Star Wars ripped off LOTR

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Bar-en-Danwedh

Kitoky
Well....it may it may not, Star Wars is something else onto it's own and is quite good, I wouldn't say it ripped off of LotR, but some things can be quite similar, but I wouldn't jump to conclusions that it's a rip off.

Iirima
Whoa...now that is FREAKY... I don't know what side to be on. But I say that it's scary!

shadowy_blue
I thought this is nothing new. Some people are aware that George Lucas used The Lord of the Rings as an influence for the Star Wars storyline. Just like how J.K. Rowling was influenced by LOTR for Harry Potter.

Bar-en-Danwedh
yeah, I was just using it in an argument with someone else, i just thought i spent too much time typing it for only one group to read it!!!
smile

shadowy_blue
Your post was pretty interesting though. big grin I've only noticed some little things that they have in common before but your post seemed to really go down to the very last detail. I haven't noticed some of those things before. big grin

shadowy_blue
LOL...Why? Is he in denial and refuse to believe those things? stick out tongue

Bar-en-Danwedh
It hadn't occured to him...

he was saying that the original trilogy of star wars was better then the prequels only because the OT was based on a better story. and i said 'yeah, LOTR' then he said he saw no similarities, so i said .

ash007
i dont really know guyserm i would more likey to say that both are different

Smodden
do you have other movies?

BIIIIIIIIGEST
BOTH STAR WARS AND LORD OR THE RINGS SUCK! HAHAHAHAHA IS JUST A JOKE YOU CRAZY CATS SO DONT GET ANGRY YOU DIG?

Kitoky
*sighs* STOP THE CAPS, NEWBIE!

Aurora
I can see the similarities! I mean LOTR was an inspiration for many writers (film and book) I think it is a huge compliment to Tolkien. The entire concept of extreme good vs. extreme evil can be converted into so many different stories w/o ever telling the same tale.

If only we could have heard Sauron say the words...... "Frodo I am your father" LOL

Bar-en-Danwedh
when i left the cinema after TTT i walked past the line for the next session and said (in my best homer simpson voice):"wow, who would have thought that Sauron was luke Skywalkers' father?"

it lots of laughs... ;p

feanor
interesting analogy...yes it is somewhat similar but i'd have to agree with Aurora.

suzypie
i still think they're pretty different.
who cares even if it is a rip off. i like both the movies

Sifer
Of course Star Wars has ALOT of inspiration from Tolkien, but it isn't ripped off. I don't see any bloody Hobbits or elves running around anywhere, do you? Neither do I see, big **** off Planets that destroy other plants in LOTR either. I also don't see any hairy bastards in LOTR either.

Not to mention Space Ships that travel in....dum du dummmmm....SPACE! Now if someone can show me that in LOTR, I will be most impressed.

Ushgarak
George Lucas is a BIG believer in the idea that all heroic stories are sourced from the same basic storyline; he created SW entirely on that idea.

As Luke was not given anything important by a relative at the point ANH was written (Leia was retroactively made his sister), the first post is referring to LOTR.

pip-foot
They are extreamly simmilar, but i dont thihnk it was ripped off. Lucas just used LOTR as a background for his story, which like was said above, a lot of authors do and it is a compliment to tolkien

Exa
Lucas said himself that he liked LoTR a lot, and there are also other similarities (though not as interesting as those posted above) - like, Endor is an elvish word for "middle-earth". The Ewoks are also often compared to Hobbits.
Very intersting listing, Bar-en-Danwedh smile)

A.D. Skinner
Exa - See I would have considered Cloud City to be the Elvish world...a peaceful community out of the way of the Evil Empire and in a beautiful landscape as well. Thinking back on it..does it not remind you of Rivendell or Lothlorien ?

I have noticed the similarities as well, but won't agree that it has ripped off. So, how would we compare the Death Star to LOTR...is that the One Ring that they are trying to destroy ?

Interesting thoughts though....thank you for sharing !

Exa
Yeah, Cloud City really sounds like some elvish realm... also the name somehow. As Im not really a Star Wars fan, I dont remember these things too well, but your description sounds pretty much like some elven refuge.

A.D. Skinner
Most of the cloud city citizens even wore the capes that the Elves would wear. Might have Lucas had something in mind when he created such a realm ?

You could even go as far as saying that C3-PO and R2D2 were closely related to Merry and Pippin. Always getting themselves into trouble, and offering the comic relief in the story line.

Ushgarak
But that was only the films so that comparison does not hold. The droids are based on characters from the Samurai Movie The Hidden Fortress.

To be honest, the differences are more stark than the similarities.

SilverFighter
Glad to see I'm not the only one to notice some similarities between both LOTR and Star Wars. Yes, both triologies are gorgeous and full of adventures, but that Lucas rip off Tolkien ideas? NO, I don't think so at all. Tolkien inspired Lucas? Yeah, that I will accept. Star Wars and LOTR are the best triologies in the history of moviemaking.

Aurora
It is very easy to spot similarities when u are looking for them. If a person tried hard enough they could make arguments that Dude Where's my CAr was based on LOTR. It is a story again of Good vs. Evil and is easily transfered into many diff ways of telling....

As I said earlier, it is a great credit to Tolkiens work that ppl who create other wonderful works could be inspired by him.

Hegemon875
Tolkien's books are also based on other older stories like Beowolf. It's impossible to come up a COMPLETELY original story, you take ideas and inspiration from other things and build upon them. You make your own unique ideas but they will always be based or inspired from other things, its just a matter of how much.

Chapel
Star Wars has many many influences, Akira Kurosawa movies, Dune by James Herbert, Lawrence of Arabia, westerns, WWII dogs fights, and of course Tolkien

Iirima
That's what happens a lot of the time. Glad you pointed that out. XD

Bar-en-Danwedh
okay, first of all i do like star wars and don't think any less of it because of what i wrote. so when i say "ripped off" i realize that that may seem a little agresive. sorry, but while i'm on the topic - the prequels suck!!!

secondly, cloud city is edoras. the ruler of it is under the control by the bad guys. but is freed of it. then evacuates the residents because more bad guys are on the way. i ended up continuing the point with a friend last night and we moved into empire strikes back and i counldn't help but bring up the fact that one of the main caracters is paralyzed at the end of it. hmmmm..... is my point still not convincing? please, just belive me to save my fingrers from typing anymore

Endor, Eriador, Endor, Eriador, hmm.... the shire is built on the farthest eastern reach of what used to be Eriador...

as for my english transformer friend, YES i realize there are no spaceships, robots, and blasters in LOTR. i hope you were being sarcastic about that being a defence...

and finnally, i didn't mean to start an argument about wether or nor SW is good or original (even George Lucas said he always thought of Obi-wan as an intergalactic gandalf). i just thought it was amusing. I saw star wars as a child and like most of you watched it a million times, and then read LOTR when i was older and by the time i got to the end of the two towers i couldn't help but think i'd heard this story before.

but don't worry, i'm sure now mater how i try i wont find any similarities between:
RETURN OF THE JEDI and
RETURN OF THE KING...
stick out tongue

Aurora
ummm I didn't dissagree with you... I think it is a good disscussion. big grin

Bar-en-Danwedh
me too..

thanx

Bar-en-Danwedh

LuthienTasartir
very onteresting. very. i dunno who ripped off who..

---------------------------------------
ROTK rocks!!!! Happy Dance

"amin mela lle, for i hope that you love me"

mah
Theories always come up about something-something ripping off something-something. Mostly they're bullcrap. Everyone gets influenced by alot of stuff, doesn't mean they're a rip off because of that.

Kitoky
Did mah just come back to us? blink MAH! Hey buddy! how was your vacation to Bulgaria? Was it nice? I bet it was!

Iirima
I've never met Mah...THE MOD!!! AAH! *bows to Mah*

mah
Bulgaria? confused
But yeah, my 'vacation' was fine. I'm still half vacated though cool

Greetings, Iirima, that's the right attitude! stick out tongue

azszhz
no don't say that cause then 3-PO would have to be Merry if you look at it, R2 being the one that does stuff to get them into trouble and the one that most people like, i couldn't live thinking of 3-PO being Merry

and i wounder if 3-PO can speack elvish sence he knows like 1000 different langauges

Kitoky
Dude mah, we haven't seen you in ages!

Bar-en-Danwedh
once again, i admit 'ripped off' was to harsh a term. I was quoting myself in a reactionary postion, i thought i explained that. I'm just saying SW was largely based on LOTR. it's mostly a fun thing, I'm not getting any real discussion here... everyones too busy being offended.

Iirima
I'm not offended! I thought it was cool, never noticed those similarities...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.