The happiest ending for a character

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

shadowy_blue
This could be from "The Silmarillion", "The Hobbit", or "The Lord of the Rings".

Who are the characters that you think had the happiest ending? Who do you think lived happily ever after, or who do you think had a bittersweet ending? Who are the characters who really had a bitter ending?

I always cry when I read the books and get to the end. The very last line in the book is a shot through my silly little heart. It's such a happy ending, but also such a bittersweet ending in a lot of ways.

I was just wondering what people thought about the end of the books. Some characters die, some character live on to uncertain fates and some get the ultimate "happily ever after" treatment.

Do you think things played out well? Are there characters or events you wished Tolkien had wrapped up differently? Is there anything that just doesn't make sense?

shadowy_blue
I love the ending in the books. It's such a happy ending but at the same time it's so sad. I think the saddest part besides Frodo leaving Middle Earth would be the Ents. Almost all the characters got some kind of happy ending except the Ents who still don't know about the Entwives' whereabouts. Although it would be great if they managed to find them somehow, a part of me is being really pessimistic and thinks that the Entwives all died when the war came or fled east and died there.

I also always make myself believe that Eowyn and Faramir lived happily ever after because they deserve it. All their life they experienced despair and all the loved ones they had were lost. I think they deserve to be happy with each other for the rest of the time that was left to them.

Isildur's end is also tragic. Sure it was his fault to keep the Ring, but then again...maybe not. He kept the Ring as a weregild for his father's death but still the Ring betrayed him at the end.

Boromir's too is very bittersweet. He died and redeemed himself, but he never saw the White City and his people being saved. But then again, he saved a lot of people. He saved both Merry and Pippin, and Pippin afterwards saved Faramir, and Merry saved Eowyn. And Eowyn and Faramir soon afterwards met at the Houses of Healing. If not for Boromir at the first place I wouldn't have my favorite LOTR couple. big grin

I's also fond of picturing what it was like when Sam finally came to Valinor and finally saw Frodo again. Is Frodo dead already when Sam came? Or was Frodo in his deathbed? Were they very happy and jumping and laughing on the bed when they saw each other? Did they die at the same time? It's all open to interpretation.

Exa

Camellia
I think the story of Eowyn and Faramir is lovelysmile

shadowy_blue
I also don't know what to feel about Gollum's end. I guess I'm both sad and happy for him. Sad because of everything he went through because of the Ring, but then again, maybe even before the Ring came to his life, "Gollum" is already inside him, just waiting to be unleashed. And the Ring made it for him. I'm also kinda happy of his end because he seems very happy. He died holding the Ring that he's been lusting for for several decades. Notice in the movie, he tried his best to push the Ring up while he was burning in the lava just so he can see it as long as possible and to protect it from being "hurt". sad

shadowy_blue
Aaaww...bad..bad....sad I also like Fingolfin's. He died fighting Melkor, and it wasn't very easy for Melkor too.

Nienor and Turin's end. sad They both fell in love not knowing that they're siblings. I know it's incest but they have no idea. I'm very sad for them. Turin will never be happy. Damn Melkor and his curse. mad stick out tongue

BingaBonga
I know! I feel so bad for Beleg, but anyway, about Sauron. He didn't really die did he? His spirit just drifted away never to be seen again... right. Now, maybe he died, but I'm not for sure.

Exa

rianna_d
I think Andreth and Aegnor had one of the most tragic endings... everytime I think about them I get very sad!
*sniff*
sad

Exa
You're right... poor Andreth *cries* I always wondered why things like this didnt also happen between Idril and Tuor or other love stories between mortals and elves.

aniron
sniff sniff in my heart lotr hasn't finished sniff sniff

sauron
sauron didnt die big grin he is currently in the void...with melkor...partying his brains out big grinbig grin so dont be too upset...

aniron
ok, hey do you think that the elves left britain when they went onto the ships and have gone to somewhere like france of africa? just a thought

rianna_d
I guess that's what happens when an elf falls in love with a mortal woman sad so... stay away Legolas fans wink

Idril and Tuor were lucky, but poor Andreth and Aegnor... it would be so nice if they make a movie about them stick out tongue

*cries again*

muse5
i think that faramir and eowyn's story ended the best, as shadowy said before, after all the despair that they faced they found each other. We can thank boromir for that whole thing happening, yeah for boromir being corrupt then redeeming himself at the end,

Kitoky
Happiest moment = Boromir comes back, teams up with the Witch King and Sauron and take over the world. smile

muse5
that would be kinda cool

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.