Georgia considers banning 'evolution'

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

ash007
Its really wired they plan to ban the word evolution from Georgia's science curriculum and replacing it with the phrase "biological changes over time.

This in mu pwn perosnall opinion is way over the top. They are only doing it because some parent sobject to the word evolution becsuse it goes agains there religous belief.

what do u think wink.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/EDUCATION/01/30/striking.evolution.ap/index.html

Linkalicious
isn't georgia the same place where that judge wasn't aloud to keep a copy of the Ten Commandments posted up in the court house? IMO....not one of our greater states.

ash007
its really gone over the top everyone now has become Polically correct

LanceWindu
Not a copy, it was a statue of sorts.

Georgia is one of those states that tries a little too hard sometimes, I mean first the Ten Commandments, then Evolution? Come on, anyone can find out about Evolution, easily. There's the 'net, TV, movies, etc.

I highly doubt this is going to go through, but it's possible.

Julie
banning the word evolution is kinda a dumb idea.....it really makes very little sense...it'll actually make people want to say it more.....

§pearhead
How the hell does "evolution" offend anyone? And moreover, how does "biological changes over time" not offend the person? And what happens if someone does say "evolution"? Do they get arrested? Kicked out? Or has it become a swear word?

...damn soccer moms.

rusky
Evolution ??!? laughing out loud
Now THAT's dumb....big grin

feanor
Wow! and i thought we couldn't get anymore sooo out of touch with reality in america. I'm not surprise really...if some schools can ban mark twain...then it stands to reason that 'evolution' is a bad word.

Lord Soth
Alabama

The south seems to be filled with tight-ass fundamentalist Christians.......

Aurora
Yes and I am stuck in the middle of them! I am amazed that ppl would go so far as to ban the word evolution! I am actually speechless at how stupid ppl can be. I was raised Southern Baptist and let me tell u I expect nothing less, sad really.

wicker_man
I mean it wasn't the best film but it doesn't deserved to be banned.

Capt_Fantastic
Well, they need to ban it, because a lot of the people who live there haven't experienced any "biological changes over time" in quit a long time.

I go to Atlanta a lot, it's great. However, driving through the state, you realize the logic in this move.

Fire
pretty weak but well if the ppl want it

silver_tears
I feel sorry for the children there that are going to enter the real word where not everything is so sheltered roll eyes (sarcastic) I mean really, evolution, what's so bad about that. A word like any other.

mook
ash007>Its really wired they plan to ban the word evolution from Georgia's science curriculum and replacing it with the phrase "biological changes over time.
This in mu pwn perosnall opinion is way over the top. They are only doing it because some parent sobject to the word evolution becsuse it goes agains there religous belief.

this is why i hate religion.

If someone is stupid enough to believe that God made Adam and then made Eve out of his rib (wtf?!) then they deserved to get offended so they can wake up and embrace science/logic/rational thought rather than out-dated stories and superstitions.

rusky
Dude...it's not the movie...it's the WORD 'evolution'...even wors..

Linkalicious
yeah i knew it was a statute...i was more worried about making sure i had the correct state. And i agree...totally possible.

bjladd
Science and the scientific method is infallible... unfortunately, scientific theories (as history certainly proves) more often than not do not merit such distinctions. Less than a century ago, Newtonian mechanics had a monopoly on the way all physical phenomena was observed to move... this theory, while tenable for most practical engineering purposes, did not hold up to the rigor of modern experimental evidence. Rather, objects moving close to the speed of light clearly violated these accepted laws, and thank God for Einstein, these results were explained by the discovery of relativity.

Now, the scientific method is absolutely infallible (no one would dare to disagree with that--least of all Christian fundamentalists), but if we were to insist that Newton's ways were objectively correct and above refutation, we would NOT have been able to send a man to the moon.

My point is this: cosmically, to believe in the supernatural creation of this world by an Almighty creator is not at all scientifically refuted--still less that Adam was created from the dirt and that Eve was created from one of Adam's ribs considering that most of our bodies are composed of elements similar to those found in various soils. If modern evolution theory wants to paint a different picture than that, and to somehow provide striking evidence to the contrary for something that happened approximately 5,000 years ago--please, I'd love to see it... but as for me? I am much more inclined to believe the Author's account of the origins of the world than man's grave suspicions.

Don't get me wrong... I think evolution should be taught in schools concurrently with creationist theory and that it should be the parents who decide which lessons they wish their children to attend. I don't see what changing the word "evolution" would do for the Christian cause.

Well just a few thoughts... God bless you all.

John 3:16

BackFire
man, people sure are stupid sometimes, thank god for southpark, the last voice of reason and logic that is out there.

Cinemaddiction
Great! Another member for my "Anti-Orlando Jones" Fanclub! Here's hoping there are never sequels to "Evolution" or "The Replacements".

By the way, while I am totally against P.C. The whole God/Darwin thing is rather moot.

Scientists can't prove evolution, and nobody can prove Adam and Eve ever existed. However, being a Christian myself, I tend to believe that I started out as some form of man, and not created out of space dust and particles.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.