is harry a half blood or pure blood

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

raven guardia
My question is,.......is harry potter a half blood or pure blood?......the reason I'm not sure is because I thought I read in one of the books that he was a half blood, but He his mom and dad were both a wizard and a witch. (even though is mom had muggle parents which made her a mud blood) would that still make harry a pure blood because his mom still had magical powers........because I thought in order to be half boold you have to have one muggle parent and one magical parent.

Tela<3sHaldir
He's a pureblood

Kai_Haider
but he's mom was a mudblood

megajoint
I'm not sure but I think because his grandparents from his mather side were muggles he is half blood
I read some argument once about this subject
but I stand firm of my opinion
because all this blood differences start with the ancestors

raven guardia
but doen't it makes more sense for him to be a pure blood because he still has two magical parents.?

megajoint
If both his parents were a pure blood than he is truly pure blood
lily's blood is not pure at all (muggleborn!)

Kai_Haider
Yeah Sirus said that pretty much all pures are related because there's becoming so few of them.

raven guardia
yeah I know that megajoint......but put it this way

muggle + witch or wizard = half blood

wizard/witch + wizard/witch= pure blood

even though lily was a mud blood she still had magic and when she had harry with james I believe he would be pure blood because he has to magical parents.......finnagin (sp) is a half blood because his mom is a witch and is dad is a muggle.....so there for wouldnt two magic parents make their child a pure blood?

Tela<3sHaldir
yep

Kai_Haider
Nope, It's about ancestory like megajoint said.

Kai_Haider
If I had my book I'ld give ya some quotes

raven guardia
oh,....thats okay I belive you kai smile .........I was just not sure what harry was.

shaber
Harry is a mongrel, a half blood. The issue is not magic powers. It is blood. The pureblood wizards are all one family. The muggles, or the human race, are a totally different race. Harry is half human, for his mother was a mud blood, a human witch. Harry is HALF blood.

Kai_Haider
Yep

raven guardia
okay.....

hhhhr
i have seen it mentioned in the books (don't ask me where or i have to read all of them again) that someone called him halfblood

pixie1
if he had a child with a pure blood witch would the child be pure blood or half blood?

hhhhr
well if the child is not a squib it can be a pureblood i guess

pixie1
wot about 2 squibs both from pure blooded familys that have a magical child is the child still a pure blood?

hhhhr
i think it should be a pure blood

babeyx
hes definatly a pureblood mate xx

megajoint
I agree with u about the squib parents issue.
and mybe a child that is the three in the line of one half blood witch/wizard is still called half blood. the the next (4) will be pureblood
or it untill no one remember your half bloodness ancestors.

I thought of it because it was like that with jews and hitler (up till 3 lineage still called a jew no metter his religion but his blood)
and harry potter his known for his similareties to the WWII

furious_socks
i dont think you can classify harry he's very special wink

Member.
HP is pure blood. pureblood = wizard/witch parents.

shaber
Definitely, because its ancestry would be pure ie it would be a member of the pureblood family. Mudbloods are no different from Muggles EXCEPT for being more powerful. They are MORE a threat to the pure bloods because as well as being unrelated and untrustworthy, they could take them on and overthrow them.

shaber
Yes! Voldemort admits to being a halfblood and says on both Harry and he, "(we are) both HALF-bloods raised by muggles..."

raven guardia
but seamnus finign (sp) is a half blood because his dad is a muggle and his mom a witch..........but it makes sense for harry to be poure blood because he had both magical parents

shaber
The term pure blood is commonly used to denote pure ancestry. The issue is not magic or skill, it is race. Lily is a mudblood - a human. She is not one of the extended family (race) of purebloods. Therefore Harry is as much an alien as Seamus. Magical powers don't improve her, they just make her more of a threat. As the pureblooded wizards are all one family it makes sense for them to feel threatened by a wizard who is NOT related to them. That Lily happened to be born with magic powers that are very much like theirs doesn't make her one of their family.

shanie623
Harry is a half blood. Sirius stated in the OOTP book that almost all pure bloods are related, that's why they're PURE. Duh. Harry's not blood related with Sirius. He's a half blood obviously because his mum is like Hermoine (muggle parents, but Lily turned out to have magic like Hermoine)... Petunia didn't.. heh.

Who knows about the history of Harry's mum though. Maybe there's a secret behind, and we shall have to wait for the next book to find out.

raven guardia
yeah well I know lily was like hermione........but still me and my freind cari were talking the other day and we were not sure,......I know what siruis said because I already said earlyer I remember reading it I was just confused thats all.

Kai_Haider
I'm pretty sure the child would be 3/4s.

pixie1
he could be classed as 3 quorter blood

megajoint
on other note
we already know that wizards leave longer than muggles....
so half blood would leave how much ?
dd-150 (something like that)
Professor Marchbanks - at least 170-175 (from the fact that she examine dd in his OWLs )
they were pure blood? (i guess that they were)
if they leave longer so maybe dd love one was a half blood and she died before him...

angiethedragon
That does make since
I agree with whoever said that thing about wizards not really being entirely human. although they look it. Wizards are like a different line of the human race. Ok I believe that every one in the HP universe, muggles included, have some amount of magic in them (except for the dursleys) Thats how muggles can have wizard children. Lets go back even before merlin or maybe even to merlin's time. Lets say merlin was born to muggles but when he started showing his magical talents they were scared and cast him out of their village or house or whatever and he found a female with the same talents and lets say they started the wizard lines. voila you have the wizard race. maybe the early wizards were shunned so much and persecuted so much that they formed their own society (The wizarding world) and forgot about their own ancestory so they were very wary of wizards who didn't have wizard parents. to them muggles aren't true wizards they are just muggles with magic powers, those who have a line of wizard ancestors are pure bloods those who don't have a line of wizard ancestors aren't pure bloods and thier children are half bloods

angiethedragon
it all has to do with ancestory, when you are born you get part of each parent and part of each blood line so you are half of your father and half of your mother harry is halfblood because half of his ancestors are not wizards and half are. his mother is a mudblood with no wizarding ancestors at all. pure bloods have wizarding ancestors on both sides

shanie623
so like.... hold on! talk about James Potter (Harry's dad): is he pureblood? he wasn't in the family tree that Sirius had pointed out in the 5th book... but of course, not all pure wizards are connected... are they?

angiethedragon
no not all wizards are connected but most are because of who they marry. remember there are alot of wizard families out there and they could marry alot of people. I mean look at the weasly family. They have 7 kids and lets say they all married into different wizard families They'd have a pretty big line there

shaber
Interesting point, Muggles may well have a spark of innate magic that allows them to interact with magic. But the pureblood wizards are not human, even though they are compatible with us. They are not giants, even though they are compatible with them. I get the impression that wizards were a different race to the human race since Man first evolved. They would have ruled at first, like the ancient Egyptian wizards, then simply coexisted as in the Middle Ages, then gone into hiding.

hhhhr
i still haven't got a clue of which merlin we are talking about i know we read about it in the book (is that arthurian merlin?) if it is the same merlin i'm thinking about you might like to know that his mother wasn't a muggle

shaber
Wasn't Merlin's mother a muggle and his father an incubus devil

hhhhr
http://images.killermovies.com/forums/moresmilies/eek.gif
i don't think so

Patronus
This is the way I think it goes down.
Every single member of your family dating back to ancestors have to be magical in order for you to be considered a pure blood. Half-blood doesn't solely mean that one parent is magical and the other is not, it is just the universal expression for saying that a wizard or witch has a family member somewhere that was not magical. Technically, there would be 3/4 bloods, 4/5 bloods, and so forth, but half-blood is just the universal name. Mudblood just means that both of your parents were not magical. Now if a squib married a muggle, and the child was a wizard, based on my description, would he be a mudblood or a half-blood??

shaber
The child of a muggle and a Squib would be a half-blood without any magical powers.

I got the impression that it is a new development for the wizards to intermingle with Muggles. They only did so at all because there were becoming fewer and fewer pure blood wizards. Perhaps a couple of hundred years ago all or most wizards were pure blood. There has not really been time for developments such as 4/5 blooded wizards.

shaber
ALL wizards live longer than muggles solely because their innate magic preserves them from injury and bodily breakdown. A mudblood would live as long as a pureblood.

raven guardia
wow,.........this is all confuesing glad you guys understand smile

pixie1
Originally posted by shaber
The child of a muggle and a Squib would be a half-blood without any magical powers.

the child could still have magical powers

eezy45
yeah otherwise the child of 2 muggles may never be a wizard wink

Assilem
Don't they say somewhere that he's a half blood because so was Voldmort? He and Voldy are one in the same and have similar lines because they are both alike in their ancestry as well? So he's not a full pure blood, because as sirius was saying in the 5th book, the pure bloods all marry in to each other, to stay pure, but if you've got muggle blood somewhere from either side of your family (ie great grandparents such as harry) you're not of pure blood, even though both your parents were witch/wizard... just a thought.

snb_joint
sigh my young padwons...didn't you read the fifth book? It stated clearly that Voldemort and harry were both half bloods cuz they are alike in many ways; reread The Lost Prophecy in the Fifth book - The order of the phoenix if ur still confused

Tonks
K fine then to kinda settle this. Harry is like a 3/4 blooded person. as lily was not a full blooded witch. his dad is though. and so just do the little math involved.

shaber
No, he is HALF-blood.

James' blood is pure, but every single drop of Lily's blood is worthless.

ASSUMING that no weed grew out of that pile of dirt Harry is an unbalanced hybrid, exactly HALF one species and exactly HALF another species.

(gosh how can something so simple possibly be so difficult to understand, I don't know... no )

shaber
Actually it was indeed the case according to most versions of the myth... nasty concept isn't it? messed

angelsflame265
this is the point i was trying to make on a diffrent post, but no one would listen to me sad

shaber
Because you were totally and utterly wrong.

JKR has specifically said that he is a HALF-blood. That ought to be good enough for anyone.

angelsflame265
has she said it an interviews? or just in the book? because u can't always trust JKR's charaters to tell the truth

tassie
I agree fully, angelsflame... unless of course JK herself said it somewhere, in some interview or something.... but Harry is a PURE BLOOD.... both his parents were a wizard/witch... Lily's background has nothing to do with the outcome of her child being a half-blood.... as long as she married a pure blood, James, Harry is a Pure Blood.

The End.

me15
in the 5th book dombledore calls harry half blood.........wait a second so i can get the book and quote him........
~stephanie

me15
5th book, pg. 842......
"he chose the boy he thought most likely to be a danger to him," said dumbledore. "And notice this, Harry. He chose, not the pure blood*, but the HALF BLOOD, like himself."

tassie
oooooohhhhhhh

okay

*is confused now*

How in the world is Harry a half-blood, then?? messed

There goes my theories...

me15
lol, what do you think?

tassie
I always thought that Harry was a pure blood.... his mother was a witch, being a half blood or not-she was still a witch.... and his father was a wizard

W+W= PURE BLOOD

okay, i can do much better than that^^ lol, but i'm lazy right now..

angelsflame265
lol ditto to what tassie said hehe

~*~Tassie~*~
hey, an old thread eek!

sorry.. just felt like bumping.. embarrasment

DanFan4000
If you dont know about Harry and his blood, you missed alot in the books.... really, you did...

dark1365
HALF-BLOOD!!

angelsflame265
I always thought it was weird about this blood type thing. And how if one of your parents is a muggleborn, that makes you a half-blood.

So what are you if both your parents are muggleborn? Still a half-blood?
What if on of your grandparents was a muggleborn, and everyone else is a pureblood? 3/4 blood?

And how far back does a muggle person have to be in your family to be a pureblood? I mean if you go back far enough in any family, there has to be a muggle somewhere, right?

phrd1
just take a look of the title of the next book...i won't put it here cos it may be a spoiler, but if Harry's the Prince it's refering to...

angelsflame265
Harry is a half-blood. But Harry isn't the Half Blood Prince

Mourning Glory
There's no way he could be anything but a halfblood if his mom's sister was his aunt petunia.

DanFan4000
It isnt called Harry Potter and Himself... get real...

raenef v
he's not a pureblood or a halfblood
but he is a mudblood

^_^that's kinda funny^_^

actually every wizard/witch is a mudblood unless no one in there family is non-magical which is kinda inpossible

Harry's mom was a mudblood (two non-magical parents)

Harry's dad can be considered a pureblood right now cause i don't know if anyone in his family is non-magical (though there probably is someone)

the weaselys are mudbloods cause they have a relative who is a muggle banker

Lord Voltemorte is a half-blood cause one parent was muggle and the other was magical.

is that understandable??

dark1365
I guess not. What the f**k?

impatientinky
but being related to a muggle does not make you a mudblood if that's what you are saying.
they explained in the book that "mudblood" is an insult for a witch or wizard with muggle-parents. so basically muggle-born. harry's father is a PB wizard and his mother a muggleborn witch. i don't quite get where you get "mudblood" from considering neither of his parents is a muggle?

hope that didn't sound too confusing big grin

angelsflame265
Yeah impatientinky is right.

But I still think that Wizards are dumb for thinking they're better then people of muggle decent. I mean they're all from muggle decent if you go back far enough.

DanFan4000
Power is not in the wand the hows hand its in... Blood has nothing to power, but with rank.

sephiroth rules
some wise words there....... but harry's still half/half

O.A.R21
Wow. . my heads spinning. . wacko

sephiroth rules
wacko sick

shaber
I think the author gives her views on this sort of subject most poignantly by making the wizard/muggleborn difference so abstract.

RogueGambitdare
Harry Potter is a Half Blood it says so in the book.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.