Hob Goblin

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Zephonim
I just wanted to make sure that I'm not way off base on this. I have always been under the impression that Hob Goblin was never that big. He was just kind of a random guy who Osborn hired to kill King Pin before the Green Goblin was aroud. He wasn't what Harry called himself when he donned the Goglin gear. Please someone let me know if I am way off base on this.

venomfan
there is actualy like 5 of em, but here is what i found
Background
For many years, the original Hobgoblin was believed to have been Ned Leeds, who died in East Germany. The story which identified Ned as the Hobgoblin was written after the departure of the character's creator, Roger Stern. After more than a decade, Stern finally had the chance to reveal the truth. The Hobgoblin was none other than Roderick Kingsley, one of the hot suspects for the role at the time of the original stories.
A fashion designer who used questionable and ruthless business practices, Roderick developed a financial empire that reached far beyond the fashion industry. Unsatisfied with conventional methods of doing business, Roderick searched for and found the original Goblin formula. After modifying the formula in a manner that he hoped would avoid the insanity side effect, he found that it gave him strength nearly equivalent to that of his arch-enemy, Spider-Man.

As the Hobgoblin, Roderick went on a black-mail binge meant to cripple his major competitors. After a fight with Spider-Man left everyone assuming he had drowned, Roderick decided that the direct criminal approach wasn't for him. He brainwashed the news reporter Ned Leeds into thinking he was the Hobgoblin, and used Leeds as a puppet. Under Kingsley's direction, Leeds helped Richard Fisk become the Rose and aided Fisk during the Gang Wars that almost destroyed New York City. Becoming bored with being a behind-the-scenes mastermind, and finding that Leeds was increasingly uncontrollable, Kingsley leaked word that Leeds was the Hobgoblin. After Leeds was murdered, Roderick left his brother Daniel in charge of the Kingsley business and retired to Europe for many years.

Although at first amused that the Hobgoblin identity was taken over by another criminal, Jason Macendale, Kingsley became annoyed with Macendale when Jason brought unwanted publicity with the announcement that Ned Leeds was the original Hobgoblin. At the time, the public at large had always assumed that only one person had ever been the Hobgoblin; the resulting uproar threatened to uncover the unsavoury business practices of Kingsley's coroporation. Returning from Europe, Kingsley murdered Macendale and again assumed the Hobgoblin identity. Determined sleuthing by Ned Leeds' widow Betty Brant uncovered Kingsley's trail. With the help of Spider-Man, she discovered the secret of the Kingsley brothers and cleared the name of her late husband. Kingsley was defeated by Spider-Man and sent to prison.

With the return of Norman Osborn, Kingsley leaked the word of having proof that Norman was the original Green Goblin - one surviving journal. This was a guise to make Norman remove him from jail. Once out, it didn't take much time for Norman to realize Kingsley's intentions, and they fought. The result was a tie, as they both escaped, and they both won something with it: Osborn took over Kingsley's corporation, and Kingsley still mantained some bank accounts that Norman wasn't aware of, so he escaped to the Caribbean. He's presumed to still be there, enjoying the sun, but we can expect the return of the Hobgoblin one day.

venomfan
and Appearance
Height: Unknown
Weight: Unknown
Eyes: Blue or gray, depending on who is doing the coloring.
Hair: White
Features: May actually be his older, balding brother impersonating him; you always want to tug on the hair and see if there's a hairpiece involved!

Summary
Created By: Roger Stern, John Romita, Jr., John Romita, Sr.
Current Aliases: None
Former Aliases: None, although he was often impersonated by his brother Daniel
Dual Identity: Yes
Current Occupation: Convicted Criminal
Former Occupation: Fashion Designer, Corporate Head
Citizenship: U.S.
Legal Status: Criminal record
Place of Birth: U.S.
Marital Status: Single
Known Relatives: Daniel Kingsley, older brother
Known Confidants: Just Daniel, who didn't always appreciate it!
Known Allies: Ned Leeds, under brainwashing. Donovan (Hobgoblin II). The Rose, under the assumption he was dealing with Ned Leeds.
Major Enemies: Spider-Man, Betty Brant
Usual Bases: New York City
Former Bases: None
Current Groups: None
Former Groups: None
Education: College

Powers & Paraphenalia
Strength Level: "Nearly" that of Spider-Man's.
Powers: None other than super-human strength.
Abilities: The ability to maintain his balance while riding that glider thingy (hey, that always impressed me!)
Equipment: The vertical-thrust goblin glider, which was powered by a miniature turbo-fan. It could go up to 90 miles per hour and support 400 pounds.
Weapons: Jack O'Lantern bombs, razor-edged bat-wings, and gloves capable of conducting pulses of electricity upwards of 10,000 volts.
Limitations: Over-confidence. And an unshakable belief in his own sanity when he was clearly tottering on the edge of insanity.

Zephonim
Thanks, I just get comfused becasue it seems that people think he was such a huge character. Some of the posts even sound like people think he was Harry after his Dad died.

venomfan
no prob

spider01
WHO IS THE HOB GOBLIN?

SpyCspider
I think a lot of people are confused because the 90s Animated Series made the Hobgoblin come before the Green Goblin. And he didn't have supernatural strength while Norman Osborn did. Dont' follow the cartoon...the real stories are in the comics.

Harry was never the Hobgoblin.

As for who he is, spider01...um, scroll up and read what was just posted. Visually, he's yellow, orange, and blue while the green goblin's purple and green. They are pretty similar in weaponry and transporation.

Red Superfly
LOADS of my friends keep saying "doesn't Harry become the Hobgoblin?" or things like that, and I'm always having to set the record straight.

BUT, for the purpose of the movie, Harry as the Hobgoblin would be a welcome change.

It's well known that Harrys Green Goblin was stupid, and the Hobgoblin's true identity was always a case of "why should I care who he is?".

The animated series really confuses people for sure when it comes to the Green Goblin and the Hob Goblin. People should know this by now, I mean, how many times have we seen those ancient sixties Spiderman comics with the Green Goblin? Anything with Hobgoblin in LOOKS more modern anyway, I'm surprised people still get confused over that.

But like I said, for the purpose of the movies, Hobby Harry would be a good idea. For me anyway. Although, I'd rather see The Lizard, Venom and The Scorpion before Hobgoblin.

Austinzilla
the 90's cartoon never said that! i saw in the cartoon harry becaome the second green goblin, and they said the original hobgoblin was George Hill, and that the second as Jason Macendale who tricked Felicia Hardy into marrying him and later found out he was the second hobgoblin

Red Superfly
He meant the cartoon created confusion over the Hobgoblins origin. In the cartoon the Green Goblin formula changed the stashed Hobgoblin suit into a green colour. Lame I know, but its obvious it created the confusion.

I was watching the eps the other day, i have every single Spiderman 90's episode stored on two DVDs. Superb.

Stormy Day
Is it actually official that harry will become the hob goblin in the movies?

Spiderman_RJ
no hell be the second goblin who ever came with that, there no indicies he would trade GG for HG. he wants to revenge his father and fear his enemy so he defenetely WILL BE the new GG

Stormy Day
OH ok its just I couldnt remember anyone official really saying he was gonna be the hob goblin.

SpyCspider
yea for movie purposes and the novelty of a new villain, Harry as Hobby would be kinda cool...it'll kind of tie the whole story together. But like Red Superfly said, I'd prefer other classic villains first....and chances are the franchises will burn out before it ever gets there...

I don't remember the 90s Animated Series saying anything about George Hill (???). I have the entire series on tape as well and i only remember Hobby revealing himself as Jason Phillips Macendale to Felicia. And that was the end of him...wut a crappy way for a tough villain in the early seasons to go (though he did come back in I Really, Really, Really Hate Clones).

Stormy Day
EDIT

Austinzilla
haha you got an edit!!

SpyCspider
hehe..wut does that mean btw? That you post some flaming inappropriate message? laughing out loud

Stormy Day
shifty

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.