Chronicles of Riddick

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

odin
So..... is this movie Chronicles of Riddick...
is that a sequel to Pitch Black ? or a prequel?

either way... I think it looks good! big grin

Myth
I believe its a sequel but I guess it could be a prequel. All I know is that they are related in one form or the other.

either way... I think it will be bad! big grin

Evil Dead
I thought they shortened the name a few months back to just "Riddick"...........

I doubt this movie will be anything great. Pitch Black was decent I guess.......nothing special. I already know everything about the Riddick character that I care to know.

Cinemaddiction
It's a prequel, who's sequels that stem from the first one depend on how the first 1 does. I'm all for it. It's supposed to document Riddicks rise from antagonist to hero. It's probably Vin Diesel's most watchable performance in a movie.

TimberlandG2
I dont care what it is I just cant wait for this to come out! Happy Dance

manosteel
Being the sequel to Pitch Black i think this movie looks like it could be brilliant, Vin Diesel is in by far his best role so far as the prisoner Riddick. What does anyone else think bout this movie or any Vin Diesel movie

Cinemaddiction
1) It's not a sequel

2) This is for reviews, may wanna throw this in the General Movie Discussion

3) It's actual a planned prequel, with 3 parts, each of which depending on the success of the 1st.

4) There's a CGI "Chronicles" coming out to help pormote the live action version in the coming months.

All that said, I am looking forward to it because I loved Pitch Black, and I think it's Vin Diesel's bets work to date.

Kes
Moving to Movie Discussion.
Moving--moved

Evil Dead
I also liked Pitch Black..............I look forward to seeing this. It is one of the two movies that Vin Diesel has done that he didn't totally suck in. His best movie ever, Knockaround Guys, being the other.

I thought they dropped the "chronicles of" portion of the title months ago and decided to just call it "Riddick"........when did they tack it back on?

Cinemaddiction
Totally agree on "Knockaround Guys". As for the "Chronicles" part, I have no clue. If they do end up releasing all 3 chapters, it's for the best that the title coincides with the "diary" release title, with 3 installments.

silvabullet
I just saw it, I thought it was a pretty cool movie.

Myth
I'm not excited at all for Riddick. Pitch Black was decent at best but I hate Vin Diesel. I'll go if my friends drag me to it but other than that, I have no plans of seeing it.

BackFire
I have to agree with Evil Dead and Cinemadiction. I loved pitch black but have hated just about everything else he's done (shudders at the thought of XXX). However, I don't think these will be quite as strong as pitch black, they seem liek they'll be alot different, not even in teh same genre.

Oh, I also thought knockaround guys was his only other decent performance as well.

silvabullet
He wasn't that bad in F&tF

neo2
Vin Deisel shouldn't act............oh, and i solidly stand by that comment

ElectricBugaloo
i've yet to seem him do so

shellie
any one have anything to say about the sequel to pitch black ? haven t heard much about it . i'm looking forowd to it . the trailers look great , perhaps better than the first .

Myth
Wrong forum.

freddyfan20
I myself think this will be a great movie. It will give people a chance to see why Pitch Black was Pitch Black. Plus overall it looks like a great action packed movie. Another thumbs up for Vin - Travis

Rogue Jedi
i cant wait for this movie!!!

Myth
I can wait forever for this movie and thats what I plan on doing unless I get dragged to it by friends. I hate Vin Diesel movies and I hate movies that focus so much on special effects.

methinkalexahot
UM I THINK THIS WILL BE MOVED

FlappingMangera
Aren't they planning on making a lot of Riddick movies? I've only seen a few parts of Pitch Black and wasn't sure what all the hype was about. The trailer for the movie does look pretty cool. I'll probably give Riddick one more chance.

<<Solo>>
Same....I guarantee Ridick will bomb with the critics and with the audience. It will suck bad...

Cinemaddiction
You mean like "Lord of the Rings"?

It's a Sci Fi movie, special effects are nothing new in this genre. Besides, it's been an extremel long time since there has been a decent Science Fiction movie that is actually worth watching, and with "Pitch Black" and it;s cult status, and being a summer movie, I think it will fair well.

Myth
Well, I didn't like LOTR but for different reasons. LOTR at least concentrated on the story. I mean movies in space and things like Hell Boy and Van Helsing. Movies just suck when they try to make a scene just because they have the budget to do it.

Colabee
I saw a trailer for COR before Van Helsing. When it started I thought oooh what's this?...then I saw Vin Diesel and thought 'Oh'

The special effects from what I saw were way over the top too, as is becoming the trend these days. Very cartoonish.

StinkFist462
riddick is a pitch black sequel ?????

Cinemaddiction
Prequel.

StinkFist462
i never seen pitch black ... confused

shellie
riddick is a sequel ...... takes plase 5 years later

Myth
I've heard prequel everywhere else I've gone. Are you sure its not 5 years later?

shellie
it was suposed to be a prequel at 1st but diesel says they went a different direction . instead of prequel then sequel after pitch black it will be a trilogy . 2nd movie taken place 5 years later . it will also be exploring how riddick became who it is .

Cinemaddiction
Well, according to the official site, they confirm it actually takes place 5 years after "Pitch Black".

The end of the original movie was left open to interpretation, as he told the 3 survivors that escaped the planet that if anyone were to ask about him that "Riddick died on the planet", and left to fight off that alien race.

It will be interesting to see how he beat them all, and survived for 5 years. I was looking forward to the whole prequel angle. Oh well.

shellie
yeah me to . oh well is right . im sure it'll be interesting .

lil bitchiness
It looks realyl good big grin I wanna see it, if not for the content, then for Vin Diesel. big grin

Besides Judi Dench is in the film, and shes such an awesome actriess, so im kinda egar to see it.

burlyman
I was sure this was gonna be a prequel.. I hope it is messed

missnikitia
have anyone saw, the chronicles of riddick yet i haven't seen it i wanted to see. it i can't wait for it to come out on dvd so i can see it i love, vin diesel in pitch black will i hope someone see this and get back to me ok bye for now.

DeNiro
Just wondering isnt this movie coming out in theaters? I hope this movie isnt coming straight to dvd because then it means the movie sucks usally. but ne way can ne one tell me when it comes out because i am to lazy to go find out

Cinemaddiction
In theatres June 11th.

Myth
Holy crap. I just saw a scene from Riddick on the television and it showed the wolf like monsters. THEY LOOK LIKE SHIT! I thought the movie was going to be bad before, but damn those things looked shitty. Looked like they came from Van Helsing or something.

Cinemaddiction
I saw that, and caught the first 10 minutes on MTV this past Sunday. too. I wasn't going into this movie expecting much anyway.

Myth
I went to Riddick because my friend "really" wanted to see it. He was the only one out of 5 of us that liked it. The dialog was horrible and the acting wasn't so great. Its one thing to expect Vin to talk slow with a rough voice trying to sound badass, but EVERYBODY in the movie talked like this. It was very annoying. We did everybody in the theater a favor by letting them know how cheesy the dialog was. They would say something and we would just start giggling and next thing you know, everybody else was giggling at how bad the dialog was. I don't think they would have noticed without a little help. And what was with that one fight with all the WWF moves? We saw a clothesline, followed by a body slam, followed by an attempted tilt-a-wirl ddt which was reversed into a body slam, and followed by a fatal back breaker. CRAP!

missnikitia
hi Cinemaddiction whats up.how are you doing today i love vin diesel i love his movie, pitch black will i hope you see this and get back to me i will check back later im fixing to go now bye for now.

Cinemaddiction
Same reverse body slam was done in another favorite of mine, "Blade 2". I thought it was kind of funny. Clotheslining people in fights isn't all that uncommon.

I caught Lord Vaako's insane backbreaker, he's ruthless! He's trying to take over the throne, though that's to be expected. It's Eomer for cryin' out loud!

Now, on to the movie itself. I went expecting absolutely nothing, and I was very pleasantly surprised! The characters were extremely interesting and reminded me of something closer to "Dune", with some H.R. Giger inspired sets. Very elaborate, very futuristic.

While I really didn't see the point in Thandie Newton's character, Dame Vaako, I think all the other characters played into the story well, especially the converted Necromongers who had some very, very interesting costume designs.

Vin Diesel was on point, as he was in Pitch Black. There were merely a couple of dodgy one liners, which are to be expected in a summer blockbuster w/ an action hero, still few and far between.

To be absolutely honest, I think the best part was the end, knowing full well there was already going to be a sequel, it was a very big emotional Catch 22 for Riddick, one that should be interesting to see over the next two movies. It's nice, because you wouldn't even have to have had seen "Pitch Black" to really follow what was going to happen in this movie

That said, I'd recommend this movie to fans of Sci Fi in general. And don't bother being so analytical of it, and keep two things in mind.

One, like I said, it's a big budget Sci Fi movie based off of a cult classic hero.

Two, the dialogue isn't going to be that of some magnificent screenwriter. This is a cast of virtual unknowns, save Diesel and Dench, who nail their roles. The dialogue is going to be like that of Star Wars, Dune, Highlander. Just typical, grand scale science fiction, dealing with a hero, a villian, and a plot to take over the world.

So, leave your brain at the door, suspend reality, and give Riddick a chance if you're looking for some summertime space age fun, without having to think.

ANGELIQUE
WELL I WENT TO SEE IT YESTERDAY AND I LOVED IT,
IT ROCKED AND VIN WAS GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Myth
2 more things.

It was dumb that part one was more of an alien movie while this one took a u-turn and became something about religioius figures and all that crap that could float and shit. This wasn't a big deal, but just kind of odd.

But the whole necromonger brain washing thing was dumb because it really didn't work that well. If they are being brain washed, then why would that one guy want to over take the lead position, why would the girl not have gone against Vin Diesel, and why would that one guy tell Vin Diesel to go back to the planet and then walk into the sun? That made the whole idea of the movie irrelevent.

SaTsuJiN
To be honest it looks crappy :/ .. vin can only play those 'rebel without a cause' type characters, so it kinda makes his reprisal rather dim witted

Daywalker
Saw it today and it was a very cool action packed movie. I'm glad they came up with a movie to focus on the Riddick character. Well done

Cinemaddiction
It's a totally different movie. "Pitch Black" wasn't exactly a mainstream success, but a cult classic, garnering all it's success on the rental circuit.

That said, this is all about Riddick. What was nice about "Chronicles" is that you didn't have to have seen "Pitch Black" in order to follow Riddick's story. A story like this, taking the main character from one movie, then throwing him in a totally different setting is hard to flesh out. "Army of Darkness" suffered said fate. Riddick, while staying true to Sci Fi, is still in his element. Space.

As for "religious" figures, there were none. Aereon, played by Judi Dench, was an "elemental". A whimsical being of natural elements that could probably best be compared to a genie or faerie.

The actual plot/idea of the movie had nothing to do with Vin Diesel going back to Crematoria. He only went there to save Jack/Kyra, which wasn't explained, from what I remember, then the Necromongers tracked him there.

As for the Necromonger who walked out on Riddick, taking his own life, he simply had an epiphany when he encountered a fellow Helion in Riddick. Suppose he was tired of what he had become? It's Science Fiction, man. It's just something to progress the story, and probably show the effects of Crematoria's climate, as well as foreshadowing.

Lastly, as for the brainwashing, Dame Vaako, and Lord Vaako. The brainwashing made perfect sense. It was Lord Marshal's way of building his army to start the coming of the "underverse", by brainwashing the inhabitants of every planet he conquered, thus making them part of his Necromonger legion. It's pretty cut and dry. Hell, Hitler did the EXACT same thing.

Lord Vaako would want to take over the throne because he had been Marshal's right hand man all these years, and I suppose since he felt more powerful than Marshal, and being influenced to capture the throne by Dame Vaako, he wanted it all. The Necromonger creed was "You can keep what you kill". If Vaako were to kill Marshal, he gets the throne. Case closed. That would obviously have made Vaako the supereme overlord of the Necromongers. He was indeed more physically powerful, as witness in Crematoria.

Dame Vaako didn't have much of a part in this movie. I think shes just a set up character for the rest of the franchise, personally, i.e. a love interest like in Troy, where legions or individuals will fight over her at some point in time. She apparently took to Riddick and his looks and charm.

Hopefully that answers a few of your questions. Like I said, being a summer blockbuster for the masses, you can only be so critical. I think the franchise will only get better. It's been a solid 5 years since there's been a noteworthy Sci Fi movie or franchise. This is probably "the one". Pun intended.

Myth
I know its a different story and thats why I said that part wasn't a big deal. But its still odd that part one was more of a "what if we found these aliens" type movie while this one has supernatural crap in it. Its kind of odd. Kind of like my disappointment in what the Matrix did. They could do that cool stuff because they weren't in the real world. But by the end, Neo was even blowing up machines in the real world with his mind.

The Lord Marshall was pretty much the religious type thing I was talking about. He could transportate himself (along with the chick from Bond) and like I said, its kind of weird since aliens was the concentration in Pitch Black.

"Lastly, as for the brainwashing, Dame Vaako, and Lord Vaako. The brainwashing made perfect sense. It was Lord Marshal's way of building his army to start the coming of the "underverse", by brainwashing the inhabitants of every planet he conquered, thus making them part of his Necromonger legion. It's pretty cut and dry. Hell, Hitler did the EXACT same thing."
But Hitler didn't do the same thing. Dame Vaako used a machine to brainwash people, but it obviously didn't work the way it was suppose to work since 3 people went against the brainwashing.

"being a summer blockbuster for the masses, you can only be so critical" Its still a movie and if its got flaws, I'm going to point them out and be critical of it. I am glad that most of my friends weren't fans of this movie either, that way I don't have to be dragged to the next 2.

Cinemaddiction
There weren't any religious undertones in the movie. Make the connection here, as we're lead to believe that both Marshal and Aereon are elementals. Marshal, given he indeed is an elemental, though it wasn't confirmed, was probably appointed the head because he had that gift.

I understand what you mean by changing plot devices, that's why the new franchise is titled something different. This is like Joey leaving "Friends", for his own show. It will be totally unrelated.

The Hitler references was in brainwashing, it was in recruiting people by his own form of brainwashing, for his legion. I understand that Marshal's machines were flawed, and it will probably be explained in the next installment.

Too bad you didn't like it. I think it will be a pretty fun franchise once all is said and done.

Myth
Well, not religious, but the elements are kind of godly which is what I meant. Its still supernatural stuff unlike Pitch Black. I also knew what you meant by the Hitler reference, but I was talking about how it was a machine that didn't do what it was suppose to do.

Anyway, did you notice how much those one guys were like Predators? The ones with the circle blue masks? They made the same breathing and clicking noises pretty much and they had similar vision as the Predators. Everytime I saw them, I just thought of Predator.

Cinemaddiction
We're talking about the Necromongers with the Heat Vision? I noticed that, sure, but it wasn't enough for me to draw a correlation between them and the Predator. They look nothing alike. That brand of Necromonger looked more like a deep sea diver, with that circlular, florescent pink facemask.

Cinemaddiction
Double post, sorry.

<<Solo>>
I saw it yesterday 3 words...Piece of shit. I don't like movies that are made almost just for special effects. Sure some of the special effects were awesome, but the story was crap.

Cinemaddiction
I don't mean to turn this personal or anything, but I am pretty sure everyone gets the idea that you disliked the movie. No need to re-emphasize it. embarrasment

I also respectfully disagree that this movie was made just for special effects. ILM is THEE leader in graphic design in cinema, this wasn't to showcase their special effects, which were actually mediocre, and not as predominate. Besides, the story is just beginning.

The movie was made to branch out on Riddick, since everyone who started following Riddick thought he was one of the most unique characters in Science Fiction. The likes of which I don't think you understand or enjoy in depth, given your Top 10 favorite movies.(I'll never understand how anyone could like pretentious, art house, woe is me, bullshit like "Lost in Translation", but that's another thread.)

Yes, it is a movie worthy of criticism, but keep in mind that summer blockbusters such as this aren't known for being thought provoking, or very technical, or in depth. It's a FUN movie, so have fun with it! If you know you won't appreciate a big budget Sci Fi movie, don't go see it!

I still believe it is the best Sci Fi movie to hit the screen since "The Matrix" in 1999.

BackFire
On a side note, this movie bombed. It only made 24 million over the weekend, coming in second place to harry potter.

Surprising, I thought it would make at least 50 million.

Cinemaddiction
$24 Million dollars in 2 days is automatically considered a bomb? "Pitch Black" made $39 Million period in the U.S.

Vin Diesel isn't exactly a box office draw, and considering that this is a movie about a character from an extremely obscure B movie that less than 25% of America has even heard of to begin with, I think it's a good start.

Take into consideration what other movies are only a 1-3 weeks old, while "Riddick" is debuting. "Prisoner of Azkaban", "Shrek 2", "Troy", "Van Helsing", "Day After Tomorrow", as well as "Garfield", "Saved", and "The Stepford Wives".

Most people are just now getting out to seeing "Troy" and "Van Helsing", since the crowds have died down significantly.

You guys act like Science Fiction movies usually do extremely well in the theatres? This movie has alot going against it. Lets be a little more fair in our assessments, especially after only 2 days.

If it does "bomb", bringing in less than it's budget, great. Then maybe it will get to DVD faster so people that appreciate the movie can have it that much sooner.

<<Solo>>
Yeah same.It only made $24,600,000. And Cinema maybe I'll go watch it again, give it another try.

Cinemaddiction
Well, I just get the feeling that alot of people went in expecting a little too much out of it, and spent their time critiquing it, and not enjoying it.

It's not the greatest Sci Fi movie ever, but I don't think it deserves to be dumped on as much as it is. I've become pretty passionate about it, as witnessed in this thread.

BackFire
I went in expecting nothing, and that's pretty much what I got. Nothing special or particularly memorable. The movie was just sort of there.

And Vin Diesel is a big draw my friend, He's one of the biggest rising action stars around right now, and one of the highest paid. This movie making only 24 million it's first weekend is indeed a bomb, considering how much they pushed it with advertisements and other promotions to get teh movie known to the people.

This was being billed as a big summer blockbuster flick, which suggests that it was expected by most people to make a decent amount of cash, which it did not, and probably will not do. Next weekend it will probably make less then this weekend, and the weekend after that it will make even less. This flick may only make a total of about 70 million or so during it's entire theatrical run. Thus not living up to tthe title of a "summer blockbuster" as people have described it as.

SaTsuJiN
yeah thats pretty much my sentiments..and I havent even seen the movie.. O_x

Cinemaddiction
They did a poor job of marketing it.

Up until a couple of weeks before it's release, people still thought it was going to be prequel, set before "Pitch Black".

In addition, they failed to market it as a 3 part series. It could have easily been entitled "The Chroncles of Riddick: Ch. 1" or something along those lines. So, people that didn't know any better went in expecting it to be ONE movie, and not the set up for a 3 part franchise. That will certainly hurt it.

As for Vin Diesel being a draw. He's done 2 major motion pictures that people remember him for. "xXx" and "Fast and the Furious". He's only a draw for his supposed "sex appeal", his rugged exterior, not his acting. Just like Schwarznegger and "The Crock". I realize he earns $20 M a movie, that said, again, look at how many people have been willing to PAY him that much for his skills, and the movies they are for. Yes, 2 whole movies.

The funny thing is, his best performances are in the lesser known movies like "A Man Apart", "Pitch Black", and "Knockaround Guys".

Sadly enough, I think Diesel's star is already fading.

BackFire
I do agree that his best flicks were teh lesser known ones you mentioned though.

However, the film was advertised pretty decently. The fact that the world "chonicles" is in the title should suggest to anyone with a brain that they are planning to have several movies starring Riddick. But I guess the tried and true method of assuming the audience is stupid holds true enough most of the time.

I really do hope his star is fading, I really have gotten sick of him and his overly raspy and annoying voice. Sounds like Kermit the frog on PCP.

Cinemaddiction
thumb up That's the average American movie goer for ya.

<<Solo>>
But a series it looks like it will not be after this weekend's bomb. It got much less money then what it cost.

BackFire
Well it will still be making more money over the next few weeks.

lil bitchiness
I wanna see this, for Vin Diesel...its slobbering time.

Im not expecting a great deal from this film, however, im intrigued that Judy Dentch is in the film, and shes amazing actress...well respected too...i dont get why would she accept really crapy script.

BackFire
She has a pretty small role.

lil bitchiness
Really....? Beh, thats a turn off....

I still am gonna see it...i enjoyed Pitch Black..it wasnt a great movie, but i enjoyed watching it....this doesnt look anything like it, but still....

Myth
Well, I'm not saying they ripped it off or anything. Don't know if that really neede spoilers either. They just reminded me of the Predators because of their sounds and vision. Obviously not because of their appearance. They also stood like them though too now that I think about it. At one time one of them arched their chest forward and looked upwards like the Predators would stand.

Cinemaddiction
Again, it's only been out 2 days now. Besides, when this is out for rent/sale on DVD/VHS, it, just like "Pitch Black", will probably make up for any shortcomings pertaining to making it's budget back.

BackFire
You're right, the two movies have absolutely nothing in common, aside from both starring Riddick.

xemir
whole movie kicked ass.

silentstephi
IMHGGO:

The biggest thing that jumped out at me was that the Necromongers reminded me, in visage and attitude, of White Wolf's Exalted Abyssals. From the kick ass animeish armor, to their creed of "You get what you Kill", to the "essence" trails left by their ships and the effect of Lord Marshal's strange powers.

All in all, very good eye candy. And I am excited to learn that this is just the 1st of 3! This makes Stephi happy. I'm glad they're embellishing more on Riddick the character, one that I found supremely intriguing in Pitch Black. He has the "F you and leave me alone" attitude, but can get a spongee spot for those who earn his respect. I love Riddick. But I wonder, how many female characters are they gonna slather on Riddick and then kill off? Makes you wonder...

Well, anywho, there's my two cents. Like I said before, I absolutely loved the movie. I'm actually curious to know if there are any books written about Riddick or if this is just a from screen to screen type character.

Cinemaddiction
Stephi, there is actually an anime Riddick movie being released tomorrow on DVD intitled "Dark Fury", and it sounds like it's right up your alley.

It's supposed to tie together "Pitch Black" and "Chronicles" together much like "The Animatrix" did for the "Matrix" trilogy. It's voiced by Vin Diesel as well, which is always a plus.

I plan on renting it, given it is available.

droopy1592
I just thought about how Imam said "It is said, that a comet always precedes them." If you go back, Pitch black's problem's started when they went into the tail of a comet.

Also, the planet was dead of all life except for the underground beast.

Vengeance
i cant wait to see this movie i never realy liked the first but i did like the character. so this is a must see for me i just hope it lives up to my dreams.

silentstephi
Any word on whether or not the second weekend made enough $ for Universal to do the second movie?

Bueler?

Demonic
Riddick: "It's been a long time since I've smelled beautiful."
Me: *uncontrollable laughter*

I skimmed through most of the debate already in this forum, and instead of adding to it, I'll just say this:
Overall, I thought the movie was okay. I didn't think it was good, but it wasn't bad. If you're undecided as to whether or not you should see this movie, save your money. If you have a friend that is dying to see it, go ahead and go. It won't kill you, but don't expect to be impressed either.

Cinemaddiction
This is clearly a Sci Fi fans movie, given we're so tolerable and usually approach things, suspending reality and leaving our brain at the door.

By the way, anyone across the pond hear if this was going to be released globally? If so, when?

Broken Angel

BloomBabyGirl
are you serious? blink COR was the worst i repeat WORST sequel ive ever seen. half the peopel walked out of the theatre cuz it was so terrible. the acting wasnt even that good apart from VD. and teh lines were cheesy/wannabe funni and it just didnt work like i thought it was gonna

Diesel fan
The Chronicles in my opinon was soooooo cool!
Riddick Rocks!
Tell me your view even if you didn't like it!

Myth
No no expression

Btw, use the search engine.

Psh! Riddick no Psh! Diesel no

MildPossession
I enjoyed Chronicles, but big fan of Pitch Black though.

RBlondie08
I thought it was a great movie but i still dont understand the whole prequel-sequel thing- all i want to kno is if there is going to be another one

Cinemaddiction
There's no prequel to speak of. "Chronicles of Riddick" comes a few years AFTER "Pitch Black", and there are to be 2 more films, making it a trilogy.

ericadurancefan
i loved cor,the directors cut though,i mean i just bought an awesome surround sound and the scene where they are escaping the prison at the end is easily the best sounding action scene

RZA
I remember seeing this movie when it came out and taking a friend along with me who also wanted to see it. I kept telling him how cool I thought 'Pitch Black' was and he had never seen it so he really wasn't sure what to expect. I on the other hand had a better idea of the character and some background on other things after watching the first one. This movie was suppose to be a prequel at first which was a good idea and then Hollywood got greedy like they always do and decided against it. They figured they're would be more money involved if they made it into a trilogy instead. So they completely discarded the idea of creating a serious story where we get a chance to explore Riddick's complex character and instead opt to go for a more viewer friendly mind numbing action packed special effect summer block buster type of movie with somewhat of a ridiculous far fetched story from left field with Necromongers and blah..blah..blah...They basically just took a surprisingly successful cult film like Pitch Black and decided to capitalize on it by expanding it further with a whole new storyline, new characters and basically really had nothing whatsoever to do with the first. Basically what I'm saying is, if you haven't already noticed, is that they sold out big time.

Anyway, all that being said I really didn't think this movie was as bad as some people made it out to be, if you just watch it with the typical mindset of its an entertaining sc-fi action flick with a whole new story line you won't be very disappointed, its no worse than the last two Matrix movies IMO, so if you enjoyed those i really don't see why you wouldn't be able to enjoy this.

On a side note, for those looking for a more in depth explanation of the storyline behind Riddick's character and a semblance of the prequel we were somewhat promised, I know this is gonna sound funny but you'll be able to find it in the form of a video game, the one that was made for this movie called "Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay". Thankfully Diesel liked his character so much that he realized the importance of telling his story even if the studios didn't really care for it, so he and his video game company took a very active role in making this game. The game plays just like a movie and you get to see among other things Riddick's life behind bars @ Butcher Bay and how he got his famous 'shine' on. Pretty interesting cameos from 'Johns' Cole Hauser's character from the first movie and Xzibit playing the role of a tough prison security gaurd. All the voice acting in the game is done by the actual actors themselves including Diesel.

So, instead of 'Chronicles of Riddick' being my video pick of the week, "Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay" is my video game pick of the week. thumb up

Cinemaddiction
Well, "Chronicles" of Riddick means an extended account, which would suggest it's a furthur exploitation of the charcter, who is not at all complex. There's a backstory there, yeah, but he's just an antagonist turned hero.

David Twohy is absolutely not about the money. It makes absolutely no sense to take a cult film's character, and put him in a very, VERY unstable situation of a trilogy. Twohy's a great story writer, and if it takes 3 pieces to complete the project, fine. Considering the lackluster earnings of the first installment, claiming that the sequels will still go on ans planned, regardless of income, sort of dismisses that claim as well.

I, personally, thought the story was incredible, not "blah blah blah". It was the return of larger than life Science Fiction, a la "Dune" and "Star Wars", and it provided some great entertainment, which DID NOT rely on special effects, but a rich story and some fantastic Sci Fi storytelling. Not to mention outstanding acting on everyones part, which isn't always the draw of Sci-Fi.

Can't wait for the sequel, but avoid the animated "Dark Fury". It's worthless and unnecessary, adding nothing to the story.

ericadurancefan
it was a pleasant change to see a larger than life sci-fi story that threw back to the original star wars,i loved this it had great acting,incredible fight scenes and some badass characters to support diesel like vakko and kiera,i am keeping my fingers crossed that they complete this trilogy

RZA
I couldn't disagree more, you're obviously not that familiar with the character. He's so complex in fact, that we still have yet to really learn what the full potential of his powers are. I guess you're not interested in finding out exactly what made him public enemy #1, just a simple antagonist turned hero, that's a bit of an oversimplification to say the least and really doesn't do the character any justice at all. Yeah and Batman is just a victim turned hero roll eyes (sarcastic)

No, that just proves that they're willing to stuff more crap down our throats that we don't even want or care for. Great writer...hmm...wasn't he the one who also wrote the screenplay for movies like, 'Waterworld', Warlock and Critters 2? The best screen play he wrote IMO was the Fugitive and as we all know that wasn't original. Pitch Black also of course but that really wasn't that hard to write considering the movie really wasn't that complex, basic short and to the point but it worked but definitely not complex at all.

You do realize you're in the minority when you make these comments? BO and user comments on these boards and elsewhere prove that. Not saying you're wrong mind you, you're obviously entitled to your opinion, just want you to realize you are in the minority. Btw, I wouldn't go as far as comparing this series to Star Wars or Dune, maybe Mad Max but that's it and this movie did rely on special effects quite a bit actually and about Diesel's acting you do realize he was nominated for a Stinker award for his acting in this movie along with movies like CINO?

I assume you're talking about that 30 min anime cartoon? Never saw it? Did it at least look cool? Was it Japanese or american anime? Oh and I recommend you rent the video game, if you haven't already, you may gain a bit more insight into Riddicks character, beleive it or not. In any case, I think you'll find it very entertaining.

Anyway, all that being said I hope you notice from my original post that I did actually like this movie. Not enough to recommend it, but I did say it was entertaining and went as far as to compare it to the last 2 Matrix movies.

Disclaimer: I really don't wish to get into arguments with people especially not Mods, that's a lose=lose situation IMO. So please take everything I said with a grain of salt and please realize that it wasn't meant to offend. Just a difference of opinion is all. thumb up

Cinemaddiction
So, because he was incarcerated means he was complex? He obviously killed people to become the planets most wanted man. It's not wise to assume anything when it comes to me, either. I've been one of the most stout supporters of "Pitch Black"/"Riddick" on these boards. BTW, what "powers"? He's human.

Personally, I don't think I'm in the majority, especially if my opinion is shared with the likes of Roger Ebert, and a gaggle of my Sci Fi friends from reputable Sci Fi movie forums, i.e. Rebelscum.com, the internets premier Star Wars fansite. "Dark Fury" was anime, and it was empty. It was supposed to brige the movies, when all it did was introduce Toombs. I don't own an XBOX, so Butcher Bay is out of the question.

RZA
Yeah, and personally I'd like to know how it happened. Did he really kill people for fun or on purpose...hmm....doesn't really seem like the type to me, seems more misunderstood IMO. There are many clues to this in 'Pitch Black' if you pay attention to it. Many things Johns says and some things Riddick says. I'll give you one example of many....

When Johns refers to their situation as a triage where the weak must be left to die, Riddick tells him "They kept calling it murder when I did it." The implication is that Riddick left people to die, not that he killed them himself. Possibly, therefore, he was wrongly convicted. He does admit to killing "some people" but the implication is that this was to secure his escape.

I really don't understand the tone behind what you're saying hear so I'll reserve judgment on it instead. He's not just 'a human', in fact what he is was already explained in the movie. Again I think you need to reacquaint yourself with the character.

I didn't say you were in the majority, I said you were in the minority so I agree. Too bad about 'Butcher Bay' it would've given you a better insight into his character.

Cinemaddiction
Save me some time and get to your point, man. How is he anything more than physically human? That's alls I want to know.

Diesel fan
rock thumb up big grin stick out tongue rock yes
All is said

K3VIL
Is he?
Riddick, using Marvel Comics values, can be rated in this way:
Peak Human Strenght/, so between Class 800/1000 Pounds
Peak Human Reflexes, Speed, and Reaction Time
Peak Human Stamin and Durability
Energy Projection powers, showed in a director's cut scene, that will be explained better in the two sequels of COR.
Riddick has knocked back through a door with a single kick one of the soldiers of New Mecca's army like a doll, he kill Necromongers, that possess Slightly Superhuman Strenght with ease, he's a one-man army.
He has showed above human resistance to heat on Crematoria
His amazing speed was showed during Pitch Black and COR.
In PB, when he slash about 4/5 times in a really fast manner that alien monster, on this occasion he showed is out of normal strenght, how can a normal human stay in that catch position with a superstrong monster?
The he showed his speed on COR when he parry some of the superspeed blows from the Lord Marshal, that moves at instant speed through projecting his astral form into a place and rejoing with it performing his superfast attacks.It takes great reaction time to parry that kind of attack.Also Riddick show his durability when hitted by a Necromonger rifle used from Vaako.Normal humans were killed from that.He was only stunned from that.Not killed.

Darth Putte

yerssot
I tried that Darth Putte... but even five minutes before the ending of the movie it still didn't appeal to me messed

b-dan
sequil the best caracter in that is vakko and the guy who plays him is great in the last 2 lord of the rings movies

ragesRemorse
It's movies like this that give sci-fi and movies a bad name. Vin diesel has potential, but is pissing on it by not picking better movies.

fruits
i dunno. i saw it and it was like something was missing. i think it mighta been that in some big action scenes, there was a lack of music and sound and i didnt like that. i dunnno, it was a good movie, but i think it coulda been better

Evil Dead
I have mixed feelings on the movie........

- I love the Riddick character
- I liked how the plot was more complex......my wife couldn't follow everything, kept asking me questions. It didn't dwell on anything in attempt to beat it into the audience's head. It presented things once then moved along with the story. If you weren't paying attention, you missed it.
- pretty decent story.....even though I didn't like the whole "supernatural" element to the necromonger leader....

- I didn't like the change in the Jack character....a complete 180. I think they should have had the same role in CoR, but her not be Jack from Pitch Black.
- I didn't really mind the fx all that much......but for the first hour it looks like you're watching a video game. It got a tad annoying.

C-dic.........I think the point RZA was getting at is that Riddick isn't an "earthling" human.....he's a furion. He was the chosen one prophesized that would defeat the Lord Marshall.......which led to the Lord Marshall having all the Furion children killed, except Riddick was the sole survivor adding more drama to the final scene when he does fulfill the prophecy. I think maybe RZA misunderstood the movie and thought because he was a Furion he was magical or something......not that he is just a human from another planet, just as a human born on Mars would be a martian.

all in all.......pretty decent sci-fi flick. it has its flaws but more than makes up for it by adding depth to the Riddick character.

Any news on if they are going to continue with the series even though the movie completely bombed? I know Pitch Black only made $53 million worldwide...but it only cost $23 million to make. They still made a cool profit of $30 million off of it. The Chronicles of Riddick cost $140 million in production/advertising and only made $115 million worldwide........they lost $35 million on it. I know dvd revenue will make up some of the difference but $35 million is an awful big deficit to climb out of in dvd sales just to break even, especially for a movie that was blasted as much as this one.

cal31
Originally posted by Evil Dead
I have mixed feelings on the movie........

- I love the Riddick character
- I liked how the plot was more complex......my wife couldn't follow everything, kept asking me questions. It didn't dwell on anything in attempt to beat it into the audience's head. It presented things once then moved along with the story. If you weren't paying attention, you missed it.
- pretty decent story.....even though I didn't like the whole "supernatural" element to the necromonger leader....

- I didn't like the change in the Jack character....a complete 180. I think they should have had the same role in CoR, but her not be Jack from Pitch Black.
- I didn't really mind the fx all that much......but for the first hour it looks like you're watching a video game. It got a tad annoying.

C-dic.........I think the point RZA was getting at is that Riddick isn't an "earthling" human.....he's a furion. He was the chosen one prophesized that would defeat the Lord Marshall.......which led to the Lord Marshall having all the Furion children killed, except Riddick was the sole survivor adding more drama to the final scene when he does fulfill the prophecy. I think maybe RZA misunderstood the movie and thought because he was a Furion he was magical or something......not that he is just a human from another planet, just as a human born on Mars would be a martian.

all in all.......pretty decent sci-fi flick. it has its flaws but more than makes up for it by adding depth to the Riddick character.

Any news on if they are going to continue with the series even though the movie completely bombed? I know Pitch Black only made $53 million worldwide...but it only cost $23 million to make. They still made a cool profit of $30 million off of it. The Chronicles of Riddick cost $140 million in production/advertising and only made $115 million worldwide........they lost $35 million on it. I know dvd revenue will make up some of the difference but $35 million is an awful big deficit to climb out of in dvd sales just to break even, especially for a movie that was blasted as much as this one. Yeah, but it did very good in terms of Dvd sales, and it definetly made more than $35 million in DVD sales, so it's anyone's guess if they're going to make a sequel. They for sure are going to make another game though.

Evil Dead
are you sure it made $35 million in dvd sales? I was under the impression that one million units of a dvd sold was big time......not a whole lot of movies reach that, and that would only be around $20 million dollars, minus actual production costs for the dvd, packaging and promotion.

I'd love for them to continue the series......especially the way Chronicles ended, just don't want to get my hopes up.

Cinemaddiction
Originally posted by Evil Dead
are you sure it made $35 million in dvd sales?

"Chronicles of Riddick" sold 1.5 million copies in its first day of release. That's roughly $22 Million dollars, right there, if the average DVD when it's a new release is $15.

Evil Dead
ah......good deal.

nimbus006
COR was a great sci-fi action flick, i loved it thought it had great fight scenes and pretty decent diologue although there were some cheesy one liners, but that is excpected from Vin and to be honest some were actually pretty cool, kinda like When Vaako tells him to bow to the Lord Marshall and Riddick says " I bow to no man " pretty cool line if you ask me, anyway i am a Vin Diesel supporter, and still think he will show us his true potential soon.

faradayslaw
I loved the movie. I still think Riddick is one of the coolest anti-heroes out there, I still like Snake Plissken though. I would love to see another Riddick movie.

Bicnarok
Did anyone notice that those dog/cat mlike creatures had the same Eyes as Riddick! is there a meaning in this seeing as his story about buying his eyes in jail was nullified by jacks comments

Diesel fan
Yeah I did notice - actually in the TCoRiddick game it was sum strange voice from yonder goin on about how Riddick has been blind and that she is goin t make him see buy givin a new gift and then in the game ya can see in the dark and nasty creepy DWELLERS attack u left right and centre but a blast from the shotgun soon takes care of them big grin body parts flyin every where hahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahaha *funny* big grin

Anyway there u gan

Lady Koudelka
I thought that the movie was good, I enjoied it very much, one of my favorite movie of all times.

Susan Delgado
Well, I saw this movie many moons ago so I don't remember much of it. But I do remember the guy who played Eomer was in it, which is the main reason I saw it. Most of it was pretty kickass.

But some of it was just beyond me.

melenor
i was wondering was there any book or are the only things related to riddick are the three movies. because some of it i did not understand.

wonner
So, do u know that its gonna be a new movie 'bout Riddick. There're no detailes right now, but they are gonna start it in summersmile

Thanos_6383
really?

Soldner

veysiii

Vinnie105
Pitch black are the only 2 movies I like with vin diesel as leading actor!

I heard they would make a trilogy (apart from pitch black) about the riddick things, so there will come 2 more riddick films *hope my memory doesnt let me down*

Great films both, only the chronicles of riddick was very different then pitch black if you ask me there where a bit too much special effects..

/vin

GallantKnight
I like the ending to Riddick, but I hate all the babble about necrowhatits and elemental bores. Are they still making it a trilogy?

Wolfie
I wouldn't count on any more Riddick films. With the new "Riddick Trilogy" set that came out, I think that was signing the deal that the series is done.

Anyway, I got into this series recently. Pitch Black was pretty good. Chronicles of Riddick was just okay.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.