please grade my virus essay

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Darth Revan
Sort of an essay.. it's really short, which is what my science teacher wanted. I didn't know what else to call it.

A virus is a submicroscopic, parasitic organism that lives inside the cells of plants, animals, and bacteria. Oftentimes, they are disease causing. They are made up of essentially just a piece of nucleic acid (DNA or RNA) surrounded by a protein coat. Interestingly, they are considered by some to be nonliving. This is mostly due to the fact that they are unable to reproduce on their own. They need a living host cell to reproduce. To reproduce, a virus enters a cell. Then it releases nucleic acid (either DNA or RNA), which takes control of the cell's protein-making process. The infected cell then starts producing whatever proteins are required for the virus to reproduce. The reason many viruses cause disease is that when a virus releases it's nucleic acid, it changes the chemical makeup of the cell.
Viruses are extremely small--they range in size from .01 to .3 microns in size. A micron is 1/25400 of an inch. The largest virus is only about a tenth of the average bacteria.
The study of viruses began in 1898, when a Dutch botanist realized that something other than bacteria could cause disease. He named this particle virus, which means "poison" in latin.

Captain REX
I'll get my church leader the English major on here just to punish you... big grin

Darth Revan
laughing out loud

airangel429

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.