martial arts help...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

TrAnCeDuO
i need to know a few martial arts styles cuz im very interested in it but i dont know which style to choose from....specifially im looking for ones that involve the use weapons such as katana,boken,nunchaku,kendo stick,bo staff,etc....(if you say this spam then your wrong becuz martial arts is a form of sports and physical and mental activity)

BarmyBrummie
If you want something that deals with weaponry, the best style in my opinion is Kung Fu. For a more athletic style go with wu shu. I you want stick and kendo fights learn Kendo. big grin

TrAnCeDuO
hmm.....thanx i apprecciate it...anyone know where i can look these styles up?

TrAnCeDuO
and also does anyone know about jujitsu or ninjitsu?

TrAnCeDuO
im not giving up!

The Force
well jujitsu is just ground and counter techniques, well atleast that's what i've heard, but right nw i'm taking tae kwon do, which is the way of the hand and foot

total metalhead
i used to take whodah fuk ah yu. very difficult to master yes

BarmyBrummie
laughing out loud laughing laughing out loud and did you master that art TM? big grin

DaRk Lotus
I take JODO and others arts

total metalhead
i thought i had, but then i tried it out on the street and got my assed kicked by a passing paperboy.

Juventus
i think i only know taekwondo cuz i'm learning it

Asami
I've trained in Tae Kwon Do for a number of years now, 5 years straight until the school closed because of lack of funding, maybe if another year was given I would have reached my 1st dan. Ah well. Not enough ITF schools around here.

I trained a bit of Pak Mei kung fu, I found it extremely difficult to go from one form of martial arts to another.

Recently my bf's been trying to get me into Brazillian Jiu Jitsu, I think I've just lost interest in martial arts now.
If I ever fell in a fight, I'm sure what I once learnt would come back to me. Otherwise i'll resort to the art of hair pulling, scratching and biting. big grin

Bicnarok
The most effective is "Ge aGun Shut te Barstart" Very little training needed, you dont even sweat much

Dexx
whoa..lots of weapons up there...
if you're into katanas and bokens then pick kendo (wich is more rigid) or kenjutsu.

ninjutsu, or ninpo uses a greater variety of weapons...in fact...you use everything in this one smile

Asami
A very modern art indeed!

TrAnCeDuO
anyone who uses guns is a coward...but anyways thanx i really appreciate you responding to this cuz i want to know which would be best for me...

Ryan10000000000
go karate i have been doing it for 7 years in the higher levels you are taught weapon training it is a technical sort of martial art

Viper
While it doesn't usually involve weapons, if you're looking for something that would be effective in self defence I suggest Brazillian Jiu Jitsu. Everytime I see a matchup between a Jiu Jitsu expert and someone of a different martial arts backroung, the Jitsu man comes out on top.

Bicnarok
It depends what you want to learn for.
If you want to learn for self defense, dont think that karate kung fu and all that works as easy as in the Movies. Ive been in a lot of fights and mass brawls in my younger days and have easily clobbered so called "martial arts" experts, especially those who try high kicks.
Its all in the mind.
Most street fights end up in the bigger person trying to hold and hit the smaller.
So get big learn to hit hard and to hit first as the best form of defense is attack.
And weapons are for cowards are they? if being a coward means surviving a mugging, Then give me a crowbar anyday.

this may seem contraversial but Im just talking from experience, plus I did a bit of Kickboxing and it helped.

TrAnCeDuO
i agree with you....besides anyone whoever says using a weapon is cowardly is probably illiterate or ignorant cuz people have used weapons in combat since the begining of time....in one era alone 6,000 french nobles died from duels.....and besides....if i cant use meelee on them then fine.....ill just go upstairs and get my 45. magnum....

TrAnCeDuO
i know paitance is a virtue but im currently out of it....anyways...does anyone know any sites that i can refer to...

DaRk Jester
All i use is my hands and a bowstaff in combat and anyone USES GUNS
can't fight at all cuz they are too leazzzzzzy to learn the real stuff to use in combat so they hide behind guns and thats thats ninja wacko

TrAnCeDuO
i think i got it....im gonna take ninjitsu and jeet kune!

DaRk Jester
boo

TrAnCeDuO
no....boo you cuz i refuse to follow you....ill follow my own path....not yours...

tazman
if you want to learn weapons, i'd suggest escrima. i've talked to people who have taken that and it's very good for knowing how to use weapons and how to defend against them.

for just all around self defense, i'd suggest taking BJJ, and some forms of kung fu are good along with Muy Tai Kickboxing.

JKD remember is not a 'style', it's more of a philosophy. Bruce even towards the end started seeing the error of his JKD, in that people were trying to learn what their instructor had learned, instead of letting martial arts be an expression of yourself (that's when he closed down all three of his studios). that was what Bruce was after, to free your mind of all traditions and be able to express yourself through your martial arts. he studied many different disciplines, took what worked, and discarded what didn't.

i'd stay away from traditional Tae Kwon Do and Karate, watch any Ultimate Fighting Championship and that'll prove my point. big grin

good luck my friend.

AdventChild
Yup...I personally use the bo staff...and if you want to see some weapons being used such as kamas, bo staffs, nunchucks etc...then here's a link with videos....WWW.TeamRyouko.com .... great site..great guys.....Cute chris mark!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.