Fawlty Towers

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

wicker_man
Although they only made twelve episodes in total i never get tired of watching them, this is well and truly a timeless classic, Basil Fawlty (John Cleese) is one of those people on the edge of a breakdown portrayed in a comedy style that only Cleese knows how. Not to mention the support of Andrew Sachs as the lovable but dunce Manuel, Basil's little 'Nest of Vipers' Sybill portrayed wonderfully by Prunella Scales and Basils little 'ray of light' Polly portrayed by Cleese's then wife Connie Booth.

Any other fans out there ???

andyF1

MsFit
Ah, Basil Fawlty. Bitter, rude, selfish, bad- tempered. Gotta love him! Even though I've seen all twelve episodes about a billion times I'd still rather watch Fawlty Towers than 'The Office' or any of these other new 'comedies'. In fact it would be great to see David Brent working for basil. That really would be hilarious. laughing out loud

shaber
Yeah, Fawlty is a nasty, vicious, neurotic manic hotelier isn't he laughing out loud

"Hows the pain, quite painful, you say?" <Claps and rubs his hands together...>

Do you recall the episode where there are all the "hotel inspectors" and that other one with the deaf woman from Hell! I was considerably tickled by the one with the builders!

Basil Fawlty was based on an actual Torquay hotelier whom Cleese encountered once. Apart from Basil of course, the others characters are typical roles, but Fawlty is a real creation.

The Office is funniest to those who know about that sort of place. In a paper office, the workers will often look for ecentricities to relieve the monotony of their bare unsatisfying lives - like the Two Minutes Hate. There are a lot of people like Brent. That 'presentation' he did was ridiculous!
laughing

burlyman
Fawlty Towers is great rock

msj_shanks
man i love fawlty towers
ive got all 12 episodes on dvd!
im a huge fan of john cleese and the monty python gang.

Hot Hedgehog
One of my favourite shows of all time. Just anything that Manuel or Basil says is enough to have me laughing. My favourite moment has to be in Basil the Rat, where Manuel's pet rat is on the loose and a public health inspector is...inspecting. The Major has just tried to shoot the rat (Basil).
Manuel: Polly, he alright? Is he alright?
Polly: Yes.
Manuel: He no dead?
Polly: No, it was just the Major letting the gun off.
Manuel: The Major tried to kill Basil?
Sybill: Kill Basil?
Manuel: No, not Mr. Fawlty, I mean Basil, my little ra...
Polly: Ratatouie!
Inspector: Basil...the little...?
Polly: Ratatouie. The chef calls the ratatouie Basil because he puts quite a lot of basil in it.
Manuel: (surprised and shouting) He put Basil in the ratatouie!
Polly: Yes!
Manuel: (Screams)
(Polly chases after him into the kitchen and various shouts are heard)
Sybil: (to Inspector) He's from Barcelona...
Priceless.

T.M
Great program cant believe they only made 12 episodes

the best one was with the Germans when Basil has concussion

Basil: well you started it.
Guest: no we didn't !
Basil: yes you did you invaded Poland. laughing out loud

Blue Dragon
Fawlty Towers is great!
"Mister Fowlty, Mr Fowlty!" laughing out loud Manwell is great!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.