All the GOOD music is in the PAST

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Striel
I must be getting old, because I have found myself thinking that the only good music is all in the past. I cannot think of a single band from the last two years that I have found interesting. There have a been a few songs here and there that I have liked, but no great CD's like those from years before.

Do you agree that the music that is out right now is awful, or do you disagree?

If you think music is great now, what are some CD's that you love?

Be prepared for a good argument from me. smile

wicker_man
Have to agree with you on that one, although i love Bad Religions : Process of Belief which is a fairly recent CD release, i find myself going back to alot of my older stuff (i.e. Iron Maiden, REM, Red Hot Chilli Peppers and alot of sixties stuff).

amity75
Yeah part of me agrees but notable exceptions are the white stripes, kings of leon and possibly the strokes. One could argue that the two former are simply re-hashing old blues numbers and the strokes are ripping off blondie and the stooges etc but bands like led zep ripped off old tunes and made them their own and nobody complained. I suppose there are only so many mathematical formulaes for a good song and the barrel may be getting near the bottom.

johnny_rotten
I think, personally.that the music you grow up with stays with you for a very long time. I tend to think that most of the really BAD music was also from yesteryear. I must admit I also think that most classic bands are from over 10 years ago. But i'm getting older now, so what the hell am I doing judging the music of today?

wicker_man
thumb up Agreed

h0ck3yh0rr0r
i dont listen to rock/punk etc etc but for hip hop old school is better. Example artists like Rakim, Run DMC, Poor Rightous Teachers etc etc...

smile

agreed, i think everyone loves the music they grew up with, and the best time period of music for me was from about 1998-late 2001, i went crazy with the music i listened to, bought a shitload of cd's and enjoyed mostly all of them and still do now...now i'm not as into it as i used to be, but some bands i still do find interesting...and i don't believe in judging other peoples music, so someone else will probably find the music of now suits them perfectly

johnny_rotten
I think that statement sums it all up to be honest..

incuhead1024
id have to agree with you quite a bit. but thats what happens and it sucks. when i listen to all my cds, their first cd is always the best one. thats how it works out with almost everything, the first one's always the best. and older music is a lotttt better than what the radio is throwing out nowadays

Steven
and its the truth i agree......

total metalhead
nowadays bands that can compare to the greats like Led Zeppelin and The Who are rare, but they do exist.

Bad Boy
Try searching for new, not well known music, and then you might find the greatest artists you've ever heard!

slashwristbarbi
I'm pretty young, but I have to agree most of my cd collection is from around 10 years ago, eg, Nirvana, Hole, Smashing Pumpkins, Iron Maiden, Metallica, etc. There are some really good band s around today, like Jack Off Jill, Lacuna Coil, The Distillers, Kittie (this is just my opinion), but my favourite bands are mainly pretty hold. But I feel I should maybe point out that a lot of bands out today have'ne yet had a chance to become 'legends', and maybe in a few years and after a few brilliant cd's we'll look back and go, 'yeah, they were really good!' (if that makes any sense at all!)

mook
its a bit of a flawed idea - obviously there is a lot of great music from the past but there is also great new stuff being made (as long as you can see past all the crap)

in flames
in the past the well known mainstream music was good..nowdays most of the mainstream stuff is pure simple.commerciallized.crap

like bad boy said look for some unknown music underground or less mainstream and you will find some good bands..there is also a few good mainstreram bands nowdays " lost propherts " i got thier new album yesterday..a great follow up to thier dubet!

finti
oh i love to see what bands come up here

wicker_man
Your forgetting possibly the greatest rock band ever (IMO)...Iron Maiden .

finti
Maiden is cool, but cant compare with the mighty Zeppelin

total metalhead
thats right, except Maiden aren't and never were, and hopefully never will be cool.

wicker_man
Iron Maiden are without a doubt one of the greatest British rock bands ever, you cant beat songs like Flight of the Icarus, Trooper, Run to the Hills and The Wicker Man and unlike other bands (i.e. Metallica and KoRn) there recent album outputs have been pretty damn good.

total metalhead
Red Hot Chili Peppers

Metallica

In Flames

Smashing Pumpkins

Foo Fighters

(and i know ppl will disagree with these 2)

Tool

System Of A Down

total metalhead
ive never really got them. ive tried on numerous occasions to get into them, but for me they just cant equal Zeppelin. no one can. but thats just my opinion.

and actually Korn's latest album is very good.

wicker_man
In my opnion it was awful, even Untouchables had more emotion then this travesty, but thats just my humble opnion.

total metalhead
oh god no!!! dont mention Untouchables...thats one chapter of Korns history id like to forget.

Take A Look In The Mirror is very different from Untouchables. its emotional, but in a different way. Untouchables was mournful and depressed, TALITM is all about anger. songs like Lets Do This Now and Break Some Off are like maelstorms of rage. Jon nearly blows his lungs out. the whole album is full of effort, they wanted to make up for the fans relative disapointment from their last 2 cd's, and they do. please dont call this a travesty. i know its just your opinion but i couldnt help but take it as an insult. its one of the most powerful and involving records ive heard in a while, and even for ppl who dislike Korn, you've got to admire their spirit. they have put in 110%. more.

wicker_man
Still certain songs on this album really made me listein which an album hasn't done to me for a good few years.

total metalhead
TALITM or Untouchables?

wicker_man
Untouchables

total metalhead
really? that is universally ackknowledged as Korn worst...but i suppose it would appeal more to non Korn fans, cos it doesnt sound like Korn at all (apart from Here To Stay)

wicker_man
I particularly liked Thoughtless (both the song and the video) as it dealt with the strong issue of bullying.

clispin
i like some modern bands (like the darkness and the chilli's) but it's mostly the songs i like.
i prefer rock n roll though but i wont turn dorn enter sandman by metallica or park life by blur or rem or whatever.

Extol
Extol- Undeceived,
if you say its not good then your crazy, if you say they have no talent then you don't know music.

finti
Red Hot Chili Peppers

Metallica

In Flames

Smashing Pumpkins

Foo Fighters

(and i know ppl will disagree with these 2)

Tool

System Of A Down

Some good bands but not as good as the two legends mentioned, and you are right metal head the last two doesnt deserve to be mentioned at all

in flames
led zeppelin are unmatchable

but why doesnt tool deserve to be mentioned at all ? the lack of talent for example ? or just because they are a 90's band ?

finti
mainly because i think they suck, but hey that is just my opinion

in flames
i know..respect it..is ther a reason behind your opinion ? a clear reason why they suck ? cuz i really like them and i wanna know what they suck at big grin

finti
I just dont like them, I really dont like their tunes at all, just like Prince, a lot of people look at him as a kind of musical genuis, me I cant stand any of his stuff....... the same with tool. I just dont like them

BackFire
Tools one of hte only good new age bands around. Of course the best new band is Dredg.

finti
at least they are just as ugly stick out tongue

in flames
matter of taste i guess..still tool is the one of the best bands of th 90's.tottaly original/tottaly talented

as for dredg atlast someone mentiond them here..uniqe band

another great new age band "Opeth"

finti
where is buckwheat

total metalhead
oh yeah add Opeth to my list too. they're underrated so much.

wicker_man
Bad Religion now they're a totally under-rated band (In the UK anyways).

botankus
Why would anyone disagree with Tool? They're 10 times the band the other ones listed are. But I won't argue with System of a Clown.

total metalhead
firstly, yes Tool kick ass, and i find it hard to understand why ppl dont like them, but if you think Tool are 10 times the band any of the others are, you've obviously never heard Metallica or RHCP, who are both better bands. Foo Fighters and In Flames are just as good as Tool, and Smashing Pumpkins aren't quite as good, but there definitely not 10 times worse. and finally, System Of A Clown? what the f**k man??? thats just lame. plus SOAD are one of the most original, talented, free-thinking bands out there. you may not like them, but that doesnt change the fact that they are a true breath of fresh air. their unique.

botankus
I am 28 years old and grew up listening to real metal in the '80's and '90's like Death, Slayer, Morbid Angel, Obituary, Napalm Death, Pantera, Carcass, Anthrax, Cannibal Corpse, and Testament.

I just happen to like Tool in addition to the other bands listed above I listen to.

BTW, I saw System of a Clown once as an opening band around 1994 and for some reason they were opening up for a band like Death or Napalm Death. It was a complete mispairing, I mean some band with dreads opening up for a brutal death metal act? I mean come on.

finti
system of a clown laughing out loud

SAtown_punk
After thinking long and hard about that question..I would have to say that all the good music really is in the past. Not ALL the good music, but if we had never had The Beatles, many of the bands we love today wouldn't even be together. The past definitely had the most influential bands, there's no arguing that. As far as punk goes, the past was DEFINITELY better.

'chelle
I was just listening to Dillon yesterday

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.