Technology Issues

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

bigsef3
One of my main gripes with the prequel trilogy, is GL's plan to have the technology from the Prequel Trilogy transition between EI and EIII to show a progression to the technology in the Original Trilogy.

For example, In EPII, we see all sorts of rocket and missle technology used. In EIII, we see that this rocket technology is to be replaced by "proton torpedos" such as the one luke uses in EIV to destory the first death star.

Now, in my opinion, that is just plain stupid. Imagine, you have a GALACTIC CIVILIZATION that uses laser blasters, lightsabers, and faster than light travel, yet we are supposed to beleive they are still using unguided/guided ROCKETS?!?! and all of a sudden, during the 40 or so year period these movies cover, technology changes drastically?! When its been around for 1000 generations, you'd think they would have thought of those things beforehand, especially in light of the other technologies present.

Basically, GL has raped the "universe" with the OT. Technology from the OT should have been EXACTLY the same as the PT. when a civilization has been around for tens of thousands of years, things dont just dramatically change in 40 years.

Ushgarak
But the Republic is, if anything, in technological decline. That is the point, it is falling apart, corrupt, over-burdened, useless.

From the Clone Wars onwards, everything gets re-invigorated, and technology resumes its pace- but becomes far less artisitc, and more practical instead.

I think this is very well shown.

The One Part 2
A peaceful nation doesn't need high tech weapons. It doesn't mean that the technology doesn't exist; they just have no need for it.

yerssot
I fail to see the point here messed

The One Part 2
Just because a society doesn't use a certain technology for millenia, it doesn't mean that the technology isn't known. The proton torpedoes could just be laying around. When the Republic reverts to a wartime society, military technologies are brought out of mothballs such as the proton torpedoes. The point is the object isn't to show how technology evolved over 40 years, but to show the difference between a peacetime Republic and the war-time Empire.

bigsef3
my point is that a civilization with light speed technology and lasers would already be advanced well past the use of rocket technology. I imagine GL thought it was creative to allow for technology growth over the course of the star wars saga, but ultimately, it takes away from the "fantasy/mythological" feel of the movies. It takes away that certainy and familiarity of an ESTABLISHED civilization we knew and loved.

bigsef3
in replying to "the one part 2's" comment, I agree with your point, but not its application in these movies. In 10,000 years, we might have teleportation and the knowledge of it, but that doesnt mean we'd use a steam engine train to go 100km. an "aircar" or something like that, maybe, but not a steam engine.

think about it this way, in 100 years, the US could be the largest, most powerful country in the world, but just because there was peace and no war, doesnt mean soldiers would be armed with sling shots and bows and arrows. they would still use modern weaponry.

xeous
So what's your grand idea for futuristic weaponry? I do hope you have one because it's always nice to have people complain then not have an original idea in their heads.

xeous
True, they would. But how do you know that the weaponry wouldn't be almost the same for 1,000 years? Look at the time period between 1 AD and 1,000 AD. No MAJOR breakthroughs there(besides the discovery that steam can power something...They still hadn't really harnessed it yet, that won't come for another 800 years.)

Ushgarak
I don't see why rockets have to be ruled out simply because of lasers.

xeous
Lasers can shoot rockets...Remember the Star Wars(Ironic eh?) project in the 80's that we tried to do(the USA)?(maybe it was the early 90's)

bigsef3
i dont have a grand idea of futuristic weaponry. merely keeping to what we had in the OT for continuity. As far as why lasers demand rockets, its more of an "ideological view" you know, how spielberg feels that any alien race that ever had the technology to visit earth, would HAVE to be peaceful. the idea that they would have had to overcome thier own wars and work together to reach that plateau of yada yada yada.....

i merely feel that a civilization using laser guns and hyperdrives would also have long-since advanced past using projectile rocket technology.

Dirty Vader
bigsef: u do have a very good point. And credit to Ushgharak for giving that explanation, but I disagree with you when you say that it is very well shown.

xeous
And xeous, thanks for having the historical approach, your posts are always inciteful and enjoyable. If I was a mod, you people would at least acknowledge me wink

amity75
I've always thought that bullets would be more effective than the laser blasts in star wars. Can you imagine a jedi trying to deflect an onslought from an AK47 with his lightsabre? No chance!

Member.
Look at past wars fought, in WWI and WWII, war tech advanced a lot. it's the same thing with SW universe. the Clone Wars caused the major advancement of weapons, armor etc.

Darth Jello
particle weaponry isn't everything, a missile and payload system may have to work for targets with particle shielding

Mr.Deflok
It seems as though there isn't anything that Lucas hasn't yet raped roll eyes (sarcastic)

I like how the beautiful tech in the PT changes to the industrialised and gritty tech of the OT, this is Star Wars remember so a realistic approach to things isn't always the smartest way to go about them.

Ushgarak
Well, I think it is. We're evolving from the Naboo with their artistic, chrom-eifnished ships, built in a luxury craftman's age, into the hardcore, blocky, practical shapes of the Galactic War by the OT.

And I do not think there are any problems with the rockets at all.

bigsef3
WWI and II were fought in an early-industrial civilization. the clone wars were fought in an advanced civilization with technologies millenia beyond those found in WWI or II. a war fought 10,000 years before the clone wars would have advanced past the use of unguided rockets... i mean, even OUR civilization uses GUIDED rockets.

yerssot
it's not cause they're advanced that they know a technology we already have
and who claims they don't know it? they might as well, just haven't used it up till now

Member.
they live in a different universe, they probably have different elements etc. i don't know, i doubt GL even knows, it's just a movie and those guided missles look good, that's why they put it there. and there will always be advancements in technology in any war, even if they're 10,000 more advanced...i hate living in the Milky Way

LanceWindu
Pay close attention to what you have said here.

In 40 years technology can change drastically.

Look at our own world:
In 40 years we went from big huge computer that took up an entire room and had to have a rubber floor to be able to hold the weight to having computer you can take with you on the go.

Plus we have developed more advanced weapons, they change each year.

Now look at the Star Wars universe:
They are not just one world, they are many star systems with many planets. To say that combined they cannot change technology dramatically is like saying the United Nations can not screw in a light bulb.

Each star system and planet has something to contribute to the weapons, so they are constantly evolving.

I can easily see how they can go from unguided/guided rockets to having proton torpedos.

xeous
Yeah Lance but like I said, look at between 1 AD and 1000 AD for Technological advances.

bigsef3
technology grown follows a very specific pattern that can be graphed and future growth can be predicted fairly accurately. the growth pattern follows what is called an "s curve." In our time, the industrial revolution sparked immense and rapid growth. Technology grew very very rapidly, so that in 100 years, we went from riding horses to walking on the moon (actually, man did not actually walk on the moon, that is all a big hoax, but thats another matter).

Anyway, my point is this, they star wars universe is not at the brink of the industrial revolution. Its 1000s of years more advanced. OUR society is past unguided rockets, so theirs definately should be.

LanceWindu
Their galaxy is not ours!

You can't judge their technological advances like you judge ours. Just because we may have gotten past unguided rockets doesn't mean another galaxy does the same just like ours.

xeous
Maybe that's where they're caught up wink We can't get hyperspace travel and they can't get guided rockets. Maybe we should swap.

Member.
it was a long time ago too sad don't think they're they're there anymore

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.