Obi-Wan and the darkside

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Jedimaster3838
Okay, okay, I know this is really stretching it a little bit, but was Obi-Wan dabbling in the darkside when he killed Darth Maul. When they were fighting he always had this really mean look on his face, when Qui-Gon always seemed to be calm, cool, and collected. And after Maul killed Qui-Gon Obi-Wan was very upset(which is understandable, but anger is a darkside trait, so is revenge, correct?) Its looks very much like Obi-Wan was angry(which would seem natural, but the light/dark line is such a fine line) and vengeful(again understood) Was it the power of the darkside that destoryed Darth Maul? Maul always had this look of "yes, let your anger grow" look on his face.

Darth Daft
This is a very good question JM3838. I think it was in a comic version of TPM that I Obi-Wan says to Yoda something like "Master, I couldn't control my anger after master Qui-Gon was struck down." So he was indeed angry over Qui-Gon's death.
Also, in Empire Strikes Back, when Yoda says that Luke has too much anger Ben replies, "Was I any different when you taught me?"
It shows us that from time to time Obi-Wan does have trouble controlling his actions in the Force, but I doubt he'll ever get as close to turning to the Dark Side as Luke did.

theEviljedi
Truth Darth,but I also heard you can ONLY destroy your enemy using the anger/darkside inside you.

Xantos Clone
yes, but it was his anger and over-aggresisness that almost killed him....he was getting too angry and maul was feeding on it...

it was only when obi wan was calm and started to concentrate (when hanging from for dear life) and used his 'jedi' skills to finally defeat maul...

he had control over his anger at the end and killed him...

Gundark
I totally agree with XC on this. You could see on Obi-Wan's face as he was dangling over the edge, that he seemed to totally shut Maul out of his mind temporarily so he could totally concentrate on a) pulling Qui-Gon's lightsaber to him, and b) flipping his body back up out of the shaft. (I've noticed George is really into shafts.) Then he finished Maul off so quickly because he at that point had total control over his anger and caught Maul by surprise.

Darth Daft
I agree with you XC and Gundark. That is a good point about Obi-Wan controlling his anger while hanging on the edge of the pit. When he is fighting Darth Maul you notice that he doesn't ever seem to really strike at him at his soft spots of anywhere open. He is just striking anywhere with his lightsabre because of his anger and so Darth Maul can easily block all of his attacks and knock him into the pit. Once in there, Obi-Wan realises the situation and uses the Force instead of relying on anger and hatred for Maul.

Jedimaster3838
Good call on that guys. He did seem to gather himself while hanging for dear life. I guess he figured using his anger wasn't working, and he saw the light, no pun intended, and killed Maul. <Sigh> why did he have to die? He was such a great character.

theEviljedi
Yet he did not kill Maul without using the darkside.

Xantos Clone
hmmm....I know this is going to make my stock fall, but here I go....

I hate to disagree with a council member Master EJ, but killing a sith lord is not a darkside trait.

In fact, it's what Yoda said finally made him a jedi. Even yoda and obi wan want Luke to face vader and kill him to become a full fledge jedi.

Obi wan become one with the force (light side) and killed maul. I don't agree that he used the dark side to kill maul.

I don't see this getting me on the council anytime soon....I know......

Darth Daft
Don't worry, Xantos Clone. You don't have to agree with what council members say. You made a perfectly good point.

theEviljedi
I guess your right.I heard that before but i don't know if it is true.

Darth Daft
I think that although Obi-Wan was angry when he was fighting Maul he wasn't nessecarily nearing the Dark Side. He seems like the sort of Jedi who would never turn to the Dark Side, but still feels it's nesecary to let out some of his anger over certain things. He may have been able to control his emotion, but he felt that at the time, he had a right to have hatred over Maul, even if it is an attribute of the Dark Side.

theEviljedi
Finally someone is here to talk to.smile

Darth Daft
Oh hi EJ. cool

theEviljedi
You sure like those emoticons.laughing out loud

Darth Daft
Yeah I find that one funny. rolling on floor laughing

theEviljedi
roll eyes (sarcastic)

Darth Daft
smile sad wink no expression rolling on floor laughing cool cool big grin stick out tongue embarrasment eek! : 0] smokin' laughing out loud evil face

theEviljedi
Calm down little one.

Darth Daft
Sorry got a little carried away. We've come off topic a little so where were we?
Ah yes, Obi-Wan and the Dark Side. I'm not sure if he was using the Dark Side while fighting Maul. We've mentioned that he was angry and hateful of Maul (both attributes leading to the Dark Side) but does anyone think he may have been scared at all.
"FEAR leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering."
Do you think that as Darth Maul appeared Obi-Wan was SCARED and after Qui-Gon was struck down he became ANGRY and then HATEful of Maul. And then as Qui-Gon died in his arms he had to SUFFER the loss of his master. Does this all fit together or is it just coincidence that it matches with what Yoda said?

Gundark
Whoa, DD, you just blew me totally away there. That analogy is fantastic !!! It sounds to me like you just dug up something George had buried. I'm impressed.

King Jedi
DD have you been reading Aldera.net? They said that as well and I agree with both of you. I think the same thing will happen to Anakin.

Darth Daft
Thanx you two. I didn't see that on Aldera.net, one of my friends actually said it to me, but I sort of went a little further with it.
I agree KJ, that could very well happen to Anakin too. FEAR for Amidala perhaps? ANGER and HATRED over Obi-Wan for betraying him or something? And maybe SUFFERING over Amidala's death. I don't know.

Gundark
George is gonna panic if he ever reads this. I think you guys are on to him.big grin big grin

Darth Daft
I actually kind of hope not. It would be so cool if absolutely everything we've said on here is wrong and no one even gets close to what will happen in Episode 2.
I want Lucas to surprise us all with his next two films with most theories and rumours false.

Dim
Yeah I agree DD..I don't have any set expectations of the movie..I just want it to be a suprise smile

Darth Daft
I'm hoping that Lucas doesn't make the love scenes too cheesey in it. TESP was fine with its love elements, but I wonder if Lucas will be able to do it again in Episode 2.

Dim
OH I think he'll do fine...Where did we all get the idea that he could do cheesey love scenes? (it's early morning and I can't think smile )

Darth Daft
Well he didn't write the script for TESB, so we still haven't seen if he can actually do love scenes without making them corny.

Gundark
I think love scenes would be more natural with Anakin and Padme, maybe a little more slow paced than with Han and Leia. They were always on the run, and their whole affair was rushed because the empire was always up their butts.

Darth Daft
Yeah I guess. And Lucas did say something about the chemistry between Hayden and Natalie being very strong, so I suppose it could work quite well.

Gundark
I heard they are a pretty hot item off screen as well.

Darth Daft
Yeah, but that's probably false. It's just to gain attention.

Xantos Clone
if anything, qui gon shows his fear of maul and get's himself killed....just look at his face just before he get's it!! (he is like...oh crap! I'm dead!)

obi wan never looks likes he has any fear at all...just focused and fierce...being pissed off almost get's him killed too, but he controls his fear and anger better it would seem...

lightsaber001
See now...my interpitation was completely different than the rest of you...I never got the impression that OB1 was scared..infact, I thought he looked a little too eager when Maul first appeared..and watching the saber scenes Maul appeared to be going after Qui-Gon, almost like OB1 was just in the way...I think this was OB1's trial much like facing Vader was Luke,s...Qui-Gon must have sensed the outcome..this is why he told the council Obi-Wan was ready for the trials..Maybe each jedi must come so close to turning to the darkside that it is only then that they pass the trial and become a knight..perhaps Anakins trial is with the next sith and instead of choosing the lightside he chooses the darkside which makes him turn on OB1

Now I found the saber play between Maul and OB1 to be very controled in the final scene..I didn't find him just throwing his saber around..infact he had more controlling interest in the fight..There was anger in him...you could see that...Did he use the Darkside..No.IMO..I also think, that he was in a situation between life and death..2 men enter, 1 man leaves...at first he was eager, then shocked, then,mad..it worked for him, obviously it didn't for Qui-Gonlaughing out loud

Xantos clone,
I love that part when OB1 slices maul inhalf..err..game over...hehehe..one thing I didn't like about the whole saber scene is..whatch OB1 just before QG get's it, then watch Mauls face just before OB1 flings out of the pit...Lucas kind of gave it away in the expressions on their faces...

sorry..long winded

LS1

Xantos Clone
Yea, it's kind of showing how jedi can see things before it happens (jedi reflexes), but it does seem like they over-did it a little...showing the concern of his face is ok, but the face of obi wan just before qui gon get's killed is a little over the top ... I agree with that.

qui gon shows his fear towards the end and looses his concentration and leaves himself open for the mortal blow...

theEviljedi
I beleave Qui-Gon knew all along that he would be killed by Maul.He seemed like he had forseen it or something when he was meditating.

Darth Daft
I thought it was a little feeble of him to just get knocked on the chin and then stabbed in the chest like that. After all that fighting it seemed silly that he couldn't block a blow like that.

lightsaber001
DD,
Totally, it was like he knew he was a goner, so he gave up..it was to easy the way he died..He had to have felt the force pulling him to the end...basicly he was matching Maul's every move until the end...

Too much reaction in the facial expressions, I knew who was "going to get what" by watching their faces...

another thing is...why does OB1 swing his saber so much??

I don't think killing Maul was anywhere near using the darkside(getting back OT) but mearly a portal to being a full fledge Jedi(of the lightside) after all...Luke wasn't a jedi and had WAY more anger when he cut Vaders hand off..it was his test....and he passed, he chose the lightside..it was his trial..and I think Yoda knew this all along....

LS1

Darth Daft
It seems more like Obi-Wan is the most angered and aggresive of the two fighters. Just imagine Obi-Wan wearing black and being the Sith Lord while Maul being a Jedi and it would actually make sense.
Maul defends himself more than he strikes, whereas Obi-Wan does the opposite. It should be vice-versa.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.