John Rhys-Davies[ Gimli] a 'racist'

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

ash007
Man i was really upset reading this sometimes people can suprise you

sad

http://icwales.icnetwork.co.uk/0100news/0200wales/page.cfm?objectid=13830081&method=full&siteid=50082

SlayerChick1188
well...thats interesting confused

Hania
I never thought HE would say that. He's even done some roles as a Muslim. Being a Muslim, I'm really offended.

ash007
yeah i know tell me about it you would never expect something like that

Kitoky
Hmmmm, well John is entitled to his own opinion. And there's nothin' wrong with that.

ash007
hey i am all for freedom of speach

but its that i was not expecting it coming form him i mean he played a muslim in Indiana Jones

Kitoky
Yeah that's really surprising.

Iirima
scaaaaaaary! how rude!

ElvesRule24/7
ahhhhhhhhhhhhh John, what's wrong with you man. I thought you were a smart man, a great actor. But that was just stupid. Who really cares if we live with ppl who r Muslim, black, white, gay, whatever it may be. That's what makes this world so great! There r sooooo many different ppl on it. Just remember that everyone is human in the end. Good night world.

Hania
"His attack on Muslims and comments about the threat that they pose to Western society shows his ignorance of world events and the true teachings of Islam."-That's very true. So many people have preconcieved notions about Islam, and they should really take the time to learn something about it before saying anything about it. And CNN isn't a great source of info on Islam.(just to let you know)
"But I will stand by this: Western Christianised Europe has values and experience that is worth defending."-That sounds a lot like what Sam had said to Frodo about defending Middle-Earth

Kitoky
I don't blame John at all and I'm not gonna put anything against him, but I'm going to make a note of that.

Hania
I'm sorry if I offended anyone, it just furiates me when people do this kind of stuff (eventhough they have every right to)

shadowy_blue
Yeah, I understand you. However I also can't be that mad with John though I admit it's quite shocking. But at least he spoke his mind and made honest answers even though he knows that he's risking his career. He's entitled with his own beliefs and opinions.

Kitoky
Exactly what I said....sad

Smodden
this is very disturbing...

Bar-en-Danwedh
i don't think JRD was being racist. I think most of what he was saying was worded undiplomataically leaving it with a very abbrassive aftermath. However, I also belive that the less internationally-harmoneous things said were based on stereo types that are untrue about the islamic way of life. stereo types that have been perpetuated by recent events and poor reprasentatives of the faith.

I don't think it's completely fair to make any judgment calls on him, as like so many, his opinion may be subject to a warped perspecive constructed by factions of the media who have a very predjudice interpretation of the 'facts'

shadowy_blue
Yeah, it's possible that John was either misquoted or he said words that were taken way out of context.....Something the media does all the time now to create "issues" and such. I think we have to calm down a little guys. smile

ash007
yeah but they guy actually agreed with the points

Alar
"He is not a racist in terms of race hate and nor are we," he said.

hmmm, i dont think he meant it like it sounded really...

ash007
yeah i mean even if he is not 'racist' i still have to stay his points are quite wrong

Alar
absolutely smile

ldene
he does have a point, and what he said has some justice and truth.

andyF1
i think may be he is saying we have to be careful on how many different races we let into our countries, especially in light of what is happenig in the world to day. some of the biggest empires in history were brought down because of religion.

Iirima
YAY! Someone is trying to see things in a different light! *applauds andyF1* YAAAAAAY!

fini
hmph, another sad statement of an older generation. Cant wait for them to die out along with their old fashioned veiws.

sauron
this interview was previously here in full under the thread 'go gimli'

in full he is not being RACIST

he is talking about the increase in 'fanatic' muslims.....suicide attackers.....and 'THERE' danger to the west as they seem to hate us quite alot because of the current *snickers* president and *roars with laughter* prime minister

Iirima
Glad u cleared that up, sauron. The President? Oh, God...*puts head in hands* wait, this isn't for my political rambling! *shoos self off to another LotR thread*

sumunabeech
Thanks man. Well put and to the point.
I had a whole response typed up and erased it because I didn't want to start a racial discussion.
evil face

sauron
your welcome big grin

ash007
hey i dont know where you are form sauron but in the United Kingdom The BNP is a racist group who actually wants all people who are not white out of the country.
The actor who plays Gimli is a BNP supporter

now you tell me how it is not 'racist'

Camellia
Listen to sauron!! He's got it figured out!

John is NOT racist - in fact, to some degree, I aggree with him. He was not insulting the mUslim religon, or anybody else for that matter. They were HIS views and he was justifying what 1000s of us already know.

Leave him alone, he's got a right to say what he thinks. I'm just sad that he fears that this is the end of his career!

"Here in America when that earthquake happened in Iran the reaction of everyone I knew was horror and dismay, the reaction of everyone when they heard that the old woman had been brought out alive long after they thought there was anyone there was absolute awe at the extraordinary capacity of the human spirit to survive. Contrast that with people jumping up and down and clapping at the 9/11 disaster in certain countries.

I don't think that Western society is opposed to Islamic society at all. I think a very important part of Islamic society is opposed to Western society.

It is time that ordinary Muslims stood up to be counted.

Most societies can benefit from a good stirring of genes, but most cultures are tolerant of each other. I do not see Buddhists throwing bombs into Christian churches, I do not see Christians blowing up Hindu temples, I do not see those sorts of challenges."

See what he said there? There was nothing wrong with it! *prepares to be FLAMED by everybody who disagrees*

ash007
but he supports the BNP

which is a racist party
mad

They want to kick all the blacks asians out of the country

i would call the racist wouldn't you

Camellia
Uh-oh, here they come!! Like I said, my opinion, I'm entitled to it. Besides, sauron shares my views and he's ALWAYS right big grin

A.D. Skinner
Rhys-Davies said it was "distressing to find yourself on a BNP leaflet", adding: "But on reflection, these people can't really do any great harm unless you allow them to."

I believe that John was simply looking at the bigger picture of things ( Page 2 of the link )

"I BELIEVE in racial equality not racial discrimination. All I was commenting on was that there are cultural changes taking place in Europe that I consider to be unacceptable."

In some way and fashion I agree with him. I was born and raised in the United States, and I am the least racist person I know. Though, I am forced to learn another language in my own country so that I can communicate with my fellow workers. Do I accept that ? Of course, but I am entitled to my own opinion about it as well, aren't I ?

The world is changing, and I shall change with it. Mixed cultures happen all over the world and it is something that everyone will have to accept..if you don't, then you are labeled as a racist, and everyone looks down on you. Are we not entitled to our own opinion any more, have we lost the possibility of being who we are, and saying what we want ?

- Just some food for thought people.

ash007
ok fine i give up sad

I mean i thaught society as a whole got pass that whole white and black issue.

Ok i believe in the Freedom of speach and Mr Rhys-Davies is entitled to his views.
no expression

Camellia
We HAVE got past the whole black and white issue, this has nothing to do with that.

I am proud to be British but I have NOTHING against other races. Just because I agree witrh the views doesn't make me racist...in fact, HE isn't racist!

Iirima
YAY! We solved this quite peacably...

ash007
indeed i try to avoid trouble and i try to keep to peace smile

Iirima
*applause* I can't do that too well, I don't start fights, but if there are any, I get quite involved. Hit me on the head, please.

SlipknoT
I dont really care what he said, but he is still my favorite character in lotr

Melani
wow that was surpriseing but still i know racism (spelling) is wrong but if that is how he feels then so be it, he is a great person even if there are something`s that may surprise you

sauron

sauron
and i dont care how many people shout at me or say the dislike/hate me for that post...as its my opinion im entitled to it

Iirima
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and shouldn't be flamed for it...

And I don't live in the UK, so I can't say one way or the other, I've only heard a little about Tony Blair.

sauron
heres a little more

he is a wanker

sumunabeech
That's how you get taken advantage of ash.

Well put A.D. Many people are way too sensitive. By the same token, many celebrities won't say anything to upset anyone lest they bring down the wrath of Al Sharpton.

Iirima
OKAY! Good, or bad, to know...

sauron
LOL!!!!

well in his case its a bad thing stick out tongue

Iirima
Okay! And u r right, people shouldn't come into UK or US just to get free stuff, while everyone else works hard! GRR.

ash007
hey sauron i just been to the BNP website and they also want asians and blacks who were also born here to be sent back over a 5 year period.

Also i agree with you Blair is bit of a Wanker but then again so is Mr Howerd i rather have Blair as PM then Howerd

sauron
howard?? OH YOU MEAN DRACULA! o hyes i would like him to be found with a stake through his heart...and then mr blair to be arrested on 107 charges of lying to the world....then i wuld rule england...(and soon the WORLD!!!!! who needs M:E and a ring when you can have earth...and nuke rings stick out tongue stick out tongue)

j/k

A.D. Skinner
Sauron...Although I am not on your side of the ocean, I certainly can empathize with what you must be feeling.

...on this side of the ocean, we have people like Bush... He would like to allow 300,000 immigrants to walk into this country and take jobs that should be going to U.S. Citizens here so that they can support their familes and earn a living.

I don't want to get too much into a political debate, for that is not the use of this forum...but I certainly see where you are coming from.

ash007
oh hang on A.D. Skinner correct me if iam worng but isn't Bush only give immirgrants jobs which a ordinary American wouldn't want
thats what i read.

Also in the U.K the birth rate is decreasing there are now more older people then younger people and its increasing

sauron
yeah thats what blair does

copies bush lol monkey see monkey do (and he looks like a monkey!!)

and yeah someone understands ARGH i hate blair

SilverFighter
I admit that current European politics are not known to me. I do not know what the BNP party is or what they represent, but from article they mention them quite a bit. As for John he is quoted with this:

"I BELIEVE in racial equality not racial discrimination. All I was commenting on was that there are cultural changes taking place in Europe that I consider to be unacceptable."

That sounds more like an opinion and not a racist comment. Also, I think that the fact that he is living in one of the most Cultural divided cities (Los Angeles), might have an impact on his thinking. I don't feel he is a racist man he even said it at the end "Do not brand me a racist because I am most certainly not."

ash007
yep i now understand that perfectly.

Let me tell you who the BNP are they like the KKK they hate all non-white and they want them to leave.

I have good black and asian friends and i dont like what that party is saying about them.

Also wasn't the U.S formed by imergrants like Irsh used to run the NYPD didn't they along time ago or something.

i am starting to rant but in the end i still think that the BNP sucks

sauron
ewll i think this should be done

we should get the BNP who are all white

give em loads of food and water...drop em on an island somewhere...come back in 5 year when they are all tanned and ethnic themselves...then say...so are you the same person you were before..are you still normal human being

then when they say yes..you say..well your black...so blacks are humans too in your eyes now.....

then you defeat racism stick out tongue

Camellia
WHAT?!?!? That is not what they represent at all!! They are British people that wish to get their patriotism heard - apparently, we are no longer entitled to be proud of our root and have to allow EVERYBODY into the country. I am not racist - I have nothing against other races/colours, but I agree with what sauron said: "in fact to SOME extent i agree with that...immigrants or assylum seekrs who come here get free houses..jobs and cars..while my parents have to WORK for what we have...."

I visited their website out of sheer curiosity - their policy is simply this: to get Britain back to the way that it should be, before government was weak and countries all over the world took advantage of us. Let's face it, the reason way so many people come over here is because they know they won't be stopped.

Let me stress this once more: i am NOT racist, I'm just damn proud to be British!!!big grin

Camellia
Erm, sauron? You keep contradicting yourselfconfused

stick out tongue

Hania
Wow, a lot has happened since I last posted. Sauron, I do agree with you, on some points. Yes I also believe that Blair is a "Wanker", and so is Bush! On the immigration thing. Millions of people flock from their countries to the US and the UK, because they see it as an oppurtunity for them to have better lives. Unfortunately many do take advantage of it, while our parents work their butts off. Not all immigration is bad, but the US , for a fact, only takes in immigration when they need a work force.And if the thing about expelling immigrants who were not born in the certain countries came into affect, the countires would, to be frank, screwed, I know the US definately would, we're a country of immigrants. I'm rambling about all these different points that just come into my head and I don't think I'm making total sense, but I hope you all get what I'm ytrying to say.

feanor
In light of where this conversation seems to be heading and that I've somewhat came into the middle of it, not one person here who has said they are not racist is in someways still...I for one have been guilty of it. Let the migrants work the fields while I would prefer the cushy job somewheres else. But that is the way of things. Too many allowed does tax the system, too little then there's a problem in areas where most people would rather work in. i.e. maid service, dishwasher, carwasher,janitors, and so on. Somehow and I'm guessing, there should be at least a middle ground to where all parts of the party which is not of the whole but at the least of which is beyond the completion of the half...uh? lost track

sauron
really lol...where how...*reads*

and erm..im not racist if thats what you tried to imply feanor....i just dont like how everyone is getting into the country....not stopped at all......they should at kleast be properly checked for background info and stuff with the increase in suicide bombing in iraq...and then the two recent attempted attacks on england....

the thing is if tony goes...we have howard....hes worse...and if he goes we are run byt *gulp* lib dems

Iirima
No, weren't you going to rule after that? stick out tongue Err...I'll just stay out of this, because many people want to slap me for my anti-Bush ramblings, and I don't know anything about British politics...

aniron
his cooments aren't as bad as some ppl r making out, I'm not agreeing with him, but has anybody thought that maub whats he was saying couldmean something else and not a rcist remark? maybe just a comment on muslim population, thats what it seemed, and he mentioned something tolkien said so maybe he's just showing examples, the media like to mess thing up a bit.

Bar-en-Danwedh
when you where talking about howard the vampire...
to whome were you refering?

feanor

wfdstgshahd
I think the desire to be tolerant is clouding your critical judgment. Despite what Islam may teach, many muslim societies are extremely repressive and I might add, intolerant of the values you are defending.

ash007
this is not a LOTR desicussion so hopefully this thread will be now closed

Ushgarak
Absolutely, this discussion has beomf ehighly politicised. Do not digress inbto this kind of talk again, the comments and attacks on certain politics and Bush/Blair comments are absolutely not allowed here.

Closing- do not do this again.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.