Fog

Gemmy619
i love the blair witch thats the kinda thing that scares me. Its kinda like the t.v show we have in the UK called Most Haunted which is great, only they go looking for ghosts ghost2 and its real stick out tongue

House on haunted hill kinda freaked me out, but im not really big on the horror films.

if you're looking for an all round extreme film, try ichi the killer.

SlipknoT
tcm,anoes,friday the 13th series,halloween

movie_god
Ok look, what you need is some real good surround sound, really helps.

The first time I saw Silence of the lambs, I was scared, not because I thought the film was scary, it was just lectors stare.

Cinemaddiction
Gotta say that none of the aforementioned movies would scare me, especially "Candyman" and "Amityville". Couple more overrated, good for their time, flicks.

I tend to find that movies that could be based in reality are more disturbing. And by that, I don't mean Quentin Tarrantino, I mean Deer Hunter, Deliverance, 8mm, Hannibal, Cannibal Holocaust, Helter Skelter, Schindler's List even.

wicker_man
If those are the type of films that scare you might i suggest Threads although a little dated by todays standards its still pretty chilling never the less.

glenn
Scream

papabeard
Check out MY LITTLE EYE, turn off the lights and turn up the volume this film will scare the SH*T out of you , guaranteed!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MOOSE AND SQUIRREL FOREVER

cookiessurewere
No offense to you guys but a lot of your movies are kinda lame by today's standards

Some of the one's that kinda scared me and that i'd recommend were the japanese Ringu coz the well scene was so much scarier and it also had other freaky scenes not seen in The Ring plus its just an overall good movie.

Ring 0 Birthday was kind of boring most of the way through but one of the last scenes in that movie with Sadako walking down that hallway just freaked me out and that scene sticks in my mind and even got me freaked when i watched it the next day in broad daylight with people in the room. Chack out my avator for a pic from the movie

Juon is also a Japanese movie that's scary there are a few genuinely freaky moments that will have you looking around the room to make sure that your alone and theres nothing on the ceiling or in the bed

Also the Korean movie Tale of two sisters has some scary bits in it especially at the end. No spoilers here though you gotta see the movie to find out

And yes i know all of these movies are foreign and it can sometimes be a pain to read subtitles but hey you gotta admit asians make the scariest films

Shmoo
I don't think Scream is really a horror movie, I think its more of a comedy. I have the dvd trilogy with special bonus features dvd and i've watched all 3 of them about a million times. I can't recommend any movies cuz it seems that I can never pick out the good ones at the movie store so I made a list out of what you guys have posted so now i have some idea what to look for!! so thank you!

Shmoo
I typed in supernatural in tvguide search and Amityville Horror is on tonight on AMC 7 central-just thought i'de let ya know!

Baylin
Films that make me jump are the best for me. I find the gory ones tend to make me laugh...

Lord Soth
You're right, Scream isn't horror, but it isn't comedy, either. Wes Craven himself said it was a thriller ( don't really know what the difference between thriller and horror is, but o well)

eleveninches
Texas chainsaw massacre rules them all

babe182
the scaryiest movie i have ever seen in my life has 2 be... 'What lies Beneth'.. that movie scared me soooo much....

prig13
You guys didn't even mention the three scarriest films EVER!
1. Poltergeist.
2. The Grudge.
3. Fried Green Tomatos.

Oh yeah. I must concur; Ringu is really good.

Wolfie
Texas Chainsaw Massacre (the original)
Hellraiser
ANOES

Scream... though not scary at all, a must-see for horror fans IMO

§nakehead
The orginal Exorcist was as scary as Sh!t. For some reason Spirtiual horrors scare me the most.

jnolan
i tottally with you on that scarpa, im catholic always have been, and always been into religion so knowing the world we live in today, spiritual horror has more of a that could really happen factor, well..... sort of

Darth_Big_Boy
The only movie to actually creep me out and scare me as a kid was The Shining. I know alot of people will disagree but it made me shiver as a child. wink

Cinemaddiction
Nope. Evil Dead is gaagaa for it still. I haven't seen it in forvever, personally.

Scarpa
The Amityville Horror
Stephen Kings Silver bullet

Scarpa
yeah good point

dark1365
The Ring, The Grudge, Gothika, Darkness Falls.

dark1365
Exorcist! A classic.

Pandemoniac
aaah no!

Pandemoniac
Aah no! Gothika had it's moments, but it nowhere near lived out it's expectations. Cleary another failed atempt by darkcastle to 're-envoke' the genre of horror, as they so baldly describe their quest in Hollywood.
And not to mention Darkness Falls, oooh shit that was one humongous load of crap! There are whole treads here devoted on cursing that movie straight to hell.
For the better scares go back to the 80'ies classicks, as NOES, the Dead series, the Exorcist. Hellraiser has great style, just as Evil Dead and The Texas Chainsaw Massacre. Really scary movies are very rare nonetheless, and I can only remember being truly scared by movies such as Jaws at a young age.

balrog05z
i don't really get scared by movies anymore cause i know there not real but the only time i ve been scared while wacthing a movie iwas wathing scream you know when the girl tries to get out the garage door through the cat flap my sister jumped onto me and scared me half to death thats all

Azrael01
I say Blair Witch, House on Haunted Hill, Noes 1st and Last, Cannibal Holucaust not really scary but will make you avoid the jungle, In the Mouth of Madness, Fear dot com is good midnight flick and videodrome eventhough it is more weird than scary. The people under the stairs is good too and the cell

uglyman
you can never go past the exorcist best horror film ever made Linda Blair is amazing

ALIENFAN89
There are alot of great horor movies out there and alot of shit.
But the scariest for me would be ALIEN that chestburster scene made me piss my pants(no joke)or CandyMan that movie was ****in TRIPPY!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.