Dead Marshes

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

orlandoOYEA
Quick question. Are the dead marshes the place where the battle where Sauron was defeated (by Isildur) took place?

All right i g2g go now, see you all a lil later

shadowy_blue
Partly yes, partly no. big grin

The Battle of Dagorlad (it is a battle part of the War of the Last Alliance) was supposed to be held in the Slopes of Mordor but some of the soldiers (Elves, Men, and Orcs) were strayed and were lost in the Marshes. Thousands died but Sauron was defeated and fled back to Barad-dur.

After several years, there was another battle that took place and this finally brought Sauron down when Isildur cut his Ring from his finger. This is the event that we saw in the FOTR prologue.

The movie just made it like a big, huge event that happened all at the same time, but in the book, it took some years before an event happened after another.

Exa might give you a more detailed answer in this. big grin

Bar-en-Danwedh
i'm not needed here...

i'll go impress some stranger on the street.

Exa

shaber
I got the impression that the corpses were illusions. Gollum tried to snack on them sick but discovered that they could not be reached or touched, he tells Frodo and Sam, "only (?shapes) to see perhaps, not touch."

The narrator (Tolkein) actually said that Sauron created the illusions in the Third age as a defense around Mordor. Faramir said that they were illusions of Sauron's craft too. The phantasm of Boromir which Faramir saw was not an illusion of Sauron. Faramir makes the contrast, that "(Sauron's) works always fill the heart with loathing," whereas on seeing the illusion of Boromir he was just distressed, though in a healthy way. sad

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.