Smaug!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Darth Ninja
I noticed that no one is talking about Smaug. He was my character in the JRT's books. I hope there will a cool prequel version of The Hobbit after The Return of the King.

yerssot
who?

Darth Ninja
Smaug is the big red dragon in the Hobbit.

yerssot
ow! the hobbit! Ok! I only saw LotR...

queeq
Yes, I too hope The Hobbit will b made into a film. I'd like to see more of Gollum in his cave.

Mujaffa
that would be cool to see how bilbo tricked
gollum smile

queeq
Lovely. I'll tell Peter to get on with it.

Darth Ninja
Smaug was only in three scenes in the Hobbit.

1. When Bilbo first saw him sleeping.

2. When Bilbo returned and Smaug tried tricking Bilbo into reavealing himself.

3. When Smaug goes on a rampage, the the village over the lake (I forget the name) and gets killed because of his recklessness (and a special arrow shot by Bard).

Ushgarak
But who would do his voice in a film version, hmm?

mah
sean connery?

Captain REX
David Prowse... smile

They had reminders of Bilbo's journeys of the Hobbit in the FOTR film. The firework that looked like a dragon was a reminder of Smaug, and Bilbo was telling his story to the kids, although it was about the 3 trolls by that point.

I want to see the Battle of the Five Armies. Very cool battle, even though Bilbo gets knocked out by a stone during the climax! sad

Dejio
If ever Smaug gets to be on the big screen, he's gonna be the baddest dragon ever to grace the cinema.

Darth Ninja
There were only three scenes that hinted at Smaug in TFOTR:

When Gandalf looked at Bilbo's map and saw a drawing of a dragon over Erebor, The Lonely Mountain. That was where Smaug lived.

When Gandalf said "If you're referring to the incident with the dragon . . . I merely gave you a push . . . "

The Dragon firework at Bilbo's 111th birthday party.

I was so excited at each of these scenes that I yelled (out loud in the theater) "SMAUG!"
laughing out loud

Captain REX
Gandalf, giving Bilbo a "push?" Yeah, right. big grin

Dexx
well...not push. In fact he says:
" i only gave your uncle Bilbo's a liitle nudge out of the door ( or somethin' like that)
Anyway....i started to read the hobbit 2 days ago and it seems nice. ( as all JRRT's operas ) Smaug is my kind of a crook.

Palanfirith
Smaug knows how to play his cards..... evil face

FINGOLFIN
I am starting an on-line petition to get Spielberg, Jackson, or Lucas to make "The Hobbit" into a live-action film....

smile

Darth Ninja
Smaug wasn't really important in the overall story of the Middle Earth series. He was a real annoying pest . . . kinda like Jabba was in Star Wars. Once he was killed . . . no one cared about talking about him anymore except on rare occassions. big grin

Villains aren't so important once they're dead. laughing out loud

glorfindel
Ive signed the pertition(nuber 96 I think) not sure they can make the hobbit into a film as it is aimed at a youger age group? wink

Darth Ninja
The novel seem to indicate the battle against Smaug was longer. Also the fight scenes could be more 'action' oriented . . . especially when the multiple armies fight over (the late) Smaug's treasure . . .

glorfindel
the problem for me is that the hobbit is a bit too much fun and it would be hard to make into a serious film

Darth Ninja
So it could be both fun and action oriented. The battles could be long and bloody and the fun & humor could offset it. One thing is for sure . . . Smaug will be awesome and a real badass!

Dexx
Dunno if i'd like the hobbit as a movie more then just a pice in the lotr universe.
Bilbo uses the ring too damn much. And i didn't considered it too much fun either. It's a very good book for 10-12 years old.

Darth Ninja
There would be several battles. In the beginning there would be a flashback of Smaug kicking ass and doing whatever he wanted as told by the head Dwarf (forgot his hame). Bilbo did kill some giant spiders. Gandalf intervened on one part. The final battle against Smaug will be awesome. Finally the massive battle of 4 (maybe 5) armies battling it out for Smaug's treasure. There's plenty of battles to expand upon for action.

Dexx
(head dwarf..ya mean thorin?)
it's good for his first novel but it can't be compared with lotr ....or others i can think of. There are 5 armies fighting. That's how it's called: trhe battle of the 5 armies. But the story overall is childish..but it has it's beaty. It could make a good movie.

Darth Ninja
Here's an interesting question.

What would Smaug have done with Sauron's ring if he had fried Bilbo? laughing out loud

Ushgarak
Eaten it.

And Five Armies always WAS a misnomer as it was counting the Wolves.

Darth Ninja
Perhaps, Smaug could've unlocked its power . . .

Ushgarak
Not a chance.

mah
I'd like to see Smaug struggling to get the Ring on one of his fingers.

Dexx
i think his tongue is thin enough and has the same effect as a fingerbig grin
An evil invisible fire spitting thinggie.....brr...trrrible

Darth Ninja
Smaug was a very powerful dragon in The Hobbit. However, by D&D standards Smaug certainly wasn't at the Great Wyrm status for a Red Dragon. Smaug was a Mature Adult. Though far less powerful than other Red Dragons . . . Smaug was a force not to be messed with.

Ushgarak
Smaug was a baby compared to the great dragons of earlier ages that put any D&D dragons to shame.

Darth Ninja
Exactly. Smaug is an awesome villain in The Hobbit. However, had Smaug been a Great Wyrm the fatal arrow shot by Bard would've just bounced off. laughing out loud Or it wouldn't have done much more than hurt him slightly. laughing That would've pissed off Smaug even further then he already was. evil face Personally, I think it was very anti-climatic and a (lamest) joke that Smaug was killed by just ONE arrow. sick

Ushgarak
Mind you, he was pretty much the largest you could find at that time.

That is pretty much the fantasy version of the Death Star or Star Destroyers- powerful but foolish bad guys with one weakness.

Dexx
smaug's death is just a simbol representing intelligence compared with brute force.

glorfindel
eek! eek! thats deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep
i just thougth it was a dragon that got killed laughing

Dexx
well..i can't imagine smaug getting killed by multiple arrows..or heroes dashing their blades toward him. A proof that ONE arrow propperly fired did the job....but yes, killing the dragon was pretty much the resultsmile

glorfindel
Most dragons in myth (not LOTR,s which is real) do seem to be killed by a single warrior/arrow/sword sad
yet dragons are cute and nice to play with, they are just misunder stood.....poor things.
Foster a dragon today should be the new slogan of the year. Happy Dance

Dexx
what myth?....the game series?

glorfindel
what game? dragons are not a game? they are big and bad,but lovable

Dexx
yes..yes....i just thought about the game series...myth: fallen lords, wolf age and so on...nothing

glorfindel
how crass to make a game up out of such noble creatures sad

Darth Ninja
Anyone who called Smaug cute (to his face) would fried and/or eaten. laughing out loud

I am Smaug! I am strong! Strong! STRONG!

Dexx
the game isn't with those creatures. But it's called myth and u mentioning "myth" made me think you were reffering to the game...

Julie
never heard of 'im

Dexx
it isn't that good anyway..

Darth Ninja
Wasn't Smaug the last dragon on Middle Earth?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.