Why did no-one stop Isildur?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

ash007
When Elrond led Isildur to Mount Doom to destroy the Ring and Isildur refused why did Elrond just let him walk away? Couldn't Elrond have hit Isildur on the head ,knocking him out, and then just destroy the Ring. Isildur would have woken up with a headache but would he not have understood why? Even after that the whole Last Alliance just went home without trying to do anything about the fact that the Ring was not destroyed. Could the Elves not have persuaded the Men that Isildur was under the influence of the Ring and that it should be destroyed rather than just everyone just packing up and going home?

confused

nazgulinthedark
...well, i f some one did, then there would be no ringwraiths...so they were obviously thinking of my future

ash007
yeah i know but i need to know why because he could have saved a whole lot of trouble.,

But then again Aragon would never be king

PippinTook
laughing out loud @ Naz

Of course, they were obviously thinking of you, Naz. If no Nazgul existed, what would your life have been like?? confused

ash007
you know what naz i just actuyally got what u were saying lol keep on forgetting u are a Nazgul fan.

Bar-en-Danwedh
yeah, if were Elrond i would have pushed him in!

PippinTook
Why did no one stop Isildur? Who knows? Who cares? Gah....

Sorry people. I'm tired and grumpy but I don't wanna leave laughing out loud

BingaBonga
Elrond was just a counselor, he couldn't have done anything else. Anyway, he is wise, and his heart knows better than to mess with the ring. It was the doom of men to have the ring corrupt their minds.

Firithlotwen
mmmm well what if gollum wasn't there when frodo did not throw the ring?
it's sort of the same thing........

Bloom4ever
And there wouldnt hav been any lORD Of the rings for PJ to make into a movie so KMC would neva hav created the lotr forum and all of us on here wld have long perished and might hav been HP fans.
Oh wait, there wouldnt be any HP either if Tolkien hadnt written lotr

BingaBonga
It's just fun to analyze things like that... just think how the story would turn... but you should probably start with things that could have happened, and not have changed the story plot like that.

shaber
Isildur was a very strong man and had a very forceful personality. That course of action would not have been very easy, though it would have been for the best sad

BingaBonga
The minds of men can easily be corrupted...

Bloom4ever
Bingabonga, where've you been? D'you only come out at night lol? stick out tongue

Kitoky
Like Binga said, Isildur was easily corrupted and if Elrond would've tried to take the ring Isildur will slip it on, invisibly beat the elven chit outta Elrond and make this huge grudge against the elves instead of the elves havin' a big grudge against the men.

shadowy_blue
It could also be theorized that maybe Elrond himself is afraid of the Ring and the last thing he wants is to wrestle with Isildur and touch the Ring.

Binga's post is logical too. Elrond and Cirdan (book wise) are just counselors and they can't do anything about it. Or maybe also because neither Cirdan nor Elrond foresaw that Isildur keeping the Ring for himself will have very HUGE consequences than they have expected. All are open to interpretation.

BingaBonga
I suppose, I am a night owl... shifty No, I've been very busy lately... volleyball, homework, friends, more friends, friends issues, gah... but I'm back... or it least for a little while...

Melani
if they did stop him then there would be NO lotR there would be no Naz no Gollum ... ect

BingaBonga
Well, let's just say, if they wanted to make it lotr, Sauron would have to forge another ring.

shadow link
did he know exactly how vital it was to destroy it, maybe he only realised after that he could have saved the world, and yeah isildur was like some king guy and elrond was just a counceller, it wouldnt have been his place

Kitoky
But then again no one foresaw that Isildur would chop off Sauron's damn fingers and end the world of all evil. BOOOOOOOOOO ISILDUR!!!

Discos
men and elves could have taken oathes not to touch the king and carry out his judgements and demands, Isildur kept the ring and therefore no one could argue....he was the new king after all.

Maikahyandowen
one doesn't simply SHOVE the king of Gondor......

sauron
hey...sauron was gone (so they thought) there job was gone...what harm could his ring do

if only they knew

angelsflame265
when ever i watch the first movie i always yell at elrond to pust Isildur in no one ever listens to me

Discos
I know, movies can be such annoying when they dont do as their told.....

sauron
yeah lol big grin

kill him boromir...ahh mov theres an arrow....MOVE!!!! I SAID MOVE!!!!!!!!!!! NOOOOO!

oh wait hes still alive...big grin YEY!!! OH MY GOD MOVE!!!!!!!!

i give up

aniron
ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha I litrually lol with that ha ha ha ha ha ha

Bloom4ever
lol i dont kno why i even bother shoutin at the screen, i might as well jus tell the wall to move

Chapel
I think you will find that at the last alliance Elrond was more than a councillor, he was Gil-Galads standard bearer and even in the film they show him fighting.
I think its more to do with the consequences of Elrond taking the Ring from Isildur by force (he would probably have to kill him to get it), even if he could resist the rings power and destroy it there would still be war between Elves and men

sauron
my wall does move!

Kitoky
Same here! And it talks to!

Bloom4ever
confused err i'm sure it does wink

Discos
my walls seem to get stolen

Discos - probably because I steel them first

Smodden
just think if elrond would have fought with isildur.. and isildur killed elrond. and the ring still got away.

than what would have happend to the story with no elrond in it???

Discos
good point, I am not sure if anyone would have knew how to actually destroy the ring, perhaps Gandalf would have took a stab at it I suppose.

well Tolkien didnt write about Elrond stopping him and there it stands in the film....

I actually think there are many good points here (apart from saying Elrond would have actually fought Isildur or took the ring or being scared...they are stupid smile)

In Aragorns speech at the black gate he says"oaths which you have taken" - men take oaths and no one would dare discourage the king!

Discos - I mean even Theoden said in ROTK that they would basically not win the war but they would ride to battle anyway, you think the Rohirrim didnt think of simply "bailing"

Bloom4ever
oh, so he was thinking about Hugo Weaving's welfare too reading very thoughtful

Gollum_Gal
"When Elrond led Isildur to Mount Doom to destroy the Ring and Isildur refused why did Elrond just let him walk away? Couldn't Elrond have hit Isildur on the head ,knocking him out, and then just destroy the Ring. Isildur would have woken up with a headache but would he not have understood why? Even after that the whole Last Alliance just went home without trying to do anything about the fact that the Ring was not destroyed. Could the Elves not have persuaded the Men that Isildur was under the influence of the Ring and that it should be destroyed rather than just everyone just packing up and going home?"

I know ... i would have pushed him or something... but then there would be no story.... and if theres no ring then smeagol would have not killed deagol and went off into the mountains and lived there for a long time and bilbo would not have stole it and frodo would not have gotten it and he would not have had to go through the trouble of putting it into mount doom and boromir would not have died and there would be no evil and no orcs and the dwarves of moria would be alive and i think ya'll get it now lol...... so i'm going to shut up..... lol.......

Gollum_Gal
i dont know how to do that quotie thingy sop bear w/ me

Discos
lol ok. at the bottom right hand corner of everyones post there is a "edit" & "quote" option,

erm, killing Isildur would have been a bad move on Elronds part, killing the king and also losing his self respect and the respect of others.

Gollum_Gal
"When Elrond led Isildur to Mount Doom to destroy the Ring and Isildur refused why did Elrond just let him walk away? Couldn't Elrond have

Discos
? sorry but we usually finish things before posting that "send" button

shadowy_blue
I just thought about this. If Elrond took the Ring from Isildur and destroyed it at that instant, neither of them will survive because Mt. Doom will explode. They wouldn't be saved by the Eagles also because the Eagles aren't present at that time. But then again...maybe they are. But just think about it. Elrond and Isildur both dead..and Arwen wouldn't have his daddy telling her to stay away from Aragorn until he becomes King. Every plot will be absent if this happened. big grin

Maikahyandowen
the people in the movies hear you, they just choose to ignore you. jerks.....
whack him Sam! whack him!!

rianna_d
Actually... Arwen was born after the Last Alliance, so, if Elrond was dead, Arwen would have never been born... and Aragorn would have meet Eowyn and married her, so Faramir would have ended all alone.

eek!

Maikahyandowen
poor Faramir. eek! what if Aragorn married Eowyn instead??!!!! ahhhh!!!!

BingaBonga
I would like that better, but I like Eowyn and Faramir.

Iirima

feanor
well if Elrond were dead, then he couldn't have raised Aragorn, and if Aragorn had not learned his true heritage then he'd be just a ranger for life...nor would he have gone on to the world in search of adventures for the love of Arwen. Alas Gondor would have been lost long ago had he not been there to turn the tide as Thorongil, etc. etc. etc.

Iirima
All he would do is roam about, and he'd wonder why he was living and he'd just stay that way, poor aragorn!

Maikahyandowen
his mom told him about his heritage, not Elrond. he lived in Rivendale to keep him safe from Sauron.

Iirima
Rivendell. And to keep him safe from Boromir and Faramir. stick out tongue

Maikahyandowen
who needs saving from Faramir????? he's so nice!

Iirima
well, I liked him in the book, but in the movie, he seemed quite evil to sam and frodo for a while. But then he gets very nice. I lurve Faramir. He's quite cool.

Maikahyandowen
in the movie..... i go by the book. he's so cool either way, but Peter Jackson was kinda mean to him, what w/ the attempting to steal the ring and such.

Iirima
I know! Book is almost always better.

Bar-en-Danwedh
no no. Mt doom only exploded because Sauron was, more or less, forced to use Barad-dur as a 'body' and when the ring was destroyed so was he. and so the tower came down crashing causing huge tremors throughout Gorgoroth, making the volcanic state of doom unstable...
back in the day, it would have been fine... (me thinks)

soory, work related alchol consumption has made me less than coherrrrrnt.... rolling on floor laughing smokin'

Maikahyandowen
filthy little director, he made Faramir look bad........ mad

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.