American schools.......

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Veralidaine
....ive always wondered how they operate......when i say this, i'm referring to the years......
because in australia, we have Primary school, which consists of:
prep, yr 1,2,3,4,5 and 6....

then we go to High school, which consists of:
yr 7,8,9,10,11 and 12.....

then after that, we go to tafe, get a job, or uni.....

so how exactly does it work in america?

Dirty Vader
Dont get me started on the french and german systems. Dont know about the american system yet alone the british.

Veralidaine
*scratches head* hmmmm.....jus cuz deres so many ppl on KMC who r from america....

but ow does it work for u neway in London?smile

Dirty Vader

LanceWindu
In America...

We have:

Kindergarten (5-6 years old)
1st Grade (6-7 years old) Elementary
2nd Grade (7-8 years old) Elementary
3rd Grade (8-9 years old) Elementary
4th Grade (9-10 years old) Elementary
5th Grade (10-11 years old) Elementary
6th Grade (11-12 years old) Elementary
7th Grade (12-13 years old) Middle School
8th Grade (13-14 years old) Middle School
9th Grade (14-15 years old) Freshman in High School
10th Grade (15-16 years old) Sophomore in High School
11th Grade (16-17 years old) Junior in High School
12th Grade (17-18 years old) Senior in High School

Veralidaine
yes...wow.....its jus so dern different.....

Dirty Vader
Cool now i'm gonna be able to understand your teenage american movies smile

Be@st
In Croatia we have primary: 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8
high school: 1,2,3,4
college: 1,2,3,4 sometimes 5. and then job.
(here every school starts with 1, we don't just continiue with counting)

Veralidaine
tanks for dathappy....
its was confusin wit de middle school stuff, i mean it only lasts for yr 7 n 8..odd......

ey, n ur new sig looks mad lancethumb up

Veralidaine
n u americans get to wear casual........damn aussie schools give us uniformssad....
n deres a certain rule wit makeup.....we cant have heavy makeup..dat aint a problem for me..but i tink ina merica basically ne ting goes.... right?

LanceWindu
Not necessarily.

There's lots of schools getting the Uniforms here.

And heavy make up is really frowned upon.

Be@st
Long live Croatia; Here EVERYTHING goes.

Veralidaine
blink really?hmmm.....i wouldnt have ever of thought so.....(lances post)

Veralidaine
Beast>>>.really? damn it!!.......

Be@st
Yep; we're free to enjoy.

Veralidaine
*smacks head*......damn! is all i can say......

silver_tears
This is in Canada....

Kindergarten (5-6 years old)
1st Grade (6-7 years old) Elementary
2nd Grade (7-8 years old) Elementary
3rd Grade (8-9 years old) Elementary
4th Grade (9-10 years old) Elementary
5th Grade (10-11 years old) Elementary
6th Grade (11-12 years old) Elementary
7th Grade (12-13 years old) Elementary
8th Grade (13-14 years old) Elementary
9th Grade (14-15 years old) High School
10th Grade (15-16 years old) High School
11th Grade (16-17 years old) High School
12th Grade (17-18 years old) High School

We don't have titles for High School years no
Also I go to a Catholic school, so we wear the uniform, but make-up and jewellery wise we can do what we want. big grin

§pearhead
Publick skul! rock

Trinity_Matrix
Hee, I go to public school, too. I don't think I could stand having to wear a uniform...

Here middle school is usually grades 6, 7, and 8...or at least in the area of the US where I live it is.

§pearhead
Same here...isn't it everywhere? confused don't listen to me...

Trinity_Matrix
That's what I though, too...guess it's different in different parts of the US.

§pearhead
Well my parents keep saying that during "their time" that 9th grade was a part of middle school.

Trinity_Matrix
What they did where I used to live, there was a middle school right across the street from the high school, so they built a new middle school and turned the old one into a 'freshman center' so that new freshman go there instead of the high school itself. For some reason that's supposed to help them transition better, though I don't see how blink

§pearhead
Um...cause its closer? confused I really don't know...

Linkalicious
yeah here in southern california...most public schools are structured. middle school 6, 7, 8...but i've known for a long time that a lot of schools go only 7th and 8th. Also, there are occassionally schools that go kindergarten-8th grade. So it's like a middle school and elementary school in 1.

SilverFighter
It used to be cool to be in a Public school cuz you could wear whatever you wanted. Now uniforms are require and if you don't wear it you go home. That sucks especially for High School seniors nowadays.

Linkalicious
my pub school wanted to pick up the uniform trend, but all the parents said that if they wanted their kids in uniforms...then they woulda sent them off to private school. Guys can wear whatever they want, except baseball hats (thx to Dr. Dre and his white sox hat) and girls can wear what they want except tanks with spaghetti straps...but most wear them anyways. 1 day 8 girls even wore shirts that said "Hoe Depot" on the front with skanky names and numbers on the back which me and a couple of other guys had labled them as juniors.

SilverFighter
We had a STUPID Jerk for a Principal in my high school!!!! We weren't allow to wear baseball caps. If you did, the teacher would confiscated and your parents had to pick them up for you. I lost like 2 of my favorite caps cuz of that SOB dress code!!!! Even after all this time I still want to knock the shit outta that Principal!!!!

Darth Revan
Well first you go to kindergarten when you're like 6 or 7.. Then you go to elementary school which is grades 1-5 (traditionally it was always 1-6, but most places in the US have switched from "junior high school" to "middle school" jr high=7-9, middle=6-8) then ya go to middle school which is 6-8, then high school which is 9-12.. You can quit high school when you're 16 if you want to then you can a) get incredibly lucky and become famous b) work in a taco-time for the rest of your life c) get your GED or d) go to a community college
If you graduate you either quit going to school or go to college, then grad school if you get that far

BarmyBrummie
Sooo, i would be...a freshman!! Cool but 9th grade? In england i am in year 10.

Linkalicious
technically you're in year 10 here too...but we don't count kindergarten because that's a grade where we get nap time and snacks at recess!!!

BarmyBrummie
hehe, thats like our nursery and reception big grin

it goes:
3-4 years-Nursery
4-5 years- Reception
5-6 years- Year 1- Infant School
6-7 years- Year 2- Infant School
7-8 years- Year 3- Junior School
8-9 years- Year 4- Junior School
9-10 years- Year 5- Junior School
10-11 years- Year 6- Junior School
11-12 years- Year 7- Senior School (we change schools at this year)
12-13 years- Year 8- Senior School
13-14 years- Year 9- Senior School
14-15 years- Year 10- Upper Senior School
15-16 Years- Year 11- Upper Senior School

Then you can go to Sixth Form for 2 years or to a college then University

Treehuggerjanie
same with my school. Id rather my school had a yr 12, like a sikth form, cos ive got to move schools to do that year!annoying.

Linkalicious
we have:

Pre-school = nursery (kinda like day care)
Kindergarten = Reception ( learn numbers and letters, very simple math and small words...mostly pronunciation)

Dirty Vader
So you guys have different systems in different states, like in germany?

Linkalicious
i wouldn't even go as far as states....i'd just say school districts.

Dirty Vader
Thats too much, how the hell do you cope? Maybe I wont understand your movies afterall...

LanceWindu
All the areas I've been in...Middle School is just 7 and 8.

Fire
age 2.5-5 kindergarten (3 grades, some schools have 4)
age 6-12 basic school (6 grades)
age 13-18 high school (6 grades)
+18 college or uni

Aurora
The town that I grew up in (in America) didn't have a Middle School. It went directly from Elementry to High School.

Shoukan
Here in Arizona...

There are all year around schools
some all year around schools are elementary schools or high schools

And there are Middle schools---7th-8th grade
There is a middle school just down the street from my house

And there is a all year around school that goes from K-8th

Myth
Just correcting an earlier post about US schools. Some grades are in different schools just depending on the area.

Jr High (aka Middle School) can be 7-8, 6-8, or 7-9. 6-8 and 7-8 are the most common.

Linkalicious
i agree with myth on that...

Korri
i live in Scotland and our school sucks!

The Force
well here in oklahoma it

1-5 elementary
6-8 middle school
9-12 high school

thumb up

Be@st
OK; just to say about uniforms in croatia; we don't even have them in private schools; it seems to me that here is much better than I thought; eventhough our principal is trying to forbid us a lot of things; but he can't because no one listens to him. Few days ago when he forbided us to go out during the break; whole school went out and stayed longer then ever.

VallejoKid707
Some elementry skools in America go up to 6 th grade others go to 5th.

realworlddreams
in southern california we got a few things
K-6th
k-5th
6-8th
7-8th
9-12th
10-12th
n then community college is basically an extension of the high school...n for those who are too lazy/stupid to go to real college or couldnt get in...
thank god im smart enough not to go there.

The Force
oh i forgot to say that i go to a private school

Veralidaine
i jus read this whole thread, i find it quite intruiging how different the systems of schools are.....
very odd......

Tired Hiker
When I was in highschool we had Drivers Ed and I got my license when I was 16. I heard they don't have Drivers Ed anymore and you have to go do it on your own?!?! Plus, I never had to wear a uniform at my old junior high, but they have to now. Weird.

Veralidaine
over here, we do still av drivers ed.
but we go for our licenses at 17,den we can drive at 18.sad...
lucky americans....drivin at 16! damn!....

Tired Hiker
Yeah, it's pretty sweet. stick out tongue

Veralidaine
*smacks forehead* damn! *bares teeth*....

LanceWindu
I had Driver's Ed in High School. I passed the class easily. Yet I still have no license. I've never had the need for one, with my mom and sister always taking me everywhere. I'm getting one soon though, cause my sister is giving me a car.

Veralidaine
thatz lucky then.....!....
u get a car.........damn, i know no one will pay for my first car.....

LanceWindu
Mine is free...it's her old one.

Veralidaine
even so....

i mean, my sister got my sisters old car..but it was a sh*t carbig grin...

what kind of car u gettin?

LanceWindu
A shit car...laughing out loud

A 1994 Geo Metro, a tiny little blue hatchback, that can't go more than 50 mph without shaking like a son of a b!tch.

It's getting painted black with a white stripe for me though.

Veralidaine
laughing out loud....

coolsmile.....

but u know the saying....
'beggers cant be chooses....'
i always remember that saying....blink dont no why......

LanceWindu
I don't mind the car sucking ass.

It's transportation of my own, what can I say?

Tired Hiker
Black with a white stripe. cool

Veralidaine
laughing out loud...

but u right lance.....the key word..OWN.....that makes all tha differenceyes

LanceWindu
Definately better than asking if someone can take me somewhere.

Veralidaine
yes most definitely....
it would become very annoying, as i would imagine..my sisters 19, she has her licence, but she doesnt av a car..so she has to constantly ask her friends, or mah parents, or other siblings for a ride..but shes gettin really sik of it.....

LanceWindu
I'm definately gonna need a car and license if I get the job I am going to apply for soon.

I'm wanting to go to work at McCarran's Airport in downtown Las Vegas. I'd make tons of cash there.

Veralidaine
yes sh*t yeh.....

i need a job too.....altho i have a couple o hundred of dollars.....but that will only last so long.....

maybe i'd b a waitress...yes......

Tired Hiker
Pizza Delivery is a great way to make cash and get to know a town!

Veralidaine
please do not tell me that that is sarcasm...
um, but neway..yeh, true....

Linkalicious
i have a friend that's 21 and he doesn't have his license....he calls me all the time, but i never wanna hang out with his punk ass because he doesn't drive. It's ok to take someone around once in a while...but somewhere down the road it's gotta go both ways. My other friend drives an 1994 geo metro hatchback...it's a bucket. But it's got a Honda sticker on the back of the hatch so he insists to everyone that it's a new model. "The Honda T-2000"....i think i have a wheel barrow with bigger wheels than that car.

burlyman
(if nobody has said this yet)
in england you can have:

primary school
seconday school

but also:

first school
middle school
upper school

...and then sixth form/college

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.