World of Warcraft

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

BackFire
Anyone interested in this game? Looks hella awesome, like it may be the first MMORPG that doens't have a ridiculous amount of downtime..

I just applied for the beta, and with any luck, I will get in.

FLICKNAVY
I applied for the beta also. Game looks sweet, lookin forward to it.

Ushgarak
Yes, very interesting (I run a more old-fashioned Warcraft RP back here) but I simply don't have the finances for subscription games.

They really should allow off-line play with these things.

Lord_Andres
I can't wait, saw the trailer a few days ago at a friend of mine, it looks so cool, heard it sould be out this summer big grin

SaTsuJiN
I applied for beta as well, hopefull we'll see eachother there. We should post our name // server and stuff if we do get on so we can go adventuring and stuff big grin

BackFire
We could be the KMC guild wink

Red_Drake
this will be a hard game for me to acquire since I live in a F****** country who will not even have it's own server for online games so if I where to play WOW I would have to play with lag and paying for it twice the price since Dollar is more expensive than real the money from Brazil, that's where I live, this c**ph**e is very dificult to acquire good games.

h0ck3yh0rr0r
Looks greta. but my comp sux sad i dont think it can handle it

h0ck3yh0rr0r
great^*

SaTsuJiN
kmC GU1Ld up 1N TH3 HiZZ@Y~

BackFire
I can't believe it, I got in the beta..... Out of like 500,000 people who applied I'm one of the 15,000 to get in.....damn I'm lucky.

SaTsuJiN
neat~, congratulations~ ^^ I applied too, but I think theres something specific they're looking for.. wish I knew what though

BackFire
I dunno, I heard it was pretty random. THey just look at your computer specs and try to get people from different areas of the country

BackFire
Well, for anyone who cares heres an update on the game.

I've been playing the beta for about a month now. I've tried out most of the classes, but havent' gotten any of them to a very high level.

Human Warrior - Level 15
Undead Warlock - Level 11
Human Paladin - Level 7
Night Elf Rogue level 9
Human Mage Level 8

Those are the ones I've played. So far, I like the Warlock the best. The only reason I got the Warrior to a high level was because that was the first character I made to learn the game. Now that I know it, the warlock is outstanding.

As for the game itself, the quest system is pure gold. It really makes the game alot funner then just running around randomly killing Monsters in the wilderness for no reason. It makes it feel alot less tedius when you actually have a reason to fight.

So far, my favorite race is probably the Undead or the Night Elves. The Night Elves starting area looks really neat. The Undead have alot of fun quests to do. The humans are neat too, but their area, while being very easy to learn, is very plain and boring. It's just a normal forest.

Anyway, from what I can tell from the beta, the game is outstanding, I think it will probably be the best MMORPG to date, and I can't wait for more updates. I'll keep you all updated in the future.

HockeyHorror
sounds great. ima upgrade comp then get it hopefully big grin

BackFire
Good idea. The game is outstanding.

Fire
not my thing

Raventheonly
when does it come out?

BackFire
Probably around September.

Linkalicious
i'm all over that game. LoL i finally got Frozen Throne yesterday! laughing

But i got it for $15 because i waited so long.

BackFire
Hah, nice work. I was a bit disapointed in Frozen Throne, the story isnt' nearly as strong ans in Warcraft III

Raventheonly
world of warcraft is a different game

HockeyHorror
frozen throne is better than ROC for multiplayer but the story line was very weak.

BackFire
Yeah, I judge the Warcraft games by their storylines, so for me ROC was better. But I do like the new units in TFT. Mountain Giants are awesome!

Linkalicious
Yup they are pretty bad ass. So what's WoW like? Do you change how any of the characters dress or anything? ans what's the max level you can have?

BackFire
Well, WoW is alot like other MMOG's in it's premise. You are just one of many adventures running around killing monsters. The difference is that its quest sytem. Which mean that instead of just randomly killing monsters for no reason, you are usually doing quests that help you gain experience points faster. Most of the quests involve killing monsters, or delivering something to someone. But surprisingly it does enhance the game quite a bit. It makes it feel alot less tedius then most other MMOG.

As for the dress thing, yeah, you buy new armor/equipment and it changes the way your character looks.

The max level right now is only 39. But I've heard that it will go up too 70.

RaventheOnly
OK question for Backfire:

Is there a monthly fee? and if so, how much is it? I just ordered the game from best buy big grin

BackFire
Yes, there will be a monthly fee, as with all MMOG's. It will be 15 bucks a month if you get the single monthly plan (pay for each month seperately). Or you can get it for 13 bucks a month by paying for 6 months worth all in advance. I suggest the latter, because you'll more then likely be playing for 6 months or more.

SaTsuJiN
dang thats nearly 80 bucks hehe.. which is just for 2 dollars less than paying it in only 15 every 30 days.. but I see your point

RaventheOnly
jawdrop whelp...... that sucks. no expression i guess it would cost more to rent two games a month sad

RaventheOnly
15!!!!! i still can't get over that sad neverwinter never charged that anything... and everquest charges 6.95 a month sad

RaventheOnly
Is there a way to play the game without using the internet option? blink

BackFire
No, you have to bite teh bullet and pay to play online. Or cancel your reservation.

It really isn't that much. 50 cents a day.

SaTsuJiN
Neverwinter wasnt truely massive and everquest is old.. (if you're talking about the earlier titles)

RaventheOnly
I like how Neverwinter was expanded by the players themselves big grin

Everquest 2 costs 6.95 a month stick out tongue

SaTsuJiN
really?.. such a strange price.. surely theres some kind of catch... Ive never seen an MMO priced that low

BackFire
Same here...but I guess they can afford it, they made so much money with Everquest, they can afford charging chicken scratch for their sequel.

RaventheOnly
ya... they are offering a deal where 6 games are covered by a plan of 24.95 a month. messed

SaTsuJiN
I'm in Open beta test server 2 (eastern time realm).

Name : Satosa

BackFire
Ah, I'm in pacific test server 7, been playing with a buddy. Quite fun playing with friends.

How are you liking it so far Satsu?

SaTsuJiN
its confusing right now.. I see : text
and I dont know how to communicate with those people..hehe.. my friend is going to be an elf and I have no idea how to get there from stormwind -.- but yeah I love it so far the game plays really fast big grin

BackFire
Yeah, so you're a human? What class?

I've been playing with my buddy all night, helping him learn the game. It's tough getting from the elf area to SW unless you already know how. Me and my friend just did that, it's tough. Takes about an hour the first time.

RaventheOnly
it said you can travel by air and by animal back stick out tongue can you fight from horse-back? eek! if so.... shifty omg i'm never gettin off the horse shifty

BackFire
No, you can't fight from horseback, unfortunately.

SaTsuJiN
yeah.. I tried to get a gryphon ride.. but they said I have to have found a flight path first -_-I was also told to get a horse, you gotta be levle 40 and give 1 gold..... . my friend is on the NE continent.. and Im on the human one.. I dont know how Im gonna meet up.. hopefully theres a boat of some kind..

oh and BF> Im a paladin smile they're really fun to play as. im gonna go with 2 hand sword.. im not sure if its gonna be good.. but I got bored of the default hammer

BackFire
Good choice, two handed sword is a prime choice for a Paladin.

I'm playing a Warrior, I'll also be using a two handed sword, once I get some cash.

RaventheOnly
mad darn..... so when you ride up you just dismount? blink

BackFire
Using horses is a means of transportation in that game, to get from point A to point B quicker then walking. Nothing more.

RaventheOnly
no expression that sucks cry

SaTsuJiN
well just think of how silly it'd be... you said it yourself.. "I'd never get off my horse.." do you think blizzard wants that kind of thinking for gameplay? lol... after attempting to walk to the harbor (and realizing the railroad to dwarven city was right in stormwind -_= ) I'd like a 4 legged creature to call my own... :sigh:

RaventheOnly
Horses are a cornerstone to warfare in the middle-ages... stick out tongue

BackFire
But then the problem would be that everyone would use horses, and have a major advantage over the people who can't afford them (they cost 100g, which is a lot of money). They didn't allow combat on horses for balance reasons.

But, rumors are afloat that when they add Hero classes in the future, some of them may be able to fight while on horse.

RaventheOnly
yea that makes sense yes you buy the horse, not rent it right? I also noticed that each race has its own animal that carries them.

I was looking at all the classes and races recently... its gonna rock big grin

BackFire
Yes, very fun game, addicting as hell.

Darth Surgent
If only it didn't have that pesky monthly fee. sad

I hate monthly fees. I'd pay $150 for the game and be done with it. Paying $10+ every month is B.S. as far as I'm concerned (even for a spectacular game). mad

SaTsuJiN
Im thinking of putting alot of talent points into redemption skills.. Im not sure what kind of paladin that'd make me. right now i got disconnected while mining underwater.. I hope im not drowned when I get back -_-...

and I noticed this lil nub that appears on my exp bar when Im rested.. whats it for?

SaTsuJiN
heres a more zoomed in look in case you cant see it :
(it only seems to appear there after resting hehe)
I spent over 40 silver today on mining recipes and getting a box from bank.. *shudder*... sweet money go bye bye ; ;

BackFire
That "nub" is the ticker for your rest. You'll notice that if you log out for long periods of time it will move down your exp bar. Untill your exp pasts that nub you will be gaining double exp.

It's hard as hell making money in Open beta.

Thorondor
I downloaded the 2.5gig open beta client a few days ago only to be prompted after i'd installed it that the open beta had infact been closed laughing out loud i was not in a pleasent mood stick out tongue

eleveninches
I might have bought either this game or Everquest 2 if there was NO monthly charge.

Thorondor
Every mmorpg has a monthly charge and it's not exactly a huge amount, get over it.

Morridini
Did any of you happen to get two Beta accounts? I didn't manage to get one as they closed the signup right before I heard that I could signup.

SaTsuJiN
Oh yeah.. someones just gonna give an extra beta account just for j00... roll eyes (sarcastic)

What are some good paladin builds.. in terms of "Talent" tree? smile

BackFire
I don't know, Paladin is one of the few classes I'm not too familiar with, especially since the drastic changes last patch. Check out the paladin boards for some opinions.

Morridini
I just got my hand on a working account and have started playing. I must say that so far it looks good, exept for the lagging (hope they fix it soon). What real are y in, I am currently in Test 3. If anyone of u are ever there try contacting me, I am a human (female) Warlock (or wss it called warlord? something withthe word war in it) called Amidala.

SaTsuJiN
I must say though I wwent to kalimdor to help my NE druid friend get bear form.. and I was disappointed that it (the boat from mennelith or the NE port town) kinda teleport/loads kalimdor to azeroth and vice versa instead of doing the trip in real time... but I understand that it would be annoying to wait 30 minutes to get somewhere hehe but I thought it would still be cool.

BackFire
I'm really glad they don't do real time boat trips, at higher levels (especially as a night elf) you are forced to go back and forth between continents. If you had to wait in real time it would be really bad.

But, I know what you mean, I think it would be cool if they made the boats real time for people who want that, and added a griphon ride for people who want a quick trip. On the boat they could have gambling and shops or something like that.

RaventheOnly
jawdrop characters from Horde and Alliance cannot be in the same group messed and you have to learn thier language to communicate with them.... I also read you that its under consideration that you can't trade between alliances messed

BackFire
That's correct (and it's not under discussion, you CAN NOT trade between alliances). It makes perfect sense, teh two factions are at war with one another, so to keep the storyline straight they can't allow an Orc that's at war with the humans to group with a human.

RaventheOnly
yea stick out tongue

oh can you even play the game without an internet connection or account? blink

BackFire
Nope, as with all MMOG's, you must play it online and pay monthly, so, you do need an account as well.

RaventheOnly
wow... so how long are they plannin on makin up stuff i wonder.... most online games die after about a year.

BackFire
Not the successful ones, which WoW will certainly be. Like with most big name MMOG's they'll probably add numerous expansions, using both free downloads to add stuff and large boxed expansions. There are already rumors about the first expansion, some such rumors are...

-Arthas being a massive raid boss
-Adding the outlands and Illidan, possibly a new race that lives on the outlands
-New normal classes
-Hero classes
-Battlegrounds
-New areas, such as northrend.
-New weapons and such.

So all of this stuff will keep the game alive for a good long while.

RaventheOnly
as long as they keep it interesting i'll pay.... kinda equals just renting two games a month.... so oh well big grin When Zero Hour came out.... it was like a whole new game

BackFire
Yeah, the monthly charge really isn't that much, it's 50 cents a day basically. Just save all the changes you get and you'll have more then enough to pay the monthly charge.

SaTsuJiN
So i mean , do you think that me playing the open beta spoils the surprises for retail?

BackFire
Not really, there's going to be alot more added to the game in the months ahead. Heck, I've been playing the game since april and I still feel there's alot I haven't seen.

SaTsuJiN
lol dang big grin hope my 80 bux was spent well.. ( /shake first at blizzard)

Morridini
Aah, this is crap.
I am trying to log into wow but the realm is full. And I only have characters in that realm. Has this ever happened to any of u before? I am number 237 in queue and estimated time till I can enter is 39minutes. Argh.

Morridini
This is just terrible. After taht long wait I came into WoW which was totaly algging. It was impossible to play.

BackFire
Well, it is Open Beta, which is primarily used to test the server loads.

SaTsuJiN
yeah no matter how many times I tell my friends that they're causing the lag purposely they keep saying "I hope it wont be like this in retail" -_-

white_wolfy
9 days for us, dont know if i'll get it, halo 2 just kicks too much ass...
my friend did that beta and we've been watching the project since it was announced. Who else read the books? I got all four that are released, #2 in the war of the ancients should be published this month

SaTsuJiN
I havent read the books cuz I feel like they really arent part of the story. today I managed to get pants that arent tacky for my paladin, I was like w00t! so I mailed my crappy gear to my friends... <--- is so thoughtful

dark1365
I read Lord of the Clans, the prick killed Tari. Stupid, stupid, dumbass.

BackFire
What level are you, Sats?

Morridini
I was just wondering of any of u knows of any sites with navigation maps for WoW, it's quite frustrating when u get a quest to go somewhere and u don't know where it is. I used one hour running around in Stormwind searching for a store (I only knew that I was going to a place named Blacksomething) untill I found someone who knew where it was and it turned out to be on the other side of teh land, not in the city.

BackFire
Generally the quest log will tell you where to go. If not, then you just gotta wander or ask someone. I don't know of any navigational sites, sorry.

SaTsuJiN
Right now, level 16 paladin.. my friends keep complaining that I'm higher than them, so Ive been trying to postpone leveling as much as I can. ALthough I dont think that partying with someone a bit higher than you kills XP that much, I really dont know for sure how the party/exp system works

BackFire
Well, if you're grouped with someone of your level then the exp is simply split in half with them... If they're higher level there is a small exp penalty, depending on how big the level difference.

Morridini
What realm are u people in? And do u know when this Beta is going to end,when willwe have topay to play it?

SaTsuJiN
I believe the beta will go on as long as they allow (Im not sure if it will pass retail on the 23rd but who knows)

Im on east realm Test server 2

RaventheOnly
bought the Pre order at best buy today happy I got a book apparently no expression

BackFire
Nice, the books are supposed to be pretty neat.

RaventheOnly
eek! then i shall read it big grin

RaventheOnly
We should get ready to make a party eek! my first character will probably be a mage... so ......

Tptmanno1
DOes it require a payment?
It would suck if it did, cuz then its out for me...

Unholy_Cheese
I saw this at EB games yesterday. I tryed to ask the shop owner if it was out yet or not and what it is but he was chatting up a girl and kept saying "i'll be with u in a sec"

SaTsuJiN
Last day of open beta today... *sniff*. goodbye dear open beta sad

RaventheOnly
first month free... 14.95 each additional month. or 78 for 6 months at 13 a month. messed

Havoc470
i've been away from mmorpg's because of their accending monthly fees, i was looking forward to WoW but lately if you wanna play games online you have to pay alot of money besides the cost for the game, same thing goes for a few console games, there arent very much games you could actually have fun with when a few friends come over besides sports games

SaTsuJiN
having a live constant updating system wont be for free.. thats just how things go.. when people do work they want money for it.. people dont slave in front of a monitor coding for 8 to 10 hour shifts for free

RaventheOnly
Tuesday droolio *hugs pre-order reciept*

SaTsuJiN
ugh.. omg that reminds me I have to find my reciept! eek! *dives in pile of reciepts* eek!

BackFire
The development team is going to be at Fry's electronics monday night for a release party. I happen to live about 10 minutes away from that store, so I'll totally be there.

SaTsuJiN
grr.. I live in NJ so I cant sad

RaventheOnly
Dude hunigton beach is only like an hour away.... but i have work that day cry

BackFire
That's why god invented hookey.

SaTsuJiN
lol.. god invented it.. too bad he doesnt invent teleportation so I could get my collectors edition signed sad

Unholy_Cheese
I lost my reciept too stick out tongue
But dont worry, they have you on computer

RaventheOnly
Gotta get paid though cry

BackFire
Bah, you can miss ONE day, surely..

On another note, I just picked up the strategy guide for the game. It's pretty impressive. 432 pages, lots of useful maps that show hot spots in the cities and all the regions in the game, plus a quest log for each area.

It's funny though, it's already out of date. it was written before the changes to the Paladin were made so the Paladin section is has a bunch of incorrect abilities listed that aren't actually in the game anymore.

Anywho, awesome guide. It's good for all of the new players I think. I personally probably didn't need it, but I love buying strategy guides, especially for MMOG's.

SaTsuJiN
lol... looks like I wont be buying a guide.. *sharpens 2hand sword*

RaventheOnly
Maybe i should buy it then big grin

BackFire
Don't let the Pali section turn you off, it's still well worth it for the armor tables, quest lists, maps and beastiary. Plus all of the other class sections are ace.

Morridini
One question.
Are they making any huge changes from the Beta to the real version? I was talking to someone and they insisted on that the game would be bigger when the full version comes out, but I was under the impression that it will stay much like the Beta version. Si what is it?

BackFire
Initially it will be the same as open beta, just a bit smoother and maybe with some minor changes.

However, as time goes on they will add numerous things, like new areas, classes, weapons, ect.

So don't expect any major differences when the game is released.

BackFire
Well I went to the Fry's event last night with a couple of my friends, it was insane. Over 4,000 people showed up and I guess they didn't have enough copies for the last 150 people. Luckily I got there fairly early, at around 8, so I got my copy at about 1am, got home, played it and got to lvl 8 before going to sleep.

Got my copy signed by a few of the devs. Cool game, although I guess they have some que lines on some of the east coast servers. Lucky for me I'm on the westcoast.

Anyone else get it yet?

RaventheOnly
I just got it and am installing it now... shifty West Coast ROCKS!!!! laughing out loud

BackFire
Nice, I'm on the cenarius server if you want to know. smile

Darth Surgent
Duh.

RaventheOnly
Can i change servers? big grin

Unholy_Cheese
Is it true this is a permenent online game?

BackFire
If you mean transfer an existing player - then no.

You can create a new character on another server though.

RaventheOnly
i figured that out.... and you can only have 8 characters total in all servers.

OMG WTF !!!! the whole WoW line of servers like totally crashed.

BackFire
Yeah, first day gitters, it's completely common in MMOG's for the servers to be unstable, should be fixed shortly I imagine.

But...where did you hear that you can only have 8 characters total? You can have up to 50 characters last I heard.

RaventheOnly
jawdrop eek! thats awesome eek! I heard it at the official site, they must have changed it like they always do big grin

RaventheOnly
I like the Lightbringer one, there is less lag.

Everytime i try to use my human character in Cenarius i go to pic something up and i gotta wait like 3 mins for him to stop stooping over messed but like you said opening day servers messed

SaTsuJiN
Server : (central time) Sargeras (PvP)
Character/s : Satosa (human/paladin)
Ahndaga (Nighelf/druid)

RaventheOnly
We have 2:

Lightbringer: Irenicus level eight human/mage and Teena level 7 Hunter/night elf

BackFire
Server: Cenarius (Pacific time zone)

Name: Kaelos

Race/class/lvl: Night elf Rogue, lvl 22

Money: 4g

Unholy_Cheese
So is it still RTS?

BackFire
No, it's a MMOG.

Unholy_Cheese
Oh cool. I like MMO, but i lag to much ninja

RaventheOnly
Damn i need to get into a party mad I try to join them and everyone ignores me till i save there butts mad

BackFire
You don't really need to group in this game. I've gotten to lvl 22 pretty much without grouping.

Morridini
I would really like to play WoW again, but now that it costs money I can't afford it crycrybaby

RaventheOnly
Well a Mage needs a bit of space to really let lose laughing out loud

BackFire
Oh yeah...I forgot you were a mage..

You can still solo as a mage, but there's massive downtime. I honestly hate playing a mage in this game.

RaventheOnly
MUHAHhhaaaa!!!! i got my frost spell which freezes them in place... shifty and nothing stands that barrage shifty but now i;m in the Dwarven lands where the baddies have throwing axes mad

Really i don't mind the down time... if you put your points of talent in the right places you reduce the down time of specific spells.

BackFire
I'm loving the hell out of my rogue, lvl 24 and counting.

I think I'm going to start playing a warlock too, they are pretty fun

Morridini
Little help please.
I am planing to buy the Beta version of the game (which is cheap and u doesn't have to pay to play), and I don't like to have multiple characters. I am unsure of which type I should choose. In the other Beta I was a warlock, which I very much enjoyed. But now I wonder if I should rather be a mage or a hunter. Out of Warlock, Mage and Hunter, which would u recommend? And what is the difference between Mage and warlock?
Thanks

BackFire
uh.....You can't legally buy the beta version.... the beta version doesn't even exist anymore. I don't know where you got this info but do not buy a "beta" version of this game. The game is released and you are likely going to get ripped off.

Havoc470
true, but the monthly fee's about 2 years ago were around 8 bucks (for the games i've played at least) and now they're up at 14 bucks......and anyway alot of fps games are free online, they get paid for all that coding whther the game has a monthly fee or not, the makers of the game benefit from monthly fees not the coders

white_wolfy
Dont mind me, but doesn't that slightly defy the point of it being a MMORPG... sounds like you dont know what it is, eh
massive(ly) multiplayer online role-playing game... "MULTIPLAYER..."

ya see why its not available in single player!

RaventheOnly
My cusin trid using the rogue and he didn't like it... sad i guess maybe because he was a dwarf laughing out loud can you steal from other players with the rogue? big grin

I tried a orc warlock big grin its ok big grin

Oh i have a question: I'm a mage but i bought a cat pet. Can you level it up like thge other pets?

Morridini
From www.worldofwarcraft.com: "Blizzard is pleased to announce that World of Warcraft will release in Europe in early 2005. This will follow a final beta test, which is currently scheduled to start in December 2004. "

So back to my question. should I select a Warlcock, Hunter or Mage? And the difference between Warlock and Mage is?

BackFire
Ah yes, I neglected to notice that you lived in europe. Was under the impression that you were in the US for some reason.

I'd say pick Warlock, they're a very interesting and unique class, they get a lot of unique skills and some awesome late game abilities (like summoning an Infernal). Also they are the kings of soloing and have some really good abilities for a group setting. My alt is going to be a Warlock.

Mage is a very simple class, you jsut kill the enemy as fast as you can so it won't attack you. Mages do substantial damage and are a premier grouping class. Groups love mages for ranged damage. If you want to find a group easily be a mage, but be prepared for very repetitve gameplay.

Hunter basically sucks, useless in a group and not as good at soloing as a warlock.

Lord_Andres
Ah when I'm gonna play I'm gonna be a sword man, or a dwarf big grin is that good BF?

BackFire
A dwarf warrior? Sounds good to me.

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>