(SPOILERS) sabres

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

yerssot
Ok, spoilers are in the title so...:

If our little Darth has a curved hilt, what are the advantages of it?

Ushgarak
I still think it looks like a one-handed hilt. Which is far more suited to sabre fighting.

A curved handle is little use two-handed because the second hand limits the extra manoeuvrability options the curve gives you.

yerssot
so if he can fight with one hand, ok, but why a curved one?

Ushgarak
A curved handle is ideally suited to duelling purposes allowing quick twists and other neat moves. You would normally expect to see it on certain sorts of fencing swords.

Less good for a power fighting (which, ironically, is what real-life sabre fighting is), but with a lightsabre you don't need any strength behind your blow at all.

mah
so if I'm gonna buy a toy-lightsabre, what's best; dookus or another?

yerssot
I would think the other one...

Wich neat moves? I can only see disadvantages!

Ushgarak
What disadvantages?

mah
I think it'll be cool with that curved handle, nice seeing some one-hand magic duelling.

Ushgarak
Note that he CAN use that grip two-handed. I would imagine that the best reason for doing that is for blocking., when you don't want the other person's blows to beat you back with more power.

yerssot
disadvantages: like you said power-blows, sounds pretty painfull with one hand

ok, you have one hand free, but what then?

Ushgarak
One hand free always gives you better balance.

yerssot
for Force-pushing?
strange thing

Ushgarak
I;m talking real-life here, yerss. One handed fighting is much more stable than two-handed.

As to what you do with the grip... this will involve getting into a discussion of fencing technique...

yerssot
don't mind if you do

Ushgarak
Well, it;s all to do with the way you hold a fencing sword. The two main grips are the French Grip, which is a bent grip like Dooku;s, or a pistol grip which looks... pretty much like a pistol handle.

Both of the involve you gripping the sword in an entirely different way to a medoieval longsword- more like how you would hold a gun. Far more flexible.

yerssot
hmm... so the only important thing is still the balance huh?

Ushgarak
Why do you say that? The one-handed gun-like grip is much better for movement than a traditional grip. AND you get balance one-handed.

Darth Ninja
It really comes down to what sword and martial art suits you best.

yerssot
but haven't all Jedis got the same "education"?

Ushgarak
Well, who knows, eh? We don't know anything about their sabre training techniques.

yerssot
apprentice gets it from his master who gets it from his master etc...

Ushgarak
Yes, but there is always room for personal interpretation and improvisiation. Just use the real-life model. It's not as if swordfighting technique has stood still over time; two people from the same organisation could easily have entirely different styles.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.