Why GL named Dooku Darth Tyrannus...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

bigsef2
Its interesting really. Tyrannus is not just some name GL made up because it sounded ferocious, intended to remind us of the famed dinosaur.

TYRANNUS is actually a greek name, meaning "absolute ruler" or "soverign." Tyrannus is a name mentioned in the Bible, connected with a renounded greek school.

Anyway, I find the fact that the name means "absolute ruler" very intersting in light of Dookus possible motives and HIS plans for the galaxy. I have my own theory, but I would like to see some of you guys' speculation first.

yerssot
great! SPOILERS!!! (and I'm NOT going to nagg Ush!)

pfff, every name in Star Wars has a meaning

Ushgarak
Oh, it;s hardly a major spoiler...

Tyrannus is actually Latin.

yerssot
if you are totally spoiler free then this one is new!

Well, we also have Dutch so, what's the problem?

bigsef2
latin is a language. greek is a language, but also a culture. considering GL has taken alot of Star wars from Greek mythology, its not surprising, if he chose the name of an ancient greek scholar, whose name when translated to latin, means absolute ruler....
so why would GL give Dooku a name that means absolute ruler...

Phanekim
then what would vader and maul mean.

yerssot
because he is very good with a sabre?

bigsef2
im not sure what vader means. but maul is just a generic ferocious name. in the grand scheme of things, maul is an entirely unimportant character, so he gets a generic name.

yerssot
sorry, didn't saw your post Ph!

Vader means Father in Dutch
Maul means: double hamer, clumsy (clumsy death huh) and something else I forgot

Phanekim
tyrannus = greek

then vader = dutch...and maul = german?

hrmm eek!

yerssot
Ush said it was LATIN, not greek!

Maul is old english, not german

Julie
So what's it mean then?

Captain REX
Maul has to do with Darth Maul's lightsaber. Double-edged. Duh!

I think Vader means Father. I don't know...

Tyrannus makes sense. Dooku is leading the group against the Galactic Republic. Gosh, read some spoilers.

Julie
Why do all the names have to have meanings ....couldn't they just be really cool names????

yerssot
REX, already said that!

You don't know the meanings, before this thread, I don't think many people knew that EVERY name has a meaning

Ushgarak
They are just cool names.

yerssot
WITH a meaning

finti
not all has to have a meaning, espesially names.

yerssot
give an example

Ushgarak
Errr... I don't think you are looking hard enough if you can't find a name that doesn't really mean anything, yerss.

Really, they are just cool, intimidating sounding names.

yerssot
Like in:
ackbar:An Arabic title meaning "very great".
Akbar Kahn was the great Mogul whose Empire spanned all N. India from Kashmir to Behar. A just ruler, allowing religious freedom - he was a patron of art and literature.

mah
what does Roy mean?

yerssot
ha! what a stupid name!

It's from Gaelic, means "red"
can also be related with the old french spelling of roi, wich means king

Ushgarak
But it's still not meant to convey anything. At all. Meaning is not their intent, merely identification.

Same with these Sith names.

yerssot
they all have a meaning, but you don't think about it

Ushgarak
1. How do you know?

2. If you are right, why do they bother?

bigsef2
names of important title characters are different. they were picked to have specific meanings.

-vader was picked because it means father in dutch.
-yoda, if i recall means wise one in some language or another.
-hans last name is solo, because it identifies the type of rogue character he is.

other names dont specifically tell who the person is, as much as just give a vague impression of who the person is.
-darth MAUL. doesnt really mean anything. just meant to sound menacing.
-lando calrisian. doesnt mean anything, but meant to sound charismatic, because lando is charismatic.

there are two possibilities for why GL chose to name dooku darth tyrannus.
1. its just meant to sound scary. GL has done this with minor characters, such as lando and darth maul.

But I beleive GL had a little more in mind. do you think GL chose the name simply because it sounded mencacing? Hardly. that would imply a connection the scary dinosaur name, which is simply cheesy.

tyrannus means "soveriegn, or absolute, ruler. I think GL chose that name because that is what Dooku wants. He wants to rule the galaxy. But for different motives than Sidious. Dooku left the Jedi order because he disagreed with the Council's politics, most noteably thier doing whatever the Chancellor wanted. Its also rumored that Dooku dillusionally beleives he is the chosen one. This would add weight to GL giving him the name because he felt he had the right to rule the universe. He feels that he is the chosen one, and can bring balance to the force. but he must play Palpatine to do it, to become the absolute power in the galaxy. Dooku knows Palpatine is corrupt. He knows a more just leader is needed. He feels because he is the chosen one, he is the one to do it. This is not a stretch, in ESB, Vader wanted Luke to join him so they could bring peace and order to the galaxy. The chosen one brings order. Dooku is just mistaken in his aspirations. In the end, I beleive he realizes the error of his ways, and returns to the light side

Ushgarak
Queeq is Dutch and I have heard him question whether the name Vader was picked for that reason at all.

yerssot
Yoda means: is the punjabi word meaning "great warrior."
is also Japanese for "conclusion"
In Hebrew, 'yodeah' means "knows". Yoda is one who knows, one who is wise

Like I said:
Maul= 1) to handle clumsily, paw (it was a clumsy death),
2) to batter or lacerate
3) a heavy two handed hammer.

Ushgarak
Maul is just a harsh sounding name.

There was a HUGE debate about this on TFN a while back, I remember. But there is no evidence that GL is picking these names on any criteria other than the fact that they sound cool and evil.

yerssot
Maul according to the Oxford English Dictionary means - "tear the flesh of, or claw."
Collins dictionary says:
1) to handle clumsily, paw (it was a clumsy death),
2) to batter or lacerate
3) a heavy two handed hammer.

And if I remember correctly, on the DVD, the internet documentaries, the first one there...
he had a lot of books to look stuff up

finti
looking forward to meaning of the Organa name big grin

Ushgarak
I KNOW what Maul MEANS, thankyou, yerss! I justndispute your direct linking of Maul's name to that meaning!

finti
Leia Organa????????????

Ushgarak
Leia is a big furry badger and Organa a form of dental floss.

Obvious now you look at her, eh?

finti
explanation please Yers big grin

bigsef2
GL doesnt just make up names. Star wars IS and epic after all. some names can just be made up. others for important, integral characters have deep meanings behind them. thats how an epics work. thats what GL did with Star wars. deal with it. :-)

Ushgarak
Prove it.

finti

bigsef2
we already have. weve provided all the evidence supporting our view of the characters and names. you have provided absolutely no evidence that the names are purely coincidental. you prove it.

finti
ok Leia Organa, Snaggletooth, Lando Carlrissian, Dodonna
Captain Antilles, Gerneral Veers, Captain Needa, Palaptine, Amidala

Ushgarak
You haven't even come CLOSE to proving it, bigsef. You've just listed a few names with meanings. So what?

And answer Finti. I suppose that Bail Organa is named after a bucket and Sntilles is named after the islands.

And Chewbacca? Simply a random name he thought up, as he said in interview. And the poor Calamari- named after squids!

The whole 'Sith names meaning something' thing came entirely from Vader, which is highly disputed. They just take and use evil-sounding names. If you are seriously telling me Darth Maul is so named because he mauls people then I am in hysterics!

bigsef2
it amazes me how absent minded people can be when they reply to comments without reading other peoples statements. if you look at the longer post i made a while back, i addressed all those issues. and i mentioned lando by name. suffice to say, none of those are major characters, and this discussion is about major characters.

Ushgarak
I read what you said just fine. I am, not even vaguely convinced. You have not come close to forming a coherent argument. You cannot prove any continuous link between character's names and the meanings behind them.

yerssot
Ush, you didn't asked nicely!

Finti: Organa is a play on words and it's supposed to suggest "organic". It is also an Old French name meaning "Organ Maker". This fits in well with the present "organic" definition. Both give a feeling of anti war - anti "hard -edged technology" as Alderaan certainly is. Lucas originally spelled the name Ogana
Perhaps Organa is related to the name "Morgana." Morgana was the step-sister of King Arthur in the Arthurian cycle of myths.

finti
Palpatine is a major characther

Ushgarak
Yerssot- PROVE that. You SAY Organa is meant to suggest organics, but do you have the SLIGHTEST evidence for such a tenuous link? Doubly so your strange Morgana idea.

People read FAR too much into this sort of thing.

yerssot
Palpatine: may have been derived from a few places.
The word "palpatate," means "a violent, uncontrolled spasm."
The word "palpate" means "examining by feeling."
Also, there was a man in 17th Century Austria named Palatine. He was a lowly senator who manipulated his way into power.
The word palatine, derived from the Latin word "palatinus", has two interesting definitions which have a strange connection to the character of Palpatine. They are:
1. A feudal lord having sovereign power within his domains.
2. A high officer of an imperial palace.

finti
He is called PALPATINE so your expalnation is NADA and a waste of time.

Ushgarak
Again, PROVE these links. Look far enough and you can make any name mean anything.

BTW, Chewbacca is ALSO a major character.

yerssot
Ush, you can't proof these things, you know that!

And I KNOW what his name is finti, you just don't take all the names litterally! (because then everyone knows where it comes from)

Chuwbacco is from Chuwing Tobacco, yes I know, it's one of the few names that don't have anything in comment with the person (perhaps the brown color?)
I never said (I think) that ALL the names have a meaning

finti
oh and the word Vader does in some areas of Norway mean walking in shallow water. confused So who is to know

Ushgarak
That's feeble for Chewbacca. GL has told us where the name comes from- it just popped into his head one day while he was looking at a dog.

No, you can't prove these things, and they all sound very tenuous. Yet you expect us to accept them all. Strange.

And that's true, Finti. For every relevant base that people can come up with, you can almost always come up with another totally irrelevant one.

This whole naming thing is a theory that no official source has ever even come close to confirming. If you want to discuss theory, fine, but don't expect the rest of us to beleive it and certainly don't tell us to 'deal with it'.

yerssot
No

It's just that a lot of those names have strange things attached to themselfs,
indeed, you have Chuwbacca, and R2-D2 and C-3PO (that name came after a few moments in GL's mind)
But there ARE names with a lot of meaning

Ushgarak
Well, let's look at the top billed characters:

Luke Skywalker. Luke is a common name, and Skywalker means about as much as Starkiller

Han Solo. You can make a cruse lnik to him wnating to work on his own, but even that doesn't work as he just doesn't like taking orders. He LOVES being in a team.

Leia Organa. Pretty meaningless

Tarkin. Likewise

Vader. RUMOURED to mean Father, but never confirmed and seen as rather suspect in the country from which the word is meant to mean that!

Obi-Wan Kenobi. Good luck! Same again with 'Ben'

The droids: Named, at best, after film reels.

Anakin: A biblical giant? Doubt it! The old theories about the name maning 'unrelated' are pretty out of there as well, now.

Qui-Gonn-Jinn- Probably the most likely to have any meaning

Palpatine: Gets all those Emperor rumours because he sounds like a hill... hmm... not impossible, though.

Yoda: MIGHT mean something as well. Only might.

As a theory, it simply does not hold water!

yerssot
I'm not doing them all today
Luke: Luke is an English word meaning "light" or "white."
Interestingly enough, Luke is also means "a descendant of Lucas

Tarkin: Wilhuf sounds very Aryan in origin (as do many Imperial names!) Aryans being Caucasian (aha, a link!!!) Aryan from Sanskrit arya - "of noble birth." (note the very English accents of the Imperial officers.)

Tarkin
Tarquinius, Lucrius Pricius: (616 - 579) 5th of the early kings of Rome. Much loved for his wisdom and courage. Defeated both the Latins and Sabines.

Brewsters Dictionary of Phrase and Fable (1956 edit): Tarquin - Tarquinus Sextus (grandson of the above) committed the rape of Lucretia, in revenge for which the Tarquins were banished from Rome and a Republic established.

Ushgarak
More likely Luke S sounded good to GL.

Wilhulf not being used in ther film doesn't make it very relevant, though using Germanic naames for Imperials is hardly deep meaning.

And neither Tarquin looks even remotely like a link to ouir favourite planet destroyer.

yerssot
Strange, Tarquin (if you speak it in the Dutch way) is very similar to Tarkin

Ushgarak
That iI don't deny; it's the historical relevance of it I don't get.

yerssot
wisdom: Tarkin WAS wise, otherwhise you don't become Grand Moff
courage: he led the attack against the rebels, he had plenty of courage (and too much faith) with that

Ushgarak
That is SO lose! So very, VERY lose! There are SO many others who better sum up that quality! Using a Tarquin as a reference for bravery is amazingly odd! To the point of being unbelievable.

yerssot
yeah, I should be writer smokin'

Ushgarak
You're too smart for that.

bigsef2
OK, i am sorry, but what more proof do you need, ush and finiti? youre being absolutely rediculous. yess logically broked down the source of the name palpatine to its roots and what they mean, and possible connections to various past things, and you say to show proof. what kind of proof are you talking about? a scan of george lucas' thoughts?! a statement made by george lucas: "i picked the name so and so because of...." thats absolutely ludicrous. Yess, has shown as much proof as is humanly possible for someone that is not george lucas, or a close associate thereof. theres no way to prove it conclusively. you just have to not be blinded by your own opinions and except the evidence presented

sand person no. 10
i cannot believe what i'm reading, do you people really believe that gl sat down while writing star wars and thought, "i know I'll think of a name that people in 30 years time will start arguing about." there are that many ancient languages that any sw's name could be construed to mean something.

whats boba fett mean, = some bloke who appears for a minute and falls into some monsters mouth???

i'll admit that maul and sidious sound threatening, as does tyrannus (wheres the proof thats his real name) but all this crap about peoples names meaning, rubbish. i could type all day about sw's symbolism, but most of the time its just gl following basic story telling rules, i.e vaders sabre red, lukes blue. names are just names, we're not talking about roman or greek gods you know.

If it wasn't for the eu and toys we wouldn't know half the names of the sw's characters anyway.

finti
Actually Aryan was a race that lived around the areas of Eastern Iran ,Afghanistan and central Asia, they called the land Khorasan.
European scholars have put the word Aryan into association with meaning White europeans and later on .the Nazi used it for what it was worth.
But the Aryan was used to describe these people who where taller and lighter skined than the other innhabitans of that part of the world.
Even today Iran is a non Arabic country with an non arabic language, and the Iranians are lighter skined than their Arabic neighbours.

finti
Dont be so god damned arogant, we have a different view on this than you have. And you all havent come up with a single argument that can state what you are insinuating at. You listet a lot of bull about some names that are simmilare to the SW names.
Do you really think Lucas stuck his nose into every name there is just to find it suitable to portray a charachter.
An example Vader meaning different things in Dutch and Norwegian. After ESB some "smart people" said oh of course Vader actually means father in Dutch (questionable). This is way to lame...

yerssot
no
Fett probably comes from the word "fetter," which means "to restrict or confine - a chain or bond fastned round the ankle." This sits a little better with the Bounty Hunter lifestyle.

In Polish, Boba means "trapper (usually of marmots)."

sand person no. 10
i'm not trying to rubbish the idea that SOME names might have a meaning i'm just saying that there are that many languages, different cultures, regional variations on languages that any name in the sw's universe being as diverse as it is could be construed to mean anything. i just find it highly unlikely and improbable that lucas with a cast of thousands would have bothered to have named every character with a special name.

Obviously Porkins that fat x-wing pilot who canned it did look like a pig though. laughing out loud

yerssot
you see!

master harmax
yerss has a point you know - vader for one definitely does mean father - maul suggests the type of guy maul is - a ferocious warrior - and tyrannus does mean absolute ruler, which is basically what Dooku is aiming to be - yoda does mean "great warrior" in sanskrit - these are just a few examples - maybe some of the names like chewbacca mean nothing - but a lot of the names have been carefully chosen because of their significance -

yerssot
there are actually quite a few words that come from Sanskrit in SW...

master harmax
you see - in episode 2, when we see more of mace windu, his name's significance is gonna become apparent as well
jabba for instance - jabbar is the muslim name for a rogue warrior chief from the middle east around the 13th/14th century.

Ushgarak
Weill people STOP stating the Vader=father thing as fact! That this meaning was deliberate is a THEORY, not proof, and stands very badly up to the fact that Vader was NOT Luke's father- or mant to be a father of any sort- when the character was created and named! In the original scipt Vader died at the end of ANH. The whole thing is a nonsense.

And Finti is right, bigsef. If you call that proof you are very arrogant indeed to think we should accept it.

yerssot
Well, and if Vader died, it could well be that OB1 told Luke later on that Vader was his father

Ushgarak
Nope! In the original version, Vader was just a bad guy, he wasn't Anakin.

queeq
You're sure? I thought the very first draft was about a father and his son. I think this father-son+redemption thing is where GL started with in he first plae.

Ushgarak
Annikin Starkiller was IN the first draft as a character with Luke. All clearly laid out in the BTM cd.

You can also hear GL talking about this original story in the Omnibus programme made about STar Wars, screened on the BBC just before TPM came out. Francis Ford Coppola preferred that original version; GL says how he prefers what he changed it into, of course.

master harmax
Actually one interesting thing is, the idea that "Darth" would be a prefix to all sith lords was never in Lucas' mind in the beginning - I think that happened only with the TPM ( if that's the way it is in EU then I stand corrected - but I haven't read any EU ) - but that's definitely not the way it was at the time of the OT - because of one exchange between Vader and Obi Wan when they were dueling :
Vader : "When I left you I was but the learner - now I am the master " ( or something like that )
Obi Wan : "Only a master of evil DARTH " - the point being Obi Wan said "Darth" addressing him as if Darth was his first name and Vader his second - now that's not the way it is - Darth is just a common prefix to all sith lords, and Vader is his specific name - but at the time of the OT, or at least at the time of ANH, Lucas definitely had not planned it that way, otherwise he would never allowed a line like "only a master of evil DARTH" - it would have been " only .... evil, Darth Vader ", or " only ...... evil, Vader "

yerssot
Darth is just a title;

It's not that Master Qui Gon has as first name master

bigsef2
that was his point, yers

yerssot
It was?
well, I tend to read only half of someones post when it's long and without any white in between

master harmax
You want me start typing in double-lined spacing, whenever I go into one of my thesis modes, yerss ? cool

yerssot
would be nice actually,
just use the enter-button sometimes please smile

master harmax
ok _____________________________ i'll____________________________make______________
_______________sure_______________________________
i______________________________do_________________
_____________that_________________________________
___in_________________________-the_______________________________--future_______________________________-------- big grin

yerssot
almost funny, and waaaaaaaaaaaay offtopic

master harmax
right, er ...... as i was saying - you do have a point about the significant names thing at least with some cases e.g. Darth Vader, Darth Maul, Darth Tyrannus, Yoda, Organa, jabba the hutt

- another interesting one i just thought of - in sanskrit the word " padma " means lotus - and is usually used as a descriptive adjective for delicate beauty - so padme also seems to fit the bill.

Ushgarak
No, Vader did NOT mean anything, as I have said several times He was not originally ANYONE'S father!! Nor does Organa! Nor does Maul- even Bigsef said that!

yerssot
Amidala could also be a wordplay on Dalai Lama, both young rulers who had to abonden their country

mah
laughing out loud that's farfetched

yerssot
I know, just popped in my head

finti
I wouldnt call Dalai Lama a ruler....

yerssot
religous ruler

Darth Ninja
Is it even comfirmed that Dooku is Darth Tyrannus or even a Sith instead of a powerful Dark Jedi working with Darth Sidious/Palpatine?

yerssot
good question, but always two there are, a master and an apprentice...
And Darth Sidious is the master...

sand person no. 10
I've said this before, there is no proof that darth tyranus and dooku are the same name, there even hasn't been confirmation that there is someone called darth tyranus. A question about dooku being sidious's apprentice does arise though, how long can sidious go without an apprentice before he starts tp break the sith code.

Ushgarak
Believe me, SP10, the info about the name 'Darth Tyrannus' and Dooku being him is from good sources. Obviously it's not 100% yet- won't be until we actually SEE the film- but the chance of it happening are very high. It's not like those old Darth Rage and Darth Legion rumours.

bigsef2
Breaking the Sith code? That's rediculous. Thats like saying the moment Maul died, he was breaking the sith code, because he hadnt found another apprentice yet. And what about in the OT? Sure, Vader calls the Emperor Master, but are we really supposed to beleive that Vader is still an apprentice? No, he is a master. In the OT, Sidious and Vader are both masters. I think some people take the comment: "always two there are, a master, and an apprentice" a little too literally.

Ushgarak
Indeed, 'Master and Apprentice' are just relative terms for the two Sith. Maul is clearly more than just an apprentice. Might not have been a Master equivalent, but no need for him NOT to have been- as Dooku (probably) will be.

Aquarius87
Hmmmm yeah whatever,i'm going to whatch the simpson. roll eyes (sarcastic)
I always thought Maul would be a good name for a dog.

yerssot
Ok, you got a picture of Dooku, ... in the trailer you have him (same dude) with a curved red lightsabre... you have him fighting with Anakin (and he's still alive after that)
You can't say it was a lucky shot

sand person no. 10
I never said that palpatine was breaking the sith code, i merely asked how long sidious could have gone without taking an apprentice.
Even in rotj i think vader is still the apprentice, obviously palpatine has been studying the dark side longer and so in terms of just experience palaptine is far more experienced than vader and has mastered the darkside better. I suspect if vader was pitted against palpatine without the hep of luke, vader would have lost. Palpatines greater ability is expressed in his statement when he tells luke that his friends are falling into a trap, i don't think vader saw that one coming.

Gundark
Just have to throw my meager 2 cents into this thread....

That "Luke" is derived from "Lucas" is correct.

As most of you know, I'm sure, R2-D2 was named after a reel of film and C3PO was the result of George messing around with some number & letter combinations. Chewbacca's name was inspired from Lucas's dog Indiana. (Hence the dog referral by Sean Connery in Grail) BTW, in Close Encounters that was Spielberg's own dog that came off the ship at the end.

Leia, Han and Ben are not uncommon "earth" names.

While most (not necessarily all) other SW names can be traced to many meanings in many different languages, I don't think they are meant to have "hidden meanings" in the films. George hates writing scripts; I just don't see going to the trouble of researching the possible meaning of names before he decides on them. IMHO OC.

yerssot
Ben is a normal name around here actually ... Ben comes from Benjamin means "son of luck"

Ben is Hebrew for "Son"
Obi is an African name which means "heart."
Wan is an Old English word which means "dark." Webster's dictionary gives the definition "unnaturally pale from grief."
Ken means "Knowledge of.."
(from a website)

sand person no. 10
now i know i'm now high on coffee but is it not possible the gl just used names because he thought they sounded cool. there's a radical and out there theory for ya all. he obviously thought ob1 sounded cool because its the name of the nightclub in "Temple of Doom".

yerssot
it's the other way around

Spielberg got it from Lucas (they are very good friends)

sand person no. 10
i know, i'm just trying to emphasise that if a name sounds cool, and it fits the character then who cares what it means. not george lucas me thinks.

Gundark
Wonder what Jar Jar REALLY means..... laughing out loud

yerssot
I don't have an idea yet about that one

master harmax
If Vader was pitted against Palpatine, my money would be on Vader - no amount of sith lightening would overwhelm Vader - whereas Palpatine doesn't use a lightsabre - and as far as strength with the force is concerned - Vader has the highest midiclorean count of all. He's the chosen one you must see ( with apologies to yerss ! )

Also Ackbar is very similarly to Akbar, who was probably the greatest of all the mughal emperors to rule India in the middle ages, and he was a great general of war.

finti
Well Obi is very similare to OB which is the same as tampong, shall we read more into that?????????

yerssot
but who was first? OB1 or OB?

queeq
We have an oriental food brand called Suzie-Wan, maybe that's his sister.

yerssot
No! It's a long time ago, in a galaxy far far away remember?

queeq
So? IS there anything about Suzi-Wan you want to tell me?

yerssot
yes, wrong galaxy, wrong time

queeq
You seem to know a lot about Suzi-Wan. Does Lara know that?

yerssot
Because I said it's in the wrong gal, wrong time?

queeq
And I said, you seem to know a lot about Suzi-Wan. So many details about where she lives, what time she gets up...

yerssot
I don't know what you are talking about!

queeq
Of course you don't.

yerssot
stay ontopic

Three guards on the "ship" in ROTJ are named after a phrase from another sci-fi movie

finti
hmm nobody answered me on the LEIA ORGANA thing?

Ushgarak
Actually they did, but it was not at all impressive.

yerssot
not impressif to you that is

Ushgarak
Oh come on, yerss, surely you don't count it sounding vaguely like 'organic' as one of your best name meanings?

I'm surprised no-one has meniotned that Dooku means something.

yerssot
I like to wait with that till after EpII

queeq
I think Duku means poison in Japanese. And it means money in Papiamento or something like that.

sand person no. 10
people, face facts' some names just sound cool,
i.e. sand person no. 10,
i should run a fashion label.

"for all your desert wear, come to sp10, the only place for inline tuscan gear."

master harmax
Wow ... with a catch phrase like that you'll make a killing .....
on Tatooine.

You could add to that : " Check out our new range of russet red habits for jedi over 50 years old. If you're into brown, we got that shit down."

And Count Dooku sounds too much like Count Dracula.

finti
hmm if they did run it by me again....

yerssot
Yes, there are indeed names that mean absolutely nothing, I never said all had a meaning, like C-3PO, or R2-D2

Ushgarak
Well, at least we know where those names come from!

You may not have said that every name means something, but you have consistently tried to make out there is meaning behind names when there is not.

yerssot
never said that about 3PO nor Chuwbacca nor R2 ...

Ushgarak
You have done it with a ton of other spurious ones, though. And all three of those names DO have a definitive story behind hoe they came inot being!

yerssot
I'm talking about the meanings

finti
is this suppose to explain Leia Organa?????

Ushgarak
Yup! I told you it wasn't convincing.

Gundark
Its all just a bunch of names that George made up. Thats all.

Ushgarak
Indeed!

yerssot
not going to respond anymore roll eyes (sarcastic)

finti
because you wont or because there is no explanation to Leia Organa

yerssot
because ...

ryamathart
who is dooku?
and let us not forget that GL took alot of his mythology from japan

Ushgarak
He took it from just about everywhere!

Dooku is Christopher Lee's character in the upcoming Episode II. Hot bet is that he is the new Sith bad guy.

You may have seen Chris Lee playing Saruman in Lord of the Rings.

yerssot
it's for sure now smile

check the two attachmentts

yerssot
Deluxe 3 3/4" Figures: Count Dooku, Jango Fett, Obi-Wan Kenobi and Mace Windu (with battle droid)

Return to Toy Preview: AOTC Deluxe Figures

yerssot
ok, you see the dude with the red lightsabre? Two names, guess wich

KJ
We all know that Lucas just makes up some of the names from different things like R2, Chewbacca, 3-po etc.

Jar Jar was named by his son.

But he DOES take a lot of the names from various langauges and mythology.

SKYWALKER - Is what the Greeks used to call their Gods. "Skywalkers" because they walked in the sky.

BOSS NASS - Is slavic for the BOSS OF US

SITH - In Scottish folklore there is a BOABHAN SITH which has different meaning depending on which part of the country you're in. Some of these meanings are "dark fairy", "evil and malevolant being", and here's the killer "dark hooded evil spirit".

Lucas spent years researching Star Wars. It wasn't just thrown together in a couple of weeks.

Some of the names are made up but others have meaning towards there characters.

General Kaliero
And about GL and Spielburg being close friends, that makes me think. At the end of 3rd Indiana Jones, his father says Jr. named himself "Indiana" after the family dog. Is this another tie between GL and Speilburg?

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>